Training Camp Tweets (7/31)

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I get that, but Crowder is a punt returner.  Having him return punts is not surprising.  I think he has one kick return in his career.  I'd be concerned if he were doing that, but returning punts is standard operating procedure for Crowder. 

I prefer not risking him doing that, I would rather his skills be used on the offense alone not special teams... For special teams I'd like Dortch or Cannon or whoever else jumps out in camp and makes that job his own.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That would certainly explain a lot. 

He missed a bunch of deep throws last year. It’s not the best part of his game. Josh Allen makes these throws with his eyes closed. 

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, jetsons said:

Personally that's not something I want to see... I don't want Crowder returning kicks, I prefer Dortch or Cannon doing that.

No one wants Cannon returning punts. 

• Upvote 3
2 minutes ago, jetsons said:

I prefer not risking him doing that, I would rather his skills be used on the offense alone not special teams... For special teams I'd like Dortch or Cannon or whoever else jumps out in camp and makes that job his own.

If those guys jump out fine, but we can save a roster spot.  Cannon has already sh*t the bed returning punts. He was so bad that based on one preseason game most of the board thinks he has fumbling problems when he did not fumble once.  Maybe he improved in the offseason, but I am not holding my breath.  I am sure that Dortch will get a shot.  Still, the idea that a 170 lb UDFA is going to get a stranglehold on the job is nice, but it smacks of burning a 4th on Jalen Saunders. 

• Thumb Down 1
1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

You're not even a little concerned that the list includes Ajayi, Gore and Drake?  When the Jets locked a fortune up for a #1 back that isn't shy?  

Nothing you can do about that at this point.  They seem to be getting along well...……..for now.

If it goes south the screw up is all on CJ for letting Macc spend over $200,000,000 of Woody's money, then run the draft alone, before firing him.

Hope for the best.

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

If over 50 % of the time when a team goes for 2 or goes for it on 4th down, they succeed, then it makes sense to go for 2 or go for it on 4th down (within reason) EVERY time.  

Not every time. Plenty of scenarios where the scoreboard dictates go for one  For example,  If I'm down by 7 after getting 6 from a TD, I'm going for one, not 2.

8 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I hated Maccagnan as much as the next guy, but he found an all pro returner and pro bowl kicker and you are still bashing him for underrating special teams?  WTF? 

Did he resign any of them No!

One year he hits gold, then let’s them go. That’s not rating special teams. 

He cheaped out While having $100 to spend on F.A. He saved a couple of mill by not keeping his kicker and kick returner.

So yes he underrated special teams.

• Like 1

Sam Darnold impresses more with each Jets practice

July 31, 2019 | 3:46pm

Enlarge Image
Sam Darnold
Sam DarnoldAP

Highlights from the Jets practice on Wednesday:

Something Good

Sam Darnold had his best day so far of camp, completing 12-of-15 passes along with touchdown strikes to Quincy Enunwa and Jamison Crowder. He was accurate, threw well on the run and made quick decisions as the second-year quarterback’s progression continued following a strong practice on Monday.

Something Bad

Slot cornerback Brian Poole struggled, allowing Crowder to catch all four of his targets including a touchdown on the goal line. He was also beat by Robby Anderson on a Darnold scramble.

Caught my eye

Right guard Kelechi Osemele flattened Avery Williamson on a running play, then clapped in his face as the linebacker got up off the turf. The Raider import, a two-time Pro Bowler, has been a major bright spot so far, adding much-needed physicality and even a bit of a mean streak up front.

Injury report

Crowder (left foot) returned to practice and was full go. TE Temuchin Hodges and CB Jeremy Clark suffered hamstring injuries on Tuesday. S Brandon Bryant (foot) practiced for the first time after getting taken off the active/physically unable to perform list. TE Dan Brown (hamstring) returned to practice.

• Upvote 2
54 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Wha wha whut.

The Double Doink: Cody Parkey's Missed Field Goal Gives Eagles Win

Chicago Bears kicker Cody Parkey's field goal hits the upright and the crossbar before falling into the end zone, no good.

Wide Right, a.k.a. 47 Wide Right, was Scott Norwood's missed 47-yard field goal attempt for the Buffalo Bills at the end of Super Bowl XXV on January 27, 1991, as described by sportscaster Al Michaels. The missed field goal resulted in the game being won by the New York Giants. The phrase "wide right" has since become synonymous with the game itself, and has since been used in other sports. This game is also called The Miss by some Bills fans.

I could go on..

NY Jets: The most impressive moment of Sam Darnold's best training camp practice yet

Andy Vasquez, NFL writerPublished 4:41 p.m. ET July 31, 2019 | Updated 5:58 p.m. ET July 31, 2019

NY Jets quarterback Sam Darnold on the expectations he has this season for his team and himself as they head to the opening game against Buffalo. Chris Pedota, NorthJersey

CONNECTTWEETLINKEDINCOMMENTEMAILMORE

FLORHAM PARK — Sam Darnold showed his immense potential Wednesday with every precise pass he zipped during New York Jets training camp. 

The 22-year-old quarterback completed 12-of-15 passes with two touchdowns, making short and long throws during 11-on-11 drills look equally easy in the best practice of his young sophomore season. But one of those plays — an innocuous-looking 10-yard gain on the stat sheet — stood out above the rest. 

Darnold rolled to his right, looked downfield and when he didn’t see anyone open, he kept rolling. As he approached the sideline, well behind the line of scrimmage, pressure started to arrive and it seemed certain that he’d have to throw the ball away. But Darnold waited until the last possible moment, when receiver Robby Anderson finally flashed open on the sideline in front of him. Then, h delivered a perfect pass.  

Nothing had been turned into something, as Darnold continued to show an aptitude for making plays outside the pocket. 

Quarterback, Sam Darnold guides the quarterbacks to the next practice field on the first day of training camp for the NY Jets at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, NJ on July 25, 2019.

Quarterback, Sam Darnold guides the quarterbacks to the next practice field on the first day of training camp for the NY Jets at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, NJ on July 25, 2019. (Photo: Chris Pedota, NorthJersey.com-USA Today Network)

“I didn’t know how much longer he was going to hold onto the ball,” Jets coach Adam Gase said. “As a coach …  you can see everything that’s going on behind, the guys chasing after him and you just start thinking in real game ‘are you going to feel when a guy’s too close?’ But he has good sense of where everybody is. And he doesn’t have to necessarily see it to feel it.” 

The day didn’t start so well for Darnold. He botched the first play of team drills, turning the wrong way to hand off the ball. 

“He was mad,” Gase said. “And I was like, ‘We’re probably going to have a good day,’ because he makes one mistake and he locks in.” 

It wasn’t a perfect day. He missed a sure touchdown when he sailed a deep ball slightly over a wide open Robby Anderson. But Darnold was decisive, spread the ball around and looked comfortable rolling out of the pocket in either direction. 

Gase has told the team to “be where your feet are at” early in this training camp. But this was the kind of performance that has everyone excited about how this offense could look when the games start to count.

Quarterback Sam Darnold throwing the ball to Davis Webb on the first day of training camp for the NY Jets at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, NJ on July 25, 2019.

Quarterback Sam Darnold throwing the ball to Davis Webb on the first day of training camp for the NY Jets at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, NJ on July 25, 2019. (Photo: Chris Pedota, NorthJersey.com-USA Today Network)

“If he’s playing like that, I don’t think there is a ceiling,” Anderson said. “He’s taking great strides. In a sense he’s kind of a rookie again, because it’s a new offense. But he’s really not. He’s working hard. … You can tell.”

Of course, the sixth practice camp will mean just nothing a month from now. And Gase knows that.

“We’re not going to really know until real games happen,” he said. But Gase also couldn’t hide his excitement about what the future might hold.

Sam Darnold’s mastery highlights Jets practice on Wednesday: ‘If he’s playing like that, I don’t think there is a ceiling’

Manish Mehta
NEW YORK DAILY NEWS |
JUL 31, 2019 | 3:42 PM

Sam Darnold was cookin’ with gas Wednesday, prompting even the casual observer at Jets practice to see the thought bubble above Adam Gase’s head: Holy s--t! This kid is going to be special.

The second-year quarterback displayed some of his prodigious gifts in easily his best training camp practice, firing bullets inside and outside of the pocket, making swiss cheese out of Gregg Williams’ defense for at least one day.

“I like the fact that our quarterback is pretty good,” Gase said after a long smile.

Darnold displayed a little bit of everything after an inauspicious first snap in team drills when he turned the wrong way on a hand-off to Le’

“He was mad after the first play and then I was like, ‘We’re probably going to have a good day,’” Gase said. “Because he makes one mistake and then locks in really good.”

Sam Darnold, seen here earlier in camp, put on a show Wednesday in Florham Park.
Sam Darnold, seen here earlier in camp, put on a show Wednesday in Florham Park. (Seth Wenig/AP)

Darnold was dialed in for the rest of the two-hour practice. From improvisational magic rolling right to scripted lasers rolling left, the young signal caller gave everyone a taste of what Gase’s offense might be this season.

The true test obviously won’t come until five weeks from now when the Bills roll into town for the season opener, but it’s reassuring for Gase & Co. to see moments like Wednesday with Darnold, who unofficially went 12 for 15 (that included a drop on perfect back-shoulder pass) with two touchdowns in 11-on-11 drills.

Darnold’s lone blemish in the passing game: A heave that sailed just beyond a wide-open Robby Anderson for what should have been a 50-yard touchdown.

The rest of his practice was brilliant.

“If he’s playing like that, I don’t think there is a ceiling (for the offense),” Anderson said. “Sky’s the limit … He’s taking great strides. In a sense, he’s kind of a rookie again because it’s a new offense. He’s working hard. More serious than ever. You can tell.”

Darnold’s first eye-opening play revealed his instincts, football intelligence on the run, and ability to sense pressure behind him. After getting flushed out of the pocket, he ran to his right with a defender in pursuit. He extended the play, surveyed the landscape and fired a dart to Anderson, who perfectly executed his scramble rules.

“That’s a gift on his part,” Anderson said. “He can really throw the ball on the run. Not many guys can do that. Him being able to extend plays when things might die down … quarterbacks might throw it away or take a sack, he’s able to make something special happen as we’ve seen last year. We’ve just got to build on that and keep working that scramble drill. A lot of big plays will come from that. A lot of yards after catch and extended drives are going to come off his athleticism.”

Darnold made a pinpoint 25-yard touchdown pass to Quincy Enunwa in tight coverage before firing a bullet on a designed rollout to the left in the red zone to Jamison Crowder, who showed no ill effects from a foot scare near the end of Monday’s practice. The signal caller’s ability to throw across his body with zip and precision is rare.

RELATED GALLERY
Week 1: Buffalo Bills

(Adrian Kraus / AP)

1 / 17

2019 New York Jets regular season schedule

“When he throws it, he can get his whole body into it,” Gase said about throwing on the run to his left. “He twerks his hips and that ball comes flying out of there and is accurate. I haven’t seen many guys throw to his left the way he does. It’s impressive.”

Gase downplayed getting the better of Williams’ defense on this day, noting that the play callers “work together to script these situations to make sure that we’re seeing all the different looks.” Truth be told, Gang Green’s run defense made life difficult for Bell & Co. on Wednesday.

However, there’s a winner and a loser in every practice. And the bottom line on this day: Gase’s offense won thanks to a young quarterback who is going to be pretty damn good.

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - NOVEMBER 17: Blake Cashman #36 of the Minnesota Golden Gophers tackles Kyric McGowan #8 of the Northwestern Wildcats during the fourth quarter of the game at TCFBank Stadium on November 17, 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Northwestern defeated Minnesota 24-14. (Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images)

MINNEAPOLIS, MINNESOTA - NOVEMBER 17: Blake Cashman #36 of the Minnesota Golden Gophers tackles Kyric McGowan #8 of the Northwestern Wildcats during the fourth quarter of the game at TCFBank Stadium on November 17, 2018 in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Northwestern defeated Minnesota 24-14. (Photo by Hannah Foslien/Getty Images)

New York Jets: Blake Cashman not surprisingly impressive so far

The New York Jets got a steal in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft in former Minnesota Gophers linebacker Blake Cashman.

Stories like New York Jets rookie linebacker Blake Cashman’s are the reason we love the third day of the NFL Draft.

Cashman, who was taken by the New York Jets in the fifth round of the 2019 NFL Draft, was a captain out of Minnesota who excelled obviously on defense but made his mark — and earned his scholarship — by going beast mode on special teams.

272.jpg?mode=stretch&connatiximg=true&scale=both&height=343&width=610

He started out his college career with the Gophers as a preferred walk-on, and it took him two years to eventually get a scholarship. It’s hard to believe when you consider what we know now, but Cashman wasn’t always a top-flight linebacker prospect.

In fact, he wasn’t a linebacker at all.

He was a converted defensive back who became a team captain at linebacker, but maintained his elite level speed and explosiveness. He ran a 4.50 at almost 240 pounds, and posted a 37-inch vertical jump.

This guy is the real deal, and he has the production to match that athleticism. He racked up 104 tackles with 15 tackles for loss this past season.

RELATED PRODUCT
New York Jets Sam Darnold NFL Draft Bobblehead
New York Jets Sam Darnold NFL Draft Bobblehead
Buy Now!

Working in with the starters at Jets camp, Cashman got picked into a great situation with the Jets whose defensive coordinator — Gregg Williams — can find ways to incorporate three off-ball linebackers on the field at the same time with a primarily 4-3 alignment.

The Jets aren’t the only team using a 4-3 anymore, but they are a rare team with the personnel to be able to keep their linebackers — big-money free agent pickups Avery Williamson and CJ Mosley along with Cashman — on the field for all three downs if they want.

Cashman can cover. He has range. He can play downhill. He can do a little bit of everything.

He also showed off his interview skills with a pre-draft sit-down with NFL Mocks podcast host Brooks Austin, which you can listen to here:

For whatever reason, the NFL — which is a league in desperate need of linebackers who can play all three downs — let a guy like Cashman slip through the cracks all the way to the fifth round. Some people are higher on Cashman than others but this is a guy who can come in and lead your team in special teams snaps as well as provide your defense with more options than a Swiss Army knife.

I think everyone around the league is going to quickly realize their error in passing on Cashman.

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

If those guys jump out fine, but we can save a roster spot.  Cannon has already sh*t the bed returning punts. He was so bad that based on one preseason game most of the board thinks he has fumbling problems when he did not fumble once.  Maybe he improved in the offseason, but I am not holding my breath.  I am sure that Dortch will get a shot.  Still, the idea that a 170 lb UDFA is going to get a stranglehold on the job is nice, but it smacks of burning a 4th on Jalen Saunders. 

mentioning cannon for PR is pure ignorance. any mentions of him and STs is as a gunner. get with it

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Losmeister said:

mentioning cannon for PR is pure ignorance. any mentions of him and STs is as a gunner. get with it

Cannon has been having a good camp.  He's been mentioned 3 of the 6 days as a good day,  Couple of days ago he caught a 55 yard TD.  Guys got rare speed.  Having Cannon and Anderson on the field would be very disquieting for a DC.

Yes, it's more then just about speed, we'll see if the good play continues.  Right now he's playing well 

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1

OMG

I read the first 4 pages of this thread and had to stop. You guys are unbelievable. I realize we’re in the sunshine and lollipops phase with this team right now, but listening to you guys explain to each other how not signing Myers was the right thing to do is just too much. Get over yourselves. You aren’t smarter then the Seattle front office. They saw a chance to get a Pro Bowl K, and took it. Macc was an idiot. He let the guy go despite having more then enough cap space to do so.

Sorry, but all you “go for 2” analytics geniuses... kickers are important. Ask the Browns, whose K lost the first 2 games last year and cost them an AFC North title.

Catanzaro sucks. The fact that you’re already spending an entire thread discussing it shows how badly he does. If Myers was here, this wouldn’t be an issue, because he doesn’t suck.

If one of you out there ( besides @nico002  and @Jetster)thinks this team is going to be blowing teams out this year on a consistent basis, you’re crazy. We’re going to be relying on our kicker to make a impact on just about every game we play. Good luck finding a guy who performs better then Myers did.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
1 minute ago, 14 in Green said:

OMG

I read the first 4 pages of this thread and had to stop. You guys are unbelievable. I realize we’re in the sunshine and lollipops phase with this team right now, but listening to you guys explain to each other how not signing Myers was the right thing to do is just too much. Get over yourselves. You aren’t smarter then the Seattle front office. They saw a chance to get a Pro Bowl K, and took it. Macc was an idiot. He let the guy go despite having more then enough cap space to do so.

Sorry, but all you “go for 2” analytics geniuses... kickers are important. Ask the Browns, whose K lost the first 2 games last year and cost them an AFC North title.

Catanzaro sucks. The fact that you’re already spending an entire thread discussing it shows how badly he does. If Myers was here, this wouldn’t be an issue, because he doesn’t suck.

If one of you out there ( besides @nico002  and @Jetster)thinks this team is going to be blowing teams out this year on a consistent basis, you’re crazy. We’re going to be relying on our kicker to make a impact on just about every game we play. Good luck finding a guy who performs better then Myers did.

We’ve turned over our kickers a lot in the last few years they’ve all been good. Nick Folk took more money to go to Tampa and he struggled. The truth is that you need a kicker to fail minimally. If Catanzaro keeps looking bad then we’ll pick someone off the street and he’ll probably be fine.

8 hours ago, nico002 said:

Darnold led the NFL in 20+ yard TDs last year- but yea he can’t throw deep

7 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Also, Darnold was 4th in the league in average air yards per attempt and 7th in average air yards completed.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing#average-completed-yards

Darnold was the 27th ranked QB in the NFL last season.

Guess which one of the three of us isn’t cherry picking stats?

10 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Darnold was the 27th ranked QB in the NFL last season.

Guess which one of the three of us isn’t cherry picking stats?

Dude you’re becoming senile. Take a break from posting.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The discussion was about deep passes. Guess which one of us isn't paying attention?

19 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Dude you’re becoming senile. Take a break from posting.

Again, he was the 27th ranked passer in the NFL. 

He wasn’t very good at short passing, medium range, or deep passing. That’s how you become ranked #27. But keep arguing with that guy who thinks he can’t throw a 50 yard pass into a bucket because it sounds like a knock on Sam, and any non fawning comments about him irk you..

He had that really good 3 game stretch which is what is giving us the confidence that he’ll take a big step forward this year. Aside from those 3 games he was bad. Look it up.

• Thumb Down 2
17 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

He wasn’t very good at short passing, medium range, or deep passing. That’s how you become ranked #27. But keep arguing with that guy who thinks he can’t throw a 50 yard pass into a bucket because it sounds like a knock on Sam, and any non fawning comments about him irk you..

He had that really good 3 game stretch which is what is giving us the confidence that he’ll take a big step forward this year. Aside from those 3 games he was bad. Look it up.

You must think Eli had a great year then, statistically his best year ever! Do you watch the games?

13 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The only thing that irks me is that you don't understand the nuanced conversation going on and you keep ranting about crap that isn't relevant. Either you're too dense to get what was being discussed or you're just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.

Do yourself a favor, ignore him.  You'll be happier for it, discuss with those without agendas, or suffer the same tired Pontificating about who or what you should be happy about.  

• Post of the Week 3
16 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The only thing that irks me is that you don't understand the nuanced conversation going on and you keep ranting about crap that isn't relevant. Either you're too dense to get what was being discussed or you're just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.

Lol. “The nuanced conversation going on”...

23 minutes ago, nico002 said:

You must think Eli had a great year then, statistically his best year ever! Do you watch the games?

14 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Do yourself a favor, ignore him.  You'll be happier for it, discuss with those without agendas, or the same tired Pontificating about who or what you should be happy about.  

I’m not even going to bother discussing this with you two. 

One of you has a crush on Darnold, the other is his grandmother. 

Even though I’m not in agreement with @Barry McCockinner on this topic, unlike with both of you, at least I respect his opinion and what he has to say on most topics here.

11 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

OMG

Meanwhile, the supposedly brilliant Seahawks are the same ones who cut Myers 7 months earlier when they had him for a fraction of the price.  Perhaps their decision to then give him a big contract (for a kicker) based on a good 3/4 of a season (considering he had some major shanks to wrap up the year) isn't the measure for great decision-making.  The nonsensical argument about a decision automatically being good solely because a front office made it contains absolutely no value whatsoever, at any time ever.  It's especially laughable when the same front office is contradicting it's very own recent decision-making.

Catanzaro certainly isn't great, but neither is Myers.  Consider that comparing their seasons with the Jets, while Catanzaro had a couple more FG misses than Myers did last year, he was much better on XPs, meaning he actually had a slightly higher total % of FG/XP here in 2017 than Myers did in 2018.  That's a funny little thing, huh?

Yes, Macc is/was in fact an idiot of immeasurable proportions, but the decision not to spend on Myers comes in a few hundred down the list on rankings of his dumbest decisions.

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
3 hours ago, Samtorobby47 said:

im already a fan of this kid. Love it. 

Never been a fan of huge big hit cele's after the offense has just busted off a big gain.  Celebrate when you actually stop the offense behind the line if scrimmage.

3 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

You're taking the whole "I'm just a realistic fan" schtick way too far. I haven't seen one post from you that isn't complaining about something in months.  It's ******* training camp and our young QB looks really good.

Complain 3-4 years down the road if there's no progress and stop lecturing other people about how they're delusional when you can't even focus on the actual discussion being had, just so you can complain.  If you can't do that then just leave.

Also, Sam had more than "3 good games" unless your eyes are broken.

• Upvote 2
11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

You're taking the whole "I'm just a realistic fan" schtick way to far. I haven't seen one post from you that isn't complaining about something in months.  it's ******* training camp and our young QB looks really good.

Complain 3-4 years down the rode if there's no progress and stop lecturing other people about how they're delusional when you can't even focus on the actual discussion being had, just so you can complain.  If you can't do that then just leave.

Where am I complaining?

Point to one thing I said in this conversation  that isn’t true.

How is an opposing view on the QBs performance last year or not re signing a Pro Bowl kicker “lecturing”?

Who the hell are you to tell me or anyone else to leave?

oh, and by the way, GFY

27 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Where am I complaining?

Point to one thing I said in this conversation  that isn’t true.

How is an opposing view “lecturing”?

Who the hell are you to tell me or anyone else to leave?

oh, and by the way, GFY

4 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

OMG

This whole post is a gigantic b*tchfest about the board.  Your introductory sentence is you literally saying you can't handle the first 4 pages of the thread because people are excited about the team.  You even TAGGED two people to rip on them.

Then you interject yourself into a conversation about deep passing statistics to talk about how bad you thought Darnold was, which, whether he was bad or good, is completely irrelevant to the actual discussion. 

If you wanna keep going, that's just two examples from this thread alone of you acting like a jilted high school teenager who Sam turned down.  There's plenty of other threads where you've sh*t on people happy to see him or the team progressing or about him/the team in general.

There's September, October, November, December, and January for all of us to b*tch.  No one wants to hear it all spring and summer.

GFY right back.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1