New York Jets QB Sam Darnold, 7.27

On 7/28/2019 at 12:09 AM, Maxman said:

New York Jets QB Sam Darnold, 7.27

On maintaining his friendship with former Jets QB Josh McCown...

It's funny, Josh has a few younger kids and a lot of their communication is through Snapchat, so I know he got one last year and we've been talking on Snapchat a little bit. Me and Josh, we have a good relationship. We've been talking really almost every other day.

On what he talks about with McCown...

Me and Josh, for the most part, we talk about football still. He's such a good football mind. Obviously, he's been around the game for a long time so any question that pops into my head, I'm always asking him. He misses it every single day and he's always asking me questions, 'How are the guys? What's the system like? What are you guys running?' Josh is just such a good dude. I've been in contact with him and we just talk about that kind of stuff, but we're also talking about family and other things.

On McCown's future is a TV Analyst...

Josh will be great. I got all the confidence in the world in him. We'll see, but I have no doubts that he's going to be fantastic up there.

On whether he would mind being criticized by McCown...

Not at all. He'll probably be a lot nicer even if he's critical on TV than he would be in the film room. Whatever he says won't hurt me at all.

On McCown being a tough critic in the film room...

You have to be. I was a rookie last year and he's obviously an older vet[eran]. He was very critical of me but he was very good about making sure I was staying positive, but when he needed to correct me and be critical of me, he was.

On his increased confidence heading into his second season...

I think confidence is a huge asset to have as a quarterback. I think going into year two now knowing most of the guys, I keep saying it, but knowing most of the guys and understanding their personalities and what clicks for most of them, how to talk to some guys helps.

On building chemistry with new players on offense...

With those guys, they're so unique. For running backs, they have such good route-running ability. They can line up out wide, run routes. In the backfield you don't know if they're going to run a route or get a handoff so it makes it hard on a defense and it's really good for us as an offense to have those weapons. We're going to keep using them and for me, I'm going to keep getting used how they run routes and on zone read and different things, outside zone, all this stuff. All of the different footwork that you can run out of the backfield, I'm going to be very conscientious of how they run and their paths on different zone read stuff.

On learning how to communicate with different players...

It's just some guys click to different things. I'm not going to give hard examples, but some guys might be more quiet. You might have to talk to them one-on-one. Some guys might like to get, not necessarily ripped, but some guys might like to get talked to in front of the whole group and that fires them up a little bit and then they want to go out there and prove it in front of their teammates. It's just about knowing your teammates and understanding how you have to talk to him. 

On how important that communication is...

I definitely think you have to be able to understand what makes guys click, what sets a fire underneath a guy because if you can figure that out, especially as a quarterback, I feel like you can get everyone playing and on the same page and everyone running routes, blocking, running at a very high level and at a 100 percent every single play.

On using the running backs as receivers out of the backfield...

It's more progression goes to them, but there's definitely some plays where they're the number one guy on our progressions, but the answer just depends on the play. 

On his views on his leadership...

I think, whether I want to call myself a leader or not, I think it's just me being the guy that I am every single day. I think, as a quarterback, yeah, you have to be able to lead. There's not a better way to put it, I don't think. You just have to be able to tell the guys what to do on every single play and if one guy messes up or you might want the route to look a different way or maybe someone messes up pass protection or even if I mess up a pass protection or mess up a throw, I have to communicate. ‘How can we get it better?’ because on Sundays, there's no room for error. We just have to be clicking on all things and in practice is the time to fix it and for me, I have to be very outspoken about what's right and what's wrong.

On the anticipation between seasons and what is his next step…

First of all, I’m ready to roll. Obviously, there’s a lot of practices left in training camp, leading up to the preseason and obviously leading up to Week One against Buffalo, but I’m ready to roll. I’m excited, I think this team’s poised to do great things this year, but it really starts one week at a time, one day at a time so that’s our mindset right now. For me, I have higher expectations than anyone for myself so it’s just about going up there and executing, finding completions and doing my thing every single play.

On the first padded practice…

It’s harder. It’s a lot harder, your legs feel a bit heavier, but it’s just getting used to that. I think as we continue to have pads on, I’ll be ready to go by the time preseason one comes around, maybe even before that.

On what the unpredictability of the defense will do for him…

Gregg’s (Williams) been throwing the kitchen sink at us, but it’s definitely helping us, just in terms of if a guy comes free what do we do, that kind of thing. It definitely makes our receivers lock in a little bit. They’re thinking a lot out there which I think will make the games a lot easier. I think it’s good from that standpoint.

On if he has talked to Gase about how much he’ll be doing in the preseason…

We haven’t really talked about that.

On today’s tempo…

I thought the tempo was good, got completions, a lot of guys touching the football, like you said, which was great. I think towards the end with pads our legs were getting a little heavier. When our legs get heavy and practice gets toward the end here, we just have to keep pushing through, because it’ll only make us better.

On his thoughts of Ty Montgomery and Jamison Crowder…

Yeah, Ty and Jamison, they’ve been great. Ty is such a dual threat coming out of the backfield and running the ball, being able to catch it out of the back field, he’s a great threat. He’s brining a ton of energy at practice, running into the endzone almost every time he gets the ball. Jamison is just a pro, he’s a vet, he knows leverage. I like to call him a basketball player out there, he’s really shifty and he understands leverage so, he’s really good for us in the middle. Then when he lines up outside, he gets a good match up and it’s hard to grab him.

On if he feels this offense will allow him to stretch the field more…

Definitely. I think what we want to do on our offense, the number one thing is attack. Don’t let the defense get settled in, make them feel uncomfortable every single play. That’s our goal, that’s what were going to do whether that’s with tempo or pushing the ball down the field. It’s just keeping the defense on their toes, making sure that they have no idea what’s coming just going about it that way. I think if we continue to do that, we’re getting great feedback from our defense too, in terms of what were doing is good, they’re having a hard time with it, but at the same time our defense is doing a great job of stopping us sometimes too, so it’s a really good competition out there. Whenever you get feedback from players of that caliber who are on our defense right now it’s a really good sign for us.

On getting feedback from the defense after practice …

I think it makes it more fun, it makes it more competitive. When guys are talking about it after like. ‘Hey you got us on that one but remember when you threw that pick?’ So, when they bring that up it lights a fire under me to get back at them the next time. It’s just fun, coming out here every single day and practicing, we get to play football for a living. It doesn’t really get much better than that. As long as our guys understand that, we can come out here with the same energy every single day. I think we’ll have a great day.

kind of interesting.  i think the most interesting thing is the whole josh mccown relationship.  i remember when tom seaver joined the red xos in the mid 80's.  he was asked what he could tell roger clemens about pitching and basically seaver said all he could tell clemens was when to get on the bus or what time the plane left for the next game.  the bottom line is there was very little seaver could've told clemens, at least about how to pitch.

i suspect it's the same way with darnold and mccown.  darnold has far more talent than mccown even dreamed of having.

• Sympathy 1