Is Macc eligible for executive of the year?

6 minutes ago, nico002 said:

Hypothetical... 

If this team somehow goes 10-6 and wins a playoff game- Macc is executive of the year right?

I know this is a joke but there are some grains of truth in here.  If the new coaching staff wins with the guys that Macc assembled here then he would deserve some serious credit.  There are some diamonds in the rough too (Cashman, Dortch) who were drafted very late or signed as UDFAs that are making a little noise.  The FAs this year are all his...Bell, CJ, Crowder, the trade for Osemele....and then obviously positioning the Jets for Darnold last year.

Let's wait and see what happens but this is probably the best roster Macc had assembled since he got here. 

• Upvote 1

He executed the rebuild that started in earnest once Woody finally acquiesced and allowed it to happen.

If Darnold turns into the real deal all Jet fans owe him a debt of gratitude.

Joe Douglas can hopefully take the great foundation hes been given and build on it.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Pac said:

He executed the rebuild that started in earnest once Woody finally acquiesced and allowed it to happen.

Sweet Jesus now it was Woody Johnson that was holding Maccagnan back from succeeding on his 4th rebuild?  While in London, no less? 

I knew you'd stumble into this thread but holy sh*t. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Joe Douglas can hopefully take the great foundation hes been given and build on it.  

This is Macc's team right now, no doubt about it.  The only guys left from before Macc are Winters and Enunwa I believe.  The team is in decent Salary Cap shape, has a very young roster and may have found its franchise QB.  If this is the case then Macc deserves a ton of credit.

I like Joe Douglas and I think he's the right guy to take it from here.  Two primary reasons: 1) It's a given that he'll work better with Gase than Macc would have...and that's important.  2) Douglas is perfectly suited to take on the areas where Macc fell short, specifically the OLine.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Sweet Jesus now it was Woody Johnson that was holding Maccagnan back from succeeding on his 4th rebuild?  While in London, no less? 

I knew you'd stumble into this thread but holy sh*t. 

Starting to think you're not trolling and are just woefully misinformed.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

If you did a positional breakdown of all the teams in the AFCE, would the Jets have the most talent?

I say definitely over Dolphags and Bills.  Patriots is debatable. 

If you just ranked the positions equally, then  yes. If you graded them on a curve where you valued OL and CB higher than say safety or RB then things get tricky. 

This team, and Macc's legacy, hinge on how this Oline holds up and whether our CBs can be average. 

Just now, Jetsfan80 said:

Oh absolutely.  Macc is awesome and totally got screwed here.  He'll land elsewhere as a GM like tomorrow as soon as he updates his resume. 

Not sure what that has to do with Woody allowing the rebuild but ok.

3 minutes ago, Pac said:

Not sure what that has to do with Woody allowing the rebuild but ok.

Pretty sure Woody's Mom plays more of a part in running the Jets than Woody has since early 2017.  

There's no crutch for Mike Maccagnan to fall back on.  He was simply terrible at his job.  He had 5 offseasons and we have about an 8-8 roster and need to turn over the entire offense after 2020.  That's not a "rebuild".  That's an abortion. 

Mac inherited an aging roster, with very little in terms of young talent. He inherited a team with no Franchise caliber signal caller. This, which would be his 5th season, the Jets have one of the youngest rosters in the league. A star,[in my opinion], QB, in the making, with a cap situation, that will allow us to tweak the roster, or make some big splashes in FA, next year. This season needs to play out, but we could also have in addition to a franchise QB, an edge rusher, that this team hasn't had in years. Yes, we need a stud LT, a corner, another WR. To suggest that deficiencies in those area's are because of Mac's incompetence, is a bad rap, to say the least. We can go through every teams roster and find some roster issues, depth issues. People can get into the minutia all they want about this draft pick, or who they would have selected. The bottom line is where is your roster at, talent wise. Is it an aging roster, and are we in a strong position financially to allow for us to be flexible, when tweaking or adding players.

1 hour ago, nico002 said:

Hypothetical... 

If this team somehow goes 10-6 and wins a playoff game- Macc is executive of the year right?

I hope you are just trolling but my opinion would be "no" he probably wouldn't be considered for that award.

First off Gase and Douglas are compatible meaning the organization is now functioning properly. Also the signings of Bell and Mosely as well as the  drafting of Quinnen Williams greatly improved the team. Those were not moves of brilliance but were obvious considering the Free Agency capital he had available and the draft pick location. On a whole, his drafting record over his tenure has been mediocre to poor as have been most of his personnel moves. 

1 hour ago, Pac said:

That’s one take

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Mac was just finding his groove as a gm and we sh!t canned him. 

1 hour ago, Pac said:

Wait... There are people that think this?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, slats said:

He’s not winning any awards, but he might get another job. 

Easily, right!  I mean, teams have got to be knocking down the door for a guy with a resume that includes assembling a roster good enough for a wild card spot after 5 years.