I’m a Jets Fan: Jets vs. Broncos (1999): The Clock Strikes Midnight

3 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The most heartbreaking loss of my sports fandom. 

No doubt about it.  That was the year.  We would have annihilated Atlanta in the Super Bowl.

Damn Victor Green.....the Jets had the game almost in-hand at 10-0 in the 3rd quarter until he let "Easy" Ed McCaffrey loose in the secondary for a huge completion.  A couple plays later Terrell Davis is in the end zone, a ball hangs up in the wind on a kickoff and it's all over.  We HAD that game.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, jetstream23 said:

No doubt about it.  That was the year.  We would have annihilated Atlanta in the Super Bowl.

Damn Victor Green.....the Jets had the game almost in-hand at 10-0 in the 3rd quarter until he let "Easy" Ed McCaffrey loose in the secondary for a huge completion.  A couple plays later Terrell Davis is in the end zone, a ball hangs up in the wind on a kickoff and it's all over.  We HAD that game.

That McCaffrey play definitely changed that game.  Our D had dominated to that point, we just got a 10 point lead and then a few plays later it's a 3 point lead and then we allow Denver to recover the kickoff and it's tied.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, jetstream23 said:

Yep, I can still hear Greg Gumbel’s call: “Elway . . . to McCaffrey!” 

That play changed everything. 

The thing is, we should have been up by a minimum of 20-0 when that play happened. We moved the ball up and down the field the entire first half but the Martin and Byars fumbles as well as Hall’s early missed FG killed us. 

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

Yep, I can still hear Greg Gumbel’s call: “Elway . . . to McCaffrey!” 

That play changed everything. 

The thing is, we should have been up by a minimum of 20-0 when that play happened. We moved the ball up and down the field the entire first half but the Martin and Byars fumbles as well as Hall’s early missed FG killed us. 

The Byars fumble was the biggest killer because we were deep in Denver territory but remember we also stopped Denver in 4th and G from the 1 so that kind of evened out.  Hall missed a chip shot that hurt us too.  I know it was really windy but he missed it badly. 

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

The Byars fumble was the biggest killer because we were deep in Denver territory but remember we also stopped Denver in 4th and G from the 1 so that kind of evened out.  Hall missed a chip shot that hurt us too.  I know it was really windy but he missed it badly. 

Agree.

The Hall miss is underrated because it capped off a nice opening drive and set the tone for the inexcusable mistakes/sloppiness to come.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2019 at 3:54 PM, slimjasi said:

Agree.

The Hall miss is underrated because it capped off a nice opening drive and set the tone for the inexcusable mistakes/sloppiness to come.

Vinny started out at 13 for 13 or something like that but when you can't put points on the board.  That game is probably the most frustrating loss in my lifetime because I think we were the better team and would have won the SB.  

On 8/1/2019 at 8:11 PM, TuscanyTile2 said:

Alex Van Dyke needs to take some flak for his 4th quarter fumble.

His fumble sealed it but even if he doesn't fumble we still had to finish that drive with a TD, get the ball back and score another TD.

14 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Vinny started out at 13 for 13 or something like that but when you can't put points on the board.  That game is probably the most frustrating loss in my lifetime because I think we were the better team and would have won the SB.  

His fumble sealed it but even if he doesn't fumble we still had to finish that drive with a TD, get the ball back and score another TD.

IIRC, we trailed by 10 at the time.  If we had a TD on that drive (and it did seem like we were on the move) then we'd have had a real chance.  Certainly not saying it was a guarantee we'd come back but that felt like the play that sealed our fate.

On 8/1/2019 at 10:47 AM, jetstream23 said:

i also remember ward dropping a deep out ...   forget where...exactly... whne it was 10-14 maybe?

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

IIRC, we trailed by 10 at the time.  If we had a TD on that drive (and it did seem like we were on the move) then we'd have had a real chance.  Certainly not saying it was a guarantee we'd come back but that felt like the play that sealed our fate.

You are right, it was 20-10 and it was earlier in the 4th quarter.  I got my turnovers confused with so many of them.  Van Dyke's fumble was early enough where we even got the ball back still down 10 with 10 to play.

• Upvote 1

Probably the toughest loss in my lifetime as a Jet fan.  In that first half I really thought we had it and would win the SB if we got past denver.  The only other time I felt that way was when we beat the Patriots in Foxboro in the Rex Ryan era.