Ryan Kalil coming out of retirement!

6 minutes ago, RobR said:

I think Harrison will end up being a great back up with positional versatility.  

I think you're probably right, but my point really being that a guy like Winters has done little to deserve simply being handed a job, so if there's someone who might be able to compete with him, nothing wrong with giving him a try.  At worst, it gives Winters a little extra motivation while Harrison can know he's still getting an opportunity here.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Seriously?  Prior to this signing we had over $23M in cap space.

also, just a feeling but do you think that Blake Cashman might make Avery Williamson expendable??? 

If so that saves about $8 Mil... I get the feeling Douglas is going to make at least 2 more moves before season, Corner and a possibly look into another OL move

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

I think you're probably right, but my point really being that a guy like Winters has done little to deserve simply being handed a job, so if there's someone who might be able to compete with him, nothing wrong with giving him a try.  At worst, it gives Winters a little extra motivation while Harrison can know he's still getting an opportunity here.

For as much crap as Winters gets here, and some deservedly so, he is still a better player than Harrison. I feel a lot better today seeing how JD just upgraded the weakest spot on our line. 

This has been quite the bizarro offseason for our team. Ever since Mac got canned it's been nothing but good news. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

He’s an upgrade but it’s possible he doesn’t start. Either way this team is deeper at OL than they were an hour ago.

I was just gonna say the same thing. Could this be a depth signing?

Otherwise, it actually doesn't make sense. Sam has a year and a half of building rapport with Harrison and by all accounts, the online has been solid and cohesive in camp. Unless someone is hurt, I really think this is a vet depth signing. Toth may not be showing enough and the staff/FO worried if Harrison goes down (?)

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, Stark said:

also, just a feeling but do you think that Blake Cashman might make Avery Williamson expendable??? 

If so that saves about $8 Mil... I get the feeling Douglas is going to make at least 2 more moves before season, Corner and a possibly look into another OL move

I'd imagine health concerns with Cashman will keep the Jets from being in too big of a rush to get rid of Williamson, unless they get a very nice trade offer.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Useless move!  We can get by with Wesley Johnson....Spencer Long....Jonathan Harrison....Mike Toth...

What about my all time favortie back up Center, Colin Baxter.  That was a brutal couple of weeks.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

Rob & Lith: you guys may be right. I hadn't checked the $ before I posted. Still seems very odd given the timing and how well the offense has looked in camp so far (per reports). I think someone posted that maybe they're bringing him in to play G (over Winters)?

• Upvote 1

If Kalil still has it this is such a smart move.  Long Did so much harm to darnold early last year.  And dumbass Bowles just let it continue.

If you are going to over pay and over commit and take a chance I much prefer you do it on the oline.

Now trade beachum and a low pick for trent williams and we are set.  ?

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Don't underestimate the impact of a 12 year vet to help Sam read defenses, set protections, etc..  As long as Kalil stays healthy, I think this is a huge move for Darnold's development.  Encouraging that the O has looked good, but you still upgrade when you get a chance.

^the #1 reason this is good. A center who can help Sam read defenses and set protections is golden.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Lith said:

Don't underestimate the impact of a 12 year vet to help Sam read defenses, set protections, etc..  As long as Kalil stays healthy, I think this is a huge move for Darnold's development.  Encouraging that the O has looked good, but you still upgrade when you get a chance.

How did Kalil grade out last year in Carolina? I thought the reports on him weren't good and his game was deteriorating

22 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

Competition... Best player Plays... that's what it's all about now.