KRL Camp Notes (7/27/19)

KRL

10 minutes ago, BettyBoop said:

This is really great stuff.  Many thanks!

I think we've heard about Cashman three days in a row which is very encouraging.  Also very encouraging to hear about the OL playing well.

Yeah I have to agree Betty.

this is the best line in the reports so far.  "The #1 OLine should be recognized for their performance.  With pads
on they played "nasty" in the run game with Kelechi Osemele leading 
the way"   

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Kelechi Osemele is going to be a great help to the ol. I really think it’s going to be a good unit. 

Agree.

Think KO was the Jets best off season get.  The inside of  OL really sucked last season until Harrison took over at C,  Then it improved.  Still had problems at LG, which it appears that KO has healed.

Plus it seems like they have a coach who has actually coached them up.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Kelechi Osemele is going to be a great help to the ol. I really think it’s going to be a good unit. 

35 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Agree.

Think KO was the Jets best off season get.  The inside of  OL really sucked last season until Harrison took over at C,  Then it improved.  Still had problems at LG, which it appears that KO has healed.

Plus it seems like they have a coach who has actually coached them up.

It’s encouraging to hear about the OL playing good. I think at best this unit has the potential to be average, which might be enough. The key to this line playing to its potential has to be the depth, due inconsistent play or injury, we should see Compton or Edoga get a shot at starting this year. 

I think we finished anywhere from 25th and up last season in offensive line rankings , wouldn’t be shocked if we finish the year 16th or 17th with the addition of KO and subtracting Spencer Long. 

Jets Practice Report: Ty Montgomery Carries Load, Trumaine Johnson Takes It Away

E_c11i9699-allen-headshot

Eric Allen

SENIOR REPORTER

20190727_132729890_iOS-practice-report-thumb_edited-1

On just the second play of the Jets’ third camp practice, RB Le’Veon Bell took a handoff from Sam Darnold and found daylight along the left side of the line. Bell decisively exploded through the hole, much to the delight of the fans, but his workout would soon be over. For the second consecutive day, Bell was forced to the locker room to take a drug test.

“Since he wasn’t here during the spring, they have to do it now during training camp,” said head coach Adam Gase, who later added, “There’s nothing we can do about it.”

The Jets will have Bell carry a heavy load in the regular season, but one of the most impressive performers early in camp has been Ty Montgomery. Listed as a RB-WR, Montgomery again turned in a solid day while lining up seemingly everywhere, catching passes from Sam Darnold and running the ball in between the tackles.

“When Le’Veon had to go in, we were low on numbers,” Gase said. “So, Ty might be around 165 pounds right now after today. We were trying to move all those guys. The good thing is it was good for them because that can happen in a real game. And any time you are thrown in with the ones, everything is real amplified.”

Montgomery carried the load today, but veterans Bilal Powell got more reps and Trenton Cannon, who showed off the wheels on a run up the gut, even got a couple of reps with the first team-offense. Gase, the team’s creative playcaller, has his unit working fast and Darnold is spreading the football around.

“I feel like towards the end, that last team period, we looked a little heavy-footed which is good. That’s what’s training camp is for is to get us really conditioned and push ourselves and almost get to that edge where you feel like you’re almost going to drop because you feel I’m in cement,” Gase said. “I felt guys were trying to push through that stuff, but I like the pace. I liked a lot of the plays that occurred. The line felt like they had some good juice to them. We hit a couple of runs there and you could tell they were feeling it.”

Montgomery, who found space on a number of occasions, including a gash up the gut after a read option, was an under-the-radar addition in free agency. But he’s a guy who can spell Bell and Gase also has the option of using them together to create mismatches.

“The offense shouldn’t skip a beat,” Montgomery said of him replacing Bell. “The offense shouldn’t feel that much different. It should still be an attack offense. The running back should still be explosive whether they’re running the ball of whether they’re running a route and catching the ball. It’s going to be a fun year, a fun offense.”

Two for Trumaine
Defensive coordinator Gregg Williams continues to preach the need for takeaways and cornerback Trumaine Johnson obliged with a pair Saturday. He started the thievery by stepping in front of a Darnold pass over the middle intended for slot receiver Jamison Crowder.

“We were in man-to-man coverage and fortunately I had a safety over the top,” Johnson said. “I was just reading him and his stem. He went out and I went it. I have seen the route plenty of times and had to make a play.”

“That was a good play by Trumaine. I told him that’s why we probably only threw at you like three times over six years,” added Gase. “I didn’t realize he stayed over there. We were trying to pick on Poole a little bit. He had caused a couple of turnovers yesterday, so we tried to go after him and Trumaine stayed over there.”

Later in the session, Johnson added a fumble recovery. The 29-year-old No. 1 corner, who had four interceptions last season in just 10 games, has thrived under Williams before and displayed his football acumen on the pick.

“I know stems. I know when the receiver is about to catch the ball and when he’s not. It was a double move,” he said. “Crowder, he’s a hell of a receiver first off, let’s give him credit. As soon as he did what I call a stick-nine, I turned my eyes around and the ball was right there.”

Jetcetera
Rookie Quinnen Williams participated in his first camp practice and got in with the first-team defense early in the opening team period… Veteran outside linebacker Jordan Jenkins, who tied for the team lead with seven sacks last year, said he’s down to nine-percent body fat. “Even at home, I’ve got like a water filter so I always have water available,” he said. “I’m staying away from the juices and all that.” Jenkins, already in his fourth year out of Georgia, will be a good mentor for Jachai Polite, a third-round pick from Florida. “I just want to help him understand it’s a grind and you just have to keep your head up. You just have to keep your head up because when your number’s called, you have to be ready.” … Bronson Kafusi, a 6’6”, 275-pounder, again got some work with the first-unit defense along the defensive line. He is a long-limbed defender who brings a non-stop motor. Frankie Luvu also got some first-team run today at outside ‘backer and rookie Blake Cashman took some at inside LB. Williams is going to use plenty of personnel all year long… Safety Doug Middleton made a diving interception off a floated ball that Trevor Siemian threw under heavy duress…Greg Dortch, Quadree Henderson, Tim White, J.J. Jones and Jamison Crowder all took reps at punt returner.

image.gif

image.gif

Jets training camp: Observations, thoughts on Day 3 | 1st padded practice, Quinnen Williams’ debut, Ty Montgomery puts on show, more

Updated 1:45 PM; Today 1:44 PM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets are three days into training camp, but Saturday was their first practice in pads of 2019.

With pads comes added intensity and an extra step toward real-game action.

So what happened on Day 3? Who looked good, who looked bad and what were the major highlights and takeaways?

false

Here’s a look at our observations and thoughts on Saturday’s session:

Sam Darnold tracker

Darnold went 4-for-8 passing with one interception. He took 20 reps during his four team periods.

The first team period was far and away Darnold’s most productive – individually speaking. He went 3-for-4 with the lone incompletion coming on a drop by Le’Veon Bell, who failed to reel in a screen pass. The three completions found Bell along the left sideline, Ty Montgomery out of the backfield – while Darnold was under duress – and Robby Anderson down the left sideline.

After that six-play series, Darnold threw the ball considerably less. He was picked off by Trumaine Johnson during the second team period; Darnold looked for Jamison Crowder on a post route to his right, but Johnson jumped underneath to snare it.

Le’Veon Bell MIA again

Bell missed about 35 minutes of Friday’s practice in order to take a league-mandated drug test.

Turns out, that wasn’t a one-off. He went missing again after the first team period Saturday and did not return, missing the final hour of practice. Head coach Adam Gase said he once again was required to undergo drug testing, hence the absence.

How did Quinnen Williams fare in debut?

Williams missed Thursday’s practice because he didn’t have a contract, then sat out Friday’s session after signing. But he cleared the physical and conditioning tests, so he was out there for Saturday’s practice.

The majority of Williams’ snaps came with the second team, but he did spend some time working with the starters. He relieved Steve McLendon after two reps during the first team period and rotated in a little bit during subsequent series as well.

Gase resisted a knee-jerk review of his performance after practice, saying that he would have to watch the tape back to get a real feel for how the rookie looked. But either way, Williams’ first practice is in the books. Now it’s about watching for growth and a potential move up the pecking order.

The Ty Montgomery show

The Jets’ No. 2 running back has looked terrific through three days of practice. He’s proving his worth as a dual-threat back and Gase clearly enjoys putting him on the field with Bell in order to keep the defense off balance.

But when Bell was absent the last two days, Montgomery hopped into the lead role without missing a beat. He’s looked aggressive as a runner and sure-handed while running routes. He reeled in a beautiful one-handed grab when Darnold, under duress, floated a pass to him over some oncoming rushers.

Corner issues

There’s been plenty of talk already, even in early days, about cornerback being the weakness of the Jets’ defense. Johnson pushed back on that conventional wisdom at the podium Friday, then backed it up with that interception Saturday.

But during one-on-one drills earlier in practice, the cornerbacks struggled mightily. Derrick Jones got roasted by Deonte Thompson. Longshot wide receiver Tim White managed a 40-yard touchdown grab down the right sideline. Even Johnson had issues, getting beat handily by Quincy Enunwa – though the wide receiver wasn’t able to make the grab.

To his credit, Darryl Roberts did keep Robby Anderson under tabs and make a nice play on one route.

But the majority of the drill looked pretty ugly for the defense.

Backup QB competition

Davis Webb has had a few nice throws during this camp, but some fundamentals are giving him fits, too. He muffed a snap Saturday, after fumbling twice on Thursday. This time, the error was greeted by a heated offensive coordinator; Dowell Loggains yanked him out in favor of Luke Falk. Those two are fighting for the No. 3 job right now, behind Darnold and Trevor Siemian.

Kicking woes worsen

Chandler Catanzaro had a poor start to training camp, missing two kicks on Thursday. But things got worse Saturday, when he missed three straight in the 45-50-yard range. Catanzaro’s first attempt wasn’t remotely close – it came up well short and wide right. The second had enough distance, but also sailed right. The third hit the right upright.

To his credit, he bounced back with three straight makes in the next period. But Saturday shoed that the kicking inconsistencies could become a trend, as opposed to one rusty day at the start of camp.

Punt return problems

The Jets continue rolling a bunch of players through on punt returns – six, to be exact. Two of them, Quadree Henderson and Greg Dortch, muffed a punt on Saturday.

Also included in the competiton: White, Josh Bellamy, J.J. Jones and Crowder.

Buy Jets preseason tickets: StubHub, SeatGeek

Quick notes

• Williams isn’t the only notable rookie, of course; the Jets took three other players in the top three rounds. Offensive lineman Chuma Edoga spent Saturday working with the second team. So did linebacker Blake Cashman. Tight end Trevon Wesco saw a few first team snaps. Edge rusher Jachai Polite worked with the third team.

• The Jets’ first-team offense tried a trick play at one point, but the defense snuffed it out and held firm, breaking things up right around the line of scrimmage. Still, it was interesting to see the Jets offense break out a wrinkle during practice. It shows that this offense vs. defense battle isn’t just a hyped up creation; the two units really are trying to one-up each other on every snap.

• Here’s a fun battle to keep an eye on throughout camp: Crowder vs. Brian Poole. Those two talented newcomers will be lining up across from one another all summer long. Crowder is a shifty, elusive receiver; Poole is an aggressive corner. Should make for some fireworks in both directions.

• Saturday was the first of the Jets’ four open practices. It was clear early on that the players enjoyed the added attention; Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and others spent time hyping up the crowd during the team stretch. But once 11-on-11 play began, things actually settled down. The Jets’ practice routine of running special teams plays between team periods seemed to subdue the crowd a bit. That, or it could have been the combination of heat and Saturday morning fatigue.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Jets training camp: Observations, thoughts on Day 3 | 1st padded practice, Quinnen Williams’ debut, Ty Montgomery puts on show, more

Updated 1:45 PM; Today 1:44 PM

By Matt Stypulkoski | NJ Advance Media for NJ.com

The Jets are three days into training camp, but Saturday was their first practice in pads of 2019.

With pads comes added intensity and an extra step toward real-game action.

So what happened on Day 3? Who looked good, who looked bad and what were the major highlights and takeaways?

false

Here’s a look at our observations and thoughts on Saturday’s session:

Sam Darnold tracker

Darnold went 4-for-8 passing with one interception. He took 20 reps during his four team periods.

The first team period was far and away Darnold’s most productive – individually speaking. He went 3-for-4 with the lone incompletion coming on a drop by Le’Veon Bell, who failed to reel in a screen pass. The three completions found Bell along the left sideline, Ty Montgomery out of the backfield – while Darnold was under duress – and Robby Anderson down the left sideline.

After that six-play series, Darnold threw the ball considerably less. He was picked off by Trumaine Johnson during the second team period; Darnold looked for Jamison Crowder on a post route to his right, but Johnson jumped underneath to snare it.

Le’Veon Bell MIA again

Bell missed about 35 minutes of Friday’s practice in order to take a league-mandated drug test.

Turns out, that wasn’t a one-off. He went missing again after the first team period Saturday and did not return, missing the final hour of practice. Head coach Adam Gase said he once again was required to undergo drug testing, hence the absence.

How did Quinnen Williams fare in debut?

Williams missed Thursday’s practice because he didn’t have a contract, then sat out Friday’s session after signing. But he cleared the physical and conditioning tests, so he was out there for Saturday’s practice.

The majority of Williams’ snaps came with the second team, but he did spend some time working with the starters. He relieved Steve McLendon after two reps during the first team period and rotated in a little bit during subsequent series as well.

Gase resisted a knee-jerk review of his performance after practice, saying that he would have to watch the tape back to get a real feel for how the rookie looked. But either way, Williams’ first practice is in the books. Now it’s about watching for growth and a potential move up the pecking order.

The Ty Montgomery show

The Jets’ No. 2 running back has looked terrific through three days of practice. He’s proving his worth as a dual-threat back and Gase clearly enjoys putting him on the field with Bell in order to keep the defense off balance.

But when Bell was absent the last two days, Montgomery hopped into the lead role without missing a beat. He’s looked aggressive as a runner and sure-handed while running routes. He reeled in a beautiful one-handed grab when Darnold, under duress, floated a pass to him over some oncoming rushers.

Corner issues

There’s been plenty of talk already, even in early days, about cornerback being the weakness of the Jets’ defense. Johnson pushed back on that conventional wisdom at the podium Friday, then backed it up with that interception Saturday.

But during one-on-one drills earlier in practice, the cornerbacks struggled mightily. Derrick Jones got roasted by Deonte Thompson. Longshot wide receiver Tim White managed a 40-yard touchdown grab down the right sideline. Even Johnson had issues, getting beat handily by Quincy Enunwa – though the wide receiver wasn’t able to make the grab.

To his credit, Darryl Roberts did keep Robby Anderson under tabs and make a nice play on one route.

But the majority of the drill looked pretty ugly for the defense.

Backup QB competition

Davis Webb has had a few nice throws during this camp, but some fundamentals are giving him fits, too. He muffed a snap Saturday, after fumbling twice on Thursday. This time, the error was greeted by a heated offensive coordinator; Dowell Loggains yanked him out in favor of Luke Falk. Those two are fighting for the No. 3 job right now, behind Darnold and Trevor Siemian.

Kicking woes worsen

Chandler Catanzaro had a poor start to training camp, missing two kicks on Thursday. But things got worse Saturday, when he missed three straight in the 45-50-yard range. Catanzaro’s first attempt wasn’t remotely close – it came up well short and wide right. The second had enough distance, but also sailed right. The third hit the right upright.

To his credit, he bounced back with three straight makes in the next period. But Saturday shoed that the kicking inconsistencies could become a trend, as opposed to one rusty day at the start of camp.

Punt return problems

The Jets continue rolling a bunch of players through on punt returns – six, to be exact. Two of them, Quadree Henderson and Greg Dortch, muffed a punt on Saturday.

Also included in the competiton: White, Josh Bellamy, J.J. Jones and Crowder.

Buy Jets preseason tickets: StubHub, SeatGeek

Quick notes

• Williams isn’t the only notable rookie, of course; the Jets took three other players in the top three rounds. Offensive lineman Chuma Edoga spent Saturday working with the second team. So did linebacker Blake Cashman. Tight end Trevon Wesco saw a few first team snaps. Edge rusher Jachai Polite worked with the third team.

• The Jets’ first-team offense tried a trick play at one point, but the defense snuffed it out and held firm, breaking things up right around the line of scrimmage. Still, it was interesting to see the Jets offense break out a wrinkle during practice. It shows that this offense vs. defense battle isn’t just a hyped up creation; the two units really are trying to one-up each other on every snap.

• Here’s a fun battle to keep an eye on throughout camp: Crowder vs. Brian Poole. Those two talented newcomers will be lining up across from one another all summer long. Crowder is a shifty, elusive receiver; Poole is an aggressive corner. Should make for some fireworks in both directions.

• Saturday was the first of the Jets’ four open practices. It was clear early on that the players enjoyed the added attention; Leonard Williams, Jamal Adams and others spent time hyping up the crowd during the team stretch. But once 11-on-11 play began, things actually settled down. The Jets’ practice routine of running special teams plays between team periods seemed to subdue the crowd a bit. That, or it could have been the combination of heat and Saturday morning fatigue.

Not good for Dortch muffing punts, that's likely his only way on the team

Jets’ Trumaine Johnson backs up his words with on-field statement

July 27, 2019 | 3:40pm

Enlarge Image
Trumaine Johnson
Trumaine JohnsonBill Kostroun

Our daily practice report from Jets training camp:

Good

A day after saying cornerbacks would not be a weakness for the Jets, Trumaine Johnson backed up his words. He made a nice interception on Sam Darnold, jumping in front of Jamison Crowder to pick off the ball.

Bad

Kicker Chandler Catanzaro missed three field goals in a row early in practice from 44-50 yards. Catanzaro is back with the Jets after a year away. He redeemed himself later in practice with three straight makes.

Caught my eye

Gregg Williams uses a lot of different players on the defensive line. It is nearly impossible to tell who is on the first team, second team, etc. because he rotates so many guys. Bronson Kaufusi and Harvey Langi are two surprises who appear to be getting a lot of time with the first group.

Medical report

Nothing has changed injury-wise for the Jets. Safeties Marcus Maye (shoulder), Brandon Bryant (foot) remain on the PUP list. CB Bless Austin (knee) is on the non-football injury list.

• Sympathy 1