The unbelievable next level Jamal Adams can reach

July 23, 2019 | 12:06pm

Enlarge Image
Jamal Adams
Jamal AdamsGetty Images

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am examining the roster and giving you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 2: Jamal Adams

Last year’s ranking: 3

Position: S

Age on Opening Day: 23

How acquired: Selected in the first round of the 2017 Draft

Years left on contract: 2 (plus a team option for a third)

2019 Salary Cap figure: $6.1 million

Looking back at 2018: Adams had a monster second season that resulted in him being named to his first Pro Bowl. It won’t be his last.

Adams was one of the few bright spots for the Jets in 2018. He was everywhere on the field for Todd Bowles’ defense. Adams showed that he is a smart, instinctual player. He is not afraid to mix it up at the line of scrimmage and also has the speed to cover large areas of the field. Adams is an effective blitzer and there are not many safeties who can play the run like Adams.

He played in all 16 games last year. He finished the season with 115 tackles, 12 passes defensed, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one interception, 3 ½ sacks, nine tackles for loss and eight quarterback hits.

Adams was a star in many games. The one that stood out to me was the first game against the Patriots at MetLife Stadium. He was a beast in that game. He had 10 tackles and three passes defensed. He did an amazing job covering Rob Gronkowski when he was on him in the game.

Pro Football Focus rated Adams second out of 93 safeties the site graded.

Outlook for 2019: The Jets hope Adams will be a core player for them for the next decade. In two years, he has already shown he is one of the best safeties in the NFL.

New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will surely find some creative ways to use Adams. He is a coach’s dream because of his versatility. Adams can play deep safety and can be like an extra linebacker near the line of scrimmage. He can blitz, play the run and cover tight ends and running backs as well as wide receivers.

The only knock on Adams is his low interception total. He only has one in his career. That came in Week 1 last year. If he ever becomes a ball hawk in addition to what he already does well, he will be the total package.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Adams was a star in many games. The one that stood out to me was the first game against the Patriots at MetLife Stadium. He was a beast in that game. He had 10 tackles and three passes defensed. He did an amazing job covering Rob Gronkowski when he was on him in the game.

This is a professional sports journalist currently working for a major publication in the largest media market in the world.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

His instincts in coverage/the passing game just aren’t there and those things rarely improve(have it or you don’t). Low interception numbers in college have followed him into the league.

Great at the non-thinking go get the ball carrier plays around the LOS. Disruptive, solid blitzer.

His value is really tough to quantify. The Jets secondary needs help depending the pass and he doesn’t really add value there.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

39 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

July 23, 2019 | 12:06pm

Enlarge Image
Jamal Adams
Jamal AdamsGetty Images

As the Jets get close to training camp, I am examining the roster and giving you my top 25 players. Each weekday, we will reveal another person on the list, leading right into camp. I am not including rookies on this list because I do not feel it is possible to fully evaluate them before they play a game.

No. 2: Jamal Adams

Last year’s ranking: 3

Position: S

Age on Opening Day: 23

How acquired: Selected in the first round of the 2017 Draft

Years left on contract: 2 (plus a team option for a third)

2019 Salary Cap figure: $6.1 million

Looking back at 2018: Adams had a monster second season that resulted in him being named to his first Pro Bowl. It won’t be his last.

Adams was one of the few bright spots for the Jets in 2018. He was everywhere on the field for Todd Bowles’ defense. Adams showed that he is a smart, instinctual player. He is not afraid to mix it up at the line of scrimmage and also has the speed to cover large areas of the field. Adams is an effective blitzer and there are not many safeties who can play the run like Adams.

He played in all 16 games last year. He finished the season with 115 tackles, 12 passes defensed, three forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one interception, 3 ½ sacks, nine tackles for loss and eight quarterback hits.

Pro Football Focus rated Adams second out of 93 safeties the site graded.

Outlook for 2019: The Jets hope Adams will be a core player for them for the next decade. In two years, he has already shown he is one of the best safeties in the NFL.

New defensive coordinator Gregg Williams will surely find some creative ways to use Adams. He is a coach’s dream because of his versatility. Adams can play deep safety and can be like an extra linebacker near the line of scrimmage. He can blitz, play the run and cover tight ends and running backs as well as wide receivers.

The only knock on Adams is his low interception total. He only has one in his career. That came in Week 1 last year. If he ever becomes a ball hawk in addition to what he already does well, he will be the total package.

I mean, it’s like this was written by one of those computer AI things in 1994. Was Costello having a stroke as he wrote this? 

Don't forget the intangibles.  Being that these are not exactly very... well, tangible it is easy to claim that they exist at the same time as being useless as part of any proofs (or disproofs)  for any assertions that might be made.

Things like "taking it to the next level" baby.

I took an escalator to the next level at a mall once.  True story.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EM31 said:

Don't forget the intangibles.  Being that these are not exactly very... well, tangible it is easy to claim that they exist at the same time as being useless as part of any proofs (or disproofs)  for any assertions that might be made.

Things like "taking it to the next level" baby.

I took an escalator to the next level at a mall once.  True story.

and then the mall closed.

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Leader of the 29th ranked defense last year.

I do think he can reach that next unbelievable level of 2 ints a year maybe.

So this is how you judge a player, a db no less, according to how a D is ranked?

Especially given how may complaints you had with the roster, HC and DC last year, seems pretty.....odd

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Matt39 said:

His instincts in coverage/the passing game just aren’t there and those things rarely improve(have it or you don’t). Low interception numbers in college have followed him into the league.

Great at the non-thinking go get the ball carrier plays around the LOS. Disruptive, solid blitzer.

His value is really tough to quantify. The Jets secondary needs help depending the pass and he doesn’t really add value there.

9fb5392a6d63ce38bcd4cfb3b63604f8.jpg.93e0e42d76b8e2fb89d14a7cf43be3bd.jpgtenor.gif.fbfedeffef9b77a75048ac05014544ce.gifhoneymooners-out.jpg.89ff4bb9fa852e11e192193346614f23.jpg

I can't wait until the narrative switches to teeth gnashing about how we will have to overpay Jamal Adams when it's contract renegotiation time. "You don't pay top 5 safety-money to a run stopper who doesn't create turnovers." Etc. etc.

• Upvote 2