Mark Sanchez retires from NFL for high-profile ESPN job

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

If Eli's D doesn't come through in the 2007 playoffs Eli is gone from the Giants by 2009 or 2010.  If Mark's D holds a double digit lead in Indy, his career goes in a very different direction.  Eli wouldn't have been starting for another team (unless their starter for hurt) in the last 5 years even with the SB wins

In 2 title games mark Sanchez led his Os to 17 pts each time and lost, in an 2 title games led his Os to 17 & 20 in regulation and won.

Exactly.

The Rex Ryan Manifesto was to win based on a) a dominant Top 3 defense and b) a ground-and-pound running game.  In the AFC Championship Games, the D was extremely average and the RB's were dead in their tracks.  And in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, forget it, Rex doubled-down on D and completely ignored the passing game and we saw disastrous results.

As a 22 year old kid thrust into the New York spotlight and playoff runs, Mark Sanchez was one of the few Ryan Jets who actually exceeded expectations.  The defense and ground attack we how we were built and it is how we failed.

SAR I

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I can't knock the guy. He had a 10 year career in the NFL and made a lot of money.  He's only 32, and (to my knowledge) hasn't suffered any major head injuries. Also I believe he's now married and has kids. It makes sense to take a cushy TV gig rather than bounce around the league fighting for a spot on someone's roster.

Good for him

This, well said.

Mark was never an issue of effort here, he tried real hard to not fail.  He just wasn't good enough and was IMO over-drafted.  He got carried by overall team talent a few years, and when that wore down, he was exposed as a guy who just never got any better, despite trying.  he had a couple of great runs, and he personally played pretty well in the playoffs.  I hold him no real grudges.  He was never a dick IMO.  Just disappointment.

Wish him the best in his ESPN career.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

I can't knock the guy. He had a 10 year career in the NFL and made a lot of money.  He's only 32, and (to my knowledge) hasn't suffered any major head injuries. Also I believe he's now married and has kids. It makes sense to take a cushy TV gig rather than bounce around the league fighting for a spot on someone's roster.

Good for him

Agreed.  The writing was on the wall that his days as a starter were long behind him.  So why go through all that angst and aggravation instead of taking a relatively low-stress, cushy job.

16 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

His fumble for a TD gave the Steeler's the difference in their AFCCG 24-19 win.. But it was all Rex's fault.. :-k

Hypothetically he doesn't fumble on the BLIND SIDE HIT, it's 4th down deep in our territory.  We punt, Pitt gets the ball near midfield and likely comes away with a FG.  The score at the half would have been 20-0 instead of 24-3, a 1 point differential.  That play did not cost us the game, the D coming out and getting dominated to start that game then down only 5 with about 3 minutes left and the D allowing Pitt to run out the clock cost us the game.

4 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Hypothetically he doesn't fumble on the BLIND SIDE HIT, it's 4th down deep in our territory.  We punt, Pitt gets the ball near midfield and likely comes away with a FG.  The score at the half would have been 20-0 instead of 24-3, a 1 point differential.  That play did not cost us the game, the D coming out and getting dominated to start that game then down only 5 with about 3 minutes left and the D allowing Pitt to run out the clock cost us the game.

I posted what did happen you posted what you thought might happen big difference..

33 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Exactly.

The Rex Ryan Manifesto was to win based on a) a dominant Top 3 defense and b) a ground-and-pound running game.  In the AFC Championship Games, the D was extremely average and the RB's were dead in their tracks.  And in the 2011 and 2012 seasons, forget it, Rex doubled-down on D and completely ignored the passing game and we saw disastrous results.

As a 22 year old kid thrust into the New York spotlight and playoff runs, Mark Sanchez was one of the few Ryan Jets who actually exceeded expectations.  The defense and ground attack we how we were built and it is how we failed.

SAR I

Yes. Ground, and Pound. Needs to be Ground, Pound and Score lil more than opponent, one more point.

• Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The part about one half of football changing a players entire career trajectory. 

The fans and media wanted Eli (and coughlin) out heading into the 2007 postseason, if they don't win it changes everything.  If Mark wins one in the first 2 years his leash gets long like Eli's has.

8 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

I posted what did happen you posted what you thought might happen big difference..

I posted what likely happens, our D was crushed that first half.  Pitt may even have scored a TD, I was being kind only giving them 3.  The D cost us both title games but the D also led is to both title games.

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

The fans and media wanted Eli (and coughlin) out heading into the 2007 postseason, if they don't win it changes everything.  If Mark wins one in the first 2 years his leash gets long like Eli's has.

I posted what likely happens, our D was crushed that first half.  Pitt may even have scored a TD, I was being kind only giving them 3.  The D cost us both title games but the D also led is to both title games.

And the D shut them out in the 2nd half our O scored 3 in the first half. Likely isn't fact I could say maybe the D intercepts Ben for a pick six but guess what it didn't happen..

2 minutes ago, Savage69 said:

And the D shut them out in the 2nd half our O scored 3 in the first half. Likely isn't fact I could say maybe the D intercepts Ben for a pick six but guess what it didn't happen..

And with the game on the line what did the D do? 3 minutes to play, all 3 TOs and the D allowed Pitt to run out the clock.

I was in that stadium that night, the crowd was deathly nervous about us getting the ball back. Fortunately for them it never happened.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

SANCHEZ delivered it?  I believe you mean Mangold, Ferguson, Brandon Moore, Damien Woody, Darrelle Revis, David Harris, Kris Jenkins, Shaun Ellis, Sione Pouha, Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, Bryan Thomas and Tony Richardson delivered the best Jets football in their lifetime. 

He was the QB and they were both teenagers. Matter of perspective. Those playoff wins were the two coolest games I got to watch with them. Go drop the jizz in your Hotty wife and have a couple of your own. That’s if you got any left. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

We win the game if Kyle Wilson catches that interception instead of dropping it. If you recall the play he probably would have returned it for a TD. As I recall it was midfield and he would have caught in stride with an open field in front of him.

• Upvote 2

I just remember when Jets fans were all like; yeah, so what?  Big deal!  The Jets made back to back AFC Championship games.  Where are the trophies and banners?  Freaking loser fans, all nostalgic about sucking. 

Fast forward 8 years and the Jets have enjoyed so many successful seasons and playoff appearances that turning your nose up to the success of those teams was truly a spot on assessment of how Jets fans should treat those years.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

36 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

100%. We get that ball back we win, pure and simple. And the Steelers and their fans knew it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

This, well said.

Mark was never an issue of effort here, he tried real hard to not fail.  He just wasn't good enough and was IMO over-drafted.  He got carried by overall team talent a few years, and when that wore down, he was exposed as a guy who just never got any better, despite trying.  he had a couple of great runs, and he personally played pretty well in the playoffs.  I hold him no real grudges.  He was never a dick IMO.  Just disappointment.

Wish him the best in his ESPN career.

The NFL Draft when Mark was selected by the Jets was on the big video screen in the Coliseum during our Spring Game, and there was an audible stunned reaction  from the crowd when you selected Mark...great guy, but he was always a game manager on a loaded team on offense and defense. One game he was needed to come through on his own, he failed, causing us a chance to play in the NC game.

Anyone comparing Mark to Sam in any way, save that they’re both out of USC, is stupid and knows nothing about the QB position.  Find another dig, otherwise YOU sound like a fool.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, section314 said:

100%. We get that ball back we win, pure and simple. And the Steelers and their fans knew it.

I'm not 100% sure we win but I know we at least would have had a chance.  

Steeler fans were very nervous after we cut it to 5.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I'm not 100% sure we win but I know we at least would have had a chance.  

Steeler fans were very nervous after we cut it to 5.

Jets D had completely smothered the Packers earlier that season too even though we lost the game. We had a good chance of beating the Packers in the superbowl if we got there.

Sanchez was overdrafted, and terribly developed. I know, I know, I am going to get whacked in the head with top D, top running game, blah blah blah. When he had those things, he went to back to back AFCCG's. The mistake game going into 11. Anyone who watched him knew he wasn't ready to take the next step and carry an offense. They got rid of his best weapons and replaced them with malcontents. Schitty was a horrid OC for Sanchez. He never was going to be a top flight QB, but if handled properly he could have been a top 15 QB in the league for a lot of years. Ill never understand the hate for him, a lot of it was after that stupid GQ article, which was idiotic. I remember being at a bar in the city with a bunch of friends for his first game, and the majority of the Jets fans were saying he sucked 1 game in. He was really disliked by the fanbase. Will never understand it.

• Upvote 1

Was a big Mark fan. 

Gave us some of the most entertaining football we’ve had in decades. Vinny, Chad, Favre, Fitz for 5 games, Mark is right up there. 

Never agreed with the hate but I can understand it although I totally disagree with it.  

Wayne Hunter and swapping out good guys for jerkoffs killed him. 

Wishing him good luck in his next career. Was always a good guy, loved being a Jet and always gave his all. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Jets D had completely smothered the Packers earlier that season too even though we lost the game. We had a good chance of beating the Packers in the superbowl if we got there.

The SB would have been very different, that October game was windy and it affected both offenses.  I think we would have seen a game where both Os were in the 20s.  I wish we would have seen it