Ryan Fitzpatrick leads Rosen in Dolphins QB battle

3 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

sh*tzpatrick is still raking in NFL $$$$$$ after all these years of sucking. 

To be fair it has been years of sucking punctuated by moments of good play at exactly the right times (for his bank account).

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

If memory serves its only the even years on a team he sucks 

And he admitted himself he plays better when there's competition for the job, which he of course has in Miami.  Once a team settles on him as the starter (like we did in 2016), he loses the incentive to play well. 

I'm hoping he plays well enough in Miami to induce them to move Rosen after the season, pushing their attempts to get an actual franchise QB back to 2021. 

On 7/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, BroadwayRay said:

Feel  kind of sorry for Rosen. He's been used and abused since he entered the league, not to mention being traded from the NFL's worst team of 2018 to the worst team of 2019. 

The INTs will flow.  Usually takes Fitz a little time.

43 minutes ago, slats said:

The super-athletic guy who played at Wyoming by be a little bit better equipped to play in Buffalo than the statue from LA. 

Allen is basically a humvee and Rosen is a 3 series BMW convertible. Football season is from early fall to winter, this should confuse nobody. 

• Haha 3

Saturday was Ryan Fitzpatrick's worst day at practice. He was off on his accuracy at times and just had to run to T.N.T. wall after a mishandled snap with Chris Reed. Josh Rosen, on the other hand, had his best session including a nice play-action TD to Nick O'Leary. First glimpse of a true back-and-forth QB battle. If you're keeping score through three days of camp, Fitzpatrick has won two days and Rosen one.

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffull%2Fwolfe_cameron.png&w=80&h=80&scale=crop
Cameron Wolfe, ESPN Staff Writer1d ago
  • Upvote 3

In hindsight we really should have seen Rosen's less than stellar first season coming. Unlike the other four first round QB's he doesn't have anything to rely on when a play doesn't develop or the pocket breaks down. He's a good pocket passer but that's ALL he is, he cant run laterally or vertically and cant make plays from nothing, not consistently anyway. He can work but you need an elite O-line to keep him upright, anything less and he can only do so much.

tenor.gif

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001037898/article/brian-flores-on-qb-battle-fitzpatrick-is-clear-leader

Brian Flores on QB battle: Fitzpatrick is clear leader

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: July 30, 2019 at 10:39 a.m.

The battle for the Miami Dolphins starting quarterback job continues to favor Ryan Fitzpatrick over Josh Rosen.

Coach Brian Flores confirmed all the reports out of Dolphins camp almost a week into practices that Fitzmagic is the clear leader.

"From a quarterback standpoint, it's pretty clear to me that Ryan Fitzpatrick is leading the way," Flores said Tuesday, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald.

Fitzpatrick opened camp as the QB1 and by all accounts has looked like the superior signal-caller thus far.

"He's been more productive. At the end of the day, that's what it comes down to," Flores said, noting Fitzpatrick's leadership and added the veteran runs the offense "efficiently."

It's the first time the first-year coach has made a concrete comment on the quarterback battle.

There is plenty of time for Rosen to gain ground and it wouldn't be a surprise to see both QBs start at some point during the season. But as we gear up towards preseason tilts, Fitzpatrick has the inside track on the Week 1 starting gig.

Every day that Fitzpatrick continues to beat out Josh Rosen handily in camp is another nail in the "he might just not be that good" coffin.  I mean, it's evidently not even close right now. 

"From a quarterback standpoint, it's pretty clear to me that Ryan Fitzpatrick is leading the way," Flores said Tuesday,

"He's been more productive. At the end of the day, that's what it comes down to," Flores said, noting Fitzpatrick's leadership and added the veteran runs the offense "efficiently."

Flores could have easily opted for the coachspeak response, but didn't.  Pretty telling.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Josh Rosen started 13 games in this league.  Hes not some wide eyed rookie.  The fact that hes having trouble beating out a scrub like fitzy has to be highly concerning for the dolphins.

I actually have no clue why there is even a battle.  Rosen should be given the job for 16 weeks and see what he can do.  Any snap fitzy takes has 0 bearing on the future of the franchise.  Total dysfunction in davie.

Exactly.  It's one thing to play Fitzpatrick ahead of Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg.  It's quite another to play him over a 2018 top 10 pick for whom you just moved a 2019 2nd + 2020 5th. 

Rosen must really suck.  Or Flores is just that dumb.  Or a little of both.

• WTF? 1

Let's hope Fitz has a repeat of 2018, and wins just enough games to push MIA out of a top-5 pick.  Then, if history holds true, he'll go into the tank and Rosen will come in and get smacked around the rest of the way.  This time next year, some other poor team will be entering the Fitz Cycle with stars in their eyes.  

Image result for the shining bicycle scene gif

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Exactly.  It's one thing to play Fitzpatrick ahead of Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg.  It's quite another to play him over a 2018 top 10 pick for whom you just moved a 2019 2nd + 2020 5th. 

Rosen must really suck.  Or Flores is just that dumb.  Or a little of both.

I’m surprised by this too. If you’re going to trade for him, how do you not play Rosen? The HC coming out with a statement like this doesn’t seem like anything that was not thought out beforehand.

I know it’s really early in camp, but either Flores is playing 3-D chess here, or Rosen is really not that good.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Let's hope Fitz has a repeat of 2018, and wins just enough games to push MIA out of a top-5 pick.  Then, if history holds true, he'll go into the tank and Rosen will come in and get smacked around the rest of the way.  This time next year, some other poor team will be entering the Fitz Cycle with stars in their eyes.  

Image result for the shining bicycle scene gif

Yup....we need Fitz to win just enough to either keep the Fins out the Tua/Herbert/Fromm sweepstakes....or make it incredibly difficult for them to trade up into it.

Then they have to be just good enough to stay out of the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes in 2021. 

6 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Josh Rosen started 13 games in this league.  Hes not some wide eyed rookie.  The fact that hes having trouble beating out a scrub like fitzy has to be highly concerning for the dolphins.

I actually have no clue why there is even a battle.  Rosen should be given the job for 16 weeks and see what he can do.  Any snap fitzy takes has 0 bearing on the future of the franchise.  Total dysfunction in davie.

2,074 yards 10 TDs, 12 INTs, 52% completion rate

2,278 yards 11 TDs, 14 INTs, 55% completion rate

One is a "bust" the other has a promising career and his team has become a darling/sleeper pick of the media.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I’m surprised by this too. If you’re going to trade for him, how do you not play Rosen? The HC coming out with a statement like this doesn’t seem like anything that was not thought out beforehand.

I know it’s really early in camp, but either Flores is playing 3-D chess here, or Rosen is really not that good.

New coach trying to establish credibility cant play the guy everyone knows isnt good enough to play. This isnt the coaches fault.

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

New coach trying to establish credibility cant play the guy everyone knows isnt good enough to play. This isnt the coaches fault.

Yeah, I guess it’s just that simple. Rosen simply isn’t impressing anyone yet. First Arizona, now in Miami.

I have to admit I thought he was better then this... hopefully he turns it around. I’m not one who roots against these kids.

2 hours ago, IndianaJet said:

2,074 yards 10 TDs, 12 INTs, 52% completion rate

2,278 yards 11 TDs, 14 INTs, 55% completion rate

One is a "bust" the other has a promising career and his team has become a darling/sleeper pick of the media.

I’m biased because I liked Josh Allen more than Baker and Darnold coming out, but I think he’s going to be a stud. 

The kid is just oozing with ability and upside. I think him and Mahomes will be the two best QBs in the NFL two years from now. 

• Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Flores either knows that Fitz being given the starter role usually ends in extreme disappointment, or (if he wants to win) he doesn't know how the Fitzmagic Cycle works. Clearly if the Dolphins are trying to tank you just give the job to Fitz from the get go and get a high draft pick.... 

D6nXOt3.jpg.db4f9a96a698975564ebc1e00fc60ca4.jpg

On 7/30/2019 at 10:06 PM, WayneChrebet80 said:

I’m biased because I liked Josh Allen more than Baker and Darnold coming out, but I think he’s going to be a stud. 

The kid is just oozing with ability and upside. I think him and Mahomes will be the two best QBs in the NFL two years from now. 

52% completion percentage. I get that he's a rookie, but that's dreadful. This year will tell us a great deal about Allen's future. My guess is he'll perform somewhat similarly and rely on running again. He's begging for an injury. Mahomes is a much much better QB. It's not even close. And he's not going to be flying as high going forward either.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

On 7/26/2019 at 12:34 PM, BroadwayRay said:

Feel  kind of sorry for Rosen. He's been used and abused since he entered the league, not to mention being traded from the NFL's worst team of 2018 to the worst team of 2019. 

There’s something about that dude that just doesn’t sit right with me. Apparently the Cardinals felt the same way. I was pretty high on him before the draft....not so much now. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

52% completion percentage. I get that he's a rookie, but that's dreadful. This year will tell us a great deal about Allen's future. My guess is he'll perform somewhat similarly and rely on running again. He's begging for an injury. Mahomes is a much much better QB. It's not even close. And he's not going to be flying as high going forward either.

I can't figure out if Allen is anything more than a Cam Newton who can't pass.  If he figures out how to pass, he can be very dangerous but that's a tall order.