Mark Sanchez retires from NFL for high-profile ESPN job

On 7/23/2019 at 9:38 PM, SAR I said:

Freeman McNeil

Wesley Walker
SAR I

Wesley Walker in 81-82 playoffs.     4 games, 338 yards, 2 TDs.    That includes the Mud Bowl.   

Freeman McNeil, 7 starts in the playoffs.   748 total yards, 4 touchdowns. 

So stop.  Yes, Sanchez had some good playoff games, but don't be arguing just to argue.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Anything after his injury is irrelevant IMO. He lost half his arm strength and was not an NFL caliber thrower at that point.

Oh FFS we're going with the Chad Pennington defense now?

How about his fumbling (52 career fumbles)?  Did his bum shoulder cause any of those that happened after 2012?

1 hour ago, GREENBEAN said:

Don't you EVER talk about Freeman McNeil in a negative context again!!!  I LOOOOOOVE Him!! 

He's most of the reason I'm a Jets fan....

wait a second...  he's the reason I'm a Jets fan??

That guy is an a$$hole for getting me into this crap!! 

Carry on 

+1

Freeman McNeil was the best running back in football for at least one season.  Was Mark Sanchez ever in the top 50% of Qbs? 

1 hour ago, NoBowles said:

Your mistaken my disagreement with misunderstanding. Particularly in 2010, the defense was not the best defense in the league, it was in 09, but not in 10. Sanchez absolutely contributed to that 2010 season, and led 5 late improbably comebacks that the defense blew late leads on. Im wasting way more time than I should on this topic, I don't give a rats ass about Sanchez.

Um... in 2010 they lost 5 games.  In 4 they didn't even score in double digits.  In two of those they lost by 4 points or less.  Against the Packers they lost by 9, but only gave up 9 points.  Yep, Sanchez carried that defense on his back. 

SAR spoke about both years.  The 2010 defense was still a top D, but 2009 was historic.  They gave up less points and yardage than the 2015 Broncos.  Almost 50 yards less per game than the '86 Giants, who gave up the same amount of points.  Less yardage than the 2013 Seahawks, who gave up 5 fewer points.  I don't know how many pick 6's Phil Simms, Russell Wilson, or Jim McMahon gave up, but I checked years ago and for 49 of the points against the Jets in 2009 the defense wasn't even on the field.  I personally remember two Ted Ginn kick returns for which I personally hold Danny Whitehead responsible and Darren Sharper's 99 yarder + a bunch of fumbles. That defense only gave up like 11 and a half a game.  The only team better than that was the 2000 Ravens.  They gave up 10 and change, but Dilfer had 2 pick sixes against the Titans, or it would have been 9.5.  The 2000 Ravens also, were 2nd in yards allowed. 

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

Um... in 2010 they lost 5 games.  In 4 they didn't even score in double digits.  In two of those they lost by 4 points or less.  Against the Packers they lost by 9, but only gave up 9 points.  Yep, Sanchez carried that defense on his back. 

Not sure where I ever said Sanchez carried anyone on his back, but I did say he contributed to wins that season. The offense won 6 games in 2010 where the Defense gave up 20 or more points, and the defense lost a game where the offense scored 34. I don't see that as the defense carrying a terrible QB that year, and I certainly don't see, and never said Sanchez carried anybody. But I don't think its fair to say in 2010 they won in spite of him. 2009 that could be said up until the playoffs, but that is not the case in 2010.

Again, the hate is unreal, and again, not sure why Im wasting so much time on this stupid topic.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh FFS we're going with the Chad Pennington defense now?

How about his fumbling (52 career fumbles)?  Did his bum shoulder cause any of those that happened after 2012?

The Sanchez hate is irrational, and leads to irrational discussion, not really interested anymore, but by all means, carry on FFS

30 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Not sure where I ever said Sanchez carried anyone on his back, but I did say he contributed to wins that season. The offense won 6 games in 2010 where the Defense gave up 20 or more points, and the defense lost a game where the offense scored 34. I don't see that as the defense carrying a terrible QB that year, and I certainly don't see, and never said Sanchez carried anybody. But I don't think its fair to say in 2010 they won in spite of him. 2009 that could be said up until the playoffs, but that is not the case in 2010.

Again, the hate is unreal, and again, not sure why Im wasting so much time on this stupid topic.

I don't hate Sanchez, but he was not very good or even good.  I doubt our true feelings are that far apart.  We are going back and forth when it wasn't even your post that pissed me off - but the other was a straight troll job.  We waste our time on such a stupid topic because it is too soon to argue about whether Polite is too small, too slow or too dumb to succeed or whether we should sign Anderson long term.  Therefore, I continue...

20 points is your barometer?  If you gave up 20 points in 2010 you had a top 10 defense. How about he only one two games where the D gave up more than 20.  31-23 against the Dolphins and 30-27 against the Texans.  FWIW, 23 points would be within the top 20.  3 teams averaged more than 27 allowed.  I don't really like to rip him too much, but to suggest he was anywhere near as responsible for that team's success as the D is a joke.  2010 Jon Kitna gets that team a home game in the playoffs

• Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

20 points is your barometer?  If you gave up 20 points in 2010 you had a top 10 defense. How about he only one two games where the D gave up more than 20.  31-23 against the Dolphins and 30-27 against the Texans.  FWIW, 23 points would be within the top 20.  3 teams averaged more than 27 allowed.  I don't really like to rip him too much, but to suggest he was anywhere near as responsible for that team's success as the D is a joke.  

Man, you have either have some serious hate issues, or some serious reading comprehension issues. You keep suggesting I am saying things I haven't. Please point out where I said he was anywhere near as responsible for that teams success as the defense? I said he contributed and they didnt wn in spite of him, how exactly does that translate to what you wrote?

2 minutes ago, NoBowles said:

Man, you have either have some serious hate issues, or some serious reading comprehension issues. You keep suggesting I am saying things I haven't. Please point out where I said he was anywhere near as responsible for that teams success as the defense? I said he contributed and they didnt wn in spite of him, how exactly does that translate to what you wrote?

Read my edit.  

I was primarily responding to a prior post by someone else. Someone who lumped 2009 and 2010 together.  I don't hate you, or Sanchez.  That doesn't mean that I have to think he was even an average QB.  As I said, even a Jon Kitna level QB gets that team further.  He contributed the way that any QB has to contribute.  No team is winning 9-0, unless they were playing the Jets. Did the 2017 Jaguars win because of Blake Bortles or in spite of him?  

We Jets fans sure do love our JAGs. But Mark Gastineau can choke on one for the Browns playoff game (he wasn’t even the one who hit Kozar first), Martin is a worthless compiler, and Revis derseves to rot because he wanted money. Can’t make this stuff up.

Happy for Mark. Good guy, good looking, sense of humor, self deprecating even, intelligent, well spoken, should have a long career in TV. 

He tried, just wasn’t very good and was never properly developed. Playing for a defensive coach who didn’t give a sh*t about the offense wasn’t the best strategy, 

Never understood the hate for him. He didn’t pick himself 5th, and he gave everything he had. Maybe if Wayne Hunter could have held a block for more than a second. 

• Thumb Down 1

On 7/23/2019 at 3:17 PM, jgb said:

Cause Dilfer lasted so long with the ravens after being dragged to a championship by an elite defense

How many championships did that great D win without Dilfer?

Dilfer wasn't drafted by Baltimore, that had no loyalty to him.  Their HC was an offensive coach and wanted to win scoring more rather than using the formula that worked for Baltimore (and would later work for NYG).  

That HC has never had a second chance to be a HC and that great D never won or even made another SB (2012 was a different era and Flacco and the O led that SB run).

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

How many championships did that great D win without Dilfer?

Dilfer wasn't drafted by Baltimore, that had no loyalty to him.  Their HC was an offensive coach and wanted to win scoring more rather than using the formula that worked for Baltimore (and would later work for NYG).  

That HC has never had a second chance to be a HC and that great D never won or even made another SB (2012 was a different era and Flacco and the O led that SB run).

Seems you’re in the QB gets credit for all wins camp. That’s cool, but that means they need to take the blame for all losses, too. And that includes Sanchez.

12 hours ago, jgb said:

Seems you’re in the QB gets credit for all wins camp. That’s cool, but that means they need to take the blame for all losses, too. And that includes Sanchez.

Mark Sanchez was not why we made those championship games, he helped us but the D led us there.  Once there the D let the team down, Eli's D's did not let his teams down.

So another thread is being derailed into a sh*t on Eli thread. 

Mark Sanchez, Baker Mayfield but some nutjob needs to dump on Eli. 

I cant wait till he dumps on Eli in the Countdown to Kickoff thread. 

And I hate the Giants and Eli but come on now. This is getting really pathetic. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

My favorite all time Jets moment including our SB win was the day the Jets released Sanchez. Ok, it's an exaggeration I'll take the Namath prediction and then that W over Mark. But that day is high on my list. Nothing personal against Mark he seems like an ok guy he was just a terrible Qb. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, nyjunc said:

Mark Sanchez was not why we made those championship games, he helped us but the D led us there.  Once there the D let the team down, Eli's D's did not let his teams down.

Pretty fair

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s kind of one of the things I really liked about him. 

After throwing a TD and running around like a jubilant kid, hugging teammates,  I loved that. 

That part was good....not the sulking and throwing things when he messed up, and the inability to rebound.  

15 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

That part was good....not the sulking and throwing things when he messed up, and the inability to rebound.  

It’s weird, I never took him for a sulker (other than his one weird press conference) and I don’t really remember him throwing things. 

I think the most absurd criticism he took was for eating the hotdog. I mean, at that point in a blowout where he played really well and was done for the day, who really gave a sh*t what he ate. If it was a protein bar, would people have been cool with it?

I thought it was perfectly fine. 

56 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

It’s weird, I never took him for a sulker (other than his one weird press conference) and I don’t really remember him throwing things. 

I think the most absurd criticism he took was for eating the hotdog. I mean, at that point in a blowout where he played really well and was done for the day, who really gave a sh*t what he ate. If it was a protein bar, would people have been cool with it?

I thought it was perfectly fine. 

The one loss that the defense couldn’t stop a little mouse of a RB running between their legs....,and with all that talent on offense and defense, throws a pick...

53 minutes ago, Hackenberg said:

New York. New Jersey. 

Sanchez is the poor  man's Eli Manning.

Manning, 2007/10 ,Super Bowl Champion.

Sanchez, 2008/9 , AFC conference  championship loss.

Manning is Macy's. 

Sanchez is the Dollar tree.

2x super bowl champion and MVP and future HOFer.

7 minutes ago, jgb said:

2x super bowl champion and MVP and future HOFer.

See..I didn't realize that part. People here saying the defense won the SBs  for him and he won  SB   mvp,  twice. He's  already in the hall then. 

And I bet this  year he goes  off. Barkley will open it up for him. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

See..I didn't realize that part. People here saying the defense won the SBs  for him and he won  SB   mvp,  twice. He's  already in the hall then. 

And I bet this  year he goes  off. Barkley will open it up for him. 

I think the Eli hate is overblown but his WR corps looking mighty thin. He’s not a Brady or Brees-level player that can make things happen without talent on the outside. He’s always capitalized when he had a good performing cast but looked rather average without. He still gets to the Hall based on those two SB MVPs and has a place in my heart for sparing us 50 years of a geriatric Brady waxing poetic about the perfect season, but I don’t see him going off this year.

• 4 years later...