Training Camp Tweets (8/1)

2 hours ago, flgreen said:
What’s up with Jamal Adams’ hat? “It’s for my haters. I’m blocking all my haters.” #Jets
EA5PxTvXoAAAlU-.jpg

Glad to see the former sixth overall pick do something a week into training camp that merits a mention by the beat writers. Today, a hat; tomorrow some fancy shorts, perhaps, or a funny wig????

• Haha 2

How the Jets are using shame as a weapon to fix their penalty problem

Andy Vasquez, NFL writer Published 9:14 a.m. ET Aug. 1, 2019 | Updated 9:32 a.m. ET Aug. 1, 2019

FLORHAM PARK — It has been a Jets training camp tradition of sorts in recent years.

After every penalty, the entire offending unit would drop to the ground and do pushups. And there were a lot of pushups, because there were a lot of penalties. 

This year, under new coach Adam Gase, the pushups are gone. And through the first week-plus of practice, the penalties have been far less frequent. 

So what’s changed? Well, at least on the defensive side of the ball, the Jets’ new coaching staff is using shame as a weapon. 

If a player makes a mistake or commits a penalty in practice, they can be certain that it will come up later in the day, in front of the entire defense.

The Jets defense takes a break on day three of training camp for the New York Jets at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, NJ on July 27, 2019 and the first day for fans to come and see the Jets practice.

The Jets defense takes a break on day three of training camp for the New York Jets at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, NJ on July 27, 2019 and the first day for fans to come and see the Jets practice. (Photo: Chris Pedota, NorthJersey.com-USA Today Network)

In the back of the head, you’re always thinking, ‘let me be on top of my stuff so I don’t be the butt of the joke,’” linebacker C.J. Mosley told NorthJersey.com and USA TODAY Network Northeast. 

It’s no secret that defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has a very direct coaching style. He holds his players to a high standard and will give them credit whey they reach it. But if they don’t, they’re going to get called out. Every time. 

“Coach does a good job of holding everybody accountable for our mistakes,” defensive lineman Henry Anderson said. 

"And if you mess up, you’re going to hear about it in front of the defense. So I think that kind of pushes guys to not want to go out here [on the practice field] and screw their assignments up or commit penalties.”

The Jets take to the practice field early in the morning, and when mistakes are made they’re usually pointed out right then. That’s the quick, relatively easy part.

But then comes the dread, because if a player makes a mistake, he knows that it’s going to be pointed out again, in detail, during the afternoon meeting. 

Wednesday marked the first time that the Jets defense had several penalties during 11-on-11 drills. And Anderson, who was responsible for one of the mistakes, knew what was coming next. 

Defensive coordinator Greg Williams on the first day of training camp for the NY Jets at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, NJ on July 25, 2019.

Defensive coordinator Greg Williams on the first day of training camp for the NY Jets at the Atlantic Health Training Center in Florham Park, NJ on July 25, 2019. (Photo: Chris Pedota, NorthJersey.com-USA Today Network)

“You never want to be up on the board being called out,” Anderson said. “I know I’ll be up on the board [later] for a couple different things, but tomorrow I’m going to try to be better and not show up again. So I know for me it’s effective, because I never like to get called out. I try to do my job and have the trust of my teammates to do what I’m supposed to do. So I think that it’s effective for me and it’s effective for a lot of the other guys, too.”

It’s all part of the culture this new regime is trying to create. Of course, it doesn’t matter how clean the team is in practice during July and August. They’ll be judged on how they perform once the games actually matter. 

But the idea is to set a higher standard and try to reach it. 

“For us to be one of the top defenses in the league in all the categories, like we say: We first have to be the best conditioned, the most physical and the smartest in the whole league,” Mosley said. “And that starts with penalties. We’ve got to do our best not to have big plays and penalties.”

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, kdels62 said:

I still don’t know anything about Tim White 

UDFA out of Arizona State in 2017.  He was signed by the Ravens.  IR in 2017, practice squad in 2018.  Triple jumper, skinny, small slot guy probably will have trouble getting off the line against press, supposed to be fast with excellent acceleration, but I think he only ran around 4.5.  Has punt return ability.  He was a JuCo guy, so only spent 2 years at ASU.  He had 8 TDs as a junior.  Senior stats were similar, but only 2 TDs. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, The Voice of Reason said:

WR

TIM WHITE

ARIZONA STATE  PAC-12

Photo of Tim White

fb-like.png
share-button.png

View Prospects By Name By Position By College By Grade 
GRADE
5.1?

• 5'11"HEIGHT
  • 175LBS.WEIGHT

OVERVIEW

Despite growing up in a difficult family situation, White excelled in football and track in high school and carried forward that excellence in college. He started his career at College of the Canyons, earning first-team all-California junior college notice in 2014 (55-667, eight TD receiving, 28 yards per kick return). White also broke the CC long jump record at a shade under 24 feet. In his first year with the Sun Devils, he averaged 27 yards per kickoff return and set the ASU record for kick return yardage (972). White also caught eight touchdown passes (57 catches, 633 yards in total), including two against West Virginia in the Cactus Bowl. His numbers were down slightly in 2016 (56-713, two TD; 21.5 yards per kick return), but the talent was still evident to scouts. White also participated in track and field in Tempe, placing fourth in the triple jump in the NCAA championships. He attempted to make the Rio Olympic team in that event, as well.

ANALYSIS

STRENGTHS

Collegiate triple-jumper with good speed and great explosiveness. Plays fast when attacking down the field. Early accelerator off the line of scrimmage and runs with a smooth gait. Has ability to hit second gear and climb over cornerback. Tape shows a quality ball tracker able to adjust his route and body to the throw. Has unusually large hands for his size. Bouncy feet help trigger quick escapes when challenged by press corners. Operates with good foot quickness in and out of his breaks with a whip route that can put cornerbacks in a trailing position. Talented return man with two years of experience as both a kick and punt returner at Arizona State.

WEAKNESSES

Frame is a little lanky and lacking desired play strength. Scouts question his ability to secure throws in the noise over the middle. Tabbed with 11 drops over the last two seasons. Utilized more on first and third levels. Lacks experience of complex, intermediate routes. Utilized as catch-and-run option, but was unable to fight through arm tackles consistently enough with the ball in his hands. Doesn't appear to have sudden, lateral burst to get away from coverage and hit the home run on punt returns.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Round 7-PFA

BOTTOM LINE

White is a slot wide receiver with the vertical speed and ball skills to occasionally push out wide and challenge down the field. He could use more play strength and will almost assuredly get challenged by a more physical brand of cornerback than he saw in at Arizona State. While his return ability gives his draft stock a bump, his tape also shows a measure of natural talent as a receiver who can create some separation. If he finds the right team fit, White could carve out a role as a fourth or fifth receiver and return man. -Lance Zierlein

Benefited from having N'Keal Harry opposite him in 2017 but a good player.  The question will be the transition from college to the Pros in terms of size, route running and level of competition.  He has speed and elusiveness but I'm not sure he'll survive against larger, faster competition given that he only seemed to catch short stuff and deep passes.

Hope I'm wrong but he's the type of guy who you see enough interesting things on college tape to bring him into Camp, but in Week 2 or 3 you realize his limitations and the guys around him just seem to be better prospects with fewer deficiencies to correct.

3 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Benefited from having N'Keal Harry opposite him but a good player.  The question will be the transition from college to the Pros in terms of size, route running and level of competition.  He has speed and elusiveness but I'm not sure he'll survive against larger, faster competition given that he only seemed to catch short stuff and deep passes.

Hope I'm wrong but he's the type of guy who you see enough interesting things on college tape to bring him into Camp, but in Week 2 or 3 you realize his limitations and the guys around him just seem to be better prospects with fewer deficiencies to correct.

Harry was only there his senior year.  He probably put up better numbers as a junior.  He's been through 3 camps, so he is running out of chances. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, #27TheDominator said:

Harry was only there his senior year.  He probably put up better numbers as a junior.  He's been through 3 camps, so he is running out of chances. 

Ah, my bad.  I might just be remembering that he wasn't really the first option on that team.  But you're right...this might be his last opportunity.

mid to lower draft picks and udfa that have a future the vast majority of the time show something really  good really early.  That is why it is encouraging to hear stuff about white, cashman etc.

Robby Anderson showed good things very early.

I said it before I'll say it again this regime seems to have the doors wide open and any player has a chance to show his stuff and have a true shot.  Unlike the Bowles static era of you knowing 100% who was going to get the favourable reps and who was 'a a backup' from day one.

4 hours ago, BigRy56 said:

Have we ever had a QB come into camp and take control like this/look this good?

There doesn’t seem to be a negative thing  to be said so far about Darnold. This is going to be such a fun season - can’t wait for week 1

Can we please just make this guy captain this year?

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 2

re: Wrs...   totally down with Peake being dropped, as long as someone, anyone...dont needa be a WR replaces his coverage duties on STs at an euqal or higher level...

Liking Cashman more n more...  the anti-Lee!

Anderson is legit. No he's no Julio Jones or Michael Thomas...      but he's a Jet and he's pretty good...

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

Ah, my bad.  I might just be remembering that he wasn't really the first option on that team.  But you're right...this might be his last opportunity.

I think you were suitably skeptical.  Plenty of guys with worse credentials have made a mark, but he is running short on chances. 

I looked it up.  His senior year Harry had 2 more catches for less yards.  His junior year Devin Lucien a UCLA transfer that was a Pats 7th rounder had way more catches and yards.  Lucien seems to be out of the league after a ton of practice squad time and AAF time.  He may be hurt.  DJ Foster also had a couple of more catches, but I think he was more RB. 

4 hours ago, Patriot Killa said:

Ross Martin pls? Cat is useless

4 hours ago, Legend Killa7 said:

what???  this whole kicking situation just gets stranger by the day!  what is he working on his mindfulness or something??

Don’t worry, we’re scoring TDs this year, not settling for FGs. 

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I can't help thinking how Sam in year two is emulating the same type of throws as Patrick Mahommes did in his second year. Throwing darts on the run, across his body to the left, making smart decisions, etc. Would be nice ... 

I’m very excited like everyone else but I do want to see how he does against some other team’s defense. These training camp practice stats don’t always translate. I can’t wait for the first preseason game although I don’t think the starters will play long. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, flgreen said:
Some standouts/observations from #Jets training camp practice No. 7: ? - Quinnen Williams ? - Sam Darnold ??? - Le’Veon Bell ? - Tim White ?? - Blake Cashman ? - Jachai Polite ️ - Deonte Thompson ? - Arthur Maulet

1 hour ago, flgreen said:
#Jets practice report: ?Sam Darnold (12-for-15, 2 drops.) Another strong day. ?3 carries, 2 catches for Le’Veon. Long run on “dive” play that creased. ️Robby Anderson. Made plays in short and intermediate zones. ?Quinnen Williams. Blew up 2 runs. ⛑CB Arthur Maulet, groin.

I'm so glad these guys used the emojis. Really helps put things in perspective.

The reports are super promising. One thing Ive noticed has been the absolute non mention of Leo Williams. He has always been the king of training camp with tons of folks tweeting about his being a mismatch...maybe our o line play is getting better? 

But if he is staying this year, you'd really want this to be a banner season for Leo. 

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Perfectly normal thing for a 65 year-old man to write

The photo of Jamal Adams that somebody posted was all over the page thread covering other posts. 

Does your mind body and soul ever come out of the gutter. 

56 son remember that...............hope you live as long. 

Image result for ryan kalil locker room pics

9 minutes ago, pdxgreen said:

Damn.  I thought Jeff Smith the UDFA from BC might turn some heads.  But other than be sidelined I haven't heard anything about him.

I picked him in the JN mock.  It is the start of camp and he has a hamstring issue.  That is fairly common.  He is still an unlikely prospect, but this hasn't really soured me on him yet.

45 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

Former QB, converted to WR at BC.  Sub 4.4 forty guy.  Not a huge amount of production in college.

Edit:  Oops.  I think I am confused.  Wouldn't be the first time.

That's Jeff Smith.  Lot of TDs, Lot of drop.  

4 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I picked him in the JN mock.  It is the start of camp and he has a hamstring issue.  That is fairly common.  He is still an unlikely prospect, but this hasn't really soured me on him yet.

That's Jeff Smith.  Lot of TDs, Lot of drop.  

The converted QB part intrigued me.  Hell.  It worked for Edleman.  But hey, if he's having drops now he isn't going to get a second chances to impress here.