The unbelievable next level Jamal Adams can reach

Just now, Matt39 said:

Who's complaining? Those instincts are mostly innate. It's ok that he's not that player. The eventual overpay is where the Jets could run into issues. His popularity/hype exceeds is production at the moment and has benefited from being on such a poor roster. This inst controversial or hate. It is what it is.  

Good thing we fired the GM that drafted Adams and thus hopefully won't have to worry too much about an overpay.  Douglas can evaluate the roster without bias.

• Upvote 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

How about football 101?  Takes more than one player to make a defense.  

Exactly.  So my point stands.  Jamal's impact on the game is minimal.  What's not to get?

Pass Rusher (EDGE or pass-rushing DT), Corner and Free Safety are all more important roles than what Jamal brings to the table,  So he will never be more than the 3rd or 4th most important player on the defense, no matter how many "roles" he takes on. 

I don't want to end up paying the 3rd or 4th most important player on the defense like the # 1 or 2 player on the defense, so hopefully Douglas is smarter than the Jamal fanboys we have here. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

Who's complaining? Those instincts are mostly innate. It's ok that he's not that player. The eventual overpay is where the Jets could run into issues. His popularity/hype exceeds his production at the moment and has benefited from being on such a poor roster. This inst controversial or hate. It is what it is. 

Can't figure out what funnier.  This ridiculous statement bitching about his second contract.  The old Jet fan whine that if he's worthy of a big deal that it's bad.  Or that someone agrees with it. 

If he's worthy of top S pay I'll  worry about it when it comes up, not before the start of his 3rd year.  

Shlt, imagine if more players earned top dollar, would suck. 

8 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's fun when someone throws the word "great" out there then follows it with a bunch of excuses.

"Greatness" doesn't need excuses.  It just is.

It's more fun when a small handful of fans circle jerk each other talking about our only pro bowl player because he doesn't do things his position does call for.

Then accused anyone's who get that excuse makers.  

The idea that it takes more than one player to make a defense isn't an excuse.  

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Compared to your Jamal Adams rants it must look that way.

You know when you say over the top nonsense like he ineffective, you should expect people to wonder just what's you watch in a game

“The D” is a colloquial term for “the dick,” sir 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

Can't figure out what funnier.  This ridiculous statement bitching about his second contract.  The old Jet fan whine that if he's worthy of a big deal that it's bad.  Or that someone agrees with it. 

If he's worthy of top S pay I'll  worry about it when it comes up, not before the start of his 3rd year.  

Shlt, imagine if more players earned top dollar, would suck. 

No one is saying that "if he's worthy of a big deal that it's bad."  Literally no one.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

It's more fun when a small handful of fans circle jerk each other talking about our only pro bowl player because he doesn't do things his position does call for.

Then accused anyone's who get that excuse makers.  

The idea that it takes more than one player to make a defense isn't an excuse.  

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.  I'd rather a guy that helps win football games.  Instead, we get a guy who's biggest accomplishments are winning defensive MVP in an exhibition game where he's the only defensive player trying, and tackling a rival's mascot.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, TeddEY said:

The Pro Bowl is a popularity contest.  I'd rather a guy that helps win football games.  Instead, we get a guy who's biggest accomplishments are winning defensive MVP in an exhibition game where he's the only defensive player trying, and tackling a rival's mascot.

He's the only pro bowl player on the team, don't twist it.  He's one of our best players, many think he is the best.  

5 or so fans want to convince the fanbase that he's not a FS.  Perfection on every level. 

But hey, keep making excuses for the accolades he gets, the pro bowl spot he earned that you want us to believe he didn't earn and keep ridiculing what he did in that pro bowl.  He was the only one trying?  LOL, keeps getting better

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No it was called the eventual overpay.

Which is an entirely different thing.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

He's the only pro bowl player on the team, don't twist it.  He's one of our best players, many think he is the best.  

5 or so fans want to convince the fanbase that he's not a FS.  Perfection on every level. 

But hey, keep making excuses for the accolades he gets, the pro bowl spot he earned that you want us to believe he didn't earn and keep ridiculing what he did in that pro bowl.  He was the only one trying?  LOL, keeps getting better

Being the best player on the Jets (I don't agree, but that's irrelevant), isn't a mark of greatness.

Further, there's no need to make excuses for the "accolades he gets."  The facts rest on the side of no matter what accolades he get, they haven't translated into wins, or even into an average defense.

As for being the only one trying... Is this news?  That no one plays defense in the Pro Bowl?  That guys are just out there to have fun?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, TeddEY said:

To be fair, while Pro Bowls can be discounted, he was Second Team All Pro. 

That’s not based on popularity. 

12 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Jets fans: Adams isn't supposed to get INTs, that's just not his role in the defense

also Jets fans: ADAMS IS NOT A BOX SAFETY

Jets fans:  Jamal Adams is the best player on the defense and makes everyone else around him better.

Also Jets fans:  Jamal Adams needs a pass rush and great play out of his corners in order to be effective.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Second Team All-Pro?  But I thought he was the best Safety in the game, hands down?

Evidently Eddie Jackson (6 INT, 3 TD's) and Derwin James (3 INT) were deemed to be better.  Strange how that works. 

14 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Agreed.  I'm not calling him a bad player, or a useless player.  Jamal Adams is good at what he does.  I simply don't believe that what he does make a significant contribution to W/L, or overall quality of the defense, and don't think he'll be worth a second contract.  And I think even his intangibles are overstated, as the Jets just spent 85 million to bring in a new leader of the defense.  To me, Jamal Adams is the type of player you hope to find day 2 or early day 3 in the draft, and even if you don't get someone 'as good,' you get someone competent, and then, 4 years later, you hope you've also drafted his replacement on day 2 or early day 3.  I don't think this is some radical concept.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Second Team All-Pro?  But I thought he was the best Safety in the game, hands down?

Evidently Eddie Jackson (6 INT, 3 TD's) and Derwin James (3 INT) were deemed to be better.  Strange how that works. 

I’ve never said he’s the best strong safety in the game but as a 2nd year player I’m happy where he is and at some point he WILL be. 

But we should dump on him because he ONLY made Second Team All Pro. 

We’ve had so many of them. 

2 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Agreed.  I'm not calling him a bad player, or a useless player.  Jamal Adams is good at what he does.  I simply don't believe that what he does make a significant contribution to W/L, or overall quality of the defense, and don't think he'll be worth a second contract.  And I think even his intangibles are overstated, as the Jets just spent 85 million to bring in a new leader of the defense.  To me, Jamal Adams is the type of player you hope to find day 2 or early day 3 in the draft, and even if you don't get someone 'as good,' you get someone competent, and then, 4 years later, you hope you've also drafted his replacement on day 2 or early day 3.  I don't think this is some radical concept.

In two years when we’re challenging for SBs he exactly the guy I’m giving a second contract to. 

4 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

I’ve never said he’s the best strong safety in the game but as a 2nd year player I’m happy where he is and at some point he WILL be. 

But we should dump on him because he ONLY made Second Team All Pro. 

We’ve had so many of them. 

We certainly haven't had many first team All-Pros.  Andre Roberts was the 1st team Returner last season.  Prior to that, the last one was Revis (3x, 2009-11). 

8 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

By the way, that’s a lot of hoping. 

In my view you don’t get rid of clearly one of your best players in the hopes you can draft someone who will become just as good a few years out. 

I’d rather we manage our cap and keep our good players. 

But that’s just me. 

Just now, Peace Frog said:

In my view you don’t get rid of clearly one of your best players in the hopes you can draft someone who will become just as good a few years out

I’d rather we manage our cap and keep our good players

But that’s just me

The way you manage a cap is by paying the important positions, and realizing that you can risk turnover in the less important ones.

Instead, the Jets, under Macc, were content to invest in the lower value positions.  Probably a good reason why we're not a very good football team.

34 minutes ago, TeddEY said:

Which is an entirely different thing.

Being the best player on the Jets (I don't agree, but that's irrelevant), isn't a mark of greatness.

Further, there's no need to make excuses for the "accolades he gets."  The facts rest on the side of no matter what accolades he get, they haven't translated into wins, or even into an average defense.

As for being the only one trying... Is this news?  That no one plays defense in the Pro Bowl?  That guys are just out there to have fun?

Here's the point.  There's a tiny group of jaded whiney fans that want to convince us that a pro bowl player, who gives max effort is really a scrub who adds nothing to the team.

Honestly it's as dumb am argument ever made.  Keep up the good work.  You will never, ever convince me that he's what you think he is.  That's it.  Try someone else

2 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

In my view you don’t get rid of clearly one of your best players in the hopes you can draft someone who will become just as good a few years out. 

I’d rather we manage our cap and keep our good players. 

But that’s just me. 

I don't advocate dumping Adams unless we get a haul, but we had the exact same discussion in 2006-2007 about Jonathan Vilma.  At the time, many felt that it was crazy to trade Vilma, even if we could get Patrick Willis.  Willis' value skyrocketed in weeks preceding the draft (workout warrior, ran a 4.37 at his pro day) and it became moot.  The Jets traded up for Revis and got a next year's 4th for Vilma.

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Here's the point.  There's a tiny group of jaded whiney fans that want to convince us that a pro bowl player, who gives max effort is really a scrub who adds nothing to the team.

Honestly it's as dumb am argument ever made.  Keep up the good work.  You will never, ever convince me that he's what you think he is.  That's it.  Try someone else

I don't think anyone shows up here to convince you of anything.

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Don’t mince words with these guys ‘nut.

Jamal Adams IS the best player on this team. No question about it.

Their problem is they don’t like the fact that our best player plays the strong safety position. Instead of complaining about the people who play the other positions, they complain about the only one we have who plays his at an elite level.

• Upvote 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

Their problem is they don’t like the fact that our best player plays the strong safety position. Instead of complaining about the people who play the other positions, they complain about the only one we have who plays his at an elite level.

Agreed.  It's a joke that our "best" (debatable) player plays the SS position.  But, is there a person on here who's doesn't drink the Jamal Adams Kool-Aid who, first and foremost, wasn't calling for Macc's firing?  Who doesn't take issue with most of the roster?  Thing is, conversations about the fact that Trumaine Johnson is a huge disappointment or the Jets lack a #2 CB or that Jordan Jenkins is fair but not good enough as your best pass rusher or that Darron Lee was trash or the that offensive line was weak or that we lack a true #1 WR all don't get a lot of traction because everyone agrees.

Also, elite is a stretch.

Last point about Jamal’s play not translating to wins. 

We SUCKED! We had a sh*t team with Josh McCown as our QB then a 21 year old as our QB and a sh*t coaching staff and a dearth of talent up and down the roster. 

Only 1 position in and of itself can translate to wins and that’s the QB. 

Every other position is complimentary to a lesser or greater degree. 

Trading Jamal with the HOPES we get a player as good or better—2-3 year’s down the line— is not the way to build a team. 

Can you imagine in 2 years we become the cream of the AFC, Jamal is playing at or near All Pro level and is a team leader, and we....trade him?

Holy sh*t that would make a lot of sense.  

10 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't advocate dumping Adams unless we get a haul, but we had the exact same discussion in 2006-2007 about Jonathan Vilma.  At the time, many felt that it was crazy to trade Vilma, even if we could get Patrick Willis.  Willis' value skyrocketed in weeks preceding the draft (workout warrior, ran a 4.37 at his pro day) and it became moot.  The Jets traded up for Revis and got a next year's 4th for Vilma.

And people are in the “who should we have never traded” thread complaining we never should have traded Vilma. 

And we shouldn’t have. 

Just now, Peace Frog said:

Last point about Jamal’s play not translating to wins. 

We SUCKED! We had a sh*t team with Josh McCown as our QB then a 21 year old as our QB and a sh*t coaching staff and a dearth of talent up and down the roster. 

Only 1 position in and of itself can translate to wins and that’s the QB. 

Every other position is complimentary to a lesser or greater degree. 

Trading Jamal with the HOPES we get a player as good or better—2-3 year’s down the line— is not the way to build a team. 

Can you imagine in 2 years we become the cream of the AFC, Jamal is playing at or near All Pro level and is a team leader, and we....trade him?

Holy sh*t that would make a lot of sense.  

So, what you're saying is we should have drafted Patrick Mahommes?

1 minute ago, TeddEY said:

Agreed.  It's a joke that our "best" (debatable) player plays the SS position.  But, is there a person on here who's doesn't drink the Jamal Adams Kool-Aid who, first and foremost, wasn't calling for Macc's firing?  Who doesn't take issue with most of the roster?  Thing is, conversations about the fact that Trumaine Johnson is a huge disappointment or the Jets lack a #2 CB or that Jordan Jenkins is fair but not good enough as your best pass rusher or that Darron Lee was trash or the that offensive line was weak or that we lack a true #1 WR all don't get a lot of traction because everyone agrees.

Also, elite is a stretch.

Second year. Pro Bowl and All Pro.  By definition, elite.

No argument with anything else you said. My problem is with the people who belittle what Adams does on the field. I also agree with  @Jet Nut‘s point about one guy doesn’t make a defense. I’ve seen how safeties like Ronnie Lott, Troy Palomolu, and Ty Law, to name a few, can affect a game with a good defense around them. 

Ive yet to see any one single defensive player, despite his position, consistently lift a team without help around him.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

The problem is he isn't Mahomes.

Nothing deeper than that.  Still of course our best player needs to be ripped.  Hels somehow you call him a SS not a FS or any other the other nonsensical reasons Adams doesn't help a D.  Because it's a known fact that only pass rushers hello a D.  S's aren't really even needed. 

Same ridiculous argument comes up every few months.