Jump to content

Trent Williams Redskins LT: MERGED


kelly

Recommended Posts

Since entering the NFL, Washington Redskins left tackle Trent Williams has been one of the premier offensive linemen in football.

Williams has earned seven consecutive Pro Bowl selections as the anchor of Washington’s offensive line. He also earned second-team All-Pro honors in 2015 for his efforts on the field. Not only has Williams been a dominant force, but he has also assumed a leadership role as one of the Redskins’ captains since 2011.Williams has survived a handful of regime changes in Washington. Given his production on the field and importance off of it, it always seemed like a given that the Oklahoma product would be a Redskin for the duration of his career. Now, it’s unlikely he will be with the organization much longer.

Earlier this year, Williams had a growth removed from his head. Somewhere along the line, Williams became unhappy with the team’s handling of his medical situation and now, according to multiple reports, he wants out of Washington.With Williams unhappy in D.C., there’s a chance he will be dealt this summer. There will likely be a ripe market for the 30-year-old tackle and the Jets should be one of the teams vying for his services.

If newly-hired general manager Joe Douglas wants to make a splash right off the bat, this is the way to do it. New York is trending upward and already made one addition to its offensive line this offseason by trading for Kelechi Osemele. Williams would be an upgrade over incumbent left tackle Kelvin Beachum and would provide Sam Darnold with an elite blindside protector to keep him off his back.Beachum only has one year left on his contract, so the Jets could move on from him without having to worry about massive salary cap ramifications. The assumption is that 2019 third-round pick Chuma Edoga will take over for Beachum next season, but New York should not pass on the opportunity to land one of the best left tackles in the game because of Edoga’s presence. Keep in mind, Douglas didn’t draft Edoga.

The Jets won’t have to worry about Williams costing a fortune, either. He is under contract for two more years and has $24 million coming his way. Considering what Williams brings to the field, that could be considered a team-friendly deal. Williams is also not holding out of mandatory OTAs because he wants a new contract, so the Jets would not have to worry about re-upping him.If the goal is to win in 2019, these are the kinds of moves Douglas has to pursue. New York’s offense is primed to take it to the next level in 2019 and a player like Williams could help Adam Gase’s offense run to perfection up front. Assuming Williams remains steadfast in his desire to be traded, the Jets should do everything in their power to bring him to the Big Apple.

>   https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/10/new-york-jets-washington-redskins-left-tackle-trent-williams-trade/

  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

Can't wait until this thread devolves into a guessing game where each poster describes what he or she believes is fair value for Trent Williams without actually having any consequences for their suggested trade compensation. 

me 2  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, kelly said:

Since entering the NFL, Washington Redskins left tackle Trent Williams has been one of the premier offensive linemen in football.

Williams has earned seven consecutive Pro Bowl selections as the anchor of Washington’s offensive line. He also earned second-team All-Pro honors in 2015 for his efforts on the field. Not only has Williams been a dominant force, but he has also assumed a leadership role as one of the Redskins’ captains since 2011.Williams has survived a handful of regime changes in Washington. Given his production on the field and importance off of it, it always seemed like a given that the Oklahoma product would be a Redskin for the duration of his career. Now, it’s unlikely he will be with the organization much longer.

Earlier this year, Williams had a growth removed from his head. Somewhere along the line, Williams became unhappy with the team’s handling of his medical situation and now, according to multiple reports, he wants out of Washington.With Williams unhappy in D.C., there’s a chance he will be dealt this summer. There will likely be a ripe market for the 30-year-old tackle and the Jets should be one of the teams vying for his services.

If newly-hired general manager Joe Douglas wants to make a splash right off the bat, this is the way to do it. New York is trending upward and already made one addition to its offensive line this offseason by trading for Kelechi Osemele. Williams would be an upgrade over incumbent left tackle Kelvin Beachum and would provide Sam Darnold with an elite blindside protector to keep him off his back.Beachum only has one year left on his contract, so the Jets could move on from him without having to worry about massive salary cap ramifications. The assumption is that 2019 third-round pick Chuma Edoga will take over for Beachum next season, but New York should not pass on the opportunity to land one of the best left tackles in the game because of Edoga’s presence. Keep in mind, Douglas didn’t draft Edoga.

The Jets won’t have to worry about Williams costing a fortune, either. He is under contract for two more years and has $24 million coming his way. Considering what Williams brings to the field, that could be considered a team-friendly deal. Williams is also not holding out of mandatory OTAs because he wants a new contract, so the Jets would not have to worry about re-upping him.If the goal is to win in 2019, these are the kinds of moves Douglas has to pursue. New York’s offense is primed to take it to the next level in 2019 and a player like Williams could help Adam Gase’s offense run to perfection up front. Assuming Williams remains steadfast in his desire to be traded, the Jets should do everything in their power to bring him to the Big Apple.

>   https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2019/06/10/new-york-jets-washington-redskins-left-tackle-trent-williams-trade/

 

 

the big bang theory yes GIF by CBS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Philly plays Washington twice a year, so Douglas probably has a pretty good read on Williams. Also, the next draft supposedly has a pretty good amount of OL guys, especially OT's. As he really gets to know the Jets talent level, he may or may not be willing to part with picks.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RichardTodd27 said:

Do they need D-line help? How about Leonard Williams straight up for him?

A trade like that would make me feel much better about drafting Quinen (when it was already a position of strength).

With addition of Sweat this past draft, they may have one of the best D lines in the NFL.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, section314 said:

Philly plays Washington twice a year, so Douglas probably has a pretty good read on Williams. Also, the next draft supposedly has a pretty good amount of OL guys, especially OT's. As he really gets to know the Jets talent level, he may or may not be willing to part with picks.

I don’t think he’ll part with a high pick(which it’ll take a decent 2nd rounder to do it) so soon into his tenure here.

but hell he MIGHT. 

Thats the exciting part, as good of hands as people say we are in, we still don’t know Joe Douglas the GM.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I don’t think he’ll part with a high pick(which it’ll take a decent 2nd rounder to do it) so soon into his tenure here.

but hell he MIGHT. 

Thats the exciting part, as good of hands as people say we are in, we still don’t know Joe Douglas the GM.

So true. As I posted in another thread yesterday, it swill be interesting to see what type of a role, if any, Jon Toth will have going forward. Philly signed him as a FA, he's young, and was pretty highly regarded coming out three years ago. Obviously health is a major concern.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Trent Williams hasn't missed many games but he has been injured a ton recently 

he was elite at one point but chances are he's done as a player. Maybe a season or two left 

30 sounds young but he's beat up bad 

he's 30.. going on 35   :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, bitonti said:

Trent Williams hasn't missed many games but he has been injured a ton recently 

he was elite at one point but chances are he's done as a player. Maybe a season or two left 

30 sounds young but he's beat up bad 

I don't know.  Living down here, I'd say he's missed plenty of games.  He has missed 3, 6, 4 and 2 over the last 4.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Darnold is on the clock and Jets run a 3-4 defense and have perhaps 5-6 DL that are starting quality (Leo, McClendon, Henry, Quinnen, hopefully Shepherd and Foley) but need OL (dubious at C in particular) and a CB.

If it was me, I would be trading a DL and/or draftpicks for OL and CB.  

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, bitonti said:

Trent Williams hasn't missed many games but he has been injured a ton recently 

he was elite at one point but chances are he's done as a player. Maybe a season or two left 

30 sounds young but he's beat up bad 

I was about to post that I’d be cool with a 2nd and Beachum for Trent Williams...then I read your post.

Yea maybe he’s an old 30. Seeing a guy like Jason Peters play well into his mid 30s gives me hope. But like you said Trent has been beating up a bit in his career.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know.  Living down here, I'd say he's missed plenty of games.  He has missed 3, 6, 4 and 2 over the last 4.  

the injuries he was playing through would be season ending for other guys 

the headline was always Williams is questionable with a torn whatever he will need surgery after the season

and he just played through it... those numbers could have been in double digits each year

he's a warrior but they shot him up with whatever to get him out there and it takes a toll  

or put it another way the Bill Wither's "Use Me" was perfect choice for Any Given Sunday 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Redskins are "having trade discussions" regarding holdout LT Trent Williams.

Howe notes the Patriots are expected to be in the mix if Williams is made available. Williams has stated he will not play again for the Redskins, so Washington may now be willing to deal the 31-year-old after signing OT Donald Penn. Health has always been Williams' biggest obstacle, but when on the field he's truly an elite left tackle. There would be plenty of suitors. Williams is under contract the next two seasons at base salaries of $11 million and $12.5 million.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...