Ryan Kalil coming out of retirement!

21 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Wow, wow, wow!!!!

Mayfield lovers, you’ll hate Ryan, he’s a class act, and charming and low key.  

You might like this tho.....wifey the blonde in the middle.

BC549788-1E7E-49F2-BF8A-DE15AB9018A7.jpeg

Won’t scream at receivers... no accountability... soft

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Kind of a bummer for Harrison who has been working so hard to prove everyone wrong that he can be a solid starting C in the NFL. Came in in fantastic shape and has gotten nothing but praise so far. Now you have a retired 34 yr old who has never played for the Jets coming in and taking his spot without working earning it. 

Having said that, Kalil is probably still an upgrade, so I'm down with that. And he has a history of injuries so Harrison may end up having to step in eventually. 

Good news all around as far as the fans are concerned. 

Doubt this will be more than a 1 year deal.  Ryan could be brought in to help Harrison.  

Ryan has so many outside opportunities for his post football life, can’t think this is for long.  This guy will give his all, he won’t slack.

• Upvote 3

This is crazy. I dont really know off hand any players that come out of retirement to play for another team, this can't be common. USC alum/revis trade down/really good player in the past aside

His past injuries and the pain he played through last year led him to actually retire. SO I am concerned. Im sure our coaching staff were singing our guys praises to to lift him up but somehow after just a few practives identified that we needed help(holdy sh*t another sign our coaching staff is not terrible - and that the GM actually listened - holy crap) . It just seems like a very strange move for Joe to make. It could be a mix of things, but if the guy passes a physical, and he obviously wants to come play for us, I don't know how you can see this as anything but a great move going in. 

Sure he might blow up later on with injury, but it sure seems like a great stop gap that helps the team, big time with Sam and Bell. 

It is just so awesome to see what seems like a competent staff at least addressing issues - come from where they are post draft - they are still trying to improve the team. Its ******* great. Not sure if thsi will work, but i dont think it is terrible or bad idea. Hope this is just 1 of other moves to address the line before the season. 

It would be great to see them get lucky with another teams cast cuts during preseason to upgrade our roster.

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Doubt this will be more than a 1 year deal.  Ryan could be brought in to help Harrison.  

Ryan has so many outside opportunities for his post football life, can’t think this is for long.  This guy will give his all, he won’t slack.

are you a genius? because you were correct.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

5x pro bowler 2x all pro 

How old?  And he has a history in injuries now, right?

Regardless, must be a pressing issue on our end if we pursued it, and so age aside, must be an upgrade. 

Douglas's first real, big, material move.  And it's O-line.  Ok.  I like it.  A worthy risk. :-k

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

There's a very good chance this is true, but I also wouldn't be surprised if Harrison gets a crack at Winters' job when all is said and done, considering he's never really lived up to that contract of his (which Winters also has no guarantees left in).

I think Harrison will end up being a great back up with positional versatility.  

• Upvote 3

app

11 minutes ago, Lith said:

working on this for 6  weeks???? what the hell and our A+ beat reporters somehow missed it and then upon hearing take a crap on the move? Seriously. I hate cimini etc...

it certianlly is a diff time for the NYJ's somehow the leaks got filled.

Thanks for posting this clip

• Upvote 2

NewRyan Kalil surprisingly joins Jets as Adam Gase lures latest Pro Bowler out of retirement
  • By Will Brinson
  • Aug 1, 2019 at 2:58 pm ET • 2 min read
Before the 2019 NFL season, Ryan Kalil and Thomas Davisswore they were retiring. Only Kalil followed through, as Davis joined up with the Chargers this offseason, and now Kalil has even come back to the game he loves, signing on with the New York Jets to be their center, the team announced.

Kalil was drafted by the Carolina Panthers in the second round of the 2007 NFL Draft and spent his entire career playing for the Panthers. But when he walked away, Carolina went out and splurged on Matt Paradis, who had become a free agent after time with the Broncos.

It would have been logical for Kalil to return to Carolina, but with the center void filled, he was going to need another spot.

Enter Adam Gase, the retiree whisperer. Gase famously lured Jay Cutler out of retirement when Ryan Tannehill went down with a training camp injury for the Dolphins before the 2017 season. Cutler had been slated to work for FOX Sportsin the broadcasting arena and instead ended up making a cool $10 million from Miami to come back and get beat up in a bad spot for the year. Cutler is now retired, living the dream as a reality star in Nashville.

Kalil enters a much better situation. Obviously, he'll be the starting center in New York, likely relegating Jonotthan Harrison, Jon Toth and Ryan Anderson to backup/training camp battle duties. 

It's a tremendous boost for Sam Darnold, the second-year quarterback who's drawn rave reviews for his early play in training camp, because Kalil is a solid veteran presence who can help him identify coverages, pressures, etc. and provide a steady presence under center as he grows in a new offense. 

Adding Kalil also fortifies the entire line -- it makes life easier for the guys playing guard next to him. Kalil is a two-time All-Pro and five-time Pro Bowler. It does merit watching how healthy he can. 

Kalil was fortunate to stay healthy last season and get a full 16 games in for the Panthers. The prior two seasons, age and injury caught up and he only played a combined 14 games after being healthy for much of his career. 

If the Jets can get 16 games out of the one-time retiree, they're going to be in much better shape, and there's a viable case that this offense can take a major leap in Gase's first year.

• Upvote 1