Mark Sanchez retires from NFL for high-profile ESPN job

7 hours ago, JiF said:

I just remember when Jets fans were all like; yeah, so what?  Big deal!  The Jets made back to back AFC Championship games.  Where are the trophies and banners?  Freaking loser fans, all nostalgic about sucking. 

Fast forward 8 years and the Jets have enjoyed so many successful seasons and playoff appearances that turning your nose up to the success of those teams was truly a spot on assessment of how Jets fans should treat those years.

The guy Jets fans love to credit for those two “magical” years also directly contributed to the Jets sucking ass for the ensuing ten years. Rex single-handedly ruined this franchise in ways that Rich Kotite could only dream about.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1
  • Post of the Week 1

7 hours ago, Savage69 said:

True but Chaddy cakes knocked a much younger Peyton out of the playoffs 41-0 B)

Indeed he did.... Indeed he did. 

Those were some fun and hopeful times eh?  Chad running out for the game headbutting the whole team in excitement. I was all in on that guy. 

• Upvote 2

9 touchdowns in 6 playoff games doesn't cut it. 
In the first round of the 2009 postseason, the Cardinals outdueled the Packers 51-45, the Cowboys put up 34 and the Ravens 33.  In the 2nd round you had the Saints putting up 45 and the Vikings scoring 45.  In the Conference Title games you had the Saints scoring 31 and the Colts 30.  In the Super Bowl the Saints put up 31 points.  The Jets averaged less than 20 points per game.  So no, Sanchez didn't perform "well enough to get us to the show", or else we would have, you know, gotten to the show.  Especially since the defense only allowed 28 points total over the first 2 rounds.  The DEFENSE did well enough to get us there.  Mark Sanchez did not. 
In the 2010 postseason, the Ravens scored 30 in the 1st round.  The Seahawks beat the Saints 41-36.  The Bears beat the Seahawks in Round 2, 35-24.  The Packers beat the Falcons 48-21.  The Steelers beat the Ravens 31-24.  In the Super Bowl, the Packers beat the Steelers 31-25.  The Jets averaged just 21 points per game.  And Sanchez himself handed the Steelers 7 points on a key strip-sack to end the 1st half against the Steelers.  He also had a key turnover on downs at the Steeler 2 in the 2nd half.  So no, Sanchez didn't perform "well enough to get us to the show", or else we would have, you know, gotten  to the show.  Especially since the defense only allowed 18 points per game over the 3 games.  The DEFENSE did well enough to get us there.  Mark Sanchez did not. 
He did a decent job of avoiding turnovers in the postseason (3 INT, 2 Fumbles) compared to his usual Sanchezian self.  That's about the only good thing you can say about his playoff performances as a whole.  And even then, that strip sack I mentioned was the worst possible turnover at the worst possible time.  It's not like he was flinging up a hail mary and had it picked off in the end zone at the end of a half.  He essentially cost us a chance at a comeback with that turnover. 
Yes, I just used a lot of words to explain how someone was wrong about Mark Sanchez and games played over 8 years ago.  But if people are going to continue making stupid arguments to explain that Mark Sanchez was better than he's remembered, I'll continue showing how you're dead wrong. 
At the end of the day the only stats that matter are wins of losses. Sanchez did enough to get the team to back to back afc championship games he unfortunately didn't bring us to a superbowl but he gave us some decent football behind a good team and never caused any problems or headaches off the field?

Sent from my LGUS991 using JetNation.com mobile app

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, shevys said:

Legit question: What has he done to gain admission to the Ring of Honor in your opinion? How does he stack up, Jets career-wise, compared to these guys?

• Weeb Ewbank
  • Winston Hill
  • Curtis Martin
  • Don Maynard
  • Joe Namath
  • Larry Grantham
  • Freeman McNeil
  • Gerry Philbin
  • Al Toon
  • Wesley Walker
  • Joe Klecko
  • Mark Gastineau
  • Marty Lyons 

Mark Sanchez did more as a Jet and was worth more as a Jet than the following Ring Of Honor members (your list is incomplete):

Al Toon
Freeman McNeil
Wesley Walker
Marty Lyons
Wayne Chrebet

Those guys were "sentimental fan favorites", not best-of-all-time caliber players.  Mark Sanchez was the second-best Jets quarterback of all time and provided us the best 3 year run in franchise history.  Road playoff wins, epic fourth quarter comebacks, elevating his game in the postseason, having very limited talent around the passing game, having a lunatic head coach who hated offense.....Mark Sanchez deserves the ROH ahead of any of these guys.

SAR I

• Thumb Down 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, SAR I said:

Mark Sanchez did more as a Jet and was worth more as a Jet than the following Ring Of Honor members (your list is incomplete):

Al Toon
Freeman McNeil
Wesley Walker
Marty Lyons
Wayne Chrebet

Those guys were "sentimental fan favorites", not best-of-all-time caliber players.  Mark Sanchez was the second-best Jets quarterback of all time and provided us the best 3 year run in franchise history.  Road playoff wins, comebacks, elevating his game in the postseason, having very limited talent around the passing game, having a lunatic head coach who hated offense.....Mark Sanchez deserves the ROH ahead of any of these guys.

SAR I

Now you’re just flat-out trolling. You honestly think he had a better Jet career than Wesley Walker or Freeman McNeil? Oy

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

In 2010 Mark Sanchez led 5 miracle 4th quarter comebacks to bail out the suspect defense and turned 6-10 into 11-5. 

In 2011 Mark Sanchez had the Jets at 8-5 with 3 easy games to play against teams with losing records and the D crapped the bed in Philly and let Victor Cruz go 99 yards to end our season and our brief AFC elites era. 

As a rookie, Mark Sanchez was carried. In 2010 and 2011 Mark Sanchez did the carrying. In 2012 Mike Tannnenbaum put the worst WR's on the field in Jets history. In 2013 Rex Ryan got Mark Sanchez killed in a meaningless preseason game. 2014 John Idzik bet on the QB he drafted.

Its a tragedy. You couldn't have destroyed a young potential franchise QB who had shown such promise so early if you tried. It's a cautionary tale for where we're headed with Sam Darnold.

SAR I

Still consider that Snoopy Bowl game a highlite.  Mark sucked.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sanchez was the rare player who was better in the playoffs than regular season

And since the Ryan Jets were built to win on D and RB, having a decent game manager who is cap-friendly and plays his very best in the biggest games was quite a luxury.

If the D showed up in Indy or Pittsburgh, Mark Sanchez would have been a Super Bowl quarterback, might have even won one.  But, no, Jets fans just want to brush him under the carpet because they love love loved Rex Ryan's blue collar bluster and bought into his scapegoating of the QB who saved his ass in '10 and set him up for the playoffs in '11.

For Rex to keep his job in NY and get his second job in Buffalo, Mark Sanchez had to be thrown under the bus as the excuse.  Mark didn't play D and he wasn't a Ground & Pounder.  Mark did okay and deserves our respect and inclusion in the Ring Of Honor.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Ghost said:

Inducting Mark Sanchez in our ring of honor will be the Jetsiest Jets thing the Jets can do. 

I'm sorry your Giants friends teased you about the Buttfumble and played upon your SOJ victim shtick.  Mark Sanchez is second only to Joe Namath and won twice as many playoff games and threw far fewer interceptions.

WTF did Al Toon and Freeman McNeil do except have long careers as compilers?  Marty Lyons?  If these three are in the ROH, so too shall be Mark Sanchez.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, shevys said:

Now you’re just flat-out trolling. You honestly think he had a better Jet career than Wesley Walker or Freeman McNeil? Oy

Those guys didn't win anything and played small in big games.  They are compilers.  Stuck around for a long time and built a pool of worthless stats that made them "leading receiver" and "leading rusher" for a short moment in time.

They're Rusty Staub and David Wright.  Loveable losers whose posters hung on your wall and shouldn't have.

SAR I

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

Still consider that Snoopy Bowl game a highlite.  Mark sucked.

Ryan and Tannenbaum's 2012 was a cluster f-ck for Mark Sanchez.  Tony Sporano at OC.  Chaz Schillens, Stephen Hill, and Clyde Gates at WR.  Overweight Shonn Greene one foot out the door.  As-if flirtation with Peyton Manning.  Tim Tebow punt protector media circus.  Disaster.

The best decision in the world in 2013?  Yeah, let's draft an awful Geno Smith instead of getting a strong QB coach, a set of WR's to bond with, and a rebuilt offensive line to try to develop the most promising franchise quarterback prospect we've had since Joe Namath.  Looking back, building around Mark was the right decision and we blew it.  Geno Smith, Michael Vick, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, Josh McCown.  Boy, good thing we got rid of that Sanchez kid after all he'd shown us with talented WR's and a running game going on a team-best 18-4 run in his first two seasons.

SAR I

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

I'm sorry your Giants friends teased you about the Buttfumble and played upon your SOJ victim shtick.  Mark Sanchez is second only to Joe Namath and won twice as many playoff games and threw far fewer interceptions.

WTF did Al Toon and Freeman McNeil do except have long careers as compilers?  Marty Lyons?  If these three are in the ROH, so too shall be Mark Sanchez.

SAR I

Be good at their respective positions, for starters.

And, you know, actually have long term success with the team, not 2 seasons (really, just 1 mediocre season).

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

A young QB comes out of USC a year early and is drafted high in the 1st round by the Jets. 

This story sounds familiar... 

and both times we traded up in the 1st round to get our guy. 

and both times the guy who drafted him was named Mike.

source.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Sanchez was too inaccurate and prone to turnovers.  Yeah Schittenheimer was a bad OC but Sanchez would have sucked anywhere

Schitty looked like a league-worst coordinator with Sanchez. Actually looks competent with Russell Wilson.

3 hours ago, SAR I said:

Al Toon
Freeman McNeil
Wesley Walker
Marty Lyons
Wayne Chrebet

Those guys were "sentimental fan favorites", not best-of-all-time caliber players.  Mark Sanchez was the second-best Jets quarterback of all time and provided us the best 3 year run in franchise history.  Road playoff wins, epic fourth quarter comebacks, elevating his game in the postseason, having very limited talent around the passing game, having a lunatic head coach who hated offense.....Mark Sanchez deserves the ROH ahead of any of these guys.

SAR I

Al Toon,Wesley Walker.

I damn well aint/will not put Sanchez above those two , in Jets history.

especially Wesley Walkers 12 years of loyal slavery for less pay and no wins.

...ok, maybe above Al toon

c21f6241b6cef6b9074131b16c3c25e5.gif

The internet is so biopolar. Maybe, just maybe, the appropriate evaluation of Sanchez is somewhere between "money thief dog who was terrible at all facets of the game" and "diamond in the rough who with proper development and weapons could've been a top 10 QB."

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, jgb said:

The internet is so biopolar. Maybe, just maybe, the appropriate evaluation of Sanchez is somewhere between "money thief dog who was terrible at all facets of the game" and "diamond in the rough who with proper development and weapons could've been a top 10 QB."

Despite my strong protest of SARs beliefs regarding Marks career, I actually think this is fair.

I will go to my grave believing that everything this team did in the 2011 off-season, all in the name of penny pinching to chase Nnamdi, helped break the shiniest toy we had had in a very long time.  Then 2012 happened and it was like we took the toy and decided to shove it up our own rear end in the name of "experimenting".  Instead of happiness and pleasure, we ended up ripping our a**hole and were left with nothing but pain (physical and mental) and a sh*tty battered toy that needed to be thrown out.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Despite my strong protest of SARs beliefs regarding Marks career, I actually think this is fair.

I will go to my grave believing that everything this team did in the 2011 off-season, all in the name of penny pinching to chase Nnamdi, helped break the shiniest toy we had had in a very long time.  Then 2012 happened and it was like we took the toy and decided to shove it up our own rear end in the name of "experimenting".  Instead of happiness and pleasure, we ended up ripping our a**hole and were left with nothing but pain (physical and mental) and a sh*tty battered toy that needed to be thrown out.

It's also possible to believe Mark wasn't handled very well but also that he wasn't very good.

• Upvote 4

28 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Yeah I know.  I think the truth is somewhere in between that.

It's one reason I'm not sold on Darnold and I cringe at the assumptions that he's already arrived or that it's foregone that he will be elite. I really thought Sanchez would continue to improve. It was the final push from "optimistic" to "show me, then we'll talk" type of fan.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

It's also possible to believe Mark wasn't handled very well but also that he wasn't very good.

The current guy who reminds me of Sanchez is actually Jared Goff—mush Cali bro with arm talent who doesn’t see the field particularly well and needs to be spoon-fed an offense. What the Rams did was build entirely around those limitations. What the Jets did was keep the infinitely dumber version of Jeff Fisher as Sanchez’s coach 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The current guy who reminds me of Sanchez is actually Jared Goff—mush Cali bro with arm talent who doesn’t see the field particularly well and needs to be spoon-fed an offense. What the Rams did was build entirely around those limitations. What the Jets did was keep the infinitely dumber version of Jeff Fisher as Sanchez’s coach 

As harrowing as this sounds, I’d take Sanchez over Goff. 

I fully believe that Mark would have produced better than 3 points in the super bowl on that team.

Hint: that’s more of an indictment of Goff than it is a credit to Sanchez. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SAR I said:

Ryan and Tannenbaum's 2012 was a cluster f-ck for Mark Sanchez.  Tony Sporano at OC.  Chaz Schillens, Stephen Hill, and Clyde Gates at WR.  Overweight Shonn Greene one foot out the door.  As-if flirtation with Peyton Manning.  Tim Tebow punt protector media circus.  Disaster.

The best decision in the world in 2013?  Yeah, let's draft an awful Geno Smith instead of getting a strong QB coach, a set of WR's to bond with, and a rebuilt offensive line to try to develop the most promising franchise quarterback prospect we've had since Joe Namath.  Looking back, building around Mark was the right decision and we blew it.  Geno Smith, Michael Vick, Ryan Fitzpatrick, Bryce Petty, Christian Hackenberg, Josh McCown.  Boy, good thing we got rid of that Sanchez kid after all he'd shown us with talented WR's and a running game going on a team-best 18-4 run in his first two seasons.

SAR I

Rex was in love with Mark, no matter how bad he was.  This prompted a change.  Thank goodness.  Rex was just as bad because he neglected the offense just like Bowles did.  I am excited for the future .

21 hours ago, T0mShane said:

All told, and even with all the bullsh*t he endured here, he was always a good, classy guy. I always think back to that story about him visiting that sick kid at his house where the kid was sleeping when he got there and Sanchez waited on the couch for something like four hours until he woke up. Wasn’t even a PR thing, either. IIRC, there was no media present and the only reason we found out about it was because of the kid’s mother talking about it. 

Good post! He was such an example for the youth. Remember when Lassie kept barking at him and led him to Rex's place when he got stuck in the bathtub and Mark saved him just as the water got up to his nose?

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The guy Jets fans love to credit for those two “magical” years also directly contributed to the Jets sucking ass for the ensuing ten years. Rex single-handedly ruined this franchise in ways that Rich Kotite could only dream about.

dumb jim carrey GIF

3 hours ago, jgb said:

It's one reason I'm not sold on Darnold and I cringe at the assumptions that he's already arrived or that it's foregone that he will be elite. I really thought Sanchez would continue to improve. It was the final push from "optimistic" to "show me, then we'll talk" type of fan.

You can't be serious? The Jets in 2009/2010 had a top 5 offensive line & the best run blocking line in the entire league. 

Sanchez holds the NFL record as the only QB to lose a game in which his team ran for over 300 yards! He threw 5 picks in that game. Mark Sanchez was not a smart QB & never really learned the game. His bad plays followed him to other teams, this wasn't just a Jets issue.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Jetster said:

You can't be serious? The Jets in 2009/2010 had a top 5 offensive line & the best run blocking line in the entire league. 

Sanchez holds the NFL record as the only QB to lose a game in which his team ran for over 300 yards! He threw 5 picks in that game. Mark Sanchez was not a smart QB & never really learned the game. His bad plays followed him to other teams, this wasn't just a Jets issue.

Yes, I am serious. There were so many "analyses" posted here and otherwise about how if Mark followed the same trajectory from year 1 to year 2 he's be at worst, an average starter.

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

You make very good points and hopefully Douglas takes these lessons and apply them to build around Sam with the next could of drafts, sadly I think Mac repeated the 2012 draft (at least he was fired so there is still hope the Jets will not repeat 2013 as well...)

Mark should have been benched during and after the Titans game in 2012  https://www.espn.com/nfl/game?gameId=321217010  it was by far his worst performance and the turning point of his career and the Jets, you could see him giving up, losing confidence, etc... 

Rex needed be a HC and not a fan boy, so he deserves the blame but not sure I can forgive Mark for that moment, he retired on that day, every other game after that was a waste of everyone's time (except for bloopers)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, SAR I said:

Al Toon
Freeman McNeil
Wesley Walker
Marty Lyons
Wayne Chrebet

SAR I

SAR...might want to really re-think that one.

• Upvote 1