Training Camp Tweets (7/31)

4 hours ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The only thing that irks me is that you don't understand the nuanced conversation going on and you keep ranting about crap that isn't relevant. Either you're too dense to get what was being discussed or you're just being an ass for the sake of being an ass.

When multiple people say you come off as an ass being an ass for the sake of being ass, you're probably just being an ass.

11 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

This whole post is a gigantic b*tchfest about the board.  Your introductory sentence is you literally saying you can't handle the first 4 pages of the thread because people are excited about the team.  You even TAGGED two people to rip on them.

Then you interject yourself into a conversation about deep passing statistics to talk about how bad you thought Darnold was, which, whether he was bad or good, is completely irrelevant to the actual discussion. 

Wanna keep going because that's just two examples from this thread alone of you acting like a jilted high school teenager who Sam turned down.  There's plenty of other threads where you've sh*t on people happy to see him progressing.  There's September, October, November, December, and January for all of us to b*tch.  No one wants to hear it all spring and summer.

GFY right back.

First of all, I’m sorry about that GFY comment. You caught me off guard with your quote, and I reacted quickly, and angrily. It wasn’t a good look on my part, and I deserved your coming backwith the same.

As far as this new quote of yours, I was commenting on guys complaining about Catanzaro, and the kicking games unimportance  for the first few pages. Hence my comment about not resigning last years. Had nothing to do with the board in general.

The “deep passing” thing was a comment by one poster, who was then disagreed with by two others, who brought up stats to support their view. I countered their stats, which I claimed were cherry picked, with an overall league ranking. It was a conversation within the thread. We’re all allowed to comment on them aren’t we?

As far as Darnold in general, I’ve been very consistent. He didn’t impress me as much as he did a lot of you last year. I want him to do well, because I’m a Jets fan. I think it’s great that people are confident about his abilities, but if I think it reaches hyperbolic proportions, i’ll say so. Ive never once rooted against him, I’ve complimented him for things he’s done well, but I’ll also comment about things when he doesn’t. I’m sorry if that bothers you.

One more thing. I find it pretty strange that I’m the one you singled out here. I read a lot of threads every day and see the same people arguing or hijacking said threads every day. Yet you take it on yourself  to tell me to leave. It’s not because I’m negative per se, regarding the Jets. Be honest, its because you feel I’m not positive enough on Sam Darnold. 

@Mogglez Just saw you quoted Barry McC while I was writing my reply. I guess I was wrong to give you the courtesy of an apology and explanation.

The way I was raised a man settles things with a person one on one, even if it’s only a verbal disagreement. He doesn’t go running to others for affirmation.

I guess we’re just different that way.

39 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

First of all, I’m sorry about that GFY comment. You caught me off guard with your quote, and I reacted quickly, and angrily. It wasn’t a good look on my part, and I deserved your coming backwith the same.

As far as this new quote of yours, I was commenting on guys complaining about Catanzaro, and the kicking games unimportance  for the first few pages. Hence my comment about not resigning last years. Had nothing to do with the board in general.

The “deep passing” thing was a comment by one poster, who was then disagreed with by two others, who brought up stats to support their view. I countered their stats, which I claimed were cherry picked, with an overall league ranking. It was a conversation within the thread. We’re all allowed to comment on them aren’t we?

As far as Darnold in general, I’ve been very consistent. He didn’t impress me as much as he did a lot of you last year. I want him to do well, because I’m a Jets fan. I think it’s great that people are confident about his abilities, but if I think it reaches hyperbolic proportions, i’ll say so. Ive never once rooted against him, I’ve complimented him for things he’s done well, but I’ll also comment about things when he doesn’t. I’m sorry if that bothers you.

One more thing. I find it pretty strange that I’m the one you singled out here. I read a lot of threads every day and see the same people arguing or hijacking said threads every day. Yet you take it on yourself  to tell me to leave. It’s not because I’m negative per se, regarding the Jets. Be honest, its because you feel I’m not positive enough on Sam Darnold. 

I'll skinny this up by apologizing for my "GFY" as well and telling you that you can feel whatever you want regarding Darnold because no, my issue isn't with how you feel about him. It's the fact that it's August 1st and I've seen absolutely nothing but complaining in general from you in a ton of threads regarding the progress of the team and, quite frankly, you used to be a lot better than that with your content.  It gets really tiresome to see the same arguments in multiple from you when Nico or Helen post.  It gets tiresome to see you pounce at someone else who is enthusiastic, maybe even a bit too enthusiastic, about Sam, the team, etc. and then see you play it off as "opposing views". I singled you out because in my time lurking lately, I've seen you do it more than anyone else.  This time you decided to take a collective shot at the boards overall excitement regarding the team by singling out those who aren't freaking out over kicker of all positions.  There was no quotes specifically mentioning who or what you were referring to.  You simply said "4 pages in and I can't believe you guys are so happy with the current state of things, even if this the time we're all supposed to be rainbow and sunshine.  Also Nico and Jetster you guys suck".  Then you interjected yourself into an argument with completely irrelevant statistics just to take a shot at Sam, and when called out on it, rip into the same two specific people you always do.  Just the other day you mentioned how all they do is "slurp up Sam" and you said to another poster that he can't have a rational discussion with them unless he does the same.  He's the QB of YOURS AND THEIR favorite NFL team, and by all accounts, is progressing.  What's the point of saying any of that other than to stir sh*t?  We're on a Jets message board, what do you expect from Jets fans?  At a certain point, you don't come off as a guy who is keeping it real with Sam or the team, you just come off as someone who almost seems to root against him and them to prove a personal point.  It's just old as sh*t.  Again, my largest gripe is that you're a better poster than what you've been doing lately.

Like I said, we have the whole season to be miserable.  Is it too much to ask for the complaining to be toned down until then?

• Upvote 2

22 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Just saw you quoted Barry McC while I was writing my reply. I guess I was wrong to give you the courtesy of an apology and explanation.

The way I was raised a man settles things with a person one on one, even if it’s only a verbal disagreement. He doesn’t go running to others for affirmation.

I guess we’re just different that way.

And I'll apologize for that as well.  I was just agreeing with him, hot off your reply to me.

Sorry.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

And I'll apologize for that as well.  I was just agreeing with him, hot off your reply to me.

Sorry.

All good.

I wish the post above this was the one you sent first. It was good, constructive criticism. Sometimes a person is the last to know how their humor, or snark is wearing on people. 

Im going to take your advice and make an effort to tone things down.

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, 14 in Green said:

All good.

I wish the post above this was the one you sent first. It was good, constructive criticism. Sometimes a person is the last to know how their humor, or snark is wearing on people. 

Thanks man.  I look forward to the guy that I remember as great poster coming back around.

9 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

OMG

I read the first 4 pages of this thread and had to stop. You guys are unbelievable. I realize we’re in the sunshine and lollipops phase with this team right now, but listening to you guys explain to each other how not signing Myers was the right thing to do is just too much. Get over yourselves. You aren’t smarter then the Seattle front office. They saw a chance to get a Pro Bowl K, and took it. Macc was an idiot. He let the guy go despite having more then enough cap space to do so.

Sorry, but all you “go for 2” analytics geniuses... kickers are important. Ask the Browns, whose K lost the first 2 games last year and cost them an AFC North title.

Catanzaro sucks. The fact that you’re already spending an entire thread discussing it shows how badly he does. If Myers was here, this wouldn’t be an issue, because he doesn’t suck.

If one of you out there ( besides @nico002  and @Jetster)thinks this team is going to be blowing teams out this year on a consistent basis, you’re crazy. We’re going to be relying on our kicker to make a impact on just about every game we play. Good luck finding a guy who performs better then Myers did.

Quote one thread of mine where I said we would be blowing people out. Say what you will here but don't use me as an example based on something I've never written here. I get the fact your entering the season with guarded optimism, but my excitement is over entering the season with easily the most offensive talent we've had in a long time, a very good young growing QB, an offensive coach, an experienced defensive coach who has some nice pcs to work with, nothing less, nothing more.

I also believe that every other team in this league has holes, will get hurt by injuries at important positions, we have a great schedule based on very little travel, and I look at this upcoming season with a WHY NOT US optimism.

14 hours ago, flgreen said:

What a surprise.  Malcontent players who were crap canned after one season bad mouthing the HC who fired them.  And reporters blowing it all out of proportion.  

Adam Gase's rapport with players a major part of building Dolphins' new culture

Jun 27, 2017
  • walker_james.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    James WalkerESPN Staff Writer

DAVIE, Fla. -- Although the incident happened months ago, Miami Dolphins coach Adam Gase gave a public mea culpa recently during mandatory minicamp.

Gase was asked about one of his biggest miscalculations during his first head-coaching season, when most things went right. The coaching staff decided to limit playing time for perennial Pro Bowl defensive end Cameron Wake during the first five games because he was coming off an Achilles injury. Miami went 1-4 in that span before Gase changed course.

ADVERTISEMENT

“I made a mistake. I should have been playing him more early,” Gase said in retrospect. “We were trying to think long term. ... We thought we were being smart and it backfired on us. What we should have done was just let him play.”

Wake, who finished the year with a team-high 11.5 sacks and his fifth Pro Bowl nod, appreciated the public apology from his coach.

“Well, we’re all human, right? We all make mistakes,” Wake said last week. “Players make them on the field. Coaches make them off the field. As a man in this game, you’ve got to be able to admit when that happens. I think there are probably other coaches who don’t do that, and obviously with him being a different kind of guy, I think that’s part of the reason why guys respect him, why guys relate to him and why guys love him.”

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F1226%2Fr165977_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=570&format=jpg Heading into his second season as head coach, Adam Gase has the Dolphins' full attention. Photo by Rich Barnes/Getty Images

Gase’s rapport and open communication with his players are major building blocks in Miami's new culture. Although players won’t say it publicly, Gase’s ability to relate with players is a significant upgrade over former coach Joe Philbin, who is 16 years older and doesn’t have the same charisma and presence.

Receiver Kenny Stills was Miami’s biggest in-house free agent this offseason. He received serious interest from three teams, including the Dolphins. Stills, who signed a four-year, $32 million extension in March, reportedly took less money to return to Miami and cited his rapport with Gase as a big reason.

When Stills and several teammates decided to take a knee during the national anthem for every game last year to protest social injustice against minorities, Gase and the Dolphins offered their support. These are the kinds of situations that build loyalty and trust among players.

“Our relationship is unique, because of him, and he allows that with this team and with the guys on this team,” Stills explained. “I feel like that’s a part of this building being special. He really, genuinely cares about us and is looking out for us and wants what’s in our best interest. So it makes it easy to play for a guy like that.”

Dolphins backup running back Damien Williams was a restricted free agent who visited with the rival New England Patriots in the spring. Because of his respect for Gase, Williams kept Miami’s coach up-to-date throughout the process before re-signing.

“Me and Coach Gase never stopped talking from the moment we ended our last game until now,” Williams said. “We always kept in contact. We always talked. He loves what we’re building here and I love what we’re building here, so there was no point in leaving.”

The culture starts at the top, with Gase and Dolphins owner Stephen Ross setting the tone. As an organization, Miami has made a point of investing in the totality of the player, not just what happens on the field.

Ross, for example, hosted a “business combine” in February for 16 of his players to learn about various aspects of the financial world and help with life after football. Director of player engagement Kaleb Thornhill also has done a great job with additional programs and handling day-to-day issues, according to Gase.

“When we’re in the building, it’s not always football,” Gase said. “Our coaches do a good job investing in what our players enjoy doing outside of the building -- their families and kids. I think that’s something to be said for our coaching staff, because our players know that we actually are invested in them, not only as a player but as a person.”

Tight end Julius Thomas was acquired this offseason in a trade with the Jacksonville Jaguars and is new to Miami’s culture. But Thomas spent four seasons with Gase when they were with the Denver Broncos, so Thomas knew the kind of coach and leader he was rejoining.

“Not only is he a guy that I think is one of the best football minds -- he’s really good at teaching and instructing -- but he’s also somebody that I consider a friend and somebody that I trust in this game,” Thomas said of Gase. “To have that marriage is pretty good.”

In just a short time, Gase has been able to build strong bonds and command the respect of players throughout his locker room, a factor that cannot be overlooked as he attempts to lead the Dolphins to back-to-back playoff appearances for the first time since Miami made the playoffs five straight years after the 1997-2001 seasons.

However, when questioned about veterans on the roster standing up to Gase this season, receiver Kenny Stills replied in a tweet, “I don’t know who your source is, but this is completely false. I’ve never publicly or privately “disavowed” Coach Gase. Nothing but love for the Gase family.”

Fellow receiver Albert Wilson, who has been out most of the season following a hip injury, tweeted, “a full year I could of shown how much of a genius he was!”https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20181231/player-reactions-vary-after-adam-gase-fired-by-dolphins

Adam Gase likes having players come in to help

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 7, 2017, 6:34 AM EDT
82294022.jpg?w=560&h=316&crop=1
Getty Images

Dolphins coach Adam Gase has quickly earned a reputation as a player’s coach.

Part of that could be for his willingness to turn to former players for help.

Via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the latest to drop in was longtime NFL cornerback Dre Bly.

Bly spent a week working with the Dolphins’ defensive backs, “bouncing knowledge to guys” on the field and the meeting room, according to defensive back Jordan Lucas.

Bly and Gase crossed paths in Detroit, when Gase was a scouting assistant and coaching assistant with the Lions.

The two-time Pro Bowl corner joined a list of guest instructors which includes Wes Welker, Chris Chambers and others who have spent time there this offseason.

While many coaches will treat their meeting rooms and sideline access as sacred, Gase’s openness to others is an interesting approach, and perhaps part of the reason players have responded so well to him.

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2016%2F1226%2Fr165977_1296x729_16%2D9.jpg&w=570&format=jpg Heading into his second season as head coach, Adam Gase has the Dolphins' full attention. Photo by Rich Barnes/Getty Images

Gase’s rapport and open communication with his players are major building blocks in Miami's new culture. Although players won’t say it publicly, Gase’s ability to relate with players is a significant upgrade over former coach Joe Philbin, who is 16 years older and doesn’t have the same charisma and presence.

Receiver Kenny Stills was Miami’s biggest in-house free agent this offseason. He received serious interest from three teams, including the Dolphins. Stills, who signed a four-year, $32 million extension in March, reportedly took less money to return to Miami and cited his rapport with Gase as a big reason.

When Stills and several teammates decided to take a knee during the national anthem for every game last year to protest social injustice against minorities, Gase and the Dolphins offered their support. These are the kinds of situations that build loyalty and trust among players.

“Our relationship is unique, because of him, and he allows that with this team and with the guys on this team,” Stills explained. “I feel like that’s a part of this building being special. He really, genuinely cares about us and is looking out for us and wants what’s in our best interest. So it makes it easy to play for a guy like that.”

Dolphins backup running back Damien Williams was a restricted free agent who visited with the rival New England Patriots in the spring. Because of his respect for Gase, Williams kept Miami’s coach up-to-date throughout the process before re-signing.

“Me and Coach Gase never stopped talking from the moment we ended our last game until now,” Williams said. “We always kept in contact. We always talked. He loves what we’re building here and I love what we’re building here, so there was no point in leaving.”

The culture starts at the top, with Gase and Dolphins owner Stephen Ross setting the tone. As an organization, Miami has made a point of investing in the totality of the player, not just what happens on the field.

Ross, for example, hosted a “business combine” in February for 16 of his players to learn about various aspects of the financial world and help with life after football. Director of player engagement Kaleb Thornhill also has done a great job with additional programs and handling day-to-day issues, according to Gase.

“When we’re in the building, it’s not always football,” Gase said. “Our coaches do a good job investing in what our players enjoy doing outside of the building -- their families and kids. I think that’s something to be said for our coaching staff, because our players know that we actually are invested in them, not only as a player but as a person.”

Tight end Julius Thomas was acquired this offseason in a trade with the Jacksonville Jaguars and is new to Miami’s culture. But Thomas spent four seasons with Gase when they were with the Denver Broncos, so Thomas knew the kind of coach and leader he was rejoining.

“Not only is he a guy that I think is one of the best football minds -- he’s really good at teaching and instructing -- but he’s also somebody that I consider a friend and somebody that I trust in this game,” Thomas said of Gase. “To have that marriage is pretty good.”

In just a short time, Gase has been able to build strong bonds and command the respect of players throughout his locker room, a factor that cannot be overlooked as he attempts to lead the Dolphins to back-to-back playoff appearances for the first time since Miami made the playoffs five straight years after the 1997-2001 seasons.

However, when questioned about veterans on the roster standing up to Gase this season, receiver Kenny Stills replied in a tweet, “I don’t know who your source is, but this is completely false. I’ve never publicly or privately “disavowed” Coach Gase. Nothing but love for the Gase family.”

Fellow receiver Albert Wilson, who has been out most of the season following a hip injury, tweeted, “a full year I could of shown how much of a genius he was!”https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20181231/player-reactions-vary-after-adam-gase-fired-by-dolphins

Adam Gase likes having players come in to help

Posted by Darin Gantt on July 7, 2017, 6:34 AM EDT
82294022.jpg?w=560&h=316&crop=1
Getty Images

Dolphins coach Adam Gase has quickly earned a reputation as a player’s coach.

Part of that could be for his willingness to turn to former players for help.

Via Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, the latest to drop in was longtime NFL cornerback Dre Bly.

Bly spent a week working with the Dolphins’ defensive backs, “bouncing knowledge to guys” on the field and the meeting room, according to defensive back Jordan Lucas.

Bly and Gase crossed paths in Detroit, when Gase was a scouting assistant and coaching assistant with the Lions.

The two-time Pro Bowl corner joined a list of guest instructors which includes Wes Welker, Chris Chambers and others who have spent time there this offseason.

While many coaches will treat their meeting rooms and sideline access as sacred, Gase’s openness to others is an interesting approach, and perhaps part of the reason players have responded so well to him.

What a surprise someone ready to over look facts......I am glad there is a counter story,,,But I posted this as a point, every wants sunshine and rainbows as far the players there are few like drake, gore and stills were speaking out and going to the owner. You dont think there is a potential issue with the locker room concerning gase. I hope he learned I hope he does well. You take everything into perspective.

The facts are he is a sub 500 coach who made a name for himself working with a hall of fame qb. And he failed upwards from the Fins job. I hope he does well but before I think we found a great coach, let him win some games and prove he learned something

living in reality where everything should be checked out. You could have rolled a corpse in here and it would have been more animated and have more energy then Bowles

19 hours ago, slats said:

Teams with good QBs have success going for it on fourth down. The Chargers were 7/8 on fourth down, the saints 13/16, KC 12/15, Seattle 11/14. The outlier were the Cheats, who were only 50% at 7/14. If your team is capable of making 4th downs at a 65+% clip, you should be going for it a lot more often and going for two every time. 

I agree that coaches generally get scared and play not to lose, but we see those trends changing, too. The guys getting the praise nowadays are the guys who put their foot on the gas and don't let up. 

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/downs/sort/fourthDownConvPct

I wonder if they were to do it all the time if the percentage would decrease as teams would prepare more and see the same few plays repeatedly.  And you’d lose the element of surprise.

3 hours ago, Jetster said:

Quote one thread of mine where I said we would be blowing people out. Say what you will here but don't use me as an example based on something I've never written here. I get the fact your entering the season with guarded optimism, but my excitement is over entering the season with easily the most offensive talent we've had in a long time, a very good young growing QB, an offensive coach, an experienced defensive coach who has some nice pcs to work with, nothing less, nothing more.

I also believe that every other team in this league has holes, will get hurt by injuries at important positions, we have a great schedule based on very little travel, and I look at this upcoming season with a WHY NOT US optimism.

I owe you an apology.

I really like your stuff here, and enjoy tweaking you sometimes. But it’s been pointed out to me by some people I respect here that sometimes my attempts at humor fall flat, and my snark is overdone. Sorry for being that guy....

@Barry McCockinner @nico002 And anyone else I’m forgetting from last night in this thread.

7 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

All good.

It's nice to get along, occasional arguments happen. I wish that some posters would be more concise. But that would be considered trolling  I guess.

23 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I owe you an apology.

I really like your stuff here, and enjoy tweaking you sometimes. But it’s been pointed out to me by some people I respect here that sometimes my attempts at humor fall flat, and my snark is overdone. Sorry for being that guy....

@Barry McCockinner @nico002 And anyone else I’m forgetting from last night in this thread.

it's a message board man - don't take it too serious. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 hours ago, Dcat said:

Not every time. Plenty of scenarios where the scoreboard dictates go for one  For example,  If I'm down by 7 after getting 6 from a TD, I'm going for one, not 2.

That's why I included the qualifier "within reason". 

And even the scenario you provided isn't all that crazy.  Why go for the tie when you can go for the win?  If you trust your offense more than your Kicker, it's not a terrible decision. 

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

I owe you an apology.

Not that big a deal. Some here are just more pessimistic than others in Life as in football. For me, I've been posting on here the Jets should be taking a QB in every freaking round if there is 1 there until we hit on one, lol. That's why I'm so excited about Darnold. The biggest mistake this organization has made is not having anyone with balls in a losing season telling a f*cking coach like Bowles that hadn't shown sh*t for 2 years to play the youngsters so we could take our pick at QB in a year when there were a few notables. Drafting Darnold without having to trade those resources would have been amazing! Water under the bridge I know, but trying out youngsters is not GIVING UP as others have said, it's doing the RIGHT THING for the future. Bowles was losing his job NO MATTER WHAT!