Most Pleasant Surprise After 1 Week of Jets Camp

After 1 Week of Jets Training Camp..........  

83 members have voted

1. 1. The Most Pleasant Surprise has been:

• RB Ty Montgomery
    • RB Trenton Cannon
    • WR Deontay Burnett
    • WR Greg Dortch
    • CB Trumaine Johnson
    • CB Brian Poole
    • CB Derrick Jones
    • CB Darryl Robers
    • DL Bronson Kaufusi
    • DL Nathan Shepherd
    • LB Neville Hewitt
    • LB Blake Cashman
    • LB Harvey Langi
    • Someone Else

Cashman was one of those guys that graded out really well by PFF and had a great combine so the question was whether that would  translate to NFL production. The reports seem to indicate that what he did as a senior and his combine numbers were no fluke. 

Also very happy to see Montgomery produce but I am not shocked that a vet like him is doing well. 

• Upvote 3

Cashman and Poole were two names we seemed to hear a lot.

its hard to really say though. The guys who did all that work for us in the camp threads did a great job, but it’s hard to form an opinion without seeing anything more then a few clips with our own eyes.

The preseason games will tell us what we need/want to know.

This Dortch kid seems to be someone a lot of you are pulling for. I don’t know anything about him, but I fell for the quick little guy thing last year with Cannon. I’ll hold off on him for now, and just hope you’re onto something  with him.

• Upvote 3

I’m going someone else. 

And not that it’s necessarily “surprising” but Sam’s command of the offense, his continued accuracy, the obvious leadership and maturity that he’s showing is just so different than we’ve seen for decades, I’m just really really confident in this team. 

Gase is number 2. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, docdhc said:

Most pleasant surprise is Crowder’s left foot healing after one day!

This.

Also, are people being impressed with what they themselves have seen, or what they're hearing about from KRL and mediaheads and seeing in those super short vids on twitter?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

Also, are people being impressed with what they themselves have seen, or what they're hearing about from KRL and mediaheads and seeing in those super short vids on twitter?

I’ve been impressed by the highlights. I know it doesn’t mean much until we see it in games but it’s all we got for now and I’m excited. I’ve spent the last three years worrying about draft position. I’m psyched to root for wins again!

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, docdhc said:

I’ve been impressed by the highlights. I know it doesn’t mean much until we see it in games but it’s all we got for now and I’m excited. I’ve spent the last three years worrying about draft position. I’m psyched to root for wins again!

Yup, no worries, was just curious.  Like you, I'm excited about this forthcoming season. 

I guess I just don't get excited or hyped about specific players overly much in the first weeks of camp vs. seeing them for myself in real preseason play game environments.

Cashman

I thought he could be a solid contributor on ST early on, but I sure as hell wasn’t expecting him to get a bunch of reps with the starters in camp. Especially with Mosley and Williamson on the roster.

And it seems like Gregg Williams has been shuffling him around all over the LB corps.

If he continues to improve, he could possibly make Williamson expendable after this season, especially with the sh*tload of money we currently have invested in the ILB position.

40 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Going strictly off that list? 

Ty Montgomery. 

I was HOPING for big things and now I’m kind of expecting them. 

2 RB sets with Ty and Bell out of the backfield is going to be very very difficult to consistently defend 

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Going strictly off that list? 

Ty Montgomery. 

I was HOPING for big things and now I’m kind of expecting them. 

Without going the obvious answer of Darnold, I was going to go here because the reports of Ty have been great.  But, I expected Darnold to look good and that's a duh and I always expect the RB's to look good during practice.....so....

I went Roberts.  Sounds like he's had a very solid camp and if he turns out, that is really going to help this D because my runner up pick would be Poole.  Hearing about him laying wood, causing turnovers and just playing tight on WR's is very encouraging.  We're probably going to need one of if not 2 of Jones, Nickerson, Clark, Austin, Maulet, etc. to step it up a notch but it really gives us some cushion if Roberts and Poole are upgrades and Johnson returns to form under Williams. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

This.

Considering most of us don’t get the opportunity to go to training camp, we are somewhat reliant on these reports and the like. What other mechanisms might you be aware of to help someone like me evaluate otherwise? 

15 minutes ago, shevys said:

Considering most of us don’t get the opportunity to go to training camp, we are somewhat reliant on these reports and the like.

True enough.  

15 minutes ago, shevys said:

What other mechanisms might you be aware of to help someone like me evaluate otherwise? 

Can't think of anything.

For me it's just patience.  We'll all get to see them play for ourselves soon enough.

• Upvote 1

Sidebar point...

I don't see how anyone in their right mind couldn't be excited about this staff and direction when we had LITERALLY the worst coaching staff in the entire NFL for the last two years!!

I am not even saying Bowles. Put him aside..

I am saying NO ONE  in the entire NFL would have had Bates and Rogers as their lead Coordinators..

NO ONE!!!!

For this Alone Every Jets Fan Out here should Be ECSTATIC! 

So I say take those Bags off your head, break out your Jets Gear and Dream of a respectable team for a change...

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

Have to say, tho its still early, but I like what I have seen and heard from Gase.  I think a culture change is taking place, practices are run with more energy, efficiency, and enthusiasm , sloppiness and penalties are way down from the Bowles error, players are buying into the program.  Seems like steps in the right direction.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

This.

Since Im in Maine and cant get to see any live practices, I can only go by snippets of video and what the reports are saying. 

Its better stuff overall than last year, so Im good with that.

2 hours ago, Peace Frog said:

I’m going someone else. 

And not that it’s necessarily “surprising” but Sam’s command of the offense, his continued accuracy, the obvious leadership and maturity that he’s showing is just so different than we’ve seen for decades, I’m just really really confident in this team. 

Gase is number 2. 

+1

Me 2 pal

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Montgomery. He loves this offense too. Raves about Gase, he should get a lot of opportunities. 

Honestly Crowder too. Didn’t think he’d connect this well with a Darnold so fast. 

Good choice regarding Montgomery hough I never was surprised in fact I started a thread about his signing being underated based on me having him in fantasy football when Green Bay had all their RBs go down. With Bell here & the way Gase wants to get the ball to the RBs (trying to keep them from getting the ball with their backs to the defense & in ways that they can catch & run). Lev & TY could truly be the dynamic duo and literally be Sams code breakers to let him decifer defenses just by motioning one or the other out of the backfield. This could be really fun to watch.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Green Truth said:

What about Leo?  Any sightings so far in camp.  I have not seen much mention of him other that he will not be here next year.  Anyone who had eyes on the practices have anything on him?

Oh shoot. Forgot he was on the team. Let’s hope it’s one of those things where the limited contact doesn’t allow the DL to excel