Crowder MRI - Foot Injury - Cleared! will practice Wed.

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Am I the only one who remembers the Jets drafting Joe McKnight (former USC WR who played with Sanchez) amd signing Patrick Turner (former USC WR who played with Sanchez).  How great were those two guys after having "history" with our QB and making plays in real college games?

An undrafted guy already cast away by one team and signed to provide a familiar face to a young QB in camp.  

Playing with a QB in college rarely results in being a great WR with that same QB in the pro game.  And if Burnett's experience with Darnold made him a great prospect, he would have been drafted by someone, or even kept by the Titans who aren't exactly swimming in All-Pro WR's.  

Burnett is a Jet (for now), and has a shot, and we all wish him luck.  No one will complain if he's great or even good at the pro level, the odds simply don't support that he will be. 

I would prefer him as a depth/special-team guy, because Crowder is not a question mark, and doesn't need college experience with Darnold to be effective, he IS effective, and is a proven and capable veteran.  

uh...Sanchez?

59 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Am I the only one who remembers the Jets drafting Joe McKnight (former USC WR who played with Sanchez) amd signing Patrick Turner (former USC WR who played with Sanchez).  How great were those two guys after having "history" with our QB and making plays in real college games?

An undrafted guy already cast away by one team and signed to provide a familiar face to a young QB in camp.  

Playing with a QB in college rarely results in being a great WR with that same QB in the pro game.  And if Burnett's experience with Darnold made him a great prospect, he would have been drafted by someone, or even kept by the Titans who aren't exactly swimming in All-Pro WR's.  

Burnett is a Jet (for now), and has a shot, and we all wish him luck.  No one will complain if he's great or even good at the pro level, the odds simply don't support that he will be. 

I would prefer him as a depth/special-team guy, because Crowder is not a question mark, and doesn't need college experience with Darnold to be effective, he IS effective, and is a proven and capable veteran.  

Patrick Turner had 49 catches as a senior.  Burnett had a ridiculous senior season 86-1100 13tds and went undrafted simply due to poor testing, which is far from the most important thing when looking at a WR.

We are also talking about a guy who we all want to be our 4th WR, not our #1.  I dont think anyone is overrating Burnett or expecting him to be an all-pro.  But he has shown pretty well so far and seems good enough to stay in the NFL for a while.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, JiF said:

Of course I'd rather have Crowder but that's the only important thing in my post if you're not concerned with accuracy of your post and how you totally miscategorized the kids career.  It's almost like you didnt know he played for the Jets last year.  You called him a "camp body", a "woobie" for Sam and a "long shot" - which is completely inaccurate.  He led the team in receiving twice last year during the regular season; once vs. the Bears (best D in the league), once vs. the Patriots (Super Bowl Champions).  

To answer your question; I doubt he beats anyone but crazier things have happened.  Is he better than Anderson today? No.  But Anderson was once a UDFA who needed an injury to Eric Decker to get a chance.  And now look at him.  Quincy Enunwa?  No but he didnt catch a single pass his rookie season.   Caught 22 passes his 2nd year.   It wasnt till year 3 that the 7th round pick showed any potential.  Last year the Jets had Jermaine Kearse.   Kearse had 3 receptions his rookie season.  22 his 2nd season.  

So I dont know, maybe he can.  It's not like any of them ware world beaters and he's on a better projection than Quincy and Kearse....and many other WR's in the league. 

I don't care where he was drafted or if he was a free agent. All I know is the dude caught EVERYTHING thrown at him last season, and I hope like hell he makes the team. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Patrick Turner had 49 catches as a senior.  Burnett had a ridiculous senior season 86-1100 13tds and went undrafted simply due to poor testing, which is far from the most important thing when looking at a WR.

We are also talking about a guy who we all want to be our 4th WR, not our #1.  I dont think anyone is overrating Burnett or expecting him to be an all-pro.  But he has shown pretty well so far and seems good enough to stay in the NFL for a while.

Dudes who didn’t watch Darnold at USC didn’t see Burnett making every catch that year.  

He can play. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2