Adam Gase makes bold declaration

Adam Gase makes bold declaration as Jets open training camp

July 24, 2019 | 11:57am

Adam Gase
Adam GaseBill Kostroun

The Jets have missed the playoffs for eight straight seasons and have not even contended for the playoffs in the last three years.

New coach Adam Gase plans on changing that this season.

“We’re going to play meaningful games in the end of November and December,” Gase said. “That’s what we’re going to do.”

The Jets reported to training camp Wednesday hoping the franchise can turn things around after winning just 14 games over the last three years.

They have made major changes with Gase as the new coach and Joe Douglas joining the organization in June as the new general manager.

“There’s some good juice in our building right now,” Gase said. “We’re ready. We’re 0-0. It’s going to be all about how we come together. We all know we’re starting at 0-0 and it’s time to go to work and see where the chips fall.”

Gase said he likes what he saw this spring.

“These guys work,” Gase said. “I like how they work. I love how meetings went in the spring. I love the attention to detail. I love how our players went out on the field and put their heads down and grinded. I love the way we compete. Those are good attributes to have before we actually put the pads on. Now, it’s going to be when we get going in camp how we handle adversity. That’s really going to be the key for us. How are we going to handle it when something goes wrong? Which way are we going to go? Who’s going to step up? That’s what we need to know.”

July 24, 2019 | 11:57am

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Could be the weakest guarantee ive ever heard.  Hahahahaha.  Joe Willie needs to teach him how the guarantee business goes.

Because of that guarantee by Joe the Jets haven't won crap since that super bowl. 

13 minutes ago, jgb said:

Meaningful November games?? Need to tell my girlfriend that I won’t be as free for those wine tastings and baby showers as every other year we have been together.

Funny.... yes, we have been sort of discretion type free on Sundays in late November and December lately.   

• Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, jgb said:

Good point rooting to lose in December is a Jet fan tradition 

The Jets usually can;t even get that right often winning meaningless games down the stretch that simply screws draft position (see week 14 win over the Bills last year) and does nothing else.  Worse yet those dumb mean nothing wins have kept some really crappy people hired for another year or more.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The Jets usually can;t even get that right often winning meaningless games down the stretch that simply screws draft position (see week 14 win over the Bills last year) and does nothing else.  Worse yet those dumb mean nothing wins have kept some really crappy people hired for another year or more.

And yet people here were rooting for us to win games late in 17 and 18.

That 4th and goal run by McGuire against Buffalo cost us the #1 pick in this years draft. Forget about the “suck for Sam” 17 season when we played McCown instead of Petty or Hackenberg.

33 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

We always play meaningful games in December - that #1 pick has been in play several times over the recent past

Beat me to it.  

But I was going to go with something like; finally!!!  A head coach that understands draft positioning!

We’re going to play meaningful games in the end of November and December,” Gase said. “That’s what we’re going to do.”

“There’s some good juice in our building right now,” Gase said. “We’re ready. We’re 0-0. It’s going to be all about how we come together. We all know we’re starting at 0-0 and it’s time to go to work and see where the chips fall.”

“These guys work,” Gase said. “I like how they work. I love how meetings went in the spring. I love the attention to detail. I love how our players went out on the field and put their heads down and grinded. I love the way we compete. Those are good attributes to have before we actually put the pads on. Now, it’s going to be when we get going in camp how we handle adversity. That’s really going to be the key for us. How are we going to handle it when something goes wrong? Which way are we going to go? Who’s going to step up? That’s what we need to know.”

This is all good stuff. He is not being a loud mouth and declaring he is winning the Super Bowl or destroying the Patriots. He is not talking about reps and making plays like the previous regime. He's being realistic and encouraging but at the same time it will all depend how the team handles things in the trenches and who steps up when the chips are down. I am happy to hear this look forward to the Pre-season.

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

That 4th and goal run by McGuire against Buffalo cost us the #1 pick in this years draft. Forget about the “suck for Sam” 17 season when we played McCown instead of Petty or Hackenberg.

I have to admit, I wanted the Bills to tackle him & guess what? Jets would have been able to trade with the Cardinals & replaced all of those draft picks for Sam & more. Ugh. McGuire tripped over his own feet & stumbled his way into the endzone to screw us out of a lot of draft picks. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

And we’re calling you a bad fan for doing so. 

I wanted to lose every f*cking game in 2017 to insure we got Sam and folks were all “you NEVER ROOT to lose”. 

Yeah you do if it sets you up for success for the next 12 years. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Does it really matter when Macc would have still just taken Q, and he can’t make a 1st round trade so he would have blown that opportunity.