Ryan Fitzpatrick leads Rosen in Dolphins QB battle

On 8/1/2019 at 10:57 AM, bitonti said:

this is clearly a race to the bottom, i.e. tanking the season for a number one pick 

the Fitzpatrick/Rosen QB competition is a cry for help 

their OL is currently worst in the NFL it's Tunsil and a bunch of no ones... 3 different starters from last year>? 

I'm still not sure why they'd give up a 2nd for Rosen if that's really the case.  A complete reboot wouldn't involve purging a valuable 2nd round pick for a 2nd year QB if you're wanting to put yourself in the Tub/Herbert/Fromm, etc. sweepstakes.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

I'm still not sure why they'd give up a 2nd for Rosen if that's really the case.  A complete reboot wouldn't involve purging a valuable 2nd round pick for a 2nd year QB if you're wanting to put yourself in the Tub/Herbert/Fromm, etc. sweepstakes.

Spending a second round pick on a top ten pick from the previous draft, a guy a lot of people had as one of the top two QBs of last year's draft, is just good business for a team that's been looking for a franchise QB since Dan Marino lost to the Jaguars in the playoffs 62-7 (memories!). 

If he pans out, it's a huge win for them and they can take their high pick and select him some help. If he doesn't, they'll probably be able to get something decent for him in a trade and take their next franchise QB candidate #1. 

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Spending a second round pick on a top ten pick from the previous draft, a guy a lot of people had as one of the top two QBs of last year's draft, is just good business for a team that's been looking for a franchise QB since Dan Marino lost to the Jaguars in the playoffs 62-7 (memories!). 

If he pans out, it's a huge win for them and they can take their high pick and select him some help. If he doesn't, they'll probably be able to get something decent for him in a trade and take their next franchise QB candidate #1. 

Yeah but his post was a response to the thought they are tanking for one of next year’s QBs, in which case it doesn’t make sense to blow your 2nd round pick on a guy no matter what. But hey, it’s the Dolphins. They’re idiots. 

8 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah but his post was a response to the thought they are tanking for one of next year’s QBs, in which case it doesn’t make sense to blow your 2nd round pick on a guy no matter what. But hey, it’s the Dolphins. They’re idiots. 

I definitely don't believe they're tanking. They's got a new head coach, looking to install a winning culture ASAP. They'll be playing to win the game all year. And if Fitzpatrick is the clear leader in the competition, that's who they'll go with at QB. It's all about winning this year, with either QB, and if it turns out that they are the worst team in the league despite that, they'll probably be looking at the QBs in next year's draft. 

• Upvote 3

16 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Never could stand anything about the guy.

Can’t throw the deep ball at all, has a rag arm, but somehow tries to get the rep as a “gunslinger”, many times throwing the ball as hard as he can and not really knowing where it’s going. Erratic on many other throws.

Lucks into the starting job at all the many locations he has been, as the starter virtually always gets hurt almost as soon as Fitzpatrick arrives.  He NEVER takes the job because he is “better”.

His history proves you’ll NEVER win with him, you’ll never even make the playoffs, not 1 single time.

When the Jets went 10-6 against the weakest schedule in NFL history, I knew that meant ANOTHER year wasted with Fitzpatrick starting.  Then instead of being appreciative of hijacking the Jets for a ton of dough as Idiot Maccagnan bid against himself for Fitzpatrick, he refused to even give Petty and Hackenberg just the time of day.  Wouldn’t give them the slightest bit of mentoring.

And last but not least the creep must have cashed over $50Mill in NFL checks....all the great QBs of yesteryear who some had to take 2nd jobs to make ends meet and who could outplay Fitzpatrick throwing left handed are turning in their graves.

His career proves one thing and that is that the quality of QB play has been almost universally horrific since he entered the league outside of a few teams.  Fitzpatrick wouldn’t be 3rd string on any team in the 1970’s.

I hated him too.   He set this franchise back 4 years if you think about it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

I definitely don't believe they're tanking. They's got a new head coach, looking to install a winning culture ASAP. They'll be playing to win the game all year. And if Fitzpatrick is the clear leader in the competition, that's who they'll go with at QB. It's all about winning this year, with either QB, and if it turns out that they are the worst team in the league despite that, they'll probably be looking at the QBs in next year's draft. 

I agree with this.

There's a difference between "rebuilding" (shedding old players/bad contracts, acquiring assets, earning comp picks when your FAs leave, resetting the culture) and "tanking" (in this case I'd say deliberately building a roster that can't compete in order to get a top 2 pick and Tua Tagoviola.) I think they're doing the former.

13 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I hated him too.   He set this franchise back 4 years if you think about it.

He's just a guy playing the best as he can, trying to get as much money as he can. He's a journeyman -- good backup, bad starter. Guys like that will always exist.

The culprit who set us back 4 years is Mike Maccagnan. He's the one who whiffed on Petty and Hackenberg, he's the one who paid Fitz. He's the one who only acquired Darnold after whiffing on plan A -- paying Kirk Cousins 90 million guaranteed over 3 years.

Just be lucky things worked out the way they did. Give how dreadfully Mac mismanaged the QB situation it's just an incredible thrill we ended up with Sam.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, slats said:

I think this is all true as well.  I still think it's a mistake on their part not to find out what Rosen has in the regular season.  I'd make him prove to me he can't play.  When/if he fails, I can always to to RF. 

• Upvote 1

Fitzpatrick gets the nod to start Preseason Week 1.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001039162/article/flores-ryan-fitzpatrick-in-line-to-start-thursday

Flores: Ryan Fitzpatrick in line to start Thursday

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer
  • Published: Aug. 6, 2019 at 09:58 a.m.

Ryan Fitzpatrick continues to outpace Josh Rosen ahead of the Miami Dolphins' first preseason game.

Coach Brian Flores said Tuesday that FitzMagic would likely get the start Thursday against the Atlanta Falcons.

"I see Fitz going with the ones, but that could change. ... That's where I see it right now," Flores said, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald.

While leaving some wiggle room if he decides to change his mind, Flores' comments make it clear that Fitzpatrick is maintaining his lead to be the Week 1 starter in Miami.

At each step in the process, since the Dolphins acquired Rosen in a trade during the draft, Fitzpatrick has been ahead of the second-year quarterback. Over the weekend, however, Rosen reportedly made strides with an impressive performance in Saturday's intra-squad scrimmage. It wasn't enough yet to bump Fitzpatrick off the starting gig for the preseason.

With four preseason games to go, Rosen still has time and ground to make up to surpass the wily veteran for a shot at being the season-opening starter. At some point, however, we'd expect to see the younger signal-caller start games in 2019, even if Fitzy gets the Week 1 call.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001039162/article/flores-ryan-fitzpatrick-in-line-to-start-thursday

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer

Ryan Fitzpatrick continues to outpace Josh Rosen ahead of the Miami Dolphins' first preseason game.

Coach Brian Flores said Tuesday that FitzMagic would likely get the start Thursday against the Atlanta Falcons.

"I see Fitz going with the ones, but that could change. ... That's where I see it right now," Flores said, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald.

While leaving some wiggle room if he decides to change his mind, Flores' comments make it clear that Fitzpatrick is maintaining his lead to be the Week 1 starter in Miami.

At each step in the process, since the Dolphins acquired Rosen in a trade during the draft, Fitzpatrick has been ahead of the second-year quarterback. Over the weekend, however, Rosen reportedly made strides with an impressive performance in Saturday's intra-squad scrimmage. It wasn't enough yet to bump Fitzpatrick off the starting gig for the preseason.

With four preseason games to go, Rosen still has time and ground to make up to surpass the wily veteran for a shot at being the season-opening starter. At some point, however, we'd expect to see the younger signal-caller start games in 2019, even if Fitzy gets the Week 1 call.

Yet another defensive head coach going with the safe,  "veteran friendly" QB over the young QB. It is almost always the super conservative defensive coaches that make these decisions and they are completely and utterly idiotic from almost every viewpoint. You need to start the young guy or don't bother having him on your team. Especially for a team devoid of talent, you need to know NOW whether Rosen is the guy and if not you'll have a high draft pick to choose another one. With someone like Fitz you eke out enough games to be in no man's land, with neither a high draft pick or knowledge of whether Rosen is the guy. Just dumb.

I am so glad we ended the defensive coordinator as HC cycle. They make dumb decisions like this. Flores will be a spectacular failure from what I have seen and heard so far.

• Upvote 3

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001040178/article/josh-rosen-plays-into-fourth-in-first-dolphins-action

Josh Rosen plays into fourth in first Dolphins action

• By Grant Gordon NFL.com
  • Published: Aug. 8, 2019 at 10:48 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 8, 2019 at 10:57 p.m.

In the first round of the battle for the Dolphins' starting quarterback job, Ryan Fitzpatrick and Josh Rosen seemed to be relatively even with a scoring drive apiece mixed with questionable results.

Then Rosen found a groove with a late first-half drive and carried his hot hand into a second-half march, culminating a night in which he orchestrated three scores and ended his Miami debut, a 34-27 Dolphins victory, on an encouraging note.

The former Cardinals first-round pick who was traded to South Beach during the 2019 NFL Draft, Rosen saw far more playing time on Thursday night as his Dolphins debut saw him play all of the second and third quarters and carry into the fourth.

Getting the start, Fitzpatrick played the Dolphins' first two drives, led them to three points and went 2-for-5 for 20 yards with no turnovers.

Rosen saw far more action, piloting Miami all the way through the first drive of the fourth stanza, his night equating to 17 points, one big turnover and a 13-of-20 showing for 191 yards with two sacks and a 75.2 QB rating.

"They both managed the huddle pretty well," first-year coach Brian Flores said at halftime on the Dolphins' broadcast.

Making his coaching debut, Flores saw Fitzpatrick look very much the veteran, showing his poise in and out of the pocket. The journeyman showed he still has a strong arm and some spring is still left in his step following a nice scramble out of trouble to open the game. Fitzpatrick engineered an opening drive that equated to three points off a Jason Sanders boot.

On the third drive, Rosen took over and marched the Dolphins 71 yards for a touchdown, coming via a dive over the top by running back Kalen Ballage, who likewise is competing for a starting spot with Kenyon Drake. Rosen appeared rattled and rushed at times, but eventually settled in.

Then came the negative on the ensuing drive when he was picked off by Atlanta's Jermaine Grace.

"Obviously, I don't like the turnover from Josh," Flores said.

With just more than a minute to go in the first half, Rosen drove the Dolphins 75 yards, completing three of five passes for 71 yards on a venture that concluded with a field goal. Not done there, Rosen came back out in the second half and led another TD drive, completing all three of his passes for 49 yards.

Fitzpatrick got the start Thursday, but Rosen was given ample time and it would seem the second-year slinger is very much being bestowed the opportunity to win the starting spot.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041087/article/josh-rosen-works-with-1s-as-fins-qb-battle-heats-up

Josh Rosen works with 1s as Fins' QB battle heats up

• By Grant Gordon NFL.com
  • Published: Aug. 13, 2019 at 12:52 p.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 13, 2019 at 01:01 p.m.

As the second game of the Dolphins' preseason slate draws near, Ryan Fitzpatrick is penciled in as the starter for Miami's game against host Tampa Bay Buccaneers despite Josh Rosen having taken first-team reps at Tuesday's practice.

While the plan is for Fitzpatrick to start Friday against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers, coach Brian Flores said the competition for the starting quarterback spot remains "fluid."

Rosen's reps with the starters is a new development and one in the right direction of the former Arizona Cardinals first-round selection garnering the job.

"I thought it was a lot of fun," Rosen told the media following practice via Dolphins.com's Alain Poupart. "Got a lot to study tonight, overall it was a positive."

Following Tuesday's practice, Flores was far from glowing about Rosen, saying he did an "OK job" and needs to improve his body language.

If the plan to start Fitzpatrick on Friday holds, the game could mirror the team's first preseason outing in which the veteran started and played two series before Rosen came on and played all the way into the fourth quarter.

While the competition is no doubt amping up, Rosen is heaping praise on Fitzpatrick, who's been in a situation similar to this just last year when he was with Jameis Winston in Tampa Bay.

"He's been unbelievably helpful," Rosen, who's on his second team in two seasons, said of Fitzpatrick, who's playing for his eighth squad in 15 seasons. "Probably one of the best mentors I've ever had in this sport."

34 minutes ago, slats said:

What does that even mean? 

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/22/sports/football/22jets.html

Jets’ Sanchez Trying to Change a Defeated Look

By GREG BISHOPOCT. 21, 2009

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — As Mark Sanchez sank last Sunday into an abysmal performance, his body language followed suit. He sat isolated on the bench, shoulders slumped, head hung low. Or he stared far off into space, eyes welling with tears.

He looked like a man who had broken up with his girlfriend, or had lost his favorite pet. More to the point, he looked like a rookie quarterback who had thrown five interceptions in a game the Jets dropped, 16-13, in overtime to Buffalo.

Whether that body language remains an issue is up for debate, because Sanchez is an emotional player, whether charging downfield after touchdown passes with his mouth agape, or flogging himself after interceptions.

But in a league in which teams often take emotional cues from their quarterback, can that work as a detriment, deflating the energy around him?

“The area of concern I have was his demeanor on the sideline as the game started to spin out of control,” Tim Hasselbeck, an ESPN analyst, said on “NFL Live.” “You saw a guy on the sideline that really looked like he was moping at times. Honestly, I wasn’t sure if he was going to break down into tears.”

Similar comments were delivered after Sanchez stumbled Oct. 4 in New Orleans, his worst game before his debacle against the Bills. Sedrick Ellis, Sanchez’s college teammate at powerhouse Southern California, told The Times-Picayune that Sanchez was not accustomed to losing, and not familiar with how to deal with it.

Sanchez had never lost two consecutive games before this season, never faced a situation similar to the Jets’ current streak of three defeats. After two of them, Sanchez shouldered full blame, aiming harsh, blunt, mostly accurate criticism at no one but himself.

Ellis was quoted as saying that Sanchez “isn’t used to being down.”

He added: “I think he’ll learn that with time, but I think he definitely got rattled. You could see him on their sideline with his head down. It was very visible.”

In his first meeting with reporters since Sunday night, Sanchez on Wednesday acknowledged that his sideline demeanor remained an issue. He said his frustration was so evident, he did everything except wear a sandwich board to advertise it. He said the Jets did not need “a roller coaster” at quarterback.

Sanchez separated the issues with his emotions and his problems on the field, like those with ball security, locking onto his receivers and forcing passes into double coverage. After six games, he is tied for the N.F.L. lead with 10 interceptions, and his 56.7 quarterback ranking is 34th of 36 eligible quarterbacks.

Photo
articleInline.jpg

Mark Sanchez had five interceptions Sunday against the Bills, as the Jets lost their third straight.CreditJason Szenes for The New York Times

Experience will help Sanchez make better decisions, better reads and better throws.

“The thing that needs to change immediately is the attitude part,” he said.

Sanchez and the Jets must now navigate the thin line between his failing to control his emotions, and turning into a robot built in the Eric Mangini mold. It will require delicate balance.

Kicker Jay Feely remembered playing for the Giants when another young quarterback received criticism for his body language while playing under the microscope in New York. That quarterback was Eli Manning.

Last week, watching the Giants play New Orleans, Feely watched one errant Manning throw and noticed the same body language from his former teammate. But critics no longer complain when Manning’s emotions show, currency culled from the Super Bowl championship that he delivered.

“I don’t want somebody who doesn’t care,” Feely, an emotional sort himself, said. “I want somebody who cares so much that you can see it. You can’t be fake. Or you won’t be at your best.”

The Jets head to Oakland this weekend, where they will attempt to win their first game on the West Coast since 2004. They will be without nose tackle Kris Jenkins, who went on injured reserve this week. The Jets have their share of problems — in-game management by Coach Rex Ryan, a pass rush that belongs on a milk carton, an apparent lack of killer instinct.

But central to their success this season will be their quarterback, an emotional rookie who does not need to win games with his arm so much as he needs to avoid losing them with a landslide of poor decisions. To that end, the Jets plan to simplify their offense.

Despite the slide, the Jets believe they are built to win this season, even if their quarterback’s best days are likely somewhere in the future. That is the risk of starting a youngster at perhaps the most important position on the field. The Jets knew that going in.

Ryan said he wanted Sanchez to be himself, emotional or otherwise.

“He’s in a tough position,” fullback Tony Richardson said. “Mark, yeah, he gets down on himself. He gets upset. But that’s part of who he is, part of what we signed up for. If he’s laughing, or giggling, people will say he doesn’t care. It’s a Catch-22.”

So Sanchez plans to follow the advice of Carson Palmer, the Cincinnati quarterback and fellow Southern Cal alumnus, who sent him a text message recently.

Keep slinging it, Palmer wrote.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Josh Rosen works with 1s as Fins' QB battle heats up

• By Grant Gordon
  •  
  •  

Following Tuesday's practice, Flores was far from glowing about Rosen, saying he did an "OK job" and needs to improve his body language.

2 hours ago, slats said:

What does that even mean? 

I think Coach is looking for something more like this from Rosen....

So I guess this is what he meant...

Brian Flores wants better body language from Josh Rosen

Posted by Charean Williams on August 13, 2019, 8:16 PM EDT 

pft1-62-e1565741777583.jpg?w=560&h=316&c
AP

With the regular season quickly approaching, Josh Rosen remains the backup quarterback in Miami. Rosen is making progress, but Dolphins coach Brian Flores still is looking for more from the second-year quarterback.

Rosen didn’t hide his disgust at one stretch of plays with the starters in a joint practice against the Bucs on Tuesday. He took three sacks, and the Dolphins had a false start, according to Chris Perkins of TheAthletic.com.

Flores didn’t hide his annoyance with Rosen’s annoyance.

“I thought he practiced OK,” Flores said. “From the naked eye, I think he’s got to do a better job of getting guys in and out of the huddle, his communication, body language. There were some plays there he didn’t like, and we’ve just got to move on to the next play.”

Rosen is conscious of his body language, having worked on it at UCLA and with the Cardinals. He vows to continue working on it.

“I think especially when you get into competitive environments I tend to be very critical of myself,” Rosen said, via Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post. “I’m very competitive, so I have always worked that throughout my entire athletic career, since I’ve been a young kid.”

Flores said he has talked to Rosen about his body language and will continue to harp on it. The first-year head coach believes body language sets a tone.

“We want good body language out of everybody,” Flores said. “We’re going to have bad plays. We need to move on to the next one, period. Players, coaches, that’s everybody. The quarterback position, they’re all looking at you. That’s something they have to be conscious of.

“I talked to him about it, I talked to all the quarterbacks, as well as the leaders on the team. They’re looking at you as a leader, and I think that’s an important piece of this that people don’t talk about very much. But I think it’s very important.”

Ryan Fitzpatrick continues to lead the quarterback competition, and Flores said the plan for Friday’s preseason game against the Bucs is for Fitzpatrick to start.

“That’s kind of the thought process,” Flores said, “but that can change right after we walk out of here. I think that’s a fluid situation there. I think both guys are doing well.”

12 hours ago, TNJet said:

Why is this thread still going? 5 pages long? This is a Jets forum....screw the Dolphins lol.  I hope they both are terrible QBs so we have a great chance of sweeping them. Flores is a joke of a head coach btw. Bowles part 2.

Yeah, can't imagine why a division rival with a former Jets QB battling a young QB many here wanted to draft would be of any interest at all. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

On 8/6/2019 at 11:41 AM, Jetsfan80 said:

• 0ap1000000236552.jpg
  • By Kevin Patra
  • Around the NFL Writer

And Fitz will be benched by week 4

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

So I guess this is what he meant...

Brian Flores wants better body language from Josh Rosen

Posted by Charean Williams on August 13, 2019, 8:16 PM EDT 

pft1-62-e1565741777583.jpg?w=560&h=316&c
AP

With the regular season quickly approaching, Josh Rosen remains the backup quarterback in Miami. Rosen is making progress, but Dolphins coach Brian Flores still is looking for more from the second-year quarterback.

Rosen didn’t hide his disgust at one stretch of plays with the starters in a joint practice against the Bucs on Tuesday. He took three sacks, and the Dolphins had a false start, according to Chris Perkins of TheAthletic.com.

Flores didn’t hide his annoyance with Rosen’s annoyance.

“I thought he practiced OK,” Flores said. “From the naked eye, I think he’s got to do a better job of getting guys in and out of the huddle, his communication, body language. There were some plays there he didn’t like, and we’ve just got to move on to the next play.”

Rosen is conscious of his body language, having worked on it at UCLA and with the Cardinals. He vows to continue working on it.

“I think especially when you get into competitive environments I tend to be very critical of myself,” Rosen said, via Joe Schad of the Palm Beach Post. “I’m very competitive, so I have always worked that throughout my entire athletic career, since I’ve been a young kid.”

Flores said he has talked to Rosen about his body language and will continue to harp on it. The first-year head coach believes body language sets a tone.

“We want good body language out of everybody,” Flores said. “We’re going to have bad plays. We need to move on to the next one, period. Players, coaches, that’s everybody. The quarterback position, they’re all looking at you. That’s something they have to be conscious of.

“I talked to him about it, I talked to all the quarterbacks, as well as the leaders on the team. They’re looking at you as a leader, and I think that’s an important piece of this that people don’t talk about very much. But I think it’s very important.”

Ryan Fitzpatrick continues to lead the quarterback competition, and Flores said the plan for Friday’s preseason game against the Bucs is for Fitzpatrick to start.

“That’s kind of the thought process,” Flores said, “but that can change right after we walk out of here. I think that’s a fluid situation there. I think both guys are doing well.”

Just watched highlights of Rosen in preseason

The dolphins OL is a hot mess. Kid can’t get a break

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Philc1 said:

Just watched highlights of Rosen in preseason

The dolphins OL is a hot mess. Kid can’t get a break

This is the key Rosen is not going to look great behind any OL that is atrocious.  He is has a chance to be a Very Good QB in the NFL but he is someone who must be in the right situation. 

Flores is smart to keep Fitz ahead of Rosen because once he puts Rosen ahead of Fitz on the dpeth chart, the Fitz curse will rear its ugly head in the form of a season ending injury for Rosen.

I like the idea of Fitz as a mentor for Rosen becasue basically Fitz sucks, but he just keeps lining up and chucking innacurate balls downfield and has had a fair amount of success being lucky rather than good. Hopefully, Rosen will stop thinking so much and begin to realize if this no-talent jibronee can do this, so can I.  Don't mistake Rosen's arrogance for self confidence. In reality his arrogance is how he covers up his self doubt (IMO a sports physchiatrist would do him a world of good.)  If Rosen is able to adopt some of Fitz's Honeybadger don't give a **** attitude, it will do him a world of good.  

Fitz is a fine mentor, not like many people on this board describe him. Rosen said it, and I remember Bryce petty saying it a lot (it wasn't Fitz 's fault petty didn't pan out.)   I understand the Fitz cycle, I believe in the legendary flow chart, but it's not like he's doing it on purpose. 

1 hour ago, Charlie Brown said:

This is the key Rosen is not going to look great behind any OL that is atrocious.  He is has a chance to be a Very Good QB in the NFL but he is someone who must be in the right situation. 

That dolphins OL made the falcons backups look like the sack exchange

• Haha 1