OT - Bills - Mitch Morse

I know a bunch of us were hoping for him to sign with us in the offseason.

Bills C Mitch Morse is in the league's concussion protocol.

Consider Morse week to week. Concussions have plagued him in the past, so this is obviously pretty concerning. Morse missed six weeks with a concussion last season and was sidelined for a playoff game in 2016. The Bills made Morse the league's highest-paid center in the offseason.

Jul 31, 2019, 9:33 AM ET
  • Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

I really thought we missed out on Matt Paradis. 9 million a year for a center who PFF has ranked top 3 in the last 2 years. He was also in NY and apparently we didn't even send him an offer. 

A cover up story comes out that he didn't want to leave the country and he was only in NY for an interview. If felt more like we were linked to him heavy before free agency and surprisingly with all the cap room and need for OL we don't even make an offer?  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 3

1 minute ago, Rsherman28 said:

I really thought we missed out on Matt Paradis. 9 million a year for a center who PFF has ranked top 3 in the last 2 years. He was also in NY and apparently we didn't even send him an offer. 

A cover up story comes out that he didn't want to leave the country and he was only in NY for an interview. If felt more like we were linked to him heavy before free agency and surprisingly with all the cap room and need for OL we don't even make an offer?  

Dude might have to retire soon...

His brain is going to be mush

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

Just now, Rsherman28 said:

Because he's a country boy and would have never played in NYC. With him and Morse one concussion away from selling insurance, Harrison was probably our best option.

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

16 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Harrison was probably our best option.

I’m not knocking Harrison at all but best option might not be the most accurate way to describe him. First, it’s not like if you brought any other guy in you would have to move Harrison, he is used to being a back up and is cheap. 

Im happy we didn’t make Morse the top paid center in the NFL and after this move it looks to be the smart one. 

Rolling with Harrison is definitely a high risk move that we will see pays off or not. I personally don’t think he is as bad as people may think, but even at best he is an average lineman to me. Paradis or even Morse when healthy are one of the best centers in the league, pairing them with KO could have been game changing. But I’m optimistic about this year regardless, probably because I have no choice ?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

38 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Meanwhile, maybe like Favre he had never realized that the Jets DON'T ACTUALLY PLAY IN NEW YORK CITY.  It wasn't until Favre got here on the private jet and was shown that he could go hunting in northwest NJ that the Jets became more palatable to him.

Another note - If you listen to Darnold's interview yesterday he was pretty clear that he likes spending most of his time about an hour outside NYC and just getting to the city occasionally for a night out.  As a guy who lives out West now I can speak from experience that almost everyone who has never been to NJ thinks the entire state is like Newark and that when you go there it's like a Soparanos episode.

Oh you're totally right. As you said, it's quite another thing to convince a guy from outside the area that there is an unpaved world 20 minutes from NYC.

The whole OL is being torn down in a year. If Harrison works out, it's gravy, cheap and a guy Sam will continue to be comfortable with. Paradis' feelings aside, he would have been a stopgap and Morse has a major concussion history that turned the team off.

I realize C is a big ?, but there was no one else out there. Bring back the guy who already has chemistry with our line.

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

I’m not knocking Harrison at all but best option might not be the most accurate way to describe him. First, it’s not like if you brought any other guy in you would have to move Harrison, he is used to being a back up and is cheap. 

Im happy we didn’t make Morse the top paid center in the NFL and after this move it looks to be the smart one. 

Rolling with Harrison is definitely a high risk move that we will see pays off or not. I personally don’t think he is as bad as people may think, but even at best he is an average lineman to me. Paradis or even Morse when healthy are one of the best centers in the league, pairing them with KO could have been game changing. But I’m optimistic about this year regardless, probably because I have no choice ?

I just don't think Paradis was ever coming here and Morse was too big of a risk. Given what else was out there, Harrison was the only logical move that we could easily cut ties with next year.

• WTF? 1

1 hour ago, Rsherman28 said:

Paradis also had injury concerns, though many of us including Gase wanted him.

• Upvote 1

He's reportedly fine and it's overabundance of caution on the Bills end. He's been working out on the sidelines so he went immediately to stage 3 of the concussion protocol and it apparently took days to notice he even had one. 

Also, Spencer Long is not their backup Center. He's their 3rd center. 

• Post of the Week 1

Buffalo Bills training camp 2019: Mitch Morse in concussion protocol | History of concussions detailed

Updated 10:41 AM; Today 10:02 AM
Offensive lineman Mitch Morse gets timed on an agility drill during Day 5 of Buffalo Bills training camp at St. John Fisher College on Tuesday, July 30, 2019.

Stephen D. Cannerelli | Contributing Photographer

Offensive lineman Mitch Morse gets timed on an agility drill during Day 5 of Buffalo Bills training camp at St. John Fisher College on Tuesday, July 30, 2019.

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

The Buffalo Bills’ offensive line play could be the key to the offense taking the next step as a collective unit in 2019.

That’s why the Bills went out in free agency and made Mitch Morse the highest-paid center in football. Morse, 27, is supposed to be the key component to Buffalo’s revamped offensive line and make life easier for second-year quarterback Josh Allen.

Centers in their prime don’t always hit the market, but the Kansas City Chiefs let Morse go this offseason. Part of the believed reasoning behind the move was due to Morse’s injury history. In his four-year career, Morse has only played a full 16 game schedule once. One of the biggest reasons Morse has missed time throughout his career is due to concussions.

Unfortunately for the Bills, Morse’s concussion history is coming into play early in his Bills tenure. Sean McDermott told the media before Wednesday’s training camp practice that the center is currently in the league’s concussion protocol.

Morse’s first concussion came in a game against the Bills in 2015. He would miss one game before returning to the lineup. In the regular season finale that season, Morse would suffer a second concussion that would knock him out of the playoffs. The center did not suffer any concussions in 2016 or 2017, but would suffer his third NFL concussion in 2018. Morse’s third concussion kept him out of action for five games.

Including today’s practice, Morse has missed three of the Bills’ six training camp practices as the new look offensive line tries to jell before the start of the regular season.

Chris Brown of the Bills noted that the center is currently in step three of the five step plan to return to participation based on the fact that he was taking part in cardiovascular conditioning drills.

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Still? It's been 3 weeks.  I hope this is precautionary for this guy in terms of his longterm health....but this doesn't sound good for him.

The rumors say that if the regular season started today then he'd be ready to go, but that the Bills backup Feliciano has been playing well so they're in no rush to move Morse along and prefer to give him the time to ensure he's not affected. 

• Upvote 2

The Week 1 matchup with Buffalo will be interesting.  I was thinking of starting a thread as we get closer to that game but the "trenches" battle is where the game could be won.  Think of it this way...

Bills Offense / Jets Defense

• Bills bring in Morse and upgrade their OLine
  • Jets draft QW, still have Leo, McClendon, Anderson

Jets Offense / Bills Defense

• Bills draft Ed Oliver, make some modest upgrades
  • Jets trade for K. Osemele, sign Kalil

Each team has spent a lot of money and both used their 1st Round picks on their O and D lines.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Week 1 matchup with Buffalo will be interesting.  I was thinking of starting a thread as we get closer to that game but the "trenches" battle is where the game could be won.  Think of it this way...

Bills Offense / Jets Defense

• Bills bring in Morse and upgrade their OLine
  • Jets draft QW, still have Leo, McClendon, Anderson

Jets Offense / Bills Defense

• Bills draft Ed Oliver, make some modest upgrades
  • Jets trade for K. Osemele, sign Kalil

Each team has spent a lot of money and both used their 1st Round picks on their O and D lines.

We will win 24-10.  Josh allen will be overwhelmed by greg williams aggressive blits schemes and will turn the ball over.

Its a great game to take the jets and put big money on them.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

We will win 24-10.  Josh allen will be overwhelmed by greg williams aggressive blits schemes and will turn the ball over.

Its a great game to take the jets and put big money on them.

I like your optimism.

The Jets already have my heart....they're not getting my wallet! :P 

• Haha 3

On 7/31/2019 at 5:24 PM, jetstream23 said:

Meanwhile, maybe like Favre he had never realized that the Jets DON'T As a guy who lives out West now I can speak from experience that almost everyone who has never been to NJ thinks the entire state is like Newark and that when you go there it's like a Soparanos episode.

NJ is a tale of two worlds. Armpit cities, amazing, verdant tracks of land in between.

On 7/31/2019 at 6:43 PM, nycdan said:

Kevin Mawae snapped better with his left hand (he's a righty) than Long did with his right hand.  Those were the days.

Maybe he was amphibious.

• Haha 1