Training Camp Tweets (7/31)

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They didn't cut anybody.  They just didn't sign him to an exorbitant deal.  He also was "all-pro."  He made the pro bowl and missed a bunch of kicks at the end of the year after he was announced to the team.  He sucked in 2017.  He sucked at the end of 2018.  How dare we not pay  him!!!!!

FWIW, I am not a big Catanzaro fan either, but his career stats are very similar to Myers, but he is probably almost 5% better on extra points. 

Well, we'll see.

If we lose games due to kicks, and Myers plays well again, that's all the evidence I'll need it was a mistake.

Also, honestly, sounds like you want it both ways, support letting Myers go, don't support the new guy,  Playing up the "I'm right either way no matter what happens" angle, eh?

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Or is it Darnold dominating the defense with incredible placement? They’re not elite, but they are good players when they’re with good QBs. 

Honestly, I feel like I know we’ll have a top 10 offense but our defense is actually talent deficient in certain areas and it’s really depressing because of how much cap and draft capital we’ve spent on it.

• Upvote 3

Wow! All this play-by-play from practice is wonderful stuff but forgettable soon as the season starts.

the one thing we will remember coming outta training camp are injuries.

This team is trending in the right direction, but it’s still thin in the depth department.

crossing fingers that no one significant gets injured while practicing.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Samtorobby47 said:

Or is it Darnold dominating the defense with incredible placement? They’re not elite, but they are good players when they’re with good QBs. 

We are in a division with Tom Brady, who throws the ball with incredible placement in the middle of the field. If huge-money Mosley, Williamson, and sixth overall pick Jamal Adams can't slow down Ty Montgomery and Jamison Crowder now, then they stand no chance against Brady unless we're sacking him, and we're not going to sack him because we spend money on ILB's and top picks on strong safeties.  

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Let me put it this way: Gase was the best coach the Jets could have hired based on who would have taken the job, and simply by staging the coup and bringing in highly-regarded personnel execs (and getting them $$$PAID$$$) has brought about a massive and unexpected culture change. The alternative was having Matt Rhule quoting scripture here with Maccagnan walking the sidelines with his coffee cup and a few hundred headlines about how pissed Gregg Williams is that he's working for a relatively unaccomplished college guy.

Greg Williams would of never taken the job if Matt Rhule was our head coach? Who did hire Matt Rhule by the way? I wanna know what team is gonna have a sh*tty season.

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

We are in a division with Tom Brady, who throws the ball with incredible placement in the middle of the field. If huge-money Mosley, Williamson, and sixth overall pick Jamal Adams can't slow down Ty Montgomery and Jamison Crowder now, then they stand no chance against Brady unless we're sacking him, and we're not going to sack him because we spend money on ILB's and top picks on strong safeties.  

We all know the team is flawed. If Darnold proves to be the real deal and they miss the playoffs because of defense I will live with it. 

There is talent on the defense, but the resource allocation was horrendous leaving huge gaps at CB and EDGE. The GM paid for these mistakes with his job. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I don't know if this is calculated on Gase's part, but it's so interesting watching him embrace LeVeon Bell like this given both of their histories. Gase was supposed to be a grouchy prick who hated primadonna stars, and Bell was supposed to be this anti-establishment coach-killer. And yet, here we are. Regardless, it bodes well if Gase has learned a lesson from his Miami days. 

It's almost as if the media exaggerated the potential tension between Gase and Bell to make Gase look bad.  Weird. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

13 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

You rely on your kicker for every extra point after a TD that makes the difference in games. Oh and clutch FGs to win games. Asinine comment.

Score TD's and go for 2 every time and none of this matters...this is the way the league is trending

• WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

Score TD's and go for 2 every time and none of this matters...this is the way the league is trending

I don't know if this is the way the league is trending but if you can get over 50% of two point conversions it would make sense to go for 2 every time, especially if you can get significantly above 50%.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

It's almost as if the media exaggerated the potential tension between Gase and Bell to make Gase look bad.  Weird. 

Remember that two week stretch where Manish kept publishing obvious sour grapes Adam Gase smears where he'd say "Mike Maccagnan couldn't be reached for comment" and we all laughed and laughed and laughed and now nobody ever talks about Manish Mehta anymore?

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

In the current NFL if you are relying on your kicker to win games you all ready lost.

Can you name a Super Bowl winner that didn't have a solid kicker?  Games in this league tend to come down to just a few points.  On average, about 50 % of games are decided by 7 points or fewer.  So 1-2 missed FG's and/or XP's can make the difference in a lot of your games. 

Kickers are like free throw shooters.  You don't realize how important they are until you need them and have a guy at the line you can't rely on.  You can reduce the need for a solid kicker by going for it on 4th down and 2-point conversions more often, but there are some situations where that doesn't make sense and you still need someone to make a kick. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

10 minutes ago, Ruby2 said:

I do agree that it makes more sense to go for 2 on every possession if you have a bad Kicker. 

But that still doesn't help you when you have a long drive and come up empty because your Kicker just missed a sub-45 yard FG.  And going for it on 4th down only makes sense in certain scenarios. 

Just now, Barry McCockinner said:

I don't know if this is the way the league is trending but if you can get over 50% of two point conversions it would make sense to go for 2 every time, especially if you can get significantly above 50%.

We allready started to see it more last year. With kickers having to kick it back from further, thus missing so much more, it simply just makes sense to try and get 2 points instead of 1 when the rate of success isn't that much different than trying to settle for 1.

Im not totally disregarding the kicker, but in today game paying anything for them simply isn't a wise use of resources. We are seeing more and more teams going for it on 4th down which also leads to a decrease in need for a kicker to hit long yardage shots.

I am not saying that it isn't beneficial to have a guy who is solid from 40 yards and out, but if it's the end of the game and thats what you are relying on to win, chances are you allready blew the game, most likely by settling for FG's over TDs earlier.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Can you name a Super Bowl winner that didn't have a solid kicker?  Games in this league tend to come down to just a few points.  On average, about 50 % of games are decided by 7 points or fewer.  So 1-2 missed FG's and/or XP's can make the difference in a lot of your games. 

Kickers are like free throw shooters.  You don't realize how important they are until you need them and have a guy at the line you can't rely on.  You can reduce the need for a solid kicker by going for it on 4th down and 2-point conversions more often, but there are some situations where that doesn't make sense and you still need someone to make a kick. 

I hear you. It's a very fine line. I want a solid guy, but dont want to pay him because I dont think the value one presents over another is that substantial, especially with how the league is trending in my opinon.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

One of these analytics heavy teams is going to start doing this, have success, and then it will become the norm. 

Teams should also be going for it on fourth down a lot more. 

Do those two things, and your kicker is a lot less critical. 

Thank you, this is what I am trying to convey.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Well, we'll see.

If we lose games due to kicks, and Myers plays well again, that's all the evidence I'll need it was a mistake.

Also, honestly, sounds like you want it both ways, support letting Myers go, don't support the new guy,  Playing up the "I'm right either way no matter what happens" angle, eh?

I don't think there is a right or wrong.  They didn't pay an inconsistent kicker.  I am fine with that.  I am not a Catanzaro fan, but he is an NFL kicker.  He's not my favorite, but I only threw that out there because any post that admit letting Myers walk might not be a mistake tends to lead the JN herd mentality to label people "fanboys" of whoever they end up with. 

My main point is that Catanzaro (or whoever they end up with ) + $2M > Myers.  It is not just one vs. the other. 

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

This could be the difference in more than one game and ultimately, cost us the playoffs.  Would anyone not take Myers back, even at the price SEA is paying him?  I find it alarming that we don't even have a second kicker in camp to compete.

We'll be taking 7's and not 3's hopefully, but yes, this is looking like a very unwise decision.

Wait until next April when we're using that 6th Round pick from KC in the Darron Lee trade to take a fricken Kicker!

Top kicking prospects:

1. Georgia_logo.gif Rodrigo Blankenship, K, Georgia  
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 191.  
    Projected Round (2020): 4-6. 

6/22/19: In 2018, Blankenship was 19-of-23 on his field goals with a long of 53. He was excellent in 2017, connecting on 87 percent of his field goals. That season Blankenship had a long of 55 yards and was 2-for-2 in the 50+ range. He was 4-of-7 in the 40-yard range. 
  2. Stanford_logo.gif Jet Toner, K, Stanford  
    Height: 6-4. Weight: 201.  
    Projected Round (2020): 6-FA. 

6/22/19: Toner was 14-of-15 in 2018, showing excellent accuracy, but his longest field goal was from 46 yards out, so his leg strength was not really put to the test. In 2017, Toner showed an accurate leg, hitting 5-of-7 in the 40-yard range. That season, he was 21-of-26 with a long field goal of 46 yards. Toner needs to show more leg to hit field goals from 50-plus yards in 2019. 

3. Michigan_logo.gif Quinn Nordin, K, Michigan  
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 206.  
    Projected Round (2020): 7-FA. 

6/22/19: Nordin was 11-of-16 on his field goal attempts in 2018. He had a long of 50 yards. In 2017, Nordin was very accurate from deep distances, hitting 4-of-5 in the 40-yard range and as well as 2-of-3 in the 50+ range with a long of 55 yards. He had some issues in the 30s, missing three of 10 attempts. For the season, he was 19-of-24 - 79.2 percent. 
  4. Baylor_logo.gif Connor Martin, K, Baylor  
    Height: 5-9. Weight: 173.  

6/22/19: Martin was 15-of-24 with a long of 50 yards in 2018. In his first season as Baylor's kicker, Martin had a strong debut, making 20-of-24 field goals - 83.3 percent. His longest field goal was from 48 yards out, so it would be good to see if Martin has the leg to get into the 50s in 2019. 

5. MississippiState_logo.gif Jace Christmann, K, Mississippi State  
    Height: 6-0. Weight: 200.  
    Projected Round (2020): 6-FA. 

6/22/19: Christmann was 12-of-16 with a long of 47 yards in 2018. In 2017, he was 12-of-14 with a long of 45 yards. He needs to show more deep range in 2019. 

6. FloridaState_logo.gif Ricky Aguayo, K, Florida State  
    Height: 6-2. Weight: 205.  

6/22/19: Aguayo had a disappointing 2018 season, connecting on only 11-of 17 attempts with a long of 53. He generally has been a very accurate kicker for Florida State. In 2017, he connected on 18-of-21 field goals with a long of 51 yards. Aguayo was 19-for-26 in 2016. He has made 93-of-95 extra point attempts.