KRL

KRL Camp Notes (7/26/19)

Blake Cashman will make Williamson expendable and a good tradable asset, giving this team 1 good tradable asset.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

I've seen Kaufusi's name come up both days in different reports.  Could it be the Jets found a sleeper?

• Upvote 1

Robby Anderson

General Notes

– Practice ran 2 hours and 15 minutes.

– Players in shorts & shells for the final day before the pads come on.

– Brian Winters and Brian Poole were back and participated fully.  Quinnen Williams appeared but only observed practice since it was his first day.

– The players auditioning for the return spot were Jamison Crowder, Elijah McGuire, Greg Dortch, JJ Jones and Tim White. They are returning against a skeleton coverage unit so you can’t judge who is effective yet.

– The defense had a much better day against the run but to me the offense won the day.

Coach Corner

– Very strange to see a Jet HC actually control and correct the offensive side of the ball.  Adam Gase started to get very creative with personnel groupings and formations.  Unfortunately the team doesn’t want that being leaked, but be on the look out when the games start.

– There’s a definite increase in the 11 on 11 scrimmage periods.

– Mid-practice conditioning seems to be a normal thing.  Today the offense ran “gassers” and the defense did “up/downs” and “suicides”. After that they continued practice, a good indication to see who can execute when tired.

Player Notes

– Brian Poole had an excellent day.  He had a PBU against Jamison Crowder and tight coverage even when he made a catch.  Also he showed a talent for ripping the ball out.  He caused two today, once he pulled the ball away from LeVeon Bell on a screen pass.  And then he stripped Quincy Enunwa after he made a catch.

– Ty Montgomery is going to have a bigger role in this offense than many expected.  Today he was sharp in the passing game catching multiple balls from Sam Darnold one was a 30+ yard TD.  He also was excellent in protection as he picked up a blitzing Jamal Adams to allow Darnold to
throw another long TD.

– Bronson Kaufusi had a pass knockdown and a TFL in his reps.  He’s been getting reps with the #1’s, can he create a role for himself?

– Strong day for the ILB’s CJ Mosley, Avery Williamson and Blake Cashman. They were much stronger against the run than day one.  And Cashman showed good range/speed as he was able to get from the hashes to the sideline on screen passes.

QB Notes

– Sam Darnold had an excellent day and was on fire during the 11 on 11 periods.  He spread the ball around to all his receivers and had great anticipation.  A couple of times it looked like Darnold was throwing directly to a defender but he was actually throwing to a spot where the receiver was going to be for the completion.  There were so many “sexy” plays but three stand out:

1. A 40+ yard TD to Robby Anderson where Montgomery had the blitz pickup that I mentioned earlier.

2. A 40+ yard “thread the needle” sideline throw to Quincy Enunwa who went over Darryl Roberts for the catch.

3. On the very next play he completed another 40+ yarder to Enunwa who made a one handed catch over Roberts.

– Credit to Trevor Siemian and Davis Webb as they bounced back and were more accurate.  The offense actually moved when they had their reps.

Standouts

– Sam Darnold

– Quincy Enunwa

– Robby Anderson

– Brian Poole

– Run defense

– Ty Montgomery

Concerns / Decide For Yourself

– Not a ton of pressure by the defense.  But is that a credit to the OLine (who has been very solid so far) or an indication that they’ll struggle again getting sacks. 

The post #JetsCamp Notes (7/25/19) – Big Day For Darnold appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
UmJwZMuT6lE

Click here to read the full story...

8 minutes ago, Jetster said:

When you speed an offense up & the QB knows where to go with the ball, that helps the Oline. Could we possibly have an offense that tires out an opposing defense & puts stress on their weak points?

Not sure I follow Jetster. Run slants all day? Hurry up offense? 

Quincy Enunwa’s impressive practice comes with Jets’ receiver worry

July 26, 2019 | 2:08pm

Enlarge Image
Quincy Enunwa
Quincy EnunwaBill Kostroun/New York Post

Our daily practice report from Jets training camp:

Good

WR Quincy Enunwa stole the show, making back-to-back nice grabs on long sideline throws from Sam Darnold. The first was a 50-yard touchdown pass that Enunwa plucked from just over cornerback Darryl Roberts’ head. The second was about 40 yards and Enunwa made a nice adjustment to get the ball.

Bad

The depth at wide receiver is cause for concern. The top three of Enunwa, Robby Anderson and Jamison Crowder look good but there is a significant dropoff after that. The Jets will be in trouble if they sustain an injury or two at the position.

Caught my eye

Slot CB Brian Poole practiced for the first time after being activated Thursday night from the non-football injury list. He had a nice practice with two forced fumbles

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

Medical report

The Jets remain pretty healthy to start camp. Safeties Marcus Maye (shoulder), Brandon Bryant (foot) and CB Bless Austin (knee) all remain out and working on the side during practice.

Sounds like Darnold who was very accurate at USC but became inaccurate last year is now becoming very accurate.

Again. 

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

Not sure I follow Jetster. Run slants all day? Hurry up offense? 

Get up to the LOS before the clock is at 5 seconds. Run hurry up on 3rd & 4th and short. Hike the damn ball when the defense is trying to adjust. Basically everything 75% of this league does that Jets offense hasn't done for forever. Be nice to score some quick strike TDs instead of 17 play drives for a FG attempt. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Get up to the LOS before the clock is at 5 seconds. Run hurry up on 3rd & 4th and short. Hike the damn ball when the defense is trying to adjust. Basically everything 75% of this league does that Jets offense hasn't done for forever. Be nice to score some quick strike TDs instead of 17 play drives for a FG attempt. 

There were weeks where it felt like the 17 play drive was to set up the punt from mid-field.

There were also weeks where it took us an entire half to run 17 offensive plays.

I don't miss those weeks.

• Upvote 3

Based on the NJ Ledger piece on the chess game approach between Gase and Williams, sounds like the best practices the Jets have seen in a long time. I think we're in for some very good coaching this year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, flgreen said:

I've seen Kaufusi's name come up both days in different reports.  Could it be the Jets found a sleeper?

he flashed a couple times last year and they still don't really have any proven pass rushers at OLB 

this is going to sound random but the Jets marketing dept wished him a happy birthday he must be living at the facility 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Gotcha, I would rather keep Brady off the field with possession, and score 6's, control the clock and rest the D.

55 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Sounds like Darnold who was very accurate at USC but became inaccurate last year is now becoming very accurate.

Again. 

@jetsons That was a dig at one of our morbidly depressed “fans” who doesn’t understand the difference between accuracy and completion percentage.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

Any flashes from polite yet?

Hard to really judge O-line and D-line play when there still not going in full pads.  We'll learn more starting tomorrow for sure.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, nycdan said:

So we should just come out firing 40 yard passes on 1st down.  Two plays = TD.  Rinse.  Repeat.  19-0.  Thank you for coming.

I had to read it three times but I did thanks. 

30 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

@jetsons That was a dig at one of our morbidly depressed “fans” who doesn’t understand the difference between accuracy and completion percentage.  

Gotcha... confused look removed. 

• Butt Fumble 1

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

Wait just a second, your not sitting here trying to tell us that coaching actually matters, are you?

24 minutes ago, New York Mick said:

I had to read it three times but I did thanks. 

LOL it was a little incoherent but it's Friday so all is forgiven, right?

1 hour ago, Apache 51 said:

Gotcha, I would rather keep Brady off the field with possession, and score 6's, control the clock and rest the D.

Yeah, that would be optimal. but the way you get there is by creating chunk plays that make the defense have to defend the entire field. Sometimes you'll hit on quick-strike TD. but if the defense knows you're going to test them deep, they have to defend it, which opens up yards underneath.

I'm getting excited, thinking that the Jets might have an offensive mindset to score. If it's quick or if it's a long drive, just keep scoring. Don't get up 14 points and start needing to "impose your will". Just keep doing what is working.

I was thinking if the Jets would have just stayed aggressive offensively their seasons under Bowles would have been a lot different. But that is not who Bowles was. I do think that he has gotten many a WR hurt with his ridiculously short-range offense. But then again, I do recall how incredibly inept the Jets OL could be during those years. They never seemed able to do what they absolutely had to do, e.g., get a yard on the ground in a short-yardage situation or pass protect in an obvious passing down. I certainly hope that changes under this new regime. I think the talent on the OL is two ticks better than what Macagnan inherited, but that bar is unbelievably low.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

Quincy Enunwa’s impressive practice comes with Jets’ receiver worry

July 26, 2019 | 2:08pm

Enlarge Image
Quincy Enunwa
Quincy EnunwaBill Kostroun/New York Post

Our daily practice report from Jets training camp:

Good

WR Quincy Enunwa stole the show, making back-to-back nice grabs on long sideline throws from Sam Darnold. The first was a 50-yard touchdown pass that Enunwa plucked from just over cornerback Darryl Roberts’ head. The second was about 40 yards and Enunwa made a nice adjustment to get the ball.

Bad

The depth at wide receiver is cause for concern. The top three of Enunwa, Robby Anderson and Jamison Crowder look good but there is a significant dropoff after that. The Jets will be in trouble if they sustain an injury or two at the position.

Caught my eye

Slot CB Brian Poole practiced for the first time after being activated Thursday night from the non-football injury list. He had a nice practice with two forced fumbles

unmiss-sound-button-muted-e74d67a0c85c3548f07d7564782a269c.svg

Medical report

The Jets remain pretty healthy to start camp. Safeties Marcus Maye (shoulder), Brandon Bryant (foot) and CB Bless Austin (knee) all remain out and working on the side during practice.

What team doesn't have a significant dropoff going to their 4th WR? If the 4th WR on any NFL team were good; he wouldn't be a number 4 anywhere. Silly assessment.

• Upvote 4

35 minutes ago, nycdan said:

LOL it was a little incoherent but it's Friday so all is forgiven, right?

🤦‍♂️ I was joking about spanking my dick to the Jets being 19-0

9FAF573F-6C60-4F67-90A9-BAFCBE3FD6C8.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

Relax boys ; it's practice .

Image result for practice gif allen iverson

Without pads, no less.

But it’s football.... so ok to get excited!

• Like 1