If Qvale's injury is serious, how does it impact OL depth?

IF Qvale's injury today is serious and causes him to use the start to the season, how will it impact the depth on the offensive line?

The 5 starters seem set

LT - Kelvin Beachum 

LG - Kelechi Osemele

C - Jonothhan Harrison 

RG - Brian Winters 

RT - Brandon Shell

Free Agent signee Tom Compton always seemed like a safe bet to be the 6th man backing up both guard spots. Draftee Chuma Edoga always seemed like a good bet to back up both tackles.  So that's 7 safe spots.  Assuming we need someone to be the back up center - Jon Toth, Toa Lobedahn or a waiver claim, that's 8 spots.  So, we probably need one more.

G/T Ben Braden, who is the most Qvale-like physically and positionally, OT Eric Smith, claimed off the patriots practice squad last season and OT  Calvin Anderson, an UDFA waived by the patriots after starting at Texas last year, might fight it out for the last OL roster spot left open by Qvale's injury

Two Jets UDFAs: Tyler Jones and Wyatt Miller both have potential but seem more like Practice Squad options - they should play a lot in the preseason, so we will keep an eye on them. Former Bears draftee C/G Jordan Morgan is a dark horse 

• Upvote 2

With Qvale getting hurt, it does hurt the Jets depth. They need to check the waiver wire on a week to week basis to see if they find another olinemen to replace Qvale. They also need to find more depth at the center position as well as the tackle position.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, CrazyCarl40 said:

The line is average to believe average as a whole. Losing any sense of depth is obviously bad. I doubt they make any big splashes because of this because they should have been looking already. 2020 is probably when they address the offensive line seriously.

Macc ignored it Joe Douglas cannot especially with an injury this early on in camp. We had no depth to begin with. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Macc ignored it Joe Douglas cannot especially with an injury this early on in camp. We had no depth to begin with. 

Serious question are there cutdown dates 90/75 75/60 60/53 ? If not don’t see any real movement till final cuts. 

• Upvote 1

I know everyone is blowing this off as "no big deal, Qvale sucked".  Actually he didn't.  Certainly not a "Pro Bowl" type player, but he was very good as a back up.

Qvale sucked as a LT, but IMO he was  just below starting quality RT.  I actually thought he was just as good as Shell, but I think the prior CS thought Shell had a higher up side.  Mostly because of his last name IMO. 

Qvale was also a decent RG in a pinch.  When he was in at either position I really couldn't tell the difference in the OL play.  He might be a difficult guy to replace as a back up.

Hope one of these young guys is up to the task

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Nope....just 1 big megacut

At that point I don’t see any real movement even a trade till the Jets and many others see what shake loose. Have to look big picture to trade away draft picks when you are not a team on the brink too me is not wise.

17 hours ago, The Crusher said:

A penny is not much money unless your a cent short. 

Then you take a penny out of the cup by the register for everyone to share...

Qvale was depth but easily replaceable depth. Sure the OL isn't great talent but that means the depth is JAGs or worse. Qvale is in the or worse category and probably be replaced by Training camp cuts in August... Again this is nothing

17 hours ago, The Crusher said:

A penny is not much money unless your a cent short. 

Just like most places you can just grab a penny from their penny cup. We can grab another below average Olineman from Olineman cut in camp list.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Then you take a penny out of the cup by the register for everyone to share...

Qvale was depth but easily replaceable depth. Sure the OL isn't great talent but that means the depth is JAGs or worse. Qvale is in the or worse category and probably be replaced by Training camp cuts in August... Again this is nothing

I didn't read this until after I posted the same analogy. First thing that came to my mind.

18 hours ago, JetsFanNick12 said:

Jets need to call the redskins right now

Qvale is not a loss (I feel bad for anyone who gets injured, but im speaking just about his ability as a player.

Teams should not have guys like Qvale on their team except for emergencies.  He isnt young enough to develop nor is he young enough to have upside, while at the same time he isnt as good as other veterans who will shake lose at cutdowns.

There is simply no way he is marginally better then someone like Braden, who does have some upside.  

Lets hope our younger guys develop and can provide depth behind compton.

As for the Redskins - shefter tweeted yesterday that the relationship between the redskins and Williams is too fractured to repair.  Beachem and a 3 - get it done.