Ryan Kalil coming out of retirement!

4 minutes ago, jeTMAC said:

How long ago did Kalil retire?

This past offseason. 

3 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:

How old is he?

34. 12 seasons in the NFL. Was healthy last season but missed big chunks in 2017 and 2018. PFF has him as average last year, but that’s still an upgrade for the Jets. Signing him doesn’t stop them from finding a permanent solution to the position next offseason, but they obviously didn’t want to go into the season with the center situation as it was. If he can stay healthy, it’s solid. Worth a shot for sure as a bandaid. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Big name. Past his prime.  Somehow I love this move.

Just has to give ue a year or two.  Having a guy with 12 years experience in front of Sam should be huge.  And Harrison now becomes some really nice depth.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, DJF71 said:

Big name. Past his prime.  Somehow I love this move.

The funny thing is, under different circumstances, I might actually not like it so much.  But right now, it's all about Darnold, so all bets are off.  This would normally seem like a move for more of a "win now" team as opposed to one still rebuilding, but helping out Darnold supersedes everything these days.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

Full circle... Kalil was part of the Revis trade down 

April 28, 2007: Traded by Jets as 2007 2nd round pick (59th overall) with 2007 1st round pick (25th overall, Jon Beason) and 2007 5th round pick (164th overall, Tim Shaw) to Panthers for 2007 1st round pick (14th overall, Darrelle Revis) and 2007 6th round pick (191st overall subsequently traded, Korey Hall)

as with most let's see if he passes his physical 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Macc refuses to sign Paradis.  Gase gets Macc fired.

Enter Joe Douglas, whose first big move is to get Gase a legitimate starting Center. 

GFY Macc supporters. 

Not a Mac supporter as you say but the trade for KO for a 5th rounder is probably just as good.

Kalil is older and has neck issues... wait and see before you get too erect there J80

• Upvote 4

Kind of a bummer for Harrison who has been working so hard to prove everyone wrong that he can be a solid starting C in the NFL. Came in in fantastic shape and has gotten nothing but praise so far. Now you have a retired 34 yr old who has never played for the Jets coming in and taking his spot without working earning it. 

Having said that, Kalil is probably still an upgrade, so I'm down with that. And he has a history of injuries so Harrison may end up having to step in eventually. 

Good news all around as far as the fans are concerned. 

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The funny thing is, under different circumstances, I might actually not like it so much.  But right now, it's all about Darnold, so all bets are off.  This would normally seem like a move for more of a "win now" team as opposed to one still rebuilding, but helping out Darnold supersedes everything these days.

Trent Williams next...

• Upvote 4