Giants WR Train Wrecks: Coleman tears ACL; Shepard fractures thumb; Tate suspended

16 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Petition to change the thread title from “Giants WR injuries...” to “Giants WR injuries/suspensions...”

I got you.  

Seriously, it was bad enough for Eli last year, but losing his top 3 targets (Beckham, Shepard, Tate) and another WR (Coleman) makes it almost a Greek Tragedy.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

29 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I got you.  

Seriously, it was bad enough for Eli last year, but losing his top 3 targets (Beckham, Shepard, Tate) and another WR (Coleman) makes it almost a Greek Tragedy.  

Good luck to Daniel Jones!

Three plays going in the playbook....Saquon left, Saquon right, Saquon up the middle.

• Sympathy 1

The scariest part of this is that it isn't too far from removed our reality. Herndon is already suspended 4 games, Q isn't reliably healthy and who knows what happens elsewhere. I'm looking at one NY team's misfortune and tossing salt over my shoulder.

The differences between NY's AFC and NFC representative is a bit more talent on the defensive side for the Green team and... that's about it. Maybe Sam is better than Manning/Jones but as confident as I am in his second campaign that's still up in the air if I'm being objectively honest.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Hackenberg said:

I'm a penn state fan. That's why I liked/picked him, you dolt. There's a guy here who already  took Browning Nagle. Go bitch at him lol. 

It doesn't mean I'm making fun of you or the Jets. But it still means I have a sense of humor and I don't take things literally  or personally.

So, you like what they do there?

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Good luck to Daniel Jones!

Three plays going in the playbook....Saquon left, Saquon right, Saquon up the middle.

Eli is going to have to learn how to use the TE.  He has a pass catcher at that position in Engram.  A few years of Shockey and after that, the best Eli has had at the position has been Kevin Boss.  He is terrible in using TEs.  Maybe Jones can.

4 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Back from 2013. Tate got some splaining to do....

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/golden-tate-suspensions-seahawks-selfish_n_4349966

Seahawks receiver Golden Tate thinks two of his teammates, cornerbacks Walter Thurmond and Brandon Browner, put themselves ahead of the team, but the team must move on.

In an interview with 710 ESPN Seattle’s “Bob and Groz”, Tate said it was “definitely poor judgement” in response to Thurmond’s four-game suspension and Brandon Browner’s reported one-year suspension for violating the league’s substance abuse policy.

He did explain it and it seems like a legitimate reason. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

He did explain it and it seems like a legitimate reason. 

Here’s the problem. 

Well, 2 problems.

1.  If you can concoct what sounds like a legitimate excuse and throw a feel good story in there, that sets a precedent. 

2. Was listening to Anita Marks earlier (she is horrendous but she had on some football guests)   and she said she met Tate and his wife 2 years ago, said he was a really really good guy and slipped in that his wife was...pregnant. 

So....why is Tate taking fertility drugs...now? 

Frank and beans worked before but....not now?

1 hour ago, Peace Frog said:

Here’s the problem. 

Well, 2 problems.

1.  If you can concoct what sounds like a legitimate excuse and throw a feel good story in there, that sets a precedent. 

2. Was listening to Anita Marks earlier (she is horrendous but she had on some football guests)   and she said she met Tate and his wife 2 years ago, said he was a really really good guy and slipped in that his wife was...pregnant. 

So....why is Tate taking fertility drugs...now? 

Frank and beans worked before but....not now?

Well since you’re obviously a doctor, why don’t you tell me? How do you know he hasn’t been doing it all along and whatever he was prescribed this time has a banned substance but what he was using before didn’t? 

Golden Tate having kids has nothing to do with his current fertility. Just like a woman getting pregnant easily one time doesn’t mean it will happen again as easily. Really don’t understand why you'd play devils advocate here. 

• Post of the Week 2

3 hours ago, Fantasy Island said:

Giants are going to pull an Arizona and draft another QB next year and trade Jones.  It's a repeat league.

Trade Jones to who??  He wasn't going in the first round anyway so that means 31 other teams wouldn't want him.

• Thumb Down 1

2 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Yeah they all have real good excuses after they get busted. Some times they get some suckers to buy their excuse. Usually the NFL isn't that gullible. 

Or maybe the NFL’s policy needs to be re-examined?

1 hour ago, jvill 51 said:

And the league won’t and shouldn’t care if they’re going to have even a semi-effective PED policy

So it should just be cut and dry without any wiggle room for legitimate reasons? I wonder how you feel when you get a speeding ticket. 

• Sympathy 1

15 minutes ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Or maybe the NFL’s policy needs to be re-examined?

So it should just be cut and dry without any wiggle room for legitimate reasons? I wonder how you feel when you get a speeding ticket. 

It’s a zero tolerance policy for a reason. If Tate gets let off, then what’s to stop others from using the same excuse whenever they get caught? There’s a reason that everyone else who has used the same exact excuse (Robert Mathis comes to mind) has failed to have their suspension overturned. This is the only way the program can work.

These guys are provided with many, many different ways to find out whether anything they’re planning on taking is on the banned supplement list. They all know this, and they’re all aware of it. Unless it’s a life or death situation, there’s pretty much no excuse for not utilizing those resources. If Tate made an honest mistake then I feel bad for him, but it’s his own fault. This was the policy that was collectively bargained.

53 minutes ago, jvill 51 said:

It’s a zero tolerance policy for a reason. If Tate gets let off, then what’s to stop others from using the same excuse whenever they get caught? There’s a reason that everyone else who has used the same exact excuse (Robert Mathis comes to mind) has failed to have their suspension overturned. This is the only way the program can work.

These guys are provided with many, many different ways to find out whether anything they’re planning on taking is on the banned supplement list. They all know this, and they’re all aware of it. Unless it’s a life or death situation, there’s pretty much no excuse for not utilizing those resources. If Tate made an honest mistake then I feel bad for him, but it’s his own fault. This was the policy that was collectively bargained.

Tate self-reported after learning the fertility drug he was given had a banned substance. Hopefully, the league takes that into account and drops the suspension to 1 game. Still something for zero tolerance, but a deep discount for self-reporting 

Also, nothing but good wishes for him and his wife. Fertility issues suuuuuuck

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Tate self-reported after learning the fertility drug he was given had a banned substance. Hopefully, the league takes that into account and drops the suspension to 1 game. Still something for zero tolerance, but a deep discount for self-reporting 

Orrrrr it’s a total BS story trying to garner sympathy. 

They already have 2 children. 

The second one was born FEBRUARY 2019. 

How bad could his fertility issues have been if they just had a kid FIVE MONTHS AGO?!?

I hate to be skeptical but really?

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

24 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

Did he self-report before or after he took the test though? His statement doesn’t make that clear at all, and the cynic in me says that his PR team left it that way intentionally.

Clearly if he self-reported after he took the test there shouldn’t be any reduction. But I’d think even if he self-reported before he took the test any reduction could set a bad precedent. Know you’re about to get tested when you report for OTAs and you’re most likely gonna fail? Self-report and save yourself 3 game checks.

EDIT: After reading his statement again it seems almost certain he didn’t self-report until after he took the test, but before he got final confirmation that he failed. There should be no reduction.

On 7/26/2019 at 12:20 PM, Jetsfan80 said:

Tough break.  He's had a disappointing career since being taken in the 1st by the Browns in 2016, and now this happens. 

With Sterling Shepard also fracturing his thumb today, it'll just be Golden Tate and a bunch of question marks  at WR for the Giants for the rest of camp and preseason until Shepard returns. 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037255/article/giants-corey-coleman-tears-acl-in-practice-thursday

Giants' Corey Coleman tears ACL in practice Thursday

Print
  • 0ap3000000923719.jpg
  • By Jeremy Bergman
  • Around The NFL Writer

Two days into New York Giants camp, two wide receivers out with injuries.

On the same day that starting receiver Sterling Shepard fractured his thumb, potential No. 3 wideout Corey Coleman tore his ACL, the team announced.

Coleman, a 2016 first-round pick of the Cleveland Browns, ended last season with the Giants after a whirlwind 2018 campaign. Cleveland traded the disappointing pick to the Buffalo Bills in August, who waived him shortly after. Coleman then spent a month with the New England Patriots before the Giants picked him up on their practice squad.

In eight games with Big Blue, Coleman started just once and racked up five catches on eight targets for 71 yards. The receiver was also New York's top kick returner down the stretch, returning 23 kicks for 598 yards.

Coleman was thought to be a potential fixture in three-receiver sets for New York in 2019 after the Giants retooled their wide receiving corps to fit their post-OBJ reality. But now he is most likely lost for the year.

Add onto Coleman's demise Shepard's fractured thumb, and New York's starting receivers against the reigning division champion Dallas Cowboys in Week 1 could be free-agent acquisition Golden Tate, Cody Latimer and ... rookie Darius Slayton and/or Russell Shepard. (Though Giants coach Pat Shurmur did tell reporters Friday that Shepard's injury did not require surgery and that he is confident Shepard will play in the season opener.)

In a critical season for Shurmur, aging quarterback Eli Manning and especially general manager Dave Gettleman, who made the controversial decision to trade all-world receiver Odell Beckham this offseason after signing him to a long-term deal, Giants training camp could not have gotten off to a worse start, at least on the injury front.

Take this sh*t to Giants Nation,

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, jvill 51 said:

Who said let off? I’ll I’m saying is that if Tyreek Hill gets 0 games, Tate shouldn’t get more than 1. The guy reported it as soon as he found out. 

5 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

Orrrrr it’s a total BS story trying to garner sympathy. 

They already have 2 children. 

The second one was born FEBRUARY 2019. 

How bad could his fertility issues have been if they just had a kid FIVE MONTHS AGO?!?

I hate to be skeptical but really?

You hate to be skeptical, but here you are spouting BS about something you obviously know nothing about. You have no idea about how or if the child born in February was a struggle to conceive in the first place. You have no idea if he was taking something then. Also, it may be his wife that has issues and they’re trying to make him as viable as possible as well. A lot can change in 15 months. Again, not seeing the reason to not believe the player here when it has zero to do with you or the Jets. Just hating for fun?