Ryan Fitzpatrick leads Rosen in Dolphins QB battle

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037177/article/ryan-fitzpatrick-leads-rosen-in-dolphins-qb-battle

Ryan Fitzpatrick leads Rosen in Dolphins QB battle

Print
  • By Logan Reardon NFL.com
  • Published: July 25, 2019 at 08:17 p.m.
  • Updated: July 25, 2019 at 11:53 p.m.

On the first day of Dolphins training camp, Ryan Fitzpatrick tightened his grasp on the starting quarterback job.

The Dolphins enter camp with two new quarterbacks in town -- Fitzpatrick, a career journeyman who signed as a free agent, and Josh Rosen, a 2018 first-round pick shipped over from Arizona.

New Dolphins head coach Brian Flores hasn't given a concrete timeline on when he'll name a starter, but on day one, it appeared the veteran took a lead over the sophomore.

Rosen's day included an interception in the end zone and a fumble on a handoff. Still, he was positive after practice.

"I thought I had a slow start but finished pretty strong," Rosen said. "I think it's about getting used to everything -- teammates, offense, situations and all of that. I think as long as tomorrow is better than today, I think we'll be good."

Fitzpatrick, on the other hand, had a solid day and was praised by his younger teammates.

"He's a leader for sure, and everybody looks up to him when he steps in the huddle," left tackle Laremy Tunsil said. "One thing (Fitzpatrick) says is 'Give me your eyes' and everybody looks and listens. He has that leadership and everybody respects that."

The Harvard grad took the majority, if not all, of the first team snaps while Rosen was relegated to the second unit, according to the Sun Sentinel.

Fitzpatrick had a number of touchdown passes and no turnovers reported.

"I'm just trying to be the best version of me that I can be. That really is it," Fitzpatrick said. "There are so many things that I've just continued to get better at in my game. Knowing who I am as a player and working on my deficiencies, communication is something I try to pride myself on."

So while it's only been one day, it seems like Fitzpatrick is leading the charge for the starting quarterback position.

• Haha 1

While Darnold is busy embarrassing Gregg Williams & Co....

"Josh Rosen threw an interception in the end zone to undrafted rookie free agent Montre Hartage on Thursday.

The first training camp practice of Rosen’s Miami Dolphins career did not go as he might have hoped.

“I thought I had a slow start but finished pretty strong,” Rosen said. “I think it’s about getting used to everything — teammates, offense, situations and all of that. I think as long as tomorrow is better than today, I think we’ll be good.”

Rosen and running back Mark Walton later fumbled a handoff, and the two scuttled to a Dolphins’ “Takes No Talent” wall as disciplinary measure. 

[..]

"Here’s the rub: Rosen, 22, has been inconsistent since his arrival. And 36-year-old journeyman Ryan Fitzpatrick has been accurate, confident and poised.

So while coach Brian Flores is in no mood to christen a leader in this quarterback competition, Rosen will have to show more to stay in it. Rosen was clearly playing second fiddle to the veteran." 

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20190725/miami-dolphins-ryan-fitzpatrick-outshines-josh-rosen-in-training-camp-debut-of-qb-competition

And in Buffalo...

"1. Josh Allen makes some plays and misses a few

About halfway through Thursday's practice the realization hit that Allen was having himself a nice day. He was crisp with the ball and assertive in his work during red zone drills in both 7-on-7 and 11-on-11 with the first team offense.

He threw a few touchdown passes and a few good balls were dropped by tight end Dawson Knox and running back LeSean McCoy.

Then Beasley got involved and Allen hit him on a short screen and he scooted into the end zone for six. It was a blistering pass right off the snap from center Mitch Morse and Beasley did the rest. Things were going so well.

A few minutes later Allen looked the former Dallas Cowboys receiver's way once again but this time he threw it too far out in front of him on a quick out route at the goal line. Then a few moments later offensive coordinator Brian Daboll dialed up the same play one more time. Allen threw it out of Beasley's reach once again. 

Beasley had a look of frustration after the ball hit the ground and Allen screamed something to himself. He walked back to the huddle with his head down and obviously perturbed at the situation.

But it is just Day 1 and mistakes are going to happen in practice.

"We started off with two-minute and then heavy red zone and that was to start the camp on the right note," Allen said after practice. "There was some good today and some not-so-good today. It’s the first day of camp and we’ve got a lot of practices left to get some of these things fixed up. Communication was really big for us today and I thought, as an offense, we really jelled and were able to talk together, and we communicated really well." 

https://expo.newyorkupstate.com/sports/g66l-2019/07/eb5c03800d1e4/bills-training-camp-2019-josh-allen-works-with-cole-beasley-on-day-1-9-observations.html

Read in another article that said Allen was 9/18 on day one, very Allen-like. 

Forgive my early schadenfreude. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

3 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Feel  kind of sorry for Rosen. He's been used and abused since he entered the league, not to mentioning being traded from the NFL's worst team of 2018 to the worst team of 2019. 

Sure, but it's also possible he's just not very good. 

A 2nd round pick (# 62 overall) and 2020 5th rounder for a QB who just came off the lot as a top 10 pick the year before was telling, given how QB-starved the league always seems to be. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, BroadwayRay said:

Feel  kind of sorry for Rosen. He's been used and abused since he entered the league, not to mentioning being traded from the NFL's worst team of 2018 to the worst team of 2019. 

Dude could easily be on his third team in three years next season. Just an insane start to a career for a top ten pick. 

• Upvote 4

I didn’t watch Rosen much last year and don’t have an opinion on his play. Obviously Kingsbury wanted him gone. But you’d think he should win that job and has a future with the Fins unlike Fitz. If not why did they trade for him. They could have used Fitz as a one year stop gap and draft someone in ‘20 or draft someone in ‘19. I can see Fitz starting 2-8 games we all know how inconsistent he is. 

10 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

The funny thing is that there were a good amount of fans who preferred Rosen instead of Sam lol

There was so much scrutiny of those QBs that I had pretty much talked myself out of all of them, but Rosen was my least favorite. The lack of mobility + the concussion issue just seemed like too toxic a combo. I expected more from him as a passer, though. That's been surprising. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, slats said:

Rosen and running back Mark Walton later fumbled a handoff, and the two scuttled to a Dolphins’ “Takes No Talent” wall as disciplinary measure. 

And, sorry to quote myself here, but what the **** is a "Takes No Talent" wall? Sounds a lot like a dunce cap corner. Not sure that's the best way to motivate a professional athlete. But hey, what do I know? The Belichick coaching tree speaks for itself, I'm sure. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BroadwayRay said:

Feel  kind of sorry for Rosen. He's been used and abused since he entered the league, not to mention being traded from the NFL's worst team of 2018 to the worst team of 2019. 

never feel sorrry for anybody who is an absolute arrogant d-bag.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 2

Rosen was one of my favorite prospects last year, before the draft. When I was looking at the prospects, he started out at No. 1 because I believed everything that was praised about him. By the end, he was 3-4 (I couldn't make up my mind on Allen).

To me, his issues:

Leadership: it's overblown for the most part but he certainly doesn't come off as a leader. He comes off as someone who's been annointed the savior, and doesn't understand how to rally people behind him. Even after the draft, his tirade about falling was all about him, rather than the teams. It's fine if he thinks it or even says it privately like Brady did with Kraft, but openly being arrogant doesn't work without personality. Baker has brashness, but his brashness is very similar to Rex Ryan. To outsiders, looks bad, but his teammates will run through a wall for him (ok, maybe not Duke).

Reads: I don't think he makes reads quickly. He sat on his first reads in college for too long. It's not Bryce Petty bad, but it wasn't elite like many projected it. I thought Darnold/Baker were both better at moving through reads.

Winner: He couldn't elevate his college team to win consistently. That team always felt like it underachieved.

Lead feet: He doesn't move around well at all, and that's not a good trend moving forward. QBs tend to move around much more now, and being inept at it limits the playbook.

Arm: His arm was good at the combine, but Allen and Baker stood out. It also seemed like he didn't really want to compete. Not sure it came off on TV but his throws were much safer, guys slowing down Bev he didn't want to push it with certain throws. Baker, and especially Allen pushed throws like they were thinking against a defense, rather than pitch and catch.

Last year:. He looked the worst of all 5 first round QBs and I don't buy the OL issues as the sole reason. Both Darnold and Allen had terrible lines as well, without having a Fitz or Johnson as options. The lack of a bidding war along with being the 4th QB last year sort of reflect that the media overrated him.

• Upvote 1

I am +1 with Alvin.  I thought I would like Rosen best, but the more I read about him, the less I liked him.  His arm wasn't that strong and much as I don't like Mayfield, Rosen is inherently unlikable.  I can't find it now, but that bit with him and some other draft hopefuls seemed like Adam Gase saying he was going to let Bell be "a baller."  

The Cards didn't just draft him top 10.  They traded up to do it.  They gave up a 3rd and 5th to move up from 15. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

I am +1 with Alvin.  I thought I would like Rosen best, but the more I read about him, the less I liked him.  His arm wasn't that strong and much as I don't like Mayfield, Rosen is inherently unlikable.  I can't find it now, but that bit with him and some other draft hopefuls seemed like Adam Gase saying he was going to let Bell be "a baller."  
The Cards didn't just draft him top 10.  They traded up to do it.  They gave up a 3rd and 5th to move up from 15. 

Yeah, there just is something about him that comes across as off-putting. I dislike Baker as a competitor (much like Rex in Buffalo) but you appreciate the effort and you know people rally behind him. Rosen just came of as me-me-me.

Even his pre-draft stuff where he was hanging out with Rodgers seemed like it was set to to showcase similar talent. It showed that he had a much higher value on himself than reality because Rodgers' basic skill set is much different. Rodgers is very mobile, moves in the pocket well, and throws extremely well on the run. Rosen doesn't do any of this, and his arm isn't nearly the same. There was nothing similar about their game on a basic level besides looking like each other from odd angles.

His coach picking a division rival in Darnold over him told me a lot. Mora may not be a great coach, but he could tell the overhype on Rosen cost him a job.
  • Upvote 1

Rosen bombing out would be my 2nd biggest "oof" (1st being Hack) since I started to seriously look at collegiate prospects.  I thought he was pretty much right up there with Mayfield and Darnold as a potential FQB. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

It is only the first day but Rosen can't seem to catch a break.

Also, when are teams going to realize that Fitz is a leeching con artist. He  beats out the starter (or takes his job due to injury), has the best year of his life and then stinks it up - normally after wooing the existing players or getting a pay-day.  He destroys your team both emotionally and physically, takes the money and moves on to his next prey.

So happy we are not dealing with this garbage anymore. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Fitzpatrick is fool's gold. 

The Dolphins will name him the starter, he'll open strong and then he'll face a good defense and get destroyed but not play quite bad enough to be benched.

The Dolphins are getting ready to waste a year.

I'm so happy!

WADR, Sorta sounds familiar.