Trent Williams Redskins LT: MERGED

kelly

A player(s) for Williams trade I think would work better.

The Redskins could use a stop gap at LT themselves. So, Beachum has value for them. Also, they seem thin at LB which we seem to be in good shape at.

Playing GM, I would do a Beachum, Williamson and a 5th round pick for Trent Williams. It works capwise for them and they don't throw their QBs to the wolves. We get an upgrade at LT for the next 2 or 3 years and trade from an area of excess. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 4

6 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

The Redskins could use a stop gap at LT themselves.

They just signed Donald Penn so I don't think they would be looking or even willing to take on Beachum and his contract.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Rolloffjet said:

Why is everyone trying to trade Avery Williamson just because Cashman has a good camp don’t mean we should trade one of our young better players. He was a stud last year now teaming up cj is great. Cashman will get his chance in nickel and dime why rush him in. I understand Trent Williams is good but just say no to trading Avery 

We currently have $21M invested in 2 LBs. Not the best use of resources. I like him and he has value. It's not like we are giving him away. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

We currently have $21M invested in 2 LBs. Not the best use of resources. I like him and he has value. It's not like we are giving him away. 

Every team invest differently and at certain points of your roster you can get away with overpaying in a particular position. Yes, I agree with you 21 million for inside linebackers is high. 

However, if you draft well or develop your players constantly, you can afford to make moves like the Mosley move. Our front 7 is stout, if we finish with a top 10 defense against the run, and get added pressure from guys like Henry Anderson, Brandon Copeland, and even Polite then we would be more than ok with how our resources were used.

Williamson was an absolute monster for us last year, moving him to weak side linebacker to pair with Mosley is exciting. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Kalil and Osemele are two guys in the twilight of their careers who are physically past their primes but are mentally the EXACT types of dudes we need on the line this year.   I'd put Beachum, an average player, in a similar category of experience even if he's much less talented.  But we need this right now for Sam.  These guys are the right kind of "hold the fort" players until Douglas can work some offseason magic via FA and the Draft next Spring.  There will be an infusion of youthful talent come 2020 with Joey D in charge....but I like these moves right now.

I don't think I'd go after Trent Williams unless the price was cheap (think a 3rd round pick or later).  I know depth is a concern but I'd hate to burn a Day 1 or 2 pick on yet another stopgap, even if he has maybe 3 years left.  We need our next D'Brick or Jason Fabini at LT.  A young talented guy who we can keep for a decade.

It'll only be good for a year or two but I'm stoked on Kalil and Osemele here.  Having those two together in the middle of the line could really pay some dividends.  It's unrealistic but I have visions of Mawae and Brandon Moore playing next to each other and how great that was.

I’m hoping 1 of our backup QBs shines in preseason & projects as a future starting QB in other teams eyes.

It happens all the time in this QB desperate league especially with injuries. Maybe not this year but during Sams tenure we send off a QB for a 2nd or 3rd rounded. 

10 hours ago, GreenFish said:

The Redskins could use a stop gap at LT themselves. So, Beachum has value for them. Also, they seem thin at LB which we seem to be in good shape at.

Playing GM, I would do a Beachum, Williamson and a 5th round pick for Trent Williams. It works capwise for them and they don't throw their QBs to the wolves. We get an upgrade at LT for the next 2 or 3 years and trade from an area of excess. 

That would be a terrible trade for us IMO. I'm on board for the Beachum and a 5th part but throwing in Williamson as if he's Bret Ratlif is not smart.  I want Trent Williams as much as anyone here, but not at the expense of the overall team. This Cashman excitement is nice and all, but let's see if the kid can make it through on NFL season before we go creating holes on the team. The D is going to have a hard enough time accounting for the CB situation.  And didn't the skins just cut Mason Foster for no reason?  They must think they are good at LB anyway. 

The Beachum or even Shell and a low pick is smart for the Skins as it at least fills the void with a quality starter on the OL.  As a matter of fact I actually think this is what will happen. They need to protect Haskins and losing Williams for a pick next year puts the young QB in danger this season. Beachum is better than a only getting a pick next year IMO. 

For us, Beachum was going to be gone in a year or two anyway. It's just a rare opportunity to upgrade the position with the same yearly scenario. I think Douglas pulls this off. I'd even give Beachum and a 4th. 

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Kalil and Osemele are two guys in the twilight of their careers who are physically past their primes but are mentally the EXACT types of dudes we need on the line this year.   I'd put Beachum, an average player, in a similar category of experience even if he's much less talented.  But we need this right now for Sam.  These guys are the right kind of "hold the fort" players until Douglas can work some offseason magic via FA and the Draft next Spring.  There will be an infusion of youthful talent come 2020 with Joey D in charge....but I like these moves right now.

I don't think I'd go after Trent Williams unless the price was cheap (think a 3rd round pick or later).  I know depth is a concern but I'd hate to burn a Day 1 or 2 pick on yet another stopgap, even if he has maybe 3 years left.  We need our next D'Brick or Jason Fabini at LT.  A young talented guy who we can keep for a decade.

It'll only be good for a year or two but I'm stoked on Kalil and Osemele here.  Having those two together in the middle of the line could really pay some dividends.  It's unrealistic but I have visions of Mawae and Brandon Moore playing next to each other and how great that was.

Osmele is not in the twilight of his career that's just dumb

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GreenFish said:

Why is everyone so hot to throw in Williamson.. He was the jets best LB last year... That's just dumb

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Why is everyone so hot to throw in Williamson.. He was the jets best LB last year... That's just dumb

Because some people here have been proselytizing that DTs, ILBs and Safeties are worthless positions for so long that they have converts.  Granted our draft philosophy has been quite head-scratching for a decade or so, but the overreaction is a bit much.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

34 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Because some people here have been proselytizing that DTs, ILBs and Safeties are worthless positions for so long that they have converts.  Granted our draft philosophy has been quite head-scratching for a decade or so, but the overreaction is a bit much.

I think its a different overreaction.  We are hearing a lot of favorable tweets about Cashman and thinking that, after 10 days of camp, Williamson is expendable.  I hope Cashman is as good as advertised over the last few days.  If he can contriubte on STs and as a back-up his rookie year with Williamson in front of him, that would be great.  If, after 16 games, he proves that he can start in and Williamson is expendable, then maybe we get an asset for him next offseason.  To move Williamson now because of Cashman would be a mistake IMO. 

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 3

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

I think its a different overreaction.  We are hearing a lot of favorable tweets about Cashman and thinking that, after 10 days of camp, Williamson is expendable.  I hope Cashman is as good as advertised over the last few days.  If he can contriubte on STs and as a back-up his rookie year with Williamson in front of him, that would be great.  If, after 16 games, he proves that he can start in and Williamson is expendable, then maybe we get an asset for him next offseason.  To move Williamson now because of Cashman would be a mistake IMO. 

Like Cashman a lot.  But it would be stupid to move Williamson even if Cashman has a great camp.  Might want to see it Cashman's shoulders are going to hold up for a season.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 3

5 minutes ago, flgreen said:

Like Cashman a lot.  But it would be stupid to move Williamson even if Cashman has a great camp.  Might want to see it Cashman's shoulders are going to hold up for a season.

Didn't want to mention the shoulder concerns in my post for risk of being labelled a hater or SOJF.  Its a legit concern.  Especially for a LB.

11 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Agree we should be revamping with younger players, but the process is draft them and then cut loose older/proven players rather than the other way around.  Not to mention come Feb/March 2020 the Jets are likely to reinvest in another veteran LT anyway (extending Beachum or signing someone else), since they aren't going to head into the 2020 draft without any real LT starter already in place for the season. 

Depends on the reason you're upgrading Beachum for Williams. Giving Darnold the best line possible has value beyond just this season. But if the plan - however unlikely - would be to go with Williams for the next 4 seasons, which would further free up high draft picks for non-LT positions, then I agree with you that it could be a very shortsighted move. However the reality is Beachum is also a UFA next year (and so are Shell and Kalil) while Williams has another year left on his deal. Additionally, the $3MM cap difference between the two (in the event they were swapped as part of a deal) isn't significant enough to saddle Darnold / Bell with a lesser LT, and the non-guaranteed $12.5MM for the 2020 season is a whole lot less than the FA market will be for lesser players.

A more ideal scenario is have a really good (even if older) LT in place for 2020, look to draft one on days 1-2 that year, have that rookie play on the right side in 2020 (any GM is going to be more comfortable penciling in a marginal starter at RT than LT heading into the draft), with the hope/idea of moving him over to the blind side in 2021. If he struggles as a rookie, and if Williams is still reliable and playing at a high level, then look into extending the veteran before FA comes around. 

This is just the situation the team's in when the team has not seen fit to create a youth pipeline on the OL for half a decade (and doing a mostly poor job of it before that). However we'd all agree that like any move, it depends what Washington demands and how soon it'd happen. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

13 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Well said. Did you just drop a Jason Fabini reference there ? I see you ? lol 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Rsherman28 said:

Well said. Did you just drop a Jason Fabini reference there ? I see you ? lol 

Fabini wasn't elite but he was better than average and, even more importantly, he was a rock.  Gave us consistency and a lot of games at LT over the years.  Not bad for a 4th round pick!

• Upvote 3

15 hours ago, GreenFish said:

That is far too much to give up for a guy that was on a team in which three QBs got knocked out for the year,  some with broken legs. Beachum and a late rounder max. If the guy never gets hurt I’d be willing to up the ante but he isn’t reliable enough to trade two starters let alone two starters and a draft pick. 

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, Lith said:

Not to mention that you make that sort of move when you’re worried about cap space and we are certainly not their yet. It’s good having depth and if Cashman rocks out this year you probably consider it next year. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/3/2019 at 8:53 PM, Rolloffjet said:

Why is everyone trying to trade Avery Williamson just because Cashman has a good camp don’t mean we should trade one of our young better players. He was a stud last year now teaming up cj is great. Cashman will get his chance in nickel and dime why rush him in. I understand Trent Williams is good but just say no to trading Avery 

Theres also a huge difference from having a good camp, and playing well in preseason games.  Its more than getting your name mentioned 2 or three times after a handful of practices.  And then taking it to the point of trading away an Avery Williamson for an unknown.  An unknown with an injury history.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Here we go would be a hell of an addition

@Raideraholic - what do you say now about Williams starting week 1 for the Redskins?  

Oh and any updates on the Jaylen Ramsey trade?   Only a few more weeks to get that deal done, hearing any rumors about possible suitors?  I mean, you guaranteed that one to go down so I figured you must have some inside scoop to share.

• Haha 3

On 8/4/2019 at 7:09 AM, Raideraholic said:

I have the Jets solution for left tackle .  Get Joe Thomas to come out of retirement to play for the Jets. ( throw the Browns a late round pick).   Imagine an offense line of Lt Joe Thomas Lg K Osemele  C Ryan Kalil Rg T Compton Rt C Edoga

Imagine the Raiders in Vegas.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, JiF said:

@Raideraholic - what do you say now about Williams starting week 1 for the Redskins?  

Oh and any updates on the Jaylen Ramsey trade?   Only a few more weeks to get that deal done, hearing any rumors about possible suitors?  I mean, you guaranteed that one to go down so I figured you must have some inside scoop to share.

Let's see what the Redskins do with Trent Williams - he can sit out all year if he wants to. The Redskins don't get an offer for him they like, they don't have to do anything.( let's see if Trent Williams is a man of his words.

Jalen  Ramsey. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jalen-ramsey-has-two-teams-in-mind-if-he-ever-leaves-the-jaguars-including-a-divisional-rival/

Lets see four more weeks for something to happen.

53 minutes ago, SR24 said:

I'd give a 3rd, there's also no way in hell im trading Avery Williamson. Our oline would go from the weakest part of our team to a major strength

That would be making a lot of assumptions .  Ryan Kalil hasn’t been the same player he was the last couple of years.  K Osemele was traded because he was a bad fit in the Raiders zone blocking scheme( Jets run different zone blocking scheme?).   Trent Williams has missed a lot of games to injury.  ( when you’re on the wrong side of thirty that happens it’s a clear warning side the end might be near).

Again I understand the thought process why you would be happy with these additions on the offense line , but you really won’t know till this group plays together.

Lets all sing if I can turn back time.

42 minutes ago, Raideraholic said:

Let's see what the Redskins do with Trent Williams - he can sit out all year if he wants to. The Redskins don't get an offer for him they like, they don't have to do anything.( let's see if Trent Williams is a man of his words.

Jalen  Ramsey. https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jalen-ramsey-has-two-teams-in-mind-if-he-ever-leaves-the-jaguars-including-a-divisional-rival/

Lets see four more weeks for something to happen.

Oh, so now he just might sit out the whole year?  lol

And did you just post a link to an article where Jalen talks about teams he'd like to play for "if he ever leaves the Jags"?  lmfao.  You sure showed me! 

Have you ever been right about anything?  Ever?

• Haha 1