Sign in to follow this  
RobR

The Beer, Booze, and Wine thread

With a new Jets season upon us I'd like to revive an old thread from another board. Post your favorite drinks, brews, and vintages. Since I'm in NM I'll post my favorite beer of all time from a local brewery here in Albuquerque. LaCumbres finest.

beer_133713

• Post of the Week 1

Mostly a whiskey guy at this point although I've developed a taste for West Coast IPAs in recent years.  Jack Daniels is my "go to" but have grown into a taste for better things like WhistlePig and Boss Hog.  Can get expensive but other than the Jets this is my only real vice that's bad for me. :P 

I’m a scotch man. Johnnie Walker Red or Black, with water. If it’s a better bottle, neat, or with just a splash

Kettle One or Tito’s with club and a splash of cranberry when I’m finished with a round of golf, or in hot weather and I’m outside.

For Scotch: Macallan 12 neat if special occasion, older for a birthday or Christmas (or a Balvenie). For everyday, we discovered Glen Moray, port cask single malt (cheap as heck)

For wine, still have 1 bottle each from a case of Opus One '03 and '04 (better economic times :) ) for the next two special occasions. For everyday our favorite store carries a nice Nero D'Avola 1.5L at a great price. 

For tailgates, it can be anything from the aforementioned Nero D'Avola to Moscow Mules to a nice Martini (Mrs. Crimson calls the shots here)

Saving three bottles of GTS for a) celebrating the next Mets World Series win or b) the sad sad day we lose the owner of this vinyard

481066140_GTSWIne.jpg.2bebbd10022b3482b4e98082cbe35be4.jpg

10 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

I’m a scotch man. Johnnie Walker Red or Black, with water. If it’s a better bottle, neat, or with just a splash

Kettle One or Tito’s with club and a splash of cranberry when I’m finished with a round of golf, or in hot weather and I’m outside.

What a pussy!   Water in your scotch? :)

Im a scotch man too.  I have  special ice cube tray I use that makes a large round cube. Straight Scotch, one cube.

My go to is Dewars. I started on it and love it. Sentimental for me. My buddy Ken , who died on 911 started me on it so I drink it thinking of him.

BUT I really like so many. Belvienie, OBan. NOT a Johnny Walker guy.

• Haha 1

Yeungling and Tullamore Dew for regulars.

I'm also a fan of Ommegang Three Philosphers and Goose Island IPA.

A good, properly poured Guinness from a proper nitrogen pumped tap. Extra Cold preferred.  

Stopped drinking liquor about a year ago. Back then, I was a Bourbon man.  

• Upvote 2

The Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask. 

The Balvenie 21 for special occasions. 

Monkey Shoulder for no special occasions. 

A pipette drop or 2 of water to open up the florals. No more, never neat. No cubes. 

Big into Provence Rose’s this summer and the past 2. 

8 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

What a pussy!   Water in your scotch? :)

Im a scotch man too.  I have  special ice cube tray I use that makes a large round cube. Straight Scotch, one cube.

My go to is Dewars. I started on it and love it. Sentimental for me. My buddy Ken , who died on 911 started me on it so I drink it thinking of him.

BUT I really like so many. Belvienie, OBan. NOT a Johnny Walker guy.

My dad drank Dewars, it was the one open bottle in his bar that I could sneak a few “pre game”drinks from when I was a kid before I went out. That’s how I got started with scotch. Next time I have ia Dewars,I’ll toast your friend.

I don’t use a lot of water, just a splash, and I’ve been to places where they’ll serve you with that one big cube. Remember where you got it?

btw, almost broke 80 today. Bogeyed the 17th w a 3 putt, and dunked one trying a hero shot on par 5 18 for a double and an 81... 😩

5 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

A good, properly poured Guinness from a proper nitrogen pumped tap. Extra Cold preferred.  

You’ve mentioned you’re Irish. Isn’t Guinness usually served room temperature, or is that a European thing?

Im not a beer drinker, it has to be almost frozen for me to even get down a bottle, but I did get hammered one St Patty’s Day on Irish Car Bombs. I was the token drunk Italian in the group.

2 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

You’ve mentioned you’re Irish. Isn’t Guinness usually served room temperature, or is that a European thing?

Im not a beer drinker, it has to be almost frozen for me to even get down a bottle, but I did get hammered one St Patty’s Day on Irish Car Bombs. I was the token drunk Italian in the group.

England drinks beer warm, the old joke is because Lucas (manufacturing) builds refrigerators....

They've been serving Guinness "Extra Cold" in Ireland for 30 years. And "car bombs" are about as classy as Ripple and almost as offensive as asking for a "Klinghoffer Cocktail" (two shots and a splash). And if you're ever in Ireland,  I would advise you to not order a "Black and Tan", unless you're in a Proddy Ulster neighborhood....lol

51 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

My dad drank Dewars, it was the one open bottle in his bar that I could sneak a few “pre game”drinks from when I was a kid before I went out. That’s how I got started with scotch. Next time I have ia Dewars,I’ll toast your friend.

I don’t use a lot of water, just a splash, and I’ve been to places where they’ll serve you with that one big cube. Remember where you got it?

btw, almost broke 80 today. Bogeyed the 17th w a 3 putt, and dunked one trying a hero shot on par 5 18 for a double and an 81... 😩

I bought the ice tray on amazon and yes golf just pisses me off. I had a 3 round stretch of 81 82 85 and today I shlt the bed with an 88. 

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

England drinks beer warm, the old joke is because Lucas (manufacturing) builds refrigerators....

They've been serving Guinness "Extra Cold" in Ireland for 30 years. And "car bombs" are about as classy as Ripple and almost as offensive as asking for a "Klinghoffer Cocktail" (two shots and a splash). And if you're ever in Ireland,  I would advise you to not order a "Black and Tan", unless you're in a Proddy Ulster neighborhood....lol

LOL I can only imagine.

Trust me, there was nothing “classy” about that bunch of guys I tried the Car Bombs with. They were drinking with a pourpose that day. 🙄

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

If you drink Guinness extra cold you're missing out on the flavor. I don't like warm beer although I like my lagers too be ice cold, but there is nothing better than a slightly chilled ale for the flavor profile. 

2 hours ago, 14 in Green said:

Water in your scotch and can barely get a beer down unless it's almost frozen. I'm starting to worry about you😁

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, RobR said:

If you drink Guinness extra cold you're missing out on the flavor. I don't like warm beer although I like my lagers too be ice cold, but there is nothing better than a slightly chilled ale for the flavor profile. 

I've drank Guinness from Galway, Ballinrobe, Kerry and Dublin at St. James Gate to London, Boston, New York, Savannah, Quebec, and the Carribean, and going back to when the ONLY Guinness you could find in the US was Foreign Extra.  LOL. I'm not "missing" anything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I've drank Guinness from Galway, Ballinrobe, Kerry and Dublin at St. James Gate to London, Boston, New York, Savannah, Quebec, and the Carribean, and going back to when the ONLY Guinness you could find in the US was Foreign Extra.  LOL. I'm not "missing" anything. 

That is quite the impressive resume so I'll defer to your experience.  I still like my Guinness Extra Stout bottle on the warmer side....also think the draught version we get here with the widgets is borderline disgusting.

If you like Stouts so much you should try what some of these local microbreweries are pumping out. There's around 60 microbreweries where I live, most with multiple locations and several of them brew a much better Stout than Guinness ever could. At least IMO. 

9 minutes ago, RobR said:

That is quite the impressive resume so I'll defer to your experience.  I still like my Guinness Extra Stout bottle on the warmer side....also think the draught version we get here with the widgets is borderline disgusting.

If you like Stouts so much you should try what some of these local microbreweries are pumping out. There's around 60 microbreweries where I live, most with multiple locations and several of them brew a much better Stout than Guinness ever could. At least IMO. 

I do. I love any manner of Stouts and Porters....Rogue Shakespear Stout is awesome, as is Founders Breakfast Stout. But 99% of the time, most "regular" bars have Guinness Draught, and a bunch of sh*tty, overhopped hipster IPAs that smell like Cat Piss. If I'm in a decent "Pub" Ill take a Beamish or Murphys to change it up, but my Go-to is always Guinness. Theres a reason its one of the most popular beers World Wide (Europe, Africa, the Carribean, and even much of Asia all consume Guinness), while your local is basically brewing tiny batch specialty beers. 

7 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

while your local is basically brewing tiny batch specialty beers. 

That's why they are better, at least in my neck of the woods. I know you are in FL and when I lived there not so long ago most of the microbreweries were meh.

Once I moved to NM it was like moving to a beer mecca. I'm not sure if it's the water or altitude, or a combination of both but they have some great breweries out here. They're so good it's become a destination for many.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, RobR said:

That's why they are better, at least in my neck of the woods. I know you are in FL and when I lived there not so long ago most of the microbreweries were meh.

Once I moved to NM it was like moving to a beer mecca. I'm not sure if it's the water or altitude, or a combination of both but they have some great breweries out here. They're so good it's become a destination for many.

Water. Florida water is atrocious unless you have a direct aquifer feed source. Public water here is surface reservoir that is heavily treated.  No bueno. 

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, JoeC36 said:

Yuengling

JD

Cutty Sark

Yuengling is a guaranteed hangover, though. Gross sh*t

• Upvote 4

I earholed myself yesterday with a sixer of Troeg’s Troegenator. Yes, it’s a gay microbrew, but it’s like 8.5 ABV. I was majorly tuned up and started giving parenting advice to people at a party. Note: I do not have children.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Water. Florida water is atrocious unless you have a direct aquifer feed source. Public water here is surface reservoir that is heavily treated.  No bueno. 

I know all to well about the water since I lived there for 17 years. Water is definitely better out here since the bulk comes from aquifers. Altitude wise we range from 5000' to 6500' above sea level and I think that plays a part in not only the beer but the great food.  

41 minutes ago, RobR said:

I know all to well about the water since I lived there for 17 years. Water is definitely better out here since the bulk comes from aquifers. Altitude wise we range from 5000' to 6500' above sea level and I think that plays a part in not only the beer but the great food.  

I've pulled several dead bodies out of the West Palm Beach "fresh water resevoir" over the last 15 years. Not joking.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I earholed myself yesterday with a sixer of Troeg’s Troegenator. Yes, it’s a gay microbrew, but it’s like 8.5 ABV. I was majorly tuned up and started giving parenting advice to people at a party. Note: I do not have children.

That was no party that was the Thursday night lamaze class at the community center. 

What the hell is wrong with you. 

Paulaner all types

Cuesa Mesa Marg mix $16, at Bottle King 

Guinness tap only!

Bottle King Vodka $12, and sugar free Red Bull.

No wine, no booze.

20 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

I bought the ice tray on amazon and yes golf just pisses me off. I had a 3 round stretch of 81 82 85 and today I shlt the bed with an 88. 

I would kill for an 88 .

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, RobR said:

Every Guinness I’ve ever had in Ireland is very very lightly chilled. 

Never had a warm or room temp Guinness (although to be fair some of the rooms I’ve been in are pretty cold) and I’ve never had an ice cold one. 

Guinness is like the 'Wonder Bread' of Stouts to me now.  If I'm going bottle rather than draft, I'll always go for Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout first (which is not as common but easier to find than most).  Also fond of a lot of microbrew Stouts and Porters.  I can dig up some names from my back fridge if anyone's interested.  As for temp, I keep my stouts in the wine refrigerator.  Cool but not cold.  Works for me.

I don't like most IPAs but am more of a fan of wheat beers and red ales.  I have an up and down relationship with citrusy beers but just found one I'm digging for now and will probably hate by the end of the summer - Schofferhofer hefeweizen w/ grapefruit .  I don't know if my taste in that regard is going to work for anyone else but I'd recommend it as worth a shot in the hot weather.  

For liquor I'm more of a bourbon guy.  I always have 2-3 bottle going.  Basil Hayden for casual drinking and guests.  Noah's Mill for when I need a kick in the teeth (57% ABV - yikes!). And then anything else that catches my eye for variety.

19 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Guinness is like the 'Wonder Bread' of Stouts to me now.  If I'm going bottle rather than draft, I'll always go for Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout first (which is not as common but easier to find than most).  Also fond of a lot of microbrew Stouts and Porters.  I can dig up some names from my back fridge if anyone's interested.  As for temp, I keep my stouts in the wine refrigerator.  Cool but not cold.  Works for me.

I don't like most IPAs but am more of a fan of wheat beers and red ales.  I have an up and down relationship with citrusy beers but just found one I'm digging for now and will probably hate by the end of the summer - Schofferhofer hefeweizen w/ grapefruit .  I don't know if my taste in that regard is going to work for anyone else but I'd recommend it as worth a shot in the hot weather.  

For liquor I'm more of a bourbon guy.  I always have 2-3 bottle going.  Basil Hayden for casual drinking and guests.  Noah's Mill for when I need a kick in the teeth (57% ABV - yikes!). And then anything else that catches my eye for variety.

I love Basil Hayden but their other 2 small batch brands Booker’s and Baker’s are knock your socks off. 

Booker’s is 128.7 proof. 71.3 ABV.  Not as much as a burn as you’d expect. 2 and you’re done.

I think Baker’s is about 120 proof. 

They also make Knob Creek (actually all of them are Jim Beam small batch bourbons).

My favorite bourbon is Woodford Reserve. 

Looking forward to sampling some of this tonight....

CxFPmu_WIAAs5S_.jpg

Of the supposedly 313 Bottles total, only 147 were made available for sale to the public.

I have two of them :)

Better yet, I have two bottles of the beer is was distilled from from Adroit Theory as well.

:) :) 

I used to drink Knob Creek.  Just sort of moved on. 

128.7 proof is 64.3% ABV.  The bottle says 62.9% or 125.8 proof which is still a load.  Try Noah's Mill if you get a chance.  It's a nice flavor and a little different than the usual suspects.  Woodford is another nice one.  I think of it in the Basil Hayden category of high-end bourbons.  Might have to try it out again next time I'm at a bar.

Favorite Ale is Red Chimay, Trappist monk Dubbel. 

Favorite lager is Spaten. Ice cold on tap frosty mug.