Cannizzaro: Scary coaching duo could change Jets in so many ways

Still don't get how because they're both type A personalities and demanding type coaches what makes that translate into a combustible combo platter that can go boom?  It gets said and no one says why.  Sounds like lazy reporting to me. If they're good at their jobs theyll want both units to thrive, not want to butt heads with each other for no apparent reason.  

And to kill their coaching futures 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Still don't get how because they're both type A personalities and demanding type coaches what makes that translate into a combustible combo platter that can go boom?  It gets said and no one says why.  Sounds like lazy reporting to me. If they're good at their jobs theyll want both units to thrive, not want to butt heads with each other for no apparent reason.  

And to kill their coaching futures 

Because if they ever butt heads it could only escalate, as both are as stubborn as you can get.  Sort of like Buddy Ryan in Philadelphia. 

Hell, Gase used that stubborness to just oust the GM.  Think he would hesitate to do that to Gregg Williams if push comes to shove?  Not saying it WILL happen.  They could get along swimmingly, and work together for years.  But two personalities like that rarely work in harmony. 

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because if they ever butt heads it could only escalate, as both are as stubborn as you can get.  Sort of like Buddy Ryan in Philadelphia. 

Hell, Gase used that stubborness to just oust the GM.  Think he would hesitate to do that to Gregg Williams if push comes to shove?  Not saying it WILL happen.  They could get along swimmingly, and work together for years.  But two personalities like that rarely work in harmony. 

Well, the two cucks we had last year didn't work.  Time for two tops.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, Fantasy Island said:

Well, the two cucks we had last year didn't work.  Time for two tops.

Yep.  Totally down for this.  Gase rid us of Macc so he has a long leash with me at the moment.  Gregg Williams has hopped around to a lot of teams so I'm cool with him being here about 2 seasons then Gase hiring his own guy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Why would they or should they butt heads?  Anymore than any coord. With a HC? 
They don't ever have to butt heads.  That's my question.  The idea that two type A personalities rarely work in harmony doesn't really make sense to me.  How many coaches on this level aren't?

Have no idea what reason Macc is gone.  For one Macc doesn't seem the type A personality type.  At all.  and who knows Gase got him out or that they butt heads

IMO, way overstated. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Why would they or should they butt heads?  Anymore than any coord. With a HC? 

Because whether he says it or not, I imagine Gregg Williams still has aspirations to be a HC again.  Ambition can always ruffle feathers.  Also, if the offense starts playing poorly, Williams might lay into Gase for putting too much pressure on his defense.  Stuff like that happens.  Not often, but it happens.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because whether he says it or not, I imagine Gregg Williams still has aspirations to be a HC again.  Ambition can always ruffle feathers.  Also, if the offense starts playing poorly, Williams might lay into Gase for putting too much pressure on his defense.  Stuff like that happens.  Not often, but it happens.

I could say every coord. with HC asperations will butt heads with HC?

Again I get the theoretical reasoning just trying to see why these two are more apt to blow up compared to any other combo.

Finally don't have a first year defensive minded head coach, and now finally have a veteran, well-respected defense coordinator (á la Wade Phillips).  I don't want to break the no cursing policy here but F----------k yeah! 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

"You see that....you WANT to be the guy getting yelled at and you know why?  It means the coach still believes in you, he sees the potential, he's just trying to get it out of you.  And you see the other kids smoking and joking....they're standing around and kinda grinning because they're not get yelled it?  Well, they don't realize it but they're the ones in trouble, they don't realize that the coach has kind of given up on them.  When coaches stop riding you, stop yelling at you, etc. that's when you worry....they think you're a lost cause."  This stuck with me for life. 

Reminds me of the stories about Casey Stengel.  He would lay into Mickey Mantle more than anybody.  Mickey knew the drill and knew it wasn't personal.  And it served to get a lot of the other players in line.  The idea was for the lesser players to think "Well jeez, if he's going that hard after Mickey frickin' Mantle, what is he gonna say to me?  I'd better work harder than anybody."

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

I would hope that everyone here stops and reads this....twice.  It's an extremely valuable life lesson be it as a football player, a student, an employee, a husband, a coach or whatever role(s) you occupy in your life.  It took me years to really understand this approach particularly when I was in high school.  If you have a good coach, boss, etc. and they're riding you hard (but respectfully), if they're criticizing your faults and correcting you loudly or even in your face (but respectfully)...it's happening because they believe in you.  They believe you can get better, they believe you can actually do the things and accomplish the goals they have for you.

One of my favorite coaches and human beings of all time was my track & field coach in HS.  I was shooting the sh*t with him one day during practice as a senior.  I knew his routine by then and all of his assistant coaches coached similarly to him (think Gregg Williams style).  He pointed out one of the other coaches who was working with the sprinters on the other side of the track.  This assistant was really laying into someone about the form he was using when he ran the turn in the 200 meters.  The thing was that there were other sprinters whose form was even worse in that group but who weren't getting coached as hard as this one kid.  The head coach I was standing with told me (paraphrasing), "You see that....you WANT to be the guy getting yelled at and you know why?  It means the coach still believes in you, he sees the potential, he's just trying to get it out of you.  And you see the other kids smoking and joking....they're standing around and kinda grinning because they're not get yelled it?  Well, they don't realize it but they're the ones in trouble, they don't realize that the coach has kind of given up on them.  When coaches stop riding you, stop yelling at you, etc. that's when you worry....they think you're a lost cause."  This stuck with me for life.

I never thought of this in this manner.

It puts the yelling my coach did at me when we were competing for a New York City Championship in Basketball in an entirely different perspective.  I wish I had been wise enough to see it then!!

Thanks! :) 

And thanks to my late and now deceased HC Nick "Buff" Maglio who told others after I left High School, I was the best point guard he ever had and I never understood how that was EVER possible until today!

RIP Coach.. I owe you.....

So thanks again!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But "ruffling feathers" , I would think, would lead to a "he can't get along with others" perception and hurt Williams chances as a HC. Can't see him letting this happen.

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

that's why hiring joe douglas makes a ton of sense.  the jets now have a gm who will do more than hold a coffee cup and make no brainer first round draft picks.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Drums said:

Yeah, always is this time of year-- but something feels different this time. 

It's different because not one of these guys are here without Sam Darnold. Gase doesn't take this job without Sam, Williams would be somewhere else & Joe Douglas doesn't even take Chris Johnsons call. 

Sam Darnold is a guy you create in a lab to lead your team. Young, confident, great size, great arm, accurate, smart, modest, leads by example, fun, funny, self deprecating, respectful of everyone, listens, studies, strives to win, doesn't get in trouble, cares about his team & his teammates.

Everyone of these guys are here because they want to hitch their wagon to this horse. Now with the experience & stability these guys bring to the Jets organization, this WILL BE a free agent destination. When guys move around& have choices, we've seen guys choose other places over us & not necessarily for money but because they want a chance to win. When you sign with a team that has Fitz or McCown as your starter, you say all the right things but deep down you know damn well you ain't got NO CHANCE of being a champion. With Sam, it is a future possibility. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

It's different because not one of these guys are here without Sam Darnold. Gase doesn't take this job without Sam, Williams would be somewhere else & Joe Douglas doesn't even take Chris Johnsons call. 

Sam Darnold is a guy you create in a lab to lead your team. Young, confident, great size, great arm, accurate, smart, modest, leads by example, fun, funny, self deprecating, respectful of everyone, listens, studies, strives to win, doesn't get in trouble, cares about his team & his teammates.

Everyone of these guys are here because they want to hitch their wagon to this horse. Now with the experience & stability these guys bring to the Jets organization, this WILL BE a free agent destination. When guys move around& have choices, we've seen guys choose other places over us & not necessarily for money but because they want a chance to win. When you sign with a team that has Fitz or McCown as your starter, you say all the right things but deep down you know damn well you ain't got NO CHANCE of being a champion. With Sam, it is a future possibility. 

Yup, I wrote "and it's because of Sam Darnold" at the end of my post but ended up deleting that part before posting. It's definitely because of him. 

I'll start thinking they're scary when I see them start to win games....Or better yet start going tit for tat with Bill Bellichick and actually WINNING. Right now they are nothing more than another couple coaching retreads that have fallen flat on their faces against Bellichick.

6 hours ago, Jetster said:

Look, I know you’re excited about Darnold and this season, and that’s great. But every once in a while you really jump the shark.

“Nobody is here without Darnold?” LMAO GTFO

Nobody was giving Gase another HC job this year, in fact it was rumored even we only wanted him as an OC. Whether that was true or not, there weren’t any teams looking to give him their OC job either, so let’s stop the BS that he wasn’t coming here if we didn’t have Darnold. He’d be here if Bryce Petty was the QB. And he’d be thankful that he was hired.

The rest of the CS isn’t here because “they hitched their wagon to this horse”, isn’t close to being true either. That’s the type of stuff you like to throw out there like it’s a thing, but it’s not.

Theyre here for the same reasons every other coach is where they are. They needed a job. They were lucky to know someone/get one. Connections they had with the HC in prior spots, or because of the GMs or Coordinators faith in them. 

Nobody came here because of Sam. They came here because they could get paid.