Gase with the media, not as bad as advertised

Now this can all change after they lose one game. But Gase seems to have matured. He is giving pretty honest answers right now.

New York Jets Head Coach Adam Gase, 7.31

Opening statement...

Two guys didn't finish practice today, Bucky Hodges and Jeremy Clark both went in with hamstrings. It looked like everybody else (finished), looked pretty good for everybody.

On his reaction after hearing Jamison Crowder was medically cleared...

Good. They didn't think it was anything severe but they just wanted to make sure, double check, they went through all the x-rays, MRI, all that kind of stuff, so it was good. You don't want to lose a guy this early.

On how close Marcus Maye's is to returning...

It's going to be day-to-day. It's just one of those things, it's just his body healing. There's nothing he can do to speed up the process. He's just waiting until it feels right to where he has all of his strength back. 

On him not participating as he did during mini-camp...

Because if he does that now, then he's on the active roster. Let's say, for whatever reason, worst case scenario, it gets into the season and they're like, “Well, he's not going to back for this many weeks,” then at least he's still on that PUP. We're not anticipating that, it's just part of the precaution.

On Maye's work ethic during his injury...

He's working extremely hard. He is killing in the weight room and the training room, everything he's done, he's been unbelievable in the classroom. The coaches have been very pleased with how hard he's been working. He's dying to get out there. He just knows, and we just keep reminding him, 'This is out of your control. When you have the right amount of strength, you'll be out there.'

On whether the offense outplayed the defense at today's practice...

I don't know. When we go back and watch it, I'm sure we'll see some stuff where it probably ended up being more even, it's just a little different because offense you have a result of either a touchdown or, when you're in the redzone like that. The defense had a lot of good plays today. Once we go through it, then we'll see how the run game stuff looked, I know that's the hardest thing for us against them is getting positive yards in the run game. 

On Sam Darnold's rhythm today...

He was mad after the first play and then I was like, ‘We're probably going to have a good day,’ because he makes one mistake and he locks in really good.

On if Darnold’s first play was a miscommunication...

He went the wrong way on a run play or something.

On the offense's potential...

Just being around these guys, I love the energy, I love how inquisitive they are, I love the fact that they're trying be detailed, they're trying to do everything they're coached to do. All the things our coaches are putting in and going over, they're trying to do everything right. They're trying to fix the mistake. If they have a mistake, they're trying to make sure it doesn't happen again. I think Sam's doing a good job of just keep bringing those guys together and working things after practice, before practice, talking in the meeting rooms so it's exciting for us to keep progressing this thing. We're not going to really know until games happen and somebody does something different and how are we going to react to that.

On his personal excitement...

I like the fact that our quarterback is pretty good.

On his evaluation of Darnold…

Just playing him last year, the game that we played up here. You saw it. As a rookie, you start seeing more stuff and it gets tough. Teams try to do different stuff, they try to rattle you, see what they can do and then he finished the season strong. What I've seen in the OTAs and training camp and how he commands everything and how he's learning and how he's trying to make sure that he knows everything inside and out so he can be the leader that he wants to be. That's very encouraging for all of us.

On the pass from Darnold to Robby Anderson after scrambling...

That was a good play. I didn't know how much longer he was going to hold onto the ball. You start thinking as a coach, you can see everything going on behind, guys chasing after him and you just start thinking, in a real game, of are you going to feel when a guy is too close. He has a good sense. He has a good sense where everybody is. He can feel, he doesn't necessarily have to see it for him to feel it.

On Darnold’s ability to throw on the run...

When he throws it, he can get his whole body into it. He torques his hips and that ball comes flying out of there and it's accurate. I haven't seen too many guys throw to the left the way he does.

On the quarterbacks not wearing red jerseys...

It was something that started in Denver. Peyton (Manning), he was like, "Why are we wearing different jerseys? The guys know not to hit us," and it just stayed that way.

On whether he trusts his defense to protect the quarterback...

This group? Yeah.

On if the touchdown to Crowder was a pick...

I cannot confirm nor deny.

On Crowder admitting it was a pick...

It was a good play. It was right on the goal line. I don't know. We've got the real officials out here. They didn't throw a flag.

On if there is any concern for Catanzaro's field goal kicks...

No. He had a really good Spring. That's kind of part of training camp. You start working through things and sometimes that happens. We've got an experienced guy that's had success. So, this group feels good about what he's done in the past, what he's done in this organization before and what he's done out here starting in the Spring. That's how we evaluate – we evaluate not just training camp, not the six days that you guys have got to see it and the four days in the Spring. We've got to use all our information that we've gathered since the Spring. That's part of training camp.

On the receiver depth...

Those guys are really working to get better. It's a young group and they're picking it up and making some plays. Do we need guys that come along fast? Yes, we need those guys to be ready to go because if something happens to one of those top three guys, somebody else will have to be able to step in there and we can't have any fall off.

On what he likes about Brian Poole...

The physicality. The way Gregg's (Williams) system is, that nickel is active, especially in the run game. He's sticking his face in the fan a lot. That's what Brian does. Brian does that, he plays the slot well, he's really good with his leverage, he doesn't make a lot of mistakes. Occasionally, if he gets beat, it's tight coverage and the guy made a good play. That's what Crowder, I feel like, really loves the fact that he's going against a legit dude every day. It's challenging and Brian's competitive. He fits into that group well.

On how he thinks Hines Ward is helping...

I think right from the get-go when Hines came in and – he was here two days before the rest of those guys got in there and he was going through the offense, he was creating a notebook for himself to learn the offense. Those guys came in and they saw how he was taking notes and how he was doing things and I think that was just the starting point to where they saw how he was preparing to get ready for training camp. That was the lead point and then everything that he talks about, whether it be the run game stuff – how important that is running at practice, making sure you're in dynamic shape, just all the little things that a lot of us were saying the same thing and then just another voice coming in saying the same thing. Sometimes, that's what it takes to trigger some of these guys. Shawn (Jefferson) and myself and Bo (Hardegree), we're saying the same things earlier and Hines is coming in and it's good to have that re-emphasis by a guy that played at the level that he played at. 

On if he has seen any change in Robby Anderson...

He's getting more comfortable doing the amount of routes we're doing with him. I really think that he's embraced it. He wants to do it. He's told you guys that he wants to be able to have some variety, but he's getting better at them. Occasionally, he'll have the first time you run something and it won't look right, but he wants to correct it, he wants to be able to do it. He doesn't want to be a one-dimensional player.

On if he's happy that the got the better of Gregg Williams today...

I just like that we're competing. We had some good situation stuff. That last period is always a tough one for both sides. We've got to do a lot of things together to make sure that we're both seeing stuff, so we work together to kind of script these situations and make sure that we're seeing our different looks. Sometimes he'll need to see some different routes or run combinations and I'm doing that for him and vice versa to where, hey, we need to see these coverages or these pressures. The way that we're kind of operating right now, me and him, we're competing in those call-up periods, but a lot of the time, we're just trying to make sure that we're getting both sides of the ball ready.

On if today was Darnold's best practice...

I don't know. I'd be able to tell you, probably, after I watch the film. But, I'm sure that there's going to be some things we need to clean up.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Maxman said:

On the quarterbacks not wearing red jerseys...

It was something that started in Denver. Peyton (Manning), he was like, "Why are we wearing different jerseys? The guys know not to hit us," and it just stayed that way.

To be fair, it was..."why? Does that bother you?" Lol. I think it was Cimini, so I fully endorse

6 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Honesty is the best policy. Wins and loses tell the truth, always.

The culture he wants to build seems to be way different than what we were told about Gase.

Dude legit doesn't give two _____ what anyone thinks about him personally. He seems to get it that Wins are all that matters. Refreshing.

Now after a tough loss he is going to rip people a new one (media people).

• Upvote 4

It’s easy now not having to defend bad decisions or explain losses but he seems honest and engaging. He also seems smart which we haven’t seen since Mangini. I know in today’s society intelligence isn’t always appreciated but I find it refreshing. Rex was anti intellectual and Bowles never said enough to know how smart he was. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

35 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

I heard Maye is changing his middle name to Dee.

That’s a pretty clever remark, but let me ask you a question.

Would you really feel better if he went out there, or if the CS put him out there before he was 100%?

What would you be saying if he/they did, and he suffered a set back or worse? Are the first 2 maybe even 3 weeks of camp that important in the big picture?

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

That’s a pretty clever remark, but let me ask you a question.

Would you really feel better if he went out there, or if the CS put him out there before he was 100%?

What would you be saying if he/they did, and he suffered a set back or worse? Are the first 2 maybe even 3 weeks of camp that important in the big picture?

I’m not advocating that he come backs early and gets hurt. I’m observing that he’s always injured. I think he’s one of those players that’s never going to be not injured.

The rub is I hated the pick, and back to back Safety’s picked was beyond stupid.

So far I’m not wrong, as the guy can’t get on the field, I sure he’s a good guy just a bad Draft selection.

• Upvote 1

When we hired him, Dan Lebatard said that the Miami reporters that really worked with Gase loved him because he was really open. Lebatard then had him on his radio show and Gase was funny, honest and engaging. So yeah looking beyond national headlines made this obvious.

• Upvote 2

This is why you hire a guy that has some success (made the playoffs & was close to another with an oft injured QB) because SOME PEOPLE actually learn from experience and get better at their job. We needed an offensive coach to bring Sam along but from I've witnessed so far in camp is that Gase brings a good mix of toughness & humor to the team & the players have quickly caught on that just maybe this cat knows what he's doing & these players want to win & believe they can with him leading them. I also LOVE the fact that Gase is very familiar with the AFC East. It's looking like Gase was perfect for Sam & Williams was the perfect choice to light a fire under this Jets defense azz. Very exciting knowing we'll at least see a 60 minute effort each week unlike the last 3 years.

• Upvote 1

Man we really did have a great offseason this is the most excited I’ve been for a season in a long time. New exciting staff, sick uniforms, added some speed and star power it’s gonna be a fun season boys 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Gase is being serious and bringing something to this team that it didn't have in years. Gase now has a QB in Darnold, Tannhill has been in the league how many years now? and the guy hasn't improved!!! With Darnold Gase is getting a QB that can carry this team. Gase is coming in  with a winning attitude and is being given the players to build from it. Look at the Dolphins and Jets the Dolphins had a win now mentality meanwhile the Jets were rebuilding a team. In the end the Dolphins are now rebuilding while the Jets are trying to get closer to the playoffs. Gase has been given a lot with the Jets that the Dolphins missed out.

• Thumb Down 1