Baltimore, Lamar Jackson, and the invention of a new offensive system

Interesting situation and a take by Jason Whitlock.  The key points...

1. The Ravens know that Lamar Jackson isn't a NFL level passer!

2. They don't care about #1 above.  When John Harbaugh was told of Cam Newton's single season record for rushes (139), Harbaugh said, "I'd take the over on that....for sure."

3. Brian Billick said Baltimore's offense, "will look like no NFL offense we've ever seen before."

4. Harbaugh says a new era of football is coming, like in 1980 when the 49ers with Walsh and Montana unveiled the West Coast Offense.

5. Whitlock says this illogical approach means Harbaugh doesn't believe in Lamar.

https://www.foxsports.com/watch/speak-for-yourself/video/1578729539709

587714081_ScreenShot2019-07-30at10_46_23PM.png.c7769ae9be5d0fd0fe2ff2dcd57880b8.png

So Inventive to run your QB 250 times a year. It’s definitely going to end well, and he’s going to be 100% healthy.

Obviously teams are not going to stack the box or anything. 

A new era of football, where this passing thing is a mere foil for the run game. What’s this 1935? -I’m getting my pop corn..

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

So Inventive to run your QB 250 times a year. It’s definitely going to end well, and he’s going to be 100% healthy.

A new era of football, where this passing thing is a mere foil for the run game. What’s this 1935? -I’m getting my pop corn..

Did anyone watch the BAL/LAC playoff game??  Once a team saw that offense a second

time it was embarrassing to watch Jackson TRY to play QB

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Maybe Todd Bowles was right and that the league is going to revert back to being a running league? 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, T0mShane said:

This story always ends up the same way:

“This is a new era of football where mobile QBs dominate and you small-minded losers are just going to have to...”

<“Mobile” QB shreds knee in Week Three, never to walk without a limp again>

“Whoops actually we’re trading two first round picks for Case Keenum.”

All true.  In fact, it's been scientifically proven that this plan is much more efficient if you bring Ryan Fitzgerald in as the backup before you implement it.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

Did anyone watch the BAL/LAC playoff game??  Once a team saw that offense a second

I was just about to type this.  it's happened before:  Miami with the whole wildcat thing, Philly with Vick.....they were "unstoppable" for a brief period, but then once someone figures it out, they are done.

11 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Didn't he say 'punting' league?

His exact quote was;

"In the next 5 years, we will witness the running game returning to forefront of the league.  Teams will looks to be run heavy and creating a new emphasis on how build a roster.  We were trying to get out infront of it in New York.  Soon, the most important position on the field will be your, Half Back, Full Back and Punter."

~ Todd Bowles 

• Haha 1

“This is going to change how football is played! (as QB throws the football end-over-end into the fifth row on third and twelve) actually we’re drafting this pasty QB in the second next May as “insurance” ha ha yes “insurance.” Nothing to see here, folks.”

• Haha 1

I mean, this is such a disservice to Lamar Jackson, who seems to be a nice kid. Harbaugh is basically putting the entire weight of the team on his shoulders. If (when) this fails, they’re not going to blame Harbaugh or the offensive coordinator, they’re going to blame Lamar on his way out the door for not being good enough to literally change how NFL offense is played. The right answer to this question is, “Lamar is good enough to do anything we need him to do to help us win games. We’re going to try and put him in the best position to succeed and I’m excited to watch him grow and progress.” Some sh*t like that. But to say he’s going to change the game? Hell, they could go one locker over and ask RGIII how easy that is to do.

• Upvote 4

Or Harbaugh is full of shlt leaving opponents guessing at this point.

i would think they would want Jeckson to back off of his rushing totals of a year ago.  Think he averaged 17 per game, that's RB territory, he'll never survive.  He was injured last year running, how's that going to work out over a full season, with an increased workload and with teams preparing for the his running? 

• Upvote 1

Jackson will be effective even if he's a poor passer as long as those legs hold up.

However if the Ravens give him the carries typical of a RB, they will eventually kill him. It's simply too much of a workload for a QB if he ever wants longevity, and of course he is quite small and skinny. 

If Baltimore pursues this path, he will only last a few years even if the system is wildly successful in that span.

If you can guarantee that the QB will run out of bounds untouched OR will slide without illegal late contact happening, sure, the system works.  But you can't. 

QB's have never been more protected in this league.....but only in the pocket.  The minute you escape the pocket and/or cross the LOS as a runner, you're treated just like everybody else (unless you slide).

8 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

1. The Ravens know that Lamar Jackson isn't a NFL level passer

2. They don't care.  When John Harbaugh was told of Cam Newton's single season record for rushes (139), Harbaugh said, "I'd take the over on that....for sure."

3. Brian Billick said Baltimore's offense, "will look like no NFL offense we've ever seen before."

4. Harbaugh says a new era of football is coming, like in 1980 when the 49ers with Walsh and Montana unveiled the West Coast Offense.

5. Whitlock says this illogical approach means Harbaugh doesn't believe in Lamar.

587714081_ScreenShot2019-07-30at10_46_23PM.png.c7769ae9be5d0fd0fe2ff2dcd57880b8.png

no way wtf GIF by EA SPORTS FIFA

I think it's much more likely they have a bottom third of the league offense than some revolutionary offense rivaling the Walsh/Montana Niners. Jokers. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

1. The Ravens know that Lamar Jackson isn't a NFL level passer

2. They don't care.  When John Harbaugh was told of Cam Newton's single season record for rushes (139), Harbaugh said, "I'd take the over on that....for sure."

so is Lamar's backup a Lamar clone?  For that inevitable moment that Lamar goes off on a cart?

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Totally agree, it wasn't a good day for him at all.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, KRL said:

Are you talking about the first half, or the second when Jackson looked like he was in a video game and almost pulled off a comeback? If nothing else this is going to be fun to watch.

Its silly to base your judgement on one game irregardless, not to mention the fact I have more faith in Harbaugh and his coaches then most people here when it comes to judging talent.

I think Id rather have Bell running the ball 250 times over a QB and the QB still has to play quarterback. Imagine Jackson late in the 3rd qtr close game and he still is in there playing QB after 25 runs. How effective could he be as a passer after running the ball 25 times in a game? Not very. Let him run. Run run run. He will run that team right into the ground. Not his fault though.

I do think there's room for an NFL team to go all-in on a power offense, similar to the Joe Gibbs' Redskins. If you could come up with a rotation at QB (eg Lamar Jackson QB1, Tim Tebow QB2) to hedge your injury risk, and build a stout defense and a mammoth offensive line, I could see it working.

Defenses today are small and fast and built to stop the pass. Being contrarian might not be the worst idea in the world.

3 hours ago, JiF said:

Maybe Todd Bowles was right and that the league is going to revert back to being a running league? 

The though of that moron being right about anything including what is on the menu at McDonalds makes me laugh.

5 hours ago, KRL said:

True, but also realize that the Ravens built an offense around Flacco last year and then tried to revamp the offense on the fly. They did a pretty good job but now they have had an entire offseason to rework the offense to fit Jackson's game. Andrews is an up and coming TE, Ingram was a nice add to the RB group, and they added Brown and Boykin in the draft. 

If they can keep Jackson upright he will do damage all season with his legs and occasionally hit a wide open WR down the field. 
It's not the type of offense I want the Jets running and I was not a fan of drafting Jackson in the first round but he can win you games for as long as his body holds up.