Ryan Fitzpatrick leads Rosen in Dolphins QB battle

55 minutes ago, roscoeword said:

Fitz is a fine mentor, not like many people on this board describe him. Rosen said it, and I remember Bryce petty saying it a lot (it wasn't Fitz 's fault petty didn't pan out.)   I understand the Fitz cycle, I believe in the legendary flow chart, but it's not like he's doing it on purpose. 

Fitz is not a good mentor and he is not a good locker room guy

Did you not see his little pussy pow wow bitch fit he threw when Bowles benched him after he stunk?

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 2

10 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, can't imagine why a division rival with a former Jets QB battling a young QB many here wanted to draft would be of any interest at all. 

Yeah I realised that for 30 seconds then flushed that thought down the toilet a month ago when the thread started.

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

Here's an interesting scenario.  DAL should trade for him.  Put him behind that OLine for a few practices.  If he looks as good as Dak, they can save themselves $30MM/year.  Dak can then go banging on doors hoping he can squeeze a team for two thirds of what DAL already offered him.

Not as crazy as it sounds...

In truth IMO  Dak is more mobile but Rosen I believe has a much better arm and would make Dallas' WRs more effective..... 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001042170/article/dolphins-qb-josh-rosen-good-not-great-in-loss

Dolphins QB Josh Rosen good, not great, in loss

• By Jelani Scott NFL.com
  • Published: Aug. 17, 2019 at 12:08 a.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 17, 2019 at 12:37 a.m.

The Miami Dolphins are still looking for an answer at quarterback. Josh Rosen's play Friday night may have only provided more questions.

In his first preseason start, Rosen came out on the road against the Buccaneers and did just enough; it just wasn't enough to position his team for the victory as they fell 16-14.

Rosen's lone quarter of playing time featured six series, which included two three-and-outs, a turnover on downs, and two scoring drives that ended with kicker Jason Sanders providing the points. The sixth ended with a punt after four plays but Rosen did show off his arm with a deep 22-yard pass to wideout Durham Smythe for a first down right before the two-minute warning.

"He was into the game," said Dolphins coach Brian Flores, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. "He was ready to go. I thought he did a good job in the huddle, getting the play calls in. I thought he played well from that standpoint.

"I would like to not see him take as many sacks; but I thought he threw the ball well, had some drops -- that didn't help him. But I thought overall, he played well."

Rosen would leave the field with a decent 102 yards on 10-of-18 completions but it was by no means an easy night for the 2018 10th overall pick.

He tasted turf three times for a total loss of 15 yards and had a number of receivers drop passes, notes that could be seen more as a knock to the group Rosen was playing with than the man himself. On top of a banged-up offensive line, starting-caliber talent like receiver DeVante Parker and running back Kenyan Drake were out of the lineup and not afforded the chance to play at least a few reps. But, regardless of who was out there, Rosen was just OK against the Bucs' first-team defense.

Following the game, Flores told the media he expects to start Ryan Fitzpatrick next week against the Jaguars. Throughout training camp, Flores has maintained that "Fitzmagic" would likely start to begin the season but acknowleged that Rosen has made great improvement. Fitzpatrick's play against the Bucs -- 3-for-9 for 20 yards -- may have helped to keep that battle wide open.

Ironically, QB Jake Rudock was almost the hero Friday, going 6-for-11 for 72 yards and leading a nearly game-winning TD drive, but, when it boils down to it, this battle between Rosen and Fitzpatrick could come down to the wire.

11 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001042170/article/dolphins-qb-josh-rosen-good-not-great-in-loss

Dolphins QB Josh Rosen good, not great, in loss

• By Jelani Scott NFL.com
  • Published: Aug. 17, 2019 at 12:08 a.m.
  • Updated: Aug. 17, 2019 at 12:37 a.m.

The Miami Dolphins are still looking for an answer at quarterback. Josh Rosen's play Friday night may have only provided more questions.

In his first preseason start, Rosen came out on the road against the Buccaneers and did just enough; it just wasn't enough to position his team for the victory as they fell 16-14.

Rosen's lone quarter of playing time featured six series, which included two three-and-outs, a turnover on downs, and two scoring drives that ended with kicker Jason Sanders providing the points. The sixth ended with a punt after four plays but Rosen did show off his arm with a deep 22-yard pass to wideout Durham Smythe for a first down right before the two-minute warning.

"He was into the game," said Dolphins coach Brian Flores, via Adam Beasley of the Miami Herald. "He was ready to go. I thought he did a good job in the huddle, getting the play calls in. I thought he played well from that standpoint.

"I would like to not see him take as many sacks; but I thought he threw the ball well, had some drops -- that didn't help him. But I thought overall, he played well."

Rosen would leave the field with a decent 102 yards on 10-of-18 completions but it was by no means an easy night for the 2018 10th overall pick.

He tasted turf three times for a total loss of 15 yards and had a number of receivers drop passes, notes that could be seen more as a knock to the group Rosen was playing with than the man himself. On top of a banged-up offensive line, starting-caliber talent like receiver DeVante Parker and running back Kenyan Drake were out of the lineup and not afforded the chance to play at least a few reps. But, regardless of who was out there, Rosen was just OK against the Bucs' first-team defense.

Following the game, Flores told the media he expects to start Ryan Fitzpatrick next week against the Jaguars. Throughout training camp, Flores has maintained that "Fitzmagic" would likely start to begin the season but acknowleged that Rosen has made great improvement. Fitzpatrick's play against the Bucs -- 3-for-9 for 20 yards -- may have helped to keep that battle wide open.

Ironically, QB Jake Rudock was almost the hero Friday, going 6-for-11 for 72 yards and leading a nearly game-winning TD drive, but, when it boils down to it, this battle between Rosen and Fitzpatrick could come down to the wire.

Only a soon to be ex-coach defensive moron like Flores would start Fitzloser. How many times does he need to fail before defensive head coaches admit that as a full time starter he sucks mastodon balls, and is also a me-first locker room cancer???

Rosen was by FAR my 4th QB last year. I was petrified the Jets would take him, but not starting him if you are the Fish is completely and utterly asinine. You traded for him for a reason.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Only a soon to be ex-coach defensive moron like Flores would start Fitzloser. How many times does he need to fail before defensive head coaches admit that as a full time starter he sucks mastodon balls, and is also a me-first locker room cancer???

Rosen was by FAR my 4th QB last year. I was petrified the Jets would take him, but not starting him if you are the Fish is completely and utterly asinine. You traded for him for a reason.

Fitzloser? The nfl is obviously  very happy with him. Sending him all over the country and paying him very well. 

Him and McCown have served some other greater purpose, apparently. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 12:14 AM, Jetsbb said:

Jets were very close to giving up three 2nd rounders plus the 6th overall pick for Josh Rosen.

Says who? 

Everyone knew Giants were going with SB, Jets were getting one of Baker, Darnold  or Allen too.  

The dumb luckers just can't go with that, if you're going to guess you have to go with the one who's been the worst of the 4.  

So far.  

What the hell, 1 out of four chance picking the worst of the bunch had to be their guy

• Thumb Down 1

5 minutes ago, jgb said:

Rosen is a Geno-level bust. Both think they have nothing to learn. Huge fail.

Thank You Giants. If they went Darnold, Macc was going Rosen.

And you also see dead people I assume.

Perfect example.  Odds are against it, SOJF mentality goes with it anyway.  

Best part is Rosen was in the worst possible situation, we have no idea what he will be yet, it hasn't been decided and yes, there's plenty to learn.  

Obviously Goff wasn't a strong enough example

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And you also see dead people I assume.

Perfect example.  Odds are against it, SOJF mentality goes with it anyway.  

Best part is Rosen was in the worst possible situation, we have no idea what he will be yet, it hasn't been decided and yes, there's plenty to learn.  

Obviously Goff wasn't a strong enough example

If I’m wrong, rub my face in it. I’m calling Rosen as a huge bust as I have since before draft. We will see...

• Upvote 2

On 8/17/2019 at 9:56 AM, johnnysd said:

I'm totally disgusted that this below average never was, who would have been a long shot to be a 3rd string QB in the 1970's is just so arrogant, has cashed 10's of millions in paychecks (when I could probably throw a ball farther than him) and refuses to give back to teams gracious or you might say stupid enough to play him due to the league being virtually QB depleted most of his career (what a surprise, he could only exist in the era he played in).

When I heard he wouldn't give Petty and Hackenberg even the time of day I almost felt ill, and wanted him cut from the team the next day. I cringed the day Maccagnan brought him to NY in the first place, knowing he would waste everyones time and the Jets would never see a playoff game, which happened.  If not for Marshall and Decker snagging tons of inaccurate throws his initial Jet season against the weakest powder puff schedule the NFL has ever seen he would not have received a 2nd contract (well with Maccagnan who knows).

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, jgb said:

If I’m wrong, rub my face in it. I’m calling Rosen as a huge bust as I have since before draft. We will see...

Point wasn't who's right or who's wrong.  Point has always been he was the second ranked QB from the 2018 class for two years and struggled with AZ, playing in total chaos.  HC, OL, every aspect of the team really was a mess.  

Don't think we can fairly judge what he is or will be yet.  

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

I'm totally disgusted that this below average never was, who would have been a long shot to be a 3rd string QB in the 1970's is just so arrogant, has cashed 10's of millions in paychecks (when I could probably throw a ball farther than him) and refuses to give back to teams gracious or you might say stupid enough to play him due to the league being virtually QB depleted most of his career (what a surprise, he could only exist in the era he played in).

When I heard he wouldn't give Petty and Hackenberg even the time of day I almost felt ill, and wanted him cut from the team the next day. I cringed the day Maccagnan brought him to NY in the first place, knowing he would waste everyones time and the Jets would never see a playoff game, which happened.  If not for Marshall and Decker snagging tons of inaccurate throws his initial Jet season against the weakest powder puff schedule the NFL has ever seen he would not have received a 2nd contract (well with Maccagnan who knows).

"disgusted"

8 hours ago, PS17 said:

Fitz named starter. 

I would be pretty bummed if I were a Dolphins fan. A lot of people thought Rosen was supposed to be "the most NFL ready" and "the most polished" of the 2018 QB prospects. And he couldn't beat out a 36 year old career journeyman? Definitely a disappointment for Miami fans. 

• Upvote 3

47 minutes ago, jgb said:

It’s a prediction, not a condemnation. 

I have major doubts about Rosen, myself. 

I was a big fan before his post draft interview. From that moment on, I have slowly lost all of my enthusiasm for him. I don't like his demeanor. I don't like some of the crap he says. And I haven't been blown away by anything I have seen from him on the field. Not a good combo for a supposedly top QB prospect. 

Also, I don't care what anyone says, the folks in Arizona could not have loved him. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Don't think we can fairly judge what he is or will be yet.  

In absolute terms? You are right, we can not.

But, it's never too early to have an opinion or a "sneaking suspicion." I personally just don't get a great vibe from Rosen and I really think the Dolphins not starting him is a bad sign. My guess is that the Dolphins will be picking their future franchise QB in April of 2021. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, jgb said:

Don’t think it had to be that way. But, considering how things have gone so far it’s got to be most likely scenario at this point. He needed a team that would bring him along slowly and surround him with the talent a true pocket passer needs. This is about the worst situation for any rookie QB let alone one wirh a limited skill set and little to no ability to make plays once protection breaks down. 

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

In absolute terms? You are right, we can not.

But, it's never too early to have an opinion or a "sneaking suspicion." I personally just don't get a great vibe from Rosen and I really think the Dolphins not starting him is a bad sign. My guess is that the Dolphins will be picking their future franchise QB in April of 2021. 

I agree, and as someone who really liked Rosen pre-draft I'll admit that pretty much everything we've seen or heard from him since he was drafted has diminished my confidence in him.

Completely agree with your earlier point that something about his tenure in Arizona doesn't pass the sniff test... It's not even like there was a  GM change -- Keim moved up for Rosen then moved on a year later. That just doesn't happen. Obviously they say nice things but Murray wasn't some Luck-esque super prospect. The fact that they were ready to move on, his value plummeted, and he can't beat out Fitzpatrick on a team clearly looking to rebuild... None of it looks good for him.

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I would be pretty bummed if I were a Dolphins fan. A lot of people thought Rosen was supposed to be "the most NFL ready" and "the most polished" of the 2018 QB prospects. And he couldn't beat out a 36 year old career journeyman? Definitely a disappointment for Miami fans. 

Says alot about both Rosen and those who evaluated him so highly/ignored the warning signs.  He's basically a complete bust thru this point.

51 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

Don’t think it had to be that way. But, considering how things have gone so far it’s got to be most likely scenario at this point. He needed a team that would bring him along slowly and surround him with the talent a true pocket passer needs. This is about the worst situation for any rookie QB let alone one wirh a limited skill set and little to no ability to make plays once protection breaks down. 

I think this is the thing that football fans tend to do way too much. Maybe he didn't have the right OL, his coach sucked, the situation was bad, give him some more time, his dog died....etc. And you know what? Maybe. Maybe one or several of those things prevented the guy from being able to progress and a better situation will help. But how often does it? Guys bust early way more often than they actually turn it around. It's far more likely that the guy just isn't very good. You have to play the odds.

Worth noting that rookie year is generally a wash statistically and from almost every other aspect, but if a quarterback isn't fully transitioning into something that's clearly the guy into year 2, then it's healthier for everyone at that point to start looking elsewhere.

That said it's the Dolphins and Rosen is norotiously a colossal d-bag. I hope they stick with each other for a very long time.

• Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

9 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Says who? 

Everyone knew Giants were going with SB, Jets were getting one of Baker, Darnold  or Allen too.  

The dumb luckers just can't go with that, if you're going to guess you have to go with the one who's been the worst of the 4.  

So far.  

What the hell, 1 out of four chance picking the worst of the bunch had to be their guy

You know you're not changing their minds..  they're the equivalent of football flat earthers.

The trade was for Mayfield and they got Darnold.  In time we'll see the only thing we got lucky about was Cleveland picking the wrong guy.

• Upvote 3