Trent Williams Redskins LT: MERGED

kelly

1 minute ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Doesn't sound like his gripe is money. More like something happened that soured him on his time in Washington. Seems like a weird ass place with a guy like Snyder in charge and having a friggin racial slur as your team name. They've been football purgatory since the 80s. It's not that surprising he could want out. 

He didn't like the way they handled an injury, if memory serves.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Doesn't sound like his gripe is money, moreso how the Skins handled a medical issue of his. More like something happened that soured him on his time in Washington. Seems like a weird ass place with a guy like Snyder in charge and having a friggin racial slur as your team name. They've been football purgatory since the 80s. It's not that surprising he could want out. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/31/report-washington-having-trade-talks-regarding-trent-williams/

But it started as a holdout for more money

Or.....don't?
We have a brand spanking new GM, a well regarded one.  He should be able to take any "overpay" scenario's costs (say, a 2nd round pick) and convert that next draft into a shiny new 10-year O-Line starter.  
We do not need to overeach like 2019 is our last gasp at a title. 
We are a young team, looking ahead, not behind.  We don;t need to solve every problem this year.  We can afford to wait, and do it right under Douglas, without spending a bajillion dollars and high draft picks for the privilege of short term rental-types.
Smart management says pass on Williams at high cost, and investment of those assets in the future for long-term pieces for long-term success.

This is the smart GM post

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

46 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Because the draft is flush with OL next year... you don't give up a 2nd for a guy on the downside of his career that is going to demand a top 10 paycheck

I agree with this.  Williams is an upgrade over beachum, but he is also 31 and has not played a full 16 game season since 2013.  OL can play into their mid-30s, but with his injury history I wonder if he can go for 3 or 4 more years. 

• Upvote 2

51 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Because the draft is flush with OL next year... you don't give up a 2nd for a guy on the downside of his career that is going to demand a top 10 paycheck 

Is it flush with LT's?  And will we be able to get one given that we're expecting to have a nice season (mid-late draft pick) and also need to be looking at Corner, EDGE and WR in the next draft?

I get it.  I want a young franchise LT too.  But they aren't easy to find. 

I'm also not advocating giving up a 2nd for Williams.  If he can be had for, say, a 3rd or a 3rd & 6th....now you're talkin'.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Patriots only $9MM under the cap and Williams will probably want more money if he moves.  I guess Brady will have to take another 'pay-cut'.  Coincidentally a large order for TB12 supplements will follow within the week. 

Before too long Brady and Jizzelle will be paying the Patriots 10 miliion a year for Tommy to play. 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Doesn't sound like his gripe is money, moreso how the Skins handled a medical issue of his. Certainly sounds like a guy who has just soured on an organization.

And can you blame him? Seems like a weird ass place with a psycho like Snyder in charge and having a friggin racial slur as your team name. They've been football purgatory since the 80s. It's not that surprising he could want out. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/07/31/report-washington-having-trade-talks-regarding-trent-williams/

What have we been in then?

9 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Is it flush with LT's?  And will we be able to get one given that we're expecting to have a nice season (mid-late draft pick) and also need to be looking at Corner, EDGE and WR in the next draft?

I get it.  I want a young franchise LT too.  But they aren't easy to find. 

I'm also not advocating giving up a 2nd for Williams.  If he can be had for, say, a 3rd or a 3rd & 6th....now you're talkin'.

Well that is what I was discussing... A 2nd rounder is an overpay for him. Not worth it. I agree with a 3rd and thats still high. Williams hasn't played a full year in a long time, wants to get paid higher then his 7th highest salary now for a LT, has had 2 down years in a row and is holding out now 3 years into a 5 year extension. 

You jumped in about paying too much... a 2nd rounder as he suggested is dumb, and no team is going to pay that.

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Might as well get more money out of it if you're gonna be in a place where you're not happy, no?  Also an easy way to try to get yourself traded. 

I agree. But he is asking for more money. He is the 7th highest paid LT in the league and was graded as the 21st LT in the league by PFF last year. Seems like a pain in the ass. 

38 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

What contract would he want.... He is already the 7th highest paid LT in the league at 13.2 Mil per year. This means he wants another contract probably around 15-16 ++ Mil per year for the next 5 years.

75 Million? 80 Million? What would make this guy happy if 13.2 and a top 10 salary is not enough.

If I'm not mistaken, it's not about money.  He's lost trust and respect for the organization.  He does not want to play for the Redskins at any cost.  He blames their staff for mishandling his injury. 

• Upvote 2

FWIW - I would not do this trade if it's anything more than a 5th round pick.  He's too injury prone at this age and quite honestly, I dont think he does enough to really make that big of a difference.  Beachum is a fine player.  Yeah, he's not Williams but Williams isnt reliable and nothing is worse than an unreliable T, especially one you traded away assets for.

• Upvote 2

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Agreed, but its also money

I'm just repeating what I've heard.  It's hard for me to think that Williams thinks he deserves more money when he hasnt played a full season since to 2013 and hasnt played over 800 snaps since 2015.  He's not reliable.  You dont pay guys more money than they're already making if they're not reliable.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Skins haven't been to a conference championship game since 1991. Even in heartbreak, Jets have given us more exciting moments than those bums. 

Over the last 20 years they were pretty much bottom feeders in  the NFCe, but not always a duck.

11 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

EA03CEAXkAIzYqG?format=jpg&name=medium

Both Eagles tackles in the top 3 for fewest pressures since 2015? Will be interesting to see Foles in Jacksonville and Wentz playing a full year. No wonder Wentz looked so good, he is most definitely talented, but with an Oline lile that I feel like Darnold would put up similar numbers.

• Upvote 1