Offense vs Defense-Which unit is better in 2019?

right now I would pick defense.

call me crazy, but I think Mosley is going to help a lot and Leonard Williams has a big contract year. 

I wasn’t a fan of the Quinnen Williams pick, but it’s a possibility he contributes as well.

On offense I just don’t see it. Bad OL, Malcontent RB, young mistake prone QB, and a bad play caller. 

• Thumb Down 8

8 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

I wasn’t a fan of the Quinnen Williams pick, but it’s a possibility he contributes as well.

On offense I just don’t see it. Bad OL, Malcontent RB, young mistake prone QB, and a bad play caller

Other than trade back who would you have picked over Q?

With Bell getting paid and the off season vids he has been posting of his workouts show he is coming back with a vengeance, the work out vids are intense.  I follow most of the players on there social media accounts to see what they are up too. Bell grinds in the off-season, I fully expect him to come in and take right where he left off. The last 2 running backs to break 1000 yards a season for the Jets are Shonn Greene and Chris Ivory.... Bell is a huge upgrade. 

Expect a huge leap from Darnold. Small sample size but I don’t know how you don’t watch full game highlights of the last 4 games of the season where Darnold is 6-0 in touchdowns vs interceptions, just seems so improved on bone head decisions and very poised. 

Bad play caller ..... have you seen some of the last Jets offensive play callers? That is bad play calling. There are things you can take from Gase’s past that are good and bad, but he is for sure our best play caller and QB coach we have had in a while. 

To OL is bad lol no way around that. . The addition of KO at left guard will be another piece to build on in the running game. But some serious ?’s in Harrison at center and Shell at right tackle after coming off a knee injury. 

• Upvote 1

call me crazy, but I think Mosley is going to help a lot and Leonard Williams has a big contract year. 

On offense I just don’t see it. Bad OL, Malcontent RB, young mistake prone QB, and a bad play caller. 

Tough One ...

Offense:

HC/OC : Genious Mad Scientist QB Guru

QB : Incredible Young Prospect who flashed greatness

RB : Easily Top Five talent in the league .. great depth

WR: Decent should get job done despite lack of a no 1

TE : once Herdon returns this unit is very good

OL : Still need tackle help and center upgrade

DEFENSE :

DC : Agressive playcaller who will lose some games attacking but win more games the same way.

DL : A- ... Let's remember Q is a rook

LB : A ... Our MLBs could be best in the league ... If Polite steps up ... Things could be scary fun to watch

Safety : If Maye stays healthy A+

CB : D ... We need to find two vet corners by September.

I'll go w defense ... I think we get two decent vet corners to plug in during camp.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Upvote 2

The offense lacks depth on the Oline, a second year QB and has average WR/TE. The defense lacks skill at CB and is a question mark in the passrush. 

The offense has Bell and the defense has Mosley, Adams and a solid Dline. 

It’s a passing league and outside of QB (who is young and still has to prove himself) they lack the most important parts. WR, CBs and passrush. 

If the Oline holds up it goes to the offense because of Bell and his receiving ability. If the Oline has a few injuries it goes to the defense. 

5 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

The offense lacks depth on the Oline, a second year QB and has average WR/TE. The defense lacks skill at CB and is a question mark in the passrush. 

The offense has Bell and the defense has Mosley, Adams and a solid Dline. 

It’s a passing league and outside of QB (who is young and still has to prove himself) they lack the most important parts. WR, CBs and passrush. 

If the Oline holds up it goes to the offense because of Bell and his receiving ability. If the Oline has a few injuries it goes to the defense. 

Call me crazy, but I'm happy with our wide receivers.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

This is the most ridiculous thing I have read on these forums in quite a while

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

Call me crazy, but I'm happy with our wide receivers.

I mean the Pats have Edelman & a freaking rookie! 

Jets have Robbie Anderson who despite being braindead has improved EVERY YEAR. Quincy, a 225 pound guy that can run & make tough catches, added Crowder in the slot & with Gronk retiring have the best TE in the AFC East in Herndon & Bell in the backfield to delay LBs. This is definitely the best group in the AFC East until Kneal proves himself in New England. 

• Upvote 1

Defense will be better and most improved due to Greg Williams and the complete lack of competent defensive coaching over the last four years  

Offense will be improved thanks to Lev Bell who will help Sam take the next step, coaching should be an upgrade too but there is an overall lack of talent on offense, just hope everyone stays healthy or it will get bad fast...

The D has the potential of 2 studs at every level.  The Williams kids, Mosely/Williamson, Adams/Maye.  The only glaring weakness is pass rush and CB.  That said, they're first 2 picks of the draft had pass rush on the forefront, though it's still a ton to ask 2 rookies to fill the gap.

The offense is 100% predicated on Sam Darnold's development and Gase doesnt have any excuses.  Mac delivered him a damn near perfect offseason to run this system with the addition of Bell, Crowder, Montgomery,Osemele and Compton.  Coupled with Anderson, Q and Herndon.  There is no, "weaponz" excuse for Gase.  And no "his QB has no talent" excuse either.  He's either a QB guru/offensive genius or he's the dude that oversaw the worst offense in the league last season.

That said, I'll pick the D.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, JiF said:

The D has the potential of 2 studs at every level.  The Williams kids, Mosely/Williamson, Adams/Maye.  The only glaring weakness is pass rush and CB.  That said, they're first 2 picks of the draft had pass rush on the forefront, though it's still a ton to ask 2 rookies to fill the gap.

The offense is 100% predicated on Sam Darnold's development and Gase doesnt have any excuses.  Mac delivered him a damn near perfect offseason to run this system with the addition of Bell, Crowder, Montgomery,Osemele and Compton.  Coupled with Anderson, Q and Herndon.  There is no, "weaponz" excuse for Gase.  And no "his QB has no talent" excuse either.  He's either a QB guru/offensive genius or he's the dude that oversaw the worst offense in the league last season.

Good mention with Tom Compton. Solid back up plan for either Winters or Harrison. If Douglas can make a move not giving up a lot of draft capital for another lineman that may show up on the trade block that would make me a little more at ease with the OL.

Trent Williams? 

Jamon Brown? 

33 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

Oh, is that all?

Yes, unlike every other team in the league that has an All-pro at every position and excel at every phase of the game, unfortunately, the Jets who have been a bottom 3 team in the league for the last 3 years, still have some work to do.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The D has the potential of 2 studs at every level.  The Williams kids, Mosely/Williamson, Adams/Maye.  The only glaring weakness is pass rush and CB.  

So our only GLARING weakness on D is pass rush and CB?

Thats great, buddy! They’re not important ingredients anyway, right? ?

20 hours ago, JiF said:

Yes, unlike every other team in the league that has an All-pro at every position and excel at every phase of the game, unfortunately, the Jets who have been a bottom 3 team in the league for the last 3 years, still have some work to do.  

It’s almost like jets fans don’t watch other teams play, and realize that in the current NFL, every team has holes short of the Pats who outcoach and outcheat everyone.

22 hours ago, Jetster said:

I mean the Pats have Edelman & a freaking rookie! 

Jets have Robbie Anderson who despite being braindead has improved EVERY YEAR. Quincy, a 225 pound guy that can run & make tough catches, added Crowder in the slot & with Gronk retiring have the best TE in the AFC East in Herndon & Bell in the backfield to delay LBs. This is definitely the best group in the AFC East until Kneal proves himself in New England. 

What does that have to do with the Jets? The Pats could have the best or worst receiving core and the Jets WRs would still be average. 

10 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

What does that have to do with the Jets? The Pats could have the best or worst receiving core and the Jets WRs would still be average. 

He was making a case for the Jets having the best WR group in the division, has everything to do with the Pats.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

He’s definitely a troll. 

He throws the Darnold line in a lot of his threads and posts.

When did Bell become a malcontent? 

Good way to rile people up and get responses.  Typical troll. 

• Upvote 2

On 7/24/2019 at 12:51 AM, WayneChrebet80 said:

I don't have nearly the same negative outlook on the Jets offense that you do. I actually think they will be much improved across the board. I don't think Bell will be a malcontent, I think Sam will be more play-maker than mistake-prone, and I think Gase will make sure the play-calling works to Sams and Bell's strengths. However, I do not have a ton of faith in the O-line. I think they too are improved, but that is not saying much.

This is why I see the Defense being a better unit. I think we finally have a front 7 that can rival some of the best front sevens in the NFL. We don't have the premier Pass Rushers you want but I think there is enough depth and talent on the D-line that the Jets should be able to generate adequate pressure on the QB to force the ball out quick and terrorize some of the less mobile QBs and weaker O-lines. 

There are 2 players IMO that are key to this defense taking their game to the next level. Tru as the #1 CB and Polite as the de facto Pass Rusher. If Tru can bounce back and Polite proves to make an impact as a Pass Rusher this defense will be nasty and possibly one of the best in the NFL.      

On 7/24/2019 at 6:22 AM, MindOverMatter said:

If they can keep the defense off the field and average ~25-26 points a game then the defense will be fresh and should play like a top 10 unit.

So the offense needs to be a top ten unit...that's kind of a tall order

On 7/25/2019 at 6:13 AM, jgb said:

Option C. Special Teams

If that becomes the case, we’re a 4-12 team again.

I kind of like the way our offense looks. I like GW a lot, but the defense worries me. CB, obviously, Leo needs to step up, Maye needs to stay on the field, Shepherd and McLendon are meh.Theres a chance the defense becomes a very good unit,  I just think it’s more likely the offense does.