Trent Williams Redskins LT: MERGED

kelly

I'm already excited about this upcoming season, if we managed to trade for Trent Williams i'd be ecstatic. It seems like a good spot for him considering the Jets have one of the best medical staffs' in the league and how he was handled by the medical staff in Washington was a straight up slap in his face.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The Athletic's Jeff Howe reports the Redskins are "having trade discussions" regarding holdout LT Trent Williams.

Howe notes the Patriots are expected to be in the mix if Williams is made available. Williams has stated he will not play again for the Redskins, so Washington may now be willing to deal the 31-year-old after signing OT Donald Penn. Health has always been Williams' biggest obstacle, but when on the field he's truly an elite left tackle. There would be plenty of suitors. Williams is under contract the next two seasons at base salaries of $11 million and $12.5 million.

Patriots only $9MM under the cap and Williams will probably want more money if he moves.  I guess Brady will have to take another 'pay-cut'.  Coincidentally a large order for TB12 supplements will follow within the week. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

We have been ignoring the OL for far too long so expect to overpay. 

Would you mind if we over payed? 

I don't think Douglas is going to get fleeced but I wouldn't mind considering the point you just made about the OL being ignored for so long.  

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

Yes, but giving up a 2nd is dumb. Trent is had 2 down years in a row, and is now looking to get a overpay. There is no team that is going to give up a 2nd for him... I see most teams around a 4th rounder. That is why I think a 3rd gets it done

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Would you mind if we over payed? 

I don't think Douglas is going to get fleeced but I wouldn't mind considering the point you just made about the OL being ignored for so long.  

No i'm all about winning and definitely protecting or franchise QB depends on what you consider overpaying I consider a #2 draft pick overpaying. 

13 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Far too much... You are going to have to pay him stupid money. 

That's what quality LT's cost:  Stupid money.  So who cares?  Get Williams, then let Beachum walk after the season OR try to trade him.  Boom, upgrade at LT who is only 1 year older than Beachum. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jetsfan80 said:

That's what quality LT's cost:  Stupid money.  So who cares?  Get Williams, then let Beachum walk after the season OR try to trade him.  Boom, upgrade at LT who is only 1 year older than Beachum. 

Because the draft is flush with OL next year... you don't give up a 2nd for a guy on the downside of his career that is going to demand a top 10 paycheck

• Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Howe notes the Patriots are expected to be in the mix if Williams is made available. Williams has stated he will not play again for the Redskins, so Washington may now be willing to deal the 31-year-old after signing OT Donald Penn. Health has always been Williams' biggest obstacle, but when on the field he's truly an elite left tackle. There would be plenty of suitors. Williams is under contract the next two seasons at base salaries of $11 million and $12.5 million.

@Raideraholic - where are you!!?!?????!???!!!!!??????!!!!!!???!

• Upvote 1

Yeah this is the sort of transition away from Beachum that would be worth throwing up a 3rd or 4th rounder. 

Beachum moves to RT (or traded), Shell is cheap depth, Edoga takes over at RG or RT next year and we only have to replace one position and possibly upgrade center if Harrison falters for 2021. 

Do it Tanny. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, prime21 said:

Even if we don’t get him, I’m glad Mac is not the GM involved in this potential deal.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Ironically, the only thing Mac was good at was getting fair to positive value from trades.

I wouldn't give up much more than a 4th this year. Draft OL next year. The scout team led by Joe Douglas (former OL) have all been upgraded with an eye towards the trenches; let them show us what they're worth. Throwing away a draft pick on a 31 year old with injury history who wants to get PAID doesn't seem like good business.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Or.....don't?

We have a brand spanking new GM, a well regarded one.  He should be able to take any "overpay" scenario's costs (say, a 2nd round pick) and convert that next draft into a shiny new 10-year O-Line starter.  

We do not need to overeach like 2019 is our last gasp at a title. 

We are a young team, looking ahead, not behind.  We don;t need to solve every problem this year.  We can afford to wait, and do it right under Douglas, without spending a bajillion dollars and high draft picks for the privilege of short term rental-types.

Smart management says pass on Williams at high cost, and investment of those assets in the future for long-term pieces for long-term success.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, Warfish said:

Or.....don't?

We have a brand spanking new GM, a well regarded one.  He should be able to take any "overpay" scenario's costs (say, a 2nd round pick) and convert that next draft into a shiny new 10-year O-Line starter.  

We are a young team, looking ahead, not behind.  We don;t need to solve every problem this year.  We can afford to wait, and do it right under Douglas, without spending a bajillion dollars and high draft picks for the privilege of short term rental-types.

Smart management says pass on Williams at high cost, and investment of those assets in the future for long-term pieces for long-term success.

Beachum is 30 and an impending FA. Is a 3rd rounder worth a massive upgrade on the line and to solve LT for 2 years? Honest question because I don't know the answer. 

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Or.....don't?

This is my thought too especially after seeing he has 2 years left at a top 7 LT salary still on his deal. How much more does he need to be happy?

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

This is my thought too especially after seeing he has 2 years left at a top 7 LT salary still on his deal. How much more does he need to be happy?

https://overthecap.com/position/left-tackle/

Doesn't sound like his gripe is money, moreso how the Skins handled a medical issue of his. Certainly sounds like a guy who has just soured on an organization.

And can you blame him? Seems like a weird ass place with a psycho like Snyder in charge and having a friggin racial slur as your team name. They've been football purgatory since the 80s. It's not that surprising he could want out. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/31/report-washington-having-trade-talks-regarding-trent-williams/

• Upvote 1