KRL Camp Notes (7/28/19)

KRL

Trumaine Johnson, Jamal Adams

General Notes

– Players in full pads.

– Practice ran 2 hours and 25 minutes.

Brent Qvale appeared to be seriously injured as he was carted off with an air cast on his leg.

Coach Corner

– A 1-2 minute “off the cuff” speech by Gregg Williams to the fans. Telling them how happy the staff is to be here, how the team wants to be coached and how they look forward to defending MetLife stadium.

– After that speech Williams and the rest of the defense basically pitched a shutout, as they had a dominant lockdown performance.  What was most impressive was how all three groups were “tied together” and there were no communication breakdowns.  Also when the offense tried to run no huddle the defense wasn’t confused (no 12 men on the field penalties).

Player Notes

– Excellent coverage by the big names in the secondary Jamal Adams, Trumaine Johnson (near INT), Darryl Roberts and Brian Poole.  Poole delivered a huge regular season hit to Jamison Crowder on one of the few completions.

– CJ Mosley and Avery Williamson locked down the middle.  Mosley had a couple of PBU’s in coverage and Williamson had a couple of TFL’s including one on LeVeon Bell. 

– Jordan Jenkins and Brandon Copeland had good days on the outside.  As they brought pressure and Copeland showed good coverage staying with Chris Herndon and breaking up a pass in the red zone.

– Bronson Kaufusi, Blake Cashman and Frankie Luvu showed up again today as they all had “sacks”.

– And for the first time Jachai Polite appeared as he finally got to the QB for a “sack”.

– Steve McLendon and Nathan Shepherd were stout in the middle as both generated multiple TFL’s.

– Leonard Williams and Henry Anderson generated pressure and had “sacks”.

– Justin Alexandre (DE/OLB) also had a couple of “sacks” in his reps.     

QB Notes

– It was a tough day at the office for Sam Darnold as completions were hard to come by.  Also for the first time he had delay of game penalties as the play clock ran out as he tried to figure out what the defense was doing.  The best thing about Darnold’s day was he didn’t turn the ball over.

Standouts

– The entire defensive side of the team.

Concerns 

– Interesting practice tomorrow to see how the offense bounces back.

You can read more Jets practice notes in our forums. Here is the speech that Gregg Williams gave to the fans today.

Gregg Williams addresses the fans pic.twitter.com/ddzJ5iB4LX

— Brian Costello (@BrianCoz) July 28, 2019

The post Jets Practice Notes 07/28/19; Qvale Injured, Defense Shines appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
XKMfCkyqH2M

Click here to read the full story...

20 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Thanks Man. Always appreciate these little summations. It's really cool for us out-of-towners.

Looks like the O-line needs to get its sh*te together. I think we are going to be saying that a lot this Season.

ditto.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

I’m cool with it. Weird to say but I’ve been more worried about the defense this year. I’ll take it.,  let’s see what happens tomorrow. 

Cornerback aside, I am worried about covering RBs. I trust GW but we shall see. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

Thanks for the notes. How does QWill look?

He looks like trying to keep afloat. Didn’t do real well during one on ones with the OL. Harrison and someone else(can’t recall) pushed him around on the inside. Has the speed but I just think he’s trying to catch up to the mental side of things. 

Hes constantly being coached up or has a player in his ear. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Mosley's instincts to diagnose plays and take the right angles will allow us to avoid breakdowns in coverage, whether its TEs or RBs.  

The biggest thing for the defense is the communication.  He may be an abrasive guy, but Pepper Johnson understands football and for him to come out and say our defensive schemes weren't on the same page as far as matching the coverage to the rush makes a TON of sense looking back at Bowles tenure.  We let Blake Bortles complete 6 or 7 crossing patterns in a row without making a single adjustment - how is that possible?

Williams has a SB ring and knows what hes doing.  He isnt perfect, but neither is any coach, but he is light years ahead of Bowles/Roges.

Yeah I am hoping Mosley and that communication goes a long way. 

Pepper had some eye opening comments and hopefully the change in staff shows us the true potential of our players but I'm going back to the Rex Ryan days of those goddam RBs escaping to the outside and Demario Davis running his ass off to catch him, only to convert that third and short or whatever it was. I think one of the ways we will combat pass catching RBs is with Jamal Adams but either way, with Gregg Williams' experience I think we will have some answers (I hope). 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Mosley's instincts to diagnose plays and take the right angles will allow us to avoid breakdowns in coverage, whether its TEs or RBs.  

The biggest thing for the defense is the communication.  He may be an abrasive guy, but Pepper Johnson understands football and for him to come out and say our defensive schemes weren't on the same page as far as matching the coverage to the rush makes a TON of sense looking back at Bowles tenure.  We let Blake Bortles complete 6 or 7 crossing patterns in a row without making a single adjustment - how is that possible?

Williams has a SB ring and knows what hes doing.  He isnt perfect, but neither is any coach, but he is light years ahead of Bowles/Roges.

'ahead of Bowles/Rogers' is a very large set of people.  Some notable examples:

Image result for bad news bears walter

Image result for eddie movie

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

He looks like trying to keep afloat. Didn’t do real well during one on ones with the OL. Harrison and someone else(can’t recall) pushed him around on the inside. Has the speed but I just think he’s trying to catch up to the mental side of things. 

Hes constantly being coached up or has a player in his ear. 

Thanks. Nate Shephard getting reps at all? Bust?

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Nice to hear Henry Anderson and Jachai Polite’s names mentioned. Pass rush. Pass rush. Pass rush.

The Cashman kid really seems to be doing well. Was it @Hawkeye Jet who was so high on him early this offseason?

Also another day of Bronson Kaufusi and Frankie Luvu getting noticed for both their play and their motors.

• Upvote 2