Cowboys Cut Allen Hurns

Ghost

We need depth in this position badly. With having 2 injury prone receivers for the next couple years (Enunwa/Crowder) it wouldn't shocks me if these guys miss even just a couple games. If both of these guys end up hurt on one game, are starting lineup could look something like this....

1. Robby Anderson
  2. Josh Bellamy
  3. Deontay Burnett
  4. Quadree Henderson
  5. Cheone Peake
  6. Greg Dortch?

? 

Having a guy we can put on the shelf while going through injury with some potential he could start this year could be worth a roster spot on this year's 53. 

• Upvote 1

The Cowboys have Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Randall Cobb and Tavon Austin (Punt Returner) at WR along with a couple late round WR's from recent drafts (Cedrick Wilson, Noah Brown) and 2019 UDFA Jon'Vea Johnson (Toledo).  So it's not like Hurns is being cut for being terrible, its just a crowded WR room at the moment, and there's only so much room for veteran WR's who can't contribute much on special teams. 

Meanwhile, we have room for a guy like him. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

You dont recover from that kind of injury to play reciever.  Hes done.

One a side note, is there going to be a new thread on every guy that gets cut?  Cant we sticky one thread so we dont pollute the board?  

If Hurns can play, he should be added to the roster.   The Jets should be looking for every chance they can not to extend Robbie Anderson.  

Yes, I believe there will be a new thread for every player cut and/or available for trade.  When you have a roster that someone knowledgeable ranked Qvale as the 33rd best player on the team, there is a lot of potential for upgrade/improvement.  

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

One a side note, is there going to be a new thread on every guy that gets cut?  Cant we sticky one thread so we dont pollute the board?  

Easier as separates, the kids can weed out the BS and let it drop rather than have to read through all the BS. If it's worthy it will get bumped up.

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Caris Lavert came back in less than 3 months.  Hurns was already working out at their mini-camp.  The Cowboys didn't even want to cut him, he just wouldn't take a pay cut.  

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His last relatively healthy season (2017), he was ranked the # 9 WR in the NFL based on DVOA.  He was also ranked # 12 in that category back in 2015.  Only 27 years old as well.

He's worth a look. 

With BLAKE BORTLES 

but man that injury had to be one of the most brutal looking injuries i’ve ever seen on live tv.

im not sure if he’ll ever be the same.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

One a side note, is there going to be a new thread on every guy that gets cut?  

Yes

Cant we sticky one thread so we dont pollute the board?  

No, that would be too efficient.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Cowboys have Amari Cooper, Michael Gallup, Randall Cobb and Tavon Austin (Punt Returner) at WR along with a couple late round WR's from recent drafts (Cedrick Wilson, Noah Brown) and 2019 UDFA Jon'Vea Johnson (Toledo).  So it's not like Hurns is being cut for being terrible, its just a crowded WR room at the moment, and there's only so much room for veteran WR's who can't contribute much on special teams. 

Meanwhile, we have room for a guy like him. 

Cobb is done, Austin stinks

Hurns blows

6 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I’m not advocating signing this guy for a guaranteed contract. I see absolutely no issue with signing him and seeing how he performs in camp and pre-season. 

Low risk with a potential good reward. 

Hes had maybe 8 good games in his career.  That was 3 or 4 years ago.  And has done nothing since.  

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Hes had maybe 8 good games in his career.  That was 3 or 4 years ago.  And has done nothing since.  

so let's fabricate inaccurate "facts" about his injury because you don't like him.  

The Dolphins have signed Hurns to a 1-year deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037243/article/roundup-dolphins-ink-wr-allen-hurns-to-1year-deal

Roundup: Dolphins ink WR Allen Hurns to 1-year deal

Print
  • By Grant Gordon NFL.com
  • Published: July 26, 2019 at 08:53 a.m.
  • Updated: July 26, 2019 at 12:10 p.m.

Allen Hurns didn't take long to catch on with another team.

Officially released Wednesday by the Cowboys, Hurns signed a one-year contract with the Dolphins, Miami announced Friday. His new deal is worth up to $3 million, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported per a source informed of the situation.

Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Cowboys would be parting ways with Hurns following just one season in Dallas that ended with a hard-to-watch ankle injury in the NFC Wild Card Round against the Seahawks.

By Rapoport's account, Hurns' ankle is ready to go and his quick signing by the Dolphins would support that.

Heading into his sixth season, Hurns, who had a 1,000-yard season in 2015 with Jacksonville, joins a Dolphins receiving corps that features likely starters Kenny Stills and DeVante Parker with Brice Butler in the slot and the explosive Albert Wilson returning from injury.

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The Dolphins have signed Hurns to a 1-year deal.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037243/article/roundup-dolphins-ink-wr-allen-hurns-to-1year-deal

Roundup: Dolphins ink WR Allen Hurns to 1-year deal

Print
  • By Grant Gordon NFL.com
  • Published: July 26, 2019 at 08:53 a.m.
  • Updated: July 26, 2019 at 12:10 p.m.

Allen Hurns didn't take long to catch on with another team.

Officially released Wednesday by the Cowboys, Hurns signed a one-year contract with the Dolphins, Miami announced Friday. His new deal is worth up to $3 million, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported per a source informed of the situation.

Rapoport reported Tuesday that the Cowboys would be parting ways with Hurns following just one season in Dallas that ended with a hard-to-watch ankle injury in the NFC Wild Card Round against the Seahawks.

By Rapoport's account, Hurns' ankle is ready to go and his quick signing by the Dolphins would support that.

Heading into his sixth season, Hurns, who had a 1,000-yard season in 2015 with Jacksonville, joins a Dolphins receiving corps that features likely starters Kenny Stills and DeVante Parker with Brice Butler in the slot and the explosive Albert Wilson returning from injury.

If he catches on for the whole year and impresses them.  Then he'll probably have fun playing with Justin Herbert in 2020.

On 7/23/2019 at 12:57 PM, Rsherman28 said:

We need depth in this position badly. With having 2 injury prone receivers for the next couple years (Enunwa/Crowder) it wouldn't shocks me if these guys miss even just a couple games. If both of these guys end up hurt on one game, are starting lineup could look something like this....

1. Robby Anderson
  2. Josh Bellamy
  3. Deontay Burnett
  4. Quadree Henderson
  5. Cheone Peake
  6. Greg Dortch?

?

Having a guy we can put on the shelf while going through injury with some potential he could start this year could be worth a roster spot on this year's 53. 

Yeah but thats not a 'starting lineup' in the sense that the Jets have to use all 6 WRs. Assuming Enunwa and Crowder get hurt (which very well may not happen). You have Robby, Burnett and Dortch (assuming he carves his way into the backup slot WR role) as your WRs. You can use Herndon, Bell and Montgomery as guys who can catch the ball in non-WR roles.

I honestly don;t think that is too bad, considering you have your to 2 WRs hurt. Pleanty of teams in the NFL are no better off. Hurns would not really help much, IMO, and I'd rather he not take a spot away from Burnett or Dortch (young players who we should be developing). 

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Yeah but thats not a 'starting lineup' in the sense that the Jets have to use all 6 WRs. Assuming Enunwa and Crowder get hurt (which very well may not happen). You have Robby, Burnett and Dortch (assuming he carves his way into the backup slot WR role) as your WRs. You can use Herndon, Bell and Montgomery as guys who can catch the ball in non-WR roles.

I honestly don;t think that is too bad, considering you have your to 2 WRs hurt. Pleanty of teams in the NFL are no better off. Hurns would not really help much, IMO, and I'd rather he not take a spot away from Burnett or Dortch (young players who we should be developing).  

Hurns is now a Dolphin, so it ended up being moot. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Hurns is now a Dolphin, so it ended up being moot. 

Either way, I still think the Jets are not desperate at the WR position as some other Jet fans will make it seem. 

I really liked what I saw from Burnett last year and take it for what it is but he def. seems to have some chemistry with Sam. 

We have yet to see what Dortch can do but from what I have seen of him in college, he is the perfect backup slot WR who can also contribute as a returner.

And that leaves 1 spot for whoever proves they can add the most to this team. Assuming Jets carry 6 WRs.  

Just now, PepPep said:

Either way, I still think the Jets are not desperate at the WR position as some other Jet fans will make it seem. 

I really liked what I saw from Burnett last year and take it for what it is but he def. seems to have some chemistry with Sam. 

We have yet to see what Dortch can do but from what I have seen of him in college, he is the perfect backup slot WR who can also contribute as a returner.

And that leaves 1 spot for whoever proves they can add the most to this team. Assuming Jets carry 6 WRs.   

I tend to agree.  And receivers like Hurns will always be available off the street if Enunwa or another receiver were to get hurt.  Once you get down to the WR 4/5/6 on the roster you need those guys to be able to contribute on specials.  Otherwise you risk cutting someone important to make room.

• Upvote 1