The Beer, Booze, and Wine thread

RobR

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

I used to drink Knob Creek.  Just sort of moved on. 

128.7 proof is 64.3% ABV.  The bottle says 62.9% or 125.8 proof which is still a load.  Try Noah's Mill if you get a chance.  It's a nice flavor and a little different than the usual suspects.  Woodford is another nice one.  I think of it in the Basil Hayden category of high-end bourbons.  Might have to try it out again next time I'm at a bar.

Did the math wrong. I’ve had bottles that range from 125 to 128.7. 

Killer. 

Havent had Knob Creek in a while since I moved on to Woodford. 

16 hours ago, SAM SAM HE'S OUR MAN said:

I would kill for an 88 .

I shot 88 last week and I was dancing a jig. If I only had a decent short game.

I have been on a Martini kick lately. Vodka Lemon twist - Good after dinner drink. Tito's is pretty smooth.

I refrain from Craft Beers these days  the hangovers are a bit much.

1 hour ago, slowmoe57 said:

I shot 88 last week and I was dancing a jig. If I only had a decent short game.

I have been on a Martini kick lately. Vodka Lemon twist - Good after dinner drink. Tito's is pretty smooth.

I refrain from Craft Beers these days  the hangovers are a bit much.

I enjoyed a good Vodka Gibson in my day. 

On 8/1/2019 at 8:38 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

I do. I love any manner of Stouts and Porters....Rogue Shakespear Stout is awesome, as is Founders Breakfast Stout. But 99% of the time, most "regular" bars have Guinness Draught, and a bunch of sh*tty, overhopped hipster IPAs that smell like Cat Piss. If I'm in a decent "Pub" Ill take a Beamish or Murphys to change it up, but my Go-to is always Guinness. Theres a reason its one of the most popular beers World Wide (Europe, Africa, the Carribean, and even much of Asia all consume Guinness), while your local is basically brewing tiny batch specialty beers. 

Big into the porters and stouts.  Guiness is a safe bet just about anywhere, but I love sampling all of the local craft brewery stouts.  Was in Des Moines last week to visit my kids; took me to a local brewery for dinner, got a chace to enjoy a couple of these.

Image result for exile brewery mocha stout

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2019 at 10:04 PM, T0mShane said:

Yuengling is a guaranteed hangover, though. Gross sh*t

Yuengling is also notoriously anti-union, so screw them. 

I drink local craft stuff. There's a place called The Brewer's Collective in my town, basically a bunch of homebrewers dreaming of going commercial. I go in there, buy a flight, then pick out a few favorites for them to can for me. 

On 8/2/2019 at 4:55 PM, Peace Frog said:

I love Basil Hayden but their other 2 small batch brands Booker’s and Baker’s are knock your socks off. 

Booker’s is 128.7 proof. 71.3 ABV.  Not as much as a burn as you’d expect. 2 and you’re done.

I think Baker’s is about 120 proof. 

They also make Knob Creek (actually all of them are Jim Beam small batch bourbons).

My favorite bourbon is Woodford Reserve. 

I don't love the over-proofed stuff. You hit a certain alcohol level, and it just numbs your taste buds. I do like Woodford Reserve, Bulliet. Four Roses Small Batch is a nice, affordable bottle. There are a couple distilleries in Brooklyn I like, Van Brunt and Kings County. Both offer tours with tastings, finished with a cocktail. Instead of the big ice cube tray, they just bang a huge chunk off a block. Good way to spend a couple hours. 

I make simple old fashioneds at home. Just a little demerara simple syrup, a couple dashes each of orange and aromatic bitters, and a couple ounces of my top shelf bourbon of the day. I've also been known to take a bottle of Jim Beam and mix it with equal parts pineapple juice and 7up. We just call them Delicious Bourbon Drinks, or DBDs for short. Great summer drink, and definitely a bourbon delivery system. 

7 minutes ago, slats said:

Yuengling is also notoriously anti-union, so screw them. 

I drink local craft stuff. There's a place called The Brewer's Collective in my town, basically a bunch of homebrewers dreaming of going commercial. I go in there, buy a flight, then pick out a few favorites for them to can for me. 

I don't love the over-proofed stuff. You hit a certain alcohol level, and it just numbs your taste buds. I do like Woodford Reserve, Bulliet. Four Roses Small Batch is a nice, affordable bottle. There are a couple distilleries in Brooklyn I like, Van Brunt and Kings County. Both offer tours with tastings, finished with a cocktail. Instead of the big ice cube tray, they just bang a huge chunk off a block. Good way to spend a couple hours. 

I make simple old fashioneds at home. Just a little demerara simple syrup, a couple dashes each of orange and aromatic bitters, and a couple ounces of my top shelf bourbon of the day. I've also been known to take a bottle of Jim Beam and mix it with equal parts pineapple juice and 7up. We just call them Delicious Bourbon Drinks, or DBDs for short. Great summer drink, and definitely a bourbon delivery system. 

My future son-in-law got me a bottle of Woodford Reserve Double Oaked for my birthday and it is delicious. Very dark and  deep, I taste lots of vanilla and caramel.