Cannizzaro: Scary coaching duo could change Jets in so many ways

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Nobody came here because of Sam. They came here because they could get paid.

I think Joe Douglas came here because of Gase and Darnold.  If only 1 or neither of those 2 were here I highly doubt he's the Jets GM.  Remember, GM isn't like HC.  You really have to pick and choose the job you take.  If you fail as a GM, its much harder to get a 2nd GM job than to get a 2nd HC job. 

Douglas wasn't in demand yet, true, but he wasn't far off from it.  Working under Ozzie Newsome for so long and then being one of the highest-ranking guys for a successful Philly org was going to give him opportunities down the road.  Gase & Darnold were the 2 biggest selling points.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Look, I know you’re excited about Darnold and this season, and that’s great. But every once in a while you really jump the shark.

“Nobody is here without Darnold?” LMAO GTFO

Nobody was giving Gase another HC job this year, in fact it was rumored even we only wanted him as an OC. Whether that was true or not, there weren’t any teams looking to give him their OC job either, so let’s stop the BS that he wasn’t coming here if we didn’t have Darnold. He’d be here if Bryce Petty was the QB. And he’d be thankful that he was hired.

The rest of the CS isn’t here because “they hitched their wagon to this horse”, isn’t close to being true either. That’s the type of stuff you like to throw out there like it’s a thing, but it’s not.

Theyre here for the same reasons every other coach is where they are. They needed a job. They were lucky to know someone/get one. Connections they had with the HC in prior spots, or because of the GMs or Coordinators faith in them. 

Nobody came here because of Sam. They came here because they could get paid.

I know you can’t wait to disagree with me on here but you’re completely off base if you think that Darnold wasn’t the draw for these guys. 

Sam is the magnet. He was flying from the seat of his pants last year with a terrible OC, one 170 Lb WR, a rookie TE, a Rookie RB, a rookie slot WR, rotating Centers & missing 3 o lineman that started the season & had the best QBR in the league the last 1/4 of the season. He’s now got an  experienced Offensive HC & Mentor, a top 3 RB, Quincy back, Crowder, TY, a new Oline coach, yes, your damn right I’m excited about Sam Darnold, so is Gase & Douglas! 

29 minutes ago, Jetster said:

I know you can’t wait to disagree with me on here but you’re completely off base if you think that Darnold wasn’t the draw for these guys. 

Sam is the magnet. He was flying from the seat of his pants last year with a terrible OC, one 170 Lb WR, a rookie TE, a Rookie RB, a rookie slot WR, rotating Centers & missing 3 o lineman that started the season & had the best QBR in the league the last 1/4 of the season. He’s now got an  experienced Offensive HC & Mentor, a top 3 RB, Quincy back, Crowder, TY, a new Oline coach, yes, your damn right I’m excited about Sam Darnold, so is Gase & Douglas! 

I'm excited about Sam too and I think that applies to the heads of our team right now. All the way to CJ.  I also think @14 in Green is right where he says that Gase didn't need Darnold to come here. Its kinda both. Case would have been our OC if Rhule took the job. I saw that written in numerous places. Gregg would also more than likely still be here. The reason being no one else was offering them jobs.  Williams had the Skins on the table but already had a negative experience with Snyder. 

Now Douglas on the other hand would not be here without Case. That is a fact. I also don't think Gase alone was enough and that is where a guy like Sam comes in. Looking at his good buddy as the HC and Sam Darnold at the helm of the team made this a very attractive landing spot when added to the $3.3 per for 6 yrs.  Douglas knows that if he can just protect and support this extremely young QB, the hard part is done.  And he will be a hero for the 15-20 years Sam is here. 

But let's be clear. With all due respect to Gase and Williams, their options were limited and would have taken the job any how. Especially Gase. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

I'm excited about Sam too and I think that applies to the heads of our team right now. All the way to CJ.  I also think @14 in Green is right where he says that Gase didn't need Darnold to come here. Its kinda both. Case would have been our OC if Rhule took the job. I saw that written in numerous places. Gregg would also more than likely still be here. The reason being no one else was offering them jobs.  Williams had the Skins on the table but already had a negative experience with Snyder. 

Now Douglas on the other hand would not be here without Case. That is a fact. I also don't think Gase alone was enough and that is where a guy like Sam comes in. Looking at his good buddy as the HC and Sam Darnold at the helm of the team made this a very attractive landing spot when added to the $3.3 per for 6 yrs.  Douglas knows that if he can just protect and support this extremely young QB, the hard part is done.  And he will be a hero for the 15-20 years Sam is here. 

But let's be clear. With all due respect to Gase and Williams, their options were limited and would have taken the job any how. Especially Gase. 

Sorry, I just don’t agree. He failed in Miami because of the QB & his constant injuries, coming to NY Jets without a QB in place could ruin his coaching CAREER playing the Pats with Brady & Belichick. I think McCarthy secretly wanted this job but wanted too much power & Chris Johnson wasn’t going in that direction. 

This is a QB ruled league & no one knows that more than Jet fans. Jets have had to deal with Jim Kelly, Dan Marino & now Tom Brady since 2001. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

Sorry, I just don’t agree. He failed in Miami because of the QB & his constant injuries, coming to NY Jets without a QB in place could ruin his coaching CAREER playing the Pats with Brady & Belichick. I think McCarthy secretly wanted this job but wanted too much power & Chris Johnson wasn’t going in that direction. 

This is a QB ruled league & no one knows that more than Jet fans. Jets have had to deal with Jim Kelly, Dan Marino & now Tom Brady since 2001. 

I don't think he failed in Miami, he made the playoffs with Ryan Tannehill and Matt Moore at QB.  Miami's just second playoff app since 2002 and the only one with a healthy Brady since 2002.

Gase overachieved each season in Miami

7 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

Gase also interviewed with the Cardinals for their head coaching vacancy. I don't know if Gase would've been offered that job or if they were always all in with Kingsbury, though. 

I think without Darnold, if this team had Siemian at QB and were looking to draft one this year, say, Adam Gase could easily have taken an OC job somewhere more stable and reset his career rather than take that gamble with the Jets. It's not an overstatement, IMHO, to say that Darnold is the draw here. That Gase took the job because he believed that Sam was a legitimate franchise QB, and Joe Douglas followed because he believes in Gase and Darnold, and knows that the FQB is the critical piece and having that already in place would make his job that much easier - and potentially more successful. 

I know some people don't love Gase, but when you look at who else the Jets interviewed, and who else got hired this year, I still think they made a good hire. It's not like they backed into the only guy who would take a Job with the Jets, like the Idzik and Maccagnan hires, for example. 

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, nycdan said:

I have to think that a guy like Jamal Adams has to be so freaking happy to see the culture change this way.  At times it felt like he was the only guy out there who cared.  

I feel like you can tell that in some of Adam's comments.  I know people here whine about Adam's talk, but the guy is all about winning, and backs it up 110%.  Hes a true leader and wants to bring as many guys up to his level as possible - why is that bad again?

6 minutes ago, slats said:

Gase also interviewed with the Cardinals for their head coaching vacancy. I don't know if Gase would've been offered that job or if they were always all in with Kingsbury, though. 

I think without Darnold, if this team had Siemian at QB and were looking to draft one this year, say, Adam Gase could easily have taken an OC job somewhere more stable and reset his career rather than take that gamble with the Jets. It's not an overstatement, IMHO, to say that Darnold is the draw here. That Gase took the job because he believed that Sam was a legitimate franchise QB, and Joe Douglas followed because he believes in Gase and Darnold, and knows that the FQB is the critical piece and having that already in place would make his job that much easier - and potentially more successful. 

I know some people don't love Gase, but when you look at who else the Jets interviewed, and who else got hired this year, I still think they made a good hire. It's not like they backed into the only guy who would take a Job with the Jets, like the Idzik and Maccagnan hires, for example. 

I am all warmed up to Gase these days and have zero interest in trying to paint a negative picture of him anymore. Its been a whirlwind offseason and the idea of him sticking around as the GM had me worried, but that's all in the past and I am fully convinced that Case pulling together the Douglas coup is in our best interest overall.  So I'm happy he's here. 

I also don't have any interest in revisionist history just because I'm supporting him and am now on Team Case 100%. It's fine that it went down the way it did, but let's not try to change the facts.  KK was Arizona's 2nd choice after they offered McCarthy the farm to come to them sight unseen.  Interview not necessary. They basically offered KK the job before his flight to Arizona as well.  Gase interviewed there and they moved on. There was also interest from the Browns and they were the first team to get the big call from Peyton Manning. It just had less of an effect on Dorsey than it did on CJ.  They never interviewed him for the job. 

We were hiring Matt Rhule. That much is not up for debate. He was our first choice and there was even reporting that the Jets called KK again after the Rhule stuff began to break down. He was already accepting the Arizona job so that ship had sailed. Gase was our third choice after McCarthy blew the interview which would have made Gase our 4th choice.  Again, that's fine and I'm happy he's here but that's the way it happened. 

I suppose there may have been more OC jobs out there for him, but I don't know how that shakes out.  The truth is that the Jets were the only spot actually offering the HC job. I will say that Darnold being here may have tipped the scales toward him taking the HC job over an OC job somewhere, but we don't know if that is the case or not.  What we do know is that the only real HC opportunity for Gase this season was the Jets.  That allure in and of itself is pretty stout. 

I want to add that I am not belittling the attraction of Darnold being here and I subscribe to the idea that Darnold will make the Jets a much more attractive landing spot for FA's moving forward. I'm not debating that one bit. All I'm saying is that Gase would more than likely been our OC anyway should Matt Rhule have taken the job. Williams too.  With or without Darnold considering the specifics of this last particular offseason.  It's all nice to think that Darnold passively created this entire situation we now have, but it's not really what happened. 

3 minutes ago, GREENBEAN said:

We were hiring Matt Rhule. That much is not up for debate. He was our first choice and there was even reporting that the Jets called KK again after the Rhule stuff began to break down. He was already accepting the Arizona job so that ship had sailed. Gase was our third choice after McCarthy blew the interview which would have made Gase our 4th choice.  Again, that's fine and I'm happy he's here but that's the way it happened. 

I agree on Rhule, but not much else. I don't think the Jets were ever more interested in McCarthy than McCarthy was interested in them, and I think they only really liked Kingsbury (as well as Monken) as potential coordinators. I think they preferred Gase to them as coordinators, too, because of his NFL head coaching experience. Rhule broke down specifically because he wouldn't let Maccagnan hire his coordinators. After that, I think Gase was their next choice. 

And yeah, I'm definitely speculating about Gase taking an OC job over a Darnold-less Jets head coaching job, but I don't think I'm wildly speculating. Without Darnold, this job wouldn't've been attractive at all. Instead of begging for the job, McCarthy wouldn't've returned their phone calls. 

• Sympathy 1

23 minutes ago, BCJet said:

I feel like you can tell that in some of Adam's comments.  I know people here whine about Adam's talk, but the guy is all about winning, and backs it up 110%.  Hes a true leader and wants to bring as many guys up to his level as possible - why is that bad again?

It's called 'battered fan' syndrome, I think.

2 hours ago, Jetster said:

It’s not me disagreeing.Its you making stuff up. 

Darnold wasn’t the draw for Gase and the CS. The paycheck was. Sure Gase was happy he got a job where Darnold is the QB. But that isn’t the reason why he came. He came to the only team that was offering him a job. 

You can “happy talk” all you want about Darnold, I think it’s great you’re so optimistic about him and the Jets. Just don’t expect people to not question stuff you write that you claim is real but is really just fiction.

18 hours ago, Jetster said:

It's different because not one of these guys are here without Sam Darnold. Gase doesn't take this job without Sam, Williams would be somewhere else & Joe Douglas doesn't even take Chris Johnsons call. 

Sam Darnold is a guy you create in a lab to lead your team. Young, confident, great size, great arm, accurate, smart, modest, leads by example, fun, funny, self deprecating, respectful of everyone, listens, studies, strives to win, doesn't get in trouble, cares about his team & his teammates.

Everyone of these guys are here because they want to hitch their wagon to this horse. Now with the experience & stability these guys bring to the Jets organization, this WILL BE a free agent destination. When guys move around& have choices, we've seen guys choose other places over us & not necessarily for money but because they want a chance to win. When you sign with a team that has Fitz or McCown as your starter, you say all the right things but deep down you know damn well you ain't got NO CHANCE of being a champion. With Sam, it is a future possibility. 

There will be three portraits in living rooms of little old ladies throughout the five boroughs! Jesus, Jack Kennedy, and Sam. ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

It’s not me disagreeing.Its you making stuff up.  

Darnold wasn’t the draw for Gase and the CS. The paycheck was. Sure Gase was happy he got a job where Darnold is the QB. But that isn’t the reason why he came. He came to the only team that was offering him a job. 

You can “happy talk” all you want about Darnold, I think it’s great you’re so optimistic about him and the Jets. Just don’t expect people to not question stuff you write that you claim is real but is really just fiction. 

But it was for Joe Douglas (along with Gase being here).  You have yet to address that point....

37 minutes ago, freestater said:

There will be three portraits in living rooms of little old ladies throughout the five boroughs! Jesus, Jack Kennedy, and Sam. ?

My Nana had JFK sitting in the rocking chair statue, remember that one?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But it was for Joe Douglas (along with Gase being here).  You have yet to address that point....

I agreed with you there, 80. That’s why I gave you the positive react to the post where you brought it up.

Douglas was a different situation though, if you think about it. Unlike Gase(who nobody was after) he was going to be a highly sought after GM candidate after this season, and thanks to a unique set of circumstances (firing Macc after the draft) we were able to negotiate his deal in a vacuum.

He had a prior bond with Gase, who pushed hard for him, and he also had us over a bit of a barrel as him being able to hold out for a 6year 18 mil deal shows. No doubt Darnold being here was a plus in his eyes, why wouldn’t it be?

He has a highly touted 2nd year QB, who if he succeeds, will help make his job a lot easier. If for some unknown reason Darnold doesn’t succeed, Douglas wasn’t the guy who drafted him, so he gets a pass.

When you think about it, Douglas came here because the job had a few real upsides. Darnold, familiarity with the HC, a nice contract, and a free ride with a highly rated young QB. What’s not to like here for him?

On 7/30/2019 at 8:28 AM, slats said:

I agree on Rhule, but not much else. I don't think the Jets were ever more interested in McCarthy than McCarthy was interested in them, and I think they only really liked Kingsbury (as well as Monken) as potential coordinators. I think they preferred Gase to them as coordinators, too, because of his NFL head coaching experience. Rhule broke down specifically because he wouldn't let Maccagnan hire his coordinators. After that, I think Gase was their next choice. 

And yeah, I'm definitely speculating about Gase taking an OC job over a Darnold-less Jets head coaching job, but I don't think I'm wildly speculating. Without Darnold, this job wouldn't've been attractive at all. Instead of begging for the job, McCarthy wouldn't've returned their phone calls. 

lol.  Fair point about McCarthy, but it was also stated in a few articles that the thought was that Macc's first choice was McCarthy and he blew the interview.  I also think McCarthy would have taken the job. Two factors are the pride piece and the 3rd pick. If we didn't have Darnold you can bet that the 3rd pick would have been used for  a QB like Haskins.  Maybe not quite as attractive as Sam but a young QB to mold is a young QB to mold. 

And you are right about the Rule situation but the coordinators were reported to be Gase and Williams. They were both ready to sign on to be coordinators. We chose Gase after the Rhule talks broke down and KK was in Arizona. 

To be clear I'm not saying Sam doesn't have his allure.  But there is a lot of overlooking of many of the specifics to make that story hold water where these coaches are concerned. The Sam effect will only increase should he continue forward like we're hoping he will.  But last year was very specific. Sam being here may have helped but  WE would still have Gase most likely if he didn't get the HC position. 

Anyhoo... I'm happy with Gase at the moment and believe strongly that he is responsible for the overhaul in the GM and personnel dept. That will more than likely be a major coup for us and could mean the changing of the losing culture here. I don't care how it happened in hindsight. I'm just happy with the results.  For now.