Mark Sanchez retires from NFL for high-profile ESPN job

3 hours ago, sourceworx said:

I can't knock the guy. He had a 10 year career in the NFL and made a lot of money.  He's only 32, and (to my knowledge) hasn't suffered any major head injuries. Also I believe he's now married and has kids. It makes sense to take a cushy TV gig rather than bounce around the league fighting for a spot on someone's roster.

Good for him

Work smarter not harder

I always loved Mark, he brought me two of the most exciting seasons I’ve ever watched as a Jets fan. Look at his playoff stats, he played well enough to get us to the show. Nothing but love for him.

Mark Sanchez beat Peyton Manning in his last game as a colt. He essentially stamped Manning’s colt career with an ouster from the playoffs.

So there.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 hours ago, Untouchable said:

Agreed

All of these jokers defending Sanchez for being carried to back to back AFC Championship games.

Disgusting 

Grossman at least made it to a Superbowl. 

There were probably about 50 QB's in the league at the time Sanchez was here that could have led those 2009 and '10 Jets teams at least as far as Sanchez made it.  He did absolutely nothing to warrant Jets fans' admiration other than just happening to be the QB that went along for the ride. 

Meanwhile they also seem to forget that he did everything in his power to almost keep us from making the playoffs in '09.  9-win teams are never a guarantee to make the postseason.  Remember the game where we rushed for over 300 yards as a team but still lost to the Bills because of Sanchez's 5 interceptions?  I mean, wtf.  The 2009 team should have won 11-12 games, and the 2010 team should have won the division. 

The Sanchez of 2011 and 2012 was the exact same as the one in 2009 and 2010.  And the same Sanchez that failed miserably in all of his subsequent stops.  He doesn't deserve the praise he gets from Jets fans.  They say he "led" us to 2 deep postseason runs.  I say he cost us at least one Super Bowl, possibly 2.  Sanchez wasn't the REASON for those playoff runs.  We won in SPITE of the QB. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

you should take this argument and present it to the guy who says Eli is a HOFer.....

Not sure where you stand on that, or if you are one of the ones saying he is not (then my point is moot).  But if Eli is a HOFer, then Sanchez was amazing for us those two years.  can't have it both ways.

Yeah, if 20 additional TDs and 1200 additional yards per are meaningless you might have a point.

Oh and getting past those two championship games to get into the SB.

Without ever having the leagues number 1 D, running game and RB.

Its not both ways

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

There were probably about 50 QB's in the league at the time Sanchez was here that could have led those 2009 and '10 Jets teams at least as far as Sanchez made it.  He did absolutely nothing to warrant Jets fans' admiration other than just happening to be the QB that went along for the ride. 

Meanwhile they also seem to forget that he did everything in his power to almost keep us from making the playoffs in '09.  9-win teams are never a guarantee to make the postseason.  Remember the game where we rushed for over 200 yards as a team but still lost to the Bills because of Sanchez's 5 interceptions?  I mean, wtf....

Actually it was 318 yds rushing..=D>

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Mark Sanchez beat Peyton Manning in his last game as a colt. He essentially stamped Manning’s colt career with an ouster from the playoffs.

So there.

Would have been stronger if Peyton didnt go on to win a SB after that and Sanchez into obscurity.

Other than the well publicized buttfumble 

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Sanchez was overdrafted, and terribly developed. I know, I know, I am going to get whacked in the head with top D, top running game, blah blah blah. When he had those things, he went to back to back AFCCG's. The mistake game going into 11. Anyone who watched him knew he wasn't ready to take the next step and carry an offense. They got rid of his best weapons and replaced them with malcontents. Schitty was a horrid OC for Sanchez. He never was going to be a top flight QB, but if handled properly he could have been a top 15 QB in the league for a lot of years. Ill never understand the hate for him, a lot of it was after that stupid GQ article, which was idiotic. I remember being at a bar in the city with a bunch of friends for his first game, and the majority of the Jets fans were saying he sucked 1 game in. He was really disliked by the fanbase. Will never understand it.

In 2010 Mark Sanchez led 5 miracle 4th quarter comebacks to bail out the suspect defense and turned 6-10 into 11-5. 

In 2011 Mark Sanchez had the Jets at 8-5 with 3 easy games to play against teams with losing records and the D crapped the bed in Philly and let Victor Cruz go 99 yards to end our season and our brief AFC elites era. 

As a rookie, Mark Sanchez was carried. In 2010 and 2011 Mark Sanchez did the carrying. In 2012 Mike Tannnenbaum put the worst WR's on the field in Jets history. In 2013 Rex Ryan got Mark Sanchez killed in a meaningless preseason game. 2014 John Idzik bet on the QB he drafted.

Its a tragedy. You couldn't have destroyed a young potential franchise QB who had shown such promise so early if you tried. It's a cautionary tale for where we're headed with Sam Darnold.

SAR I

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Meanwhile they also seem to forget that he did everything in his power to almost keep us from making the playoffs in '09.  9-win teams are never a guarantee to make the postseason.  Remember the game where we rushed for over 200 yards as a team but still lost to the Bills because of Sanchez's 5 interceptions?  I mean, wtf.  The 2009 team should have won 11-12 games, and the 2010 team should have won the division. 

The Sanchez of 2011 and 2012 was the exact same as the one in 2009 and 2010.  And the same Sanchez that failed miserably in all of his subsequent stops.  He doesn't deserve the praise he gets from Jets fans.  They say he "led" us to 2 deep postseason runs.  I say he cost us at least one Super Bowl, possibly 2.  Sanchez wasn't the REASON for those playoff runs.  We won in SPITE of the QB. 

Sanchez was definitely along for the ride but he played pretty well in the postseason. 10th all-time post season qb rating - not a bad list to appear on. 

Rank Player Rate Years Tm
1 Bart Starr+ 104.8 1956-1971 gnb
2 Kurt Warner+ 102.8 1998-2009 2TM
3 Matt Ryan 100.8 2008-2018 atl
4 Drew Brees 100.0 2001-2018 2TM
5 Aaron Rodgers 99.4 2005-2018 gnb
6 Nick Foles 98.8 2012-2018 phi
7 Alex Smith 97.4 2005-2018 2TM
8 Joe Montana+ 95.6 1979-1994 2TM
9 Russell Wilson 94.9 2012-2018 sea
10 Mark Sanchez 94.3 2009-2018 nyj

If only Favre could have stuck around for a few years we might have played some home playoff games in 09/10.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Sanchez was overdrafted, and terribly developed. I know, I know, I am going to get whacked in the head with top D, top running game, blah blah blah. When he had those things, he went to back to back AFCCG's. The mistake game going into 11. Anyone who watched him knew he wasn't ready to take the next step and carry an offense. They got rid of his best weapons and replaced them with malcontents. Schitty was a horrid OC for Sanchez. He never was going to be a top flight QB, but if handled properly he could have been a top 15 QB in the league for a lot of years. Ill never understand the hate for him, a lot of it was after that stupid GQ article, which was idiotic. I remember being at a bar in the city with a bunch of friends for his first game, and the majority of the Jets fans were saying he sucked 1 game in. He was really disliked by the fanbase. Will never understand it.

The thing is now though if the QB isnt capable of carrying the offense you get a new QB. 

As Mike Westhoff said about the 2009 & 2010 Jets: "Mark was on the bus, but he wasn't driving it."

Rex took over a good team from Mangini. I just wish they all figured out a way to keep Favre another year or two while they developed Sanchez. I have to believe a healthy Favre led Jets team would have made it to one of those SBs.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, SAR I said:

In 2010 Mark Sanchez led 5 miracle 4th quarter comebacks to bail out the suspect defense and turned 6-10 into 11-5. 

In 2011 Mark Sanchez had the Jets at 8-5 with 3 easy games to play against teams with losing records and the D crapped the bed in Philly and let Victor Cruz go 99 yards to end our season and our brief AFC elites era. 

As a rookie, Mark Sanchez was carried. In 2010 and 2011 Mark Sanchez did the carrying. In 2012 Mike Tannnenbaum put the worst WR's on the field in Jets history. In 2013 Rex Ryan got Mark Sanchez killed in a meaningless preseason game. 2014 John Idzik bet on the QB he drafted.

Its a tragedy. You couldn't have destroyed a young potential franchise QB who had shown such promise so early if you tried. It's a cautionary tale for where we're headed with Sam Darnold.

SAR I

Invest, in the investment. Was a good kid too. Shame. Is that Meadow Soprano how did I miss her, she not hot enough to attract the Apache eye?

IMG_0684.JPG

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The thing is now though if the QB isnt capable of carrying the offense you get a new QB. 

Certainly fair, but outside of the top 5 every year, very few can carry an offense. You can win a SB with 6-20 as well, but need the right pieces around them. 

8 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Certainly fair, but outside of the top 5 every year, very few can carry an offense. You can win a SB with 6-20 as well, but need the right pieces around them.  

Problem is Sanchez was never close to being a top 20 QB, that playoff QB rating notwithstanding.  He wasn't even a Top 40 QB in the league at any given time. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Sanchez was definitely along for the ride but he played pretty well in the postseason. 10th all-time post season qb rating - not a bad list to appear on. 

Rank Player Rate Years Tm
1 Bart Starr+ 104.8 1956-1971 gnb
2 Kurt Warner+ 102.8 1998-2009 2TM
3 Matt Ryan 100.8 2008-2018 atl
4 Drew Brees 100.0 2001-2018 2TM
5 Aaron Rodgers 99.4 2005-2018 gnb
6 Nick Foles 98.8 2012-2018 phi
7 Alex Smith 97.4 2005-2018 2TM
8 Joe Montana+ 95.6 1979-1994 2TM
9 Russell Wilson 94.9 2012-2018 sea
10 Mark Sanchez 94.3 2009-2018 nyj

If only Favre could have stuck around for a few years.

wow.  where is Eli on this list?

14 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Sanchez was never talented enough to be in that 6-20 range. He was backup who carved out a decent career. 

• Upvote 1

Good for Sanchez.
He’s a jet through and through. He wanted so badly for the Rex Ryan here to get over the hump and is still a jets fan till this day.

Didn’t he pick us to go 13-3 this coming season?

It just sucked that he wasn’t good enough.

He also showed a great sense of humor with that commercial directed toward Tom Brady last season. It ducks that it was him behind center when we had the best Running game and Defense in the NFL but oh well.

Best of luck butt fumbler

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Looking forward to his Ring Of Honor ceremony and seeing him around the team and at games in the near future.

Congratulations, Mark.

SAR I

Legit question: What has he done to gain admission to the Ring of Honor in your opinion? How does he stack up, Jets career-wise, compared to these guys?

• Weeb Ewbank
  • Winston Hill
  • Curtis Martin
  • Don Maynard
  • Joe Namath
  • Larry Grantham
  • Freeman McNeil
  • Gerry Philbin
  • Al Toon
  • Wesley Walker
  • Joe Klecko
  • Mark Gastineau
  • Marty Lyons 
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nyjunc said:

The fans and media wanted Eli (and coughlin) out heading into the 2007 postseason, if they don't win it changes everything.  If Mark wins one in the first 2 years his leash gets long like Eli's has.

I posted what likely happens, our D was crushed that first half.  Pitt may even have scored a TD, I was being kind only giving them 3.  The D cost us both title games but the D also led is to both title games.

Cause Dilfer lasted so long with the ravens after being dragged to a championship by an elite defense

• Upvote 1

Did he EVER correctly read a defense? He sucked worse than Geno Smith. He made the SAME, MINDLESS, STUPID mistakes over and over and over again. Not once did I ever see this dingbat learn from his stupid rookie mistakes and stop doing them. I don't care how long this idiot could have learned if he'd stayed at USC longer, he was NEVER NFL material.

3 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Sanchez was never talented enough to be in that 6-20 range. He was backup who carved out a decent career. 

I think before his shoulder injury, he had enough ability to be in the 15-20 range, no higher than that. I think if he was coached properly, and put in the right situation, he could have been that. But its ancient history, and not a topic I want to invest a ton of time and energy into anymore.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, NYJ1 said:

Did he EVER correctly read a defense? He sucked worse than Geno Smith. He made the SAME, MINDLESS, STUPID mistakes over and over and over again. Not once did I ever see this dingbat learn from his stupid rookie mistakes and stop doing them. I don't care how long this idiot could have learned if he'd stayed at USC longer, he was NEVER NFL material.

Sanchez was the rare player who was better in the playoffs than regular season

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

I think before his shoulder injury, he had enough ability to be in the 15-20 range, no higher than that. I think if he was coached properly, and put in the right situation, he could have been that. But its ancient history, and not a topic I want to invest a ton of time and energy into anymore.

Sanchez was too inaccurate and prone to turnovers.  Yeah Schittenheimer was a bad OC but Sanchez would have sucked anywhere

7 hours ago, SAR I said:

JETS-ROS-MSANCHEZ.jpg

Looking forward to his Ring Of Honor ceremony and seeing him around the team and at games in the near future.

Congratulations, Mark.

SAR I

Inducting Mark Sanchez in our ring of honor will be the Jetsiest Jets thing the Jets can do. 

48 minutes ago, Philc1 said:

Sanchez was the rare player who was better in the playoffs than regular season

That's only because the games were much more choreographed for him. He could blatantly stare down intended receiver and then throw them the ball. Our OL was so dominant defenders were constantly preoccupied with stopping the run that they didn't even see Sanchez staring down receivers. It was pathetic and a very poor display of football from teams like the Bengals and Chargers. I really only think he had ONE good playoff game. He pitched a masterpiece against the Patsies. However, he was complete and utter garbage in the regular season.

I think it's good I didn't believe too much in Sanchez or I'd be more heartbroken than I already was in that time. I believed more in the overall team more than I ever did Sanchez. 

Even as a child I could recognize that the numbers and film Sanchez put on display wasn't ever that impressive even when we were winning.