MLB Trade Deadline

nycdan

All this buying and selling this late in the season feels a little disingenuous to me.   I find myself thinking the deadline should be before the All-Star break.  You go with the guys you started with.  All this moving around in late July and possibly completely changing the competitive balance in the races just doesn't feel right.  That is all.

30 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Teams absolutely hug their farm systems too much. If I were a Yankees fan today, I would be disappointed. This makes me happy.

The Yankees have more chips than they know what to do with. They used none of them.

Clint Frazier is ready for the majors.

Gio Urshella or Andujar, you don't need both of them.

Can't do it because New York \ New York but a trade for Syndergard seemed to make sense for both sides.

Cashman made a big statement today. If the Yankees win it all, this team is set for a run. They can trade chips in the offseason. But right now they have a real lot on:

• Severino coming back
  • Betances coming back
  • Stanton coming back
  • The other starting pitchers bouncing back

They have the talent but it really seemed like the perfect year to go all in and get a # 1 guy. The World Series is there, starting pitching is the only thing that could hold them back.

Really disappointed they didn't make a splash.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

The absolute BEST was Yankee fans calling into the Michael Kay show with trade proposals for Noah.

Let's give them a keg of Meisterbrau, maybe Greg Bird, some sh*tty prospect that can't field and a 29 year old catcher hitting .170 in A ball.

LaGrecca was right--if you want Noah, it should be as painful as childbirth.  It should hurt.

Yankee fans not only don't want to endure labor pains, they want to enjoy it.  Like the Mets should just give Noah away for free.

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

The Yankees have more chips than they know what to do with. They used none of them.

Can't do it because New York \ New York but a trade for Syndergard seemed to make sense for both sides.

Cashman made a big statement today. If the Yankees win it all, this team is set for a run. They can trade chips in the offseason. But right now they have a real lot on:

• Severino coming back
  • Betances coming back
  • Stanton coming back

They have the talent but it really seemed like the perfect year to go all in and get a # 1 guy. The World Series is there, starting pitching is the only thing that could hold them back.

Have to admire the Astros for going all in today. Having Greinke as your number 3 is pretty strong.

You are correct, the Yankees collection of young talent is admirable. But where do they all play?

The Astros/Yankees ALCS will be an interesting watch. Those 2 are far and away the best 2 teams in that league.

Dodgers certainly are in the NL, but they did not close the door today.

29 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

The absolute BEST was Yankee fans calling into the Michael Kay show with trade proposals for Noah.

Let's give them a keg of Meisterbrau, maybe Greg Bird, some sh*tty prospect that can't field and a 29 year old catcher hitting .170 in A ball.

LaGrecca was right--if you want Noah, it should be as painful as childbirth.  It should hurt.

Yankee fans not only don't want to endure labor pains, they want to enjoy it.  Like the Mets should just give Noah away for free.

Complaining about people that call in to talk radio?  I don't think they are actually representative of the fan base.  I am kind of glad the Yanks didn't cave.  We will see how big a mistake it was.  

18 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Complaining about people that call in to talk radio?  I don't think they are actually representative of the fan base.  I am kind of glad the Yanks didn't cave.  We will see how big a mistake it was.  

Lol this is endemic to all Yankee fans. 

They think the DESERVE championships. 

Too funny. 

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

Have to admire the Astros for going all in today. Having Greinke as your number 3 is pretty strong.

You are correct, the Yankees collection of young talent is admirable. But where do they all play?

The Astros/Yankees ALCS will be an interesting watch. Those 2 are far and away the best 2 teams in that league.

Dodgers certainly are in the NL, but they did not close the door today.

Damn.  Verlander, Cole, Greinke.  That starting staff is probably even better than the Mets' and that's saying something. 

Reminds me a bit of Randy Johnson & Curt Schilling just laying down wood night after night.  Only now you have 3 guys who can do that.  That's a tough road for anyone facing them.

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

• Severino coming back
  • Betances coming back
  • Stanton coming back

Cashman is a great GM, but I think the Astros pulled a fast one on him when they announced the Grienke deal right at the deadline. As a Mets fan, it isn’t often that I get to say he screwed up, but I think he did today. I don’t see the Yankees getting past the Houston .

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 14 in Green said:

Cashman is a great GM, but I think the Astros pulled a fast one on him when they announced the Grienke deal right at the deadline. As a Mets fan, it isn’t often that I get to say he screwed up, but I think he did today. I don’t see the Yankees getting past the Houston .

Cashman’s strategy is Tanaka, German, Paxton and Green (with Severino and Betances throwing innings 3-7) as the playoffs rotation 

It’s actually a good strategy but I’m concerned that if we have an injury or Severino and/or Betances don’t come back this plan shatters.

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

Damn.  Verlander, Cole, Greinke.  That starting staff is probably even better than the Mets' and that's saying something. 

Reminds me a bit of Randy Johnson & Curt Schilling just laying down wood night after night.  Only now you have 3 guys who can do that.  That's a tough road for anyone facing them.

None of those guys are as good as prime Randy and Schilling and we would have won that series if Mo converts that last save in game 7

12 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Cashman FAILS to get starting pitching. 

He fails every year to get starting pitching. he let Houston get Verlander 2 years ago and that move alone could very well have cost us 2 world series. So what does he do this year ? Lets Houston grab Grinke and give that staff the leg up on us once again.

But hey we got Paxton :rolleyes: and an injured Severino and 900 year old CC .... No way this team gets past Houston and if Severino has a set back we may not get past the ALDS

7 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Cashman’s strategy is Tanaka, German, Paxton and Green (with Severino and Betances throwing innings 3-7) as the playoffs rotation 

It’s actually a good strategy but I’m concerned that if we have an injury or Severino and/or Betances don’t come back this plan shatters.

where did you get this strategy from ?

12 hours ago, Philc1 said:

None of those guys are as good as prime Randy and Schilling and we would have won that series if Mo converts that last save in game 7

Randy, at that point, was the most dominant starter I've seen in the last 30 years.  Sometimes it felt like he was just a strikeout vending machine.  But the 3 Astro starters right now are all probably in the top-10 in the league.  That's pretty dominant.

8 hours ago, nycdan said:

Randy, at that point, was the most dominant starter I've seen in the last 30 years.  Sometimes it felt like he was just a strikeout vending machine.  But the 3 Astro starters right now are all probably in the top-10 in the league.  That's pretty dominant.

Lol remember him and John Kruk in the all star game?

21 hours ago, Philc1 said:

I was bartending that night.  When they lost I threw a handful of bottle caps, and wouldn't serve the D Backs fans.

Bob Brenley may have been the worst manager I ever saw win a WS.   That team had Randy and Schilling, and for 7 games, that was enough.   Randy was amazing that series, he was not going to give up a run.