Training camp day 2 (7-26)

16 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Bell an hour late to practice on day 2?  Y did they let him on the field?  Its todd bowles do whatever u want w no consequences all over again?

I bet it was traffic. New to the city metro, Not excusable but since he didn't spend a ton of time in NY before now Friday Jersey shore traffic is real.

The Jets started their second training camp practice at 8:25 a.m. Friday.

At 8:46 a.m. – just after the team stretch – running back Le’Veon Belljogged off the field holding his helmet, ducked behind a set of bleachers and headed back inside.

He returned to the field at 9:20 a.m. and resumed practice with some warmup exercises on the sideline. A few minutes later, the Jets began team drills. Bell trotted onto the field for the second rep, then took a handoff from quarterback Sam Darnold.

No word yet on why Bell left the field or what he was doing inside the building. More details will be added to this story as they become available.

Thursday was Bell’s third practice with the Jets, including two mandatory minicamp sessions in June. He skipped the team’s voluntary workouts throughout the offseason.

Bell saw four touches during team periods during the team’s opening training camp practice – three handoffs and one reception.

The 27-year-old running back is preparing for an NFL season for the first time since 2017, after holding out last year in order to expedite his free agency. That ultimately led to him getting a four-year deal and $27 million guaranteed from the Jets this March.

Bell believes the season-long layoff will do him good, saying Thursday that his body is well rested and he feels no signs of rust after 18 months without playing in an NFL game. He also said that he was so excited to be back in an NFL setting that he went through the Jets’ conditioning test twice after reporting to Florham Park on Wednesday – once as required, then again just for fun.

“I expect to be better," Bell said. “I don’t want to just say I’m gonna be how I was two years ago, each and every year I feel like I want to be a better player.”

Matt Stypulkoski may be reached at mstypulkoski@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @M_Stypulkoski. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

• Upvote 1

It's so common for defenses to be ahead of the offense this early in camp, but add in the fact that we're installing a new offense this year (and a defense too), it shows Gase used the offseason classroom time well. Offense seems to be ahead of the defense so far. Have to give kudos to the coaching staff. Hopefully defense can even things up a bit when the pads are on.

3 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

At 8:46 a.m. – just after the team stretch – running back Le’Veon Belljogged off the field holding his helmet, ducked behind a set of bleachers and headed back inside.

So much ado about nothing. He was there and had gone back in side... Not an hour late.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

5 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

He returned to the field at 9:20 a.m. and resumed practice with some warmup exercises on the sideline. A few minutes later, the Jets began team drills. Bell trotted onto the field for the second rep, then took a handoff from quarterback Sam Darnold.

No word yet on why Bell left the field or what he was doing inside the building. More details will be added to this story as they become available.

Thursday was Bell’s third practice with the Jets, including two mandatory minicamp sessions in June. He skipped the team’s voluntary workouts throughout the offseason.

Bell saw four touches during team periods during the team’s opening training camp practice – three handoffs and one reception.

The 27-year-old running back is preparing for an NFL season for the first time since 2017, after holding out last year in order to expedite his free agency. That ultimately led to him getting a four-year deal and $27 million guaranteed from the Jets this March.

Bell believes the season-long layoff will do him good, saying Thursday that his body is well rested and he feels no signs of rust after 18 months without playing in an NFL game. He also said that he was so excited to be back in an NFL setting that he went through the Jets’ conditioning test twice after reporting to Florham Park on Wednesday – once as required, then again just for fun.

“I expect to be better," Bell said. “I don’t want to just say I’m gonna be how I was two years ago, each and every year I feel like I want to be a better player.”

Matt Stypulkoski may be reached at mstypulkoski@njadvancemedia.com. Follow him on Twitter @M_Stypulkoski. Find NJ.com Jets on Facebook.

Interesting... So he was there... and went to the training room

8 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

It's so common for defenses to be ahead of the offense this early in camp, but add in the fact that we're installing a new offense this year (and a defense too), it shows Gase used the offseason classroom time well. Offense seems to be ahead of the defense so far. Have to give kudos to the coaching staff. Hopefully defense can even things up a bit when the pads are on.

Honestly, not to take credit away from Gase and Darnold, they still have to call and execute the plays but I think this is more a big red flag that we have no cornerbacks :(

12 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

I bet it was traffic. New to the city metro, Not excusable but since he didn't spend a ton of time in NY before now Friday Jersey shore traffic is real.

We don't even know he was late.  Just late to the field.  Could be a lot of things.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

Honestly, not to take credit away from Gase and Darnold, they still have to call and execute the plays but I think this is more a big red flag that we have no cornerbacks :(

Agree. That is a big concern but we've also upgraded the weapons on offense with Bell & Crowder

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sarge4Tide said:

I guess Montgomery is the #2 RB right now, probably will be all season

Underated signing, allows offense to run the same script. Our RBs are going to catch a lot of passes & test the LB & Strong Safety speed of our opponents. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Underated signing, allows offense to run the same script. Our RBs are going to catch a lot of passes & test the LB & Strong Safety speed of our opponents. 

That where Brady has made his living, using lil white boys midfield to move the chains.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CTJetsFan said:

Report is he came on the field to start practice but went back to the locker room soon after and was gone for almost an hour.

Prediction: Bell's day to day will get increasingly exhausting for everyone.

• Upvote 3