Ryan Kalil coming out of retirement!

It took me reading 3 pages of posts to accept this lol

Cautiously optimistic here. 

Assuming that he’s in shape and passes a physical his veteran experience will be awesome. 

People coming here for Sam reminds me of when people came here for Parcells. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I think the most exciting part of all this to me is that our new high football IQ GM and head coach think enough of this roster that this move is worth making.

Maybe they don't think they are as far off from competing than as others think they are.

As importantly, at the same time, Kalil must think the Jets future....is now!

A big vote of confidence.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

8 million is not an issue seeing as macagnan was paying ijalana like 5 million to get 25 snaps a year or so ago.

It's this year's Cap.  We're already set and can afford it.  No future impact to the Salary Cap is my understanding.  This is a one-year bandaid....and a big one!  Joe gets his Center in the 2nd round of the 2020 Draft.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

I think gase is totally surprised of the talent he has walked into.  With the stench of todd bowless off of them, these players are now becoming the players they should be(minus leonard williams because hes a turd no matter whos around).

This move tells me gase believes he can win now with this team.  I dont believe he thought that when he took the job.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Ian Rapoport

Stunning plot twist: Former #Panthers C Ryan Kalil will come out of his brief retirement to join... the #Jets, sources say. He’s agreed to terms, pending physical. A huge veteran influence to join QB Sam Darnold at a position of need.

ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS........

suspicious will ferrell GIF

JUST KIDDING...

THANK GOD!!!!! :) 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CTJetsFan said:

There has to be more to this signing then what has been reported. The timing is bizarre.

We've had the cap space all along. Why wait until a week into camp?

Either way his experience and vet presence are a good add for this team

Edit: is Harrison getting pinched for PEDs (speculating)?

Two reasons:

1) Joe Douglas is here now

2) Guys don't just jump out of retirement immediately.  It takes some convincing and the player has to believe in the situation he's coming into. The reviews on Sam and the offense have been stellar so far.  Many good pieces there but we're missing two or three things that could be upgraded.  Kalil happens to fit one of those major missing pieces.

I think the timing is good.  Hopefully he's in shape.  He's a veteran and doesn't have a lot to learn, only the playbook and he has about 5 weeks to do that.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I think gase is totally surprised of the talent he has walked into.  With the stench of todd bowless off of them, these players are now becoming the players they should be(minus leonard williams because hes a turd no matter whos around).

This move tells me gase believes he can win now with this team.  I dont believe he thought that when he took the job.

Eh idk if it’s that deep. It was reported he wanted a Center in the off season wasn’t it? It’s just obvious how important that position is especially with a young QB. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

This is false. You can't saddle your young QB with a gamble at center. You may as well tie his ankles together on every other play. Signing Kalil is a baseline move to create an environment where Darnold isn't impaired by avoidable confounds. If the Jets were "in it to win it," they'd be throwing picks away on veteran corners and old pass rushers. 

I was just hoping they were in it to better the team. And, if that happens, wins follow.

10 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

I think the Jets are “in it to win it” right now but also for the next 12 years. 

It’s not as if we traded our top prospects in our farm system for one chance at the gold ring. Or multiple draft picks  

We spent money, which we have, and gave up none of our future. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

This is false. You can't saddle your young QB with a gamble at center. You may as well tie his ankles together on every other play. Signing Kalil is a baseline move to create an environment where Darnold isn't impaired by avoidable confounds. If the Jets were "in it to win it," they'd be throwing picks away on veteran corners and old pass rushers. 

Avoidable confounds. 

Kudos. 

Sir. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Actually, I think it does impact future cap since unused cap space from this year is rolled forward.  $8MM incremental spend this year means that much less in carryover cap space.  Still a good use of resource in my view.

I see the rollover effect as minimal. Most free agents want 3 to 5 year contracts at that type of number. If a team gets say 2 years of productive play from that it is doing well then does a juggling act around the remaining years.  To me this is a win win even at this number and money well spent.

https://www.sny.tv/jets/news/ryan-kalil-signing-proves-once-again-jets-are-planning-to-be-playoff-contenders/309621852

Ryan Kalil signing proves once again Jets are planning to be playoff contenders

Kalil comes out of retirement on a one-year, $8.4 million deal

By Ralph Vacchiano | 4:07PM
 (Bob Donnan)
(Bob Donnan)

RalphPic_93z5jd5l.pngRalph Vacchiano | Facebook | Twitter | Archive

The Jets weren't very aggressive in what was a shallow free agent market for centers back in March. They seemed content to go with Jonotthan Harrison at that position. Or at least former GM Mike Maccagnan did.

But coach Adam Gase was reportedly uncomfortable with that decision, and now new GM Joe Douglas found a solution. In the GM's first big splash since he was hired in June, he lured Ryan Kalil, a five-time Pro Bowl center, out of retirement on Thursday.

And that could be a huge boost to the Jets' offensive line.

The fact that it costs the Jets $8.4 million for one season is yet another sign they are thinking and planning as if they are a playoff contender this season. They know they have an outstanding young quarterback and seemingly enough weapons. But the one big question they've had is whether they can adequately protect Sam Darnold, and block for running back Le'Veon Bell.

Could Harrison, a sixth-year pro, had done the job? Probably. He's a fine player, but he projects more as a backup or a spot starter. And the truth is, on a line that features left tackle Kelvin Beachum, left guard Kelechi Osemele, right guard Brian Winters and right tackle Brandon Shell, Harrison was the weakest link.

The 34-year-old Kalil could be the missing piece to that line and turn it from a question mark into a potential strength for the Jets. That possibility makes him more than worth the risk for Douglas and Gase.

And there is risk.

Even though Kalil played all 16 games for the Carolina Panthers last season, neck and shoulder injuries limited him to a combined 14 games in 2016-17. It's also unknown if he's really, physically ready for NFL action since he announced his retirement nearly seven months ago.

But if he is healthy and ready, the 6-foot-2, 300-pounder is a huge upgrade over Harrison. Of course, Harrison is still on the roster and able to go in if anything goes wrong, but the Jets now have a professional-looking line that's less of a question mark than it once was.

And if they really can keep Darnold protected and open holes for Bell, the Jets' offense could be difficult to stop.

Gase must have known that when he arrived. It's why so many expected the Jets to make a run at one of the big free agent centers - either Mitch Morse or Matt Paradis. And Paradis seemed to be a likely target since he was with Denver when Gase was the offensive coordinator there. But the Jets never really made a strong run at him, and he eventually signed a three-year, $27 million contract with the Panthers, ironically to replace the retired Kalil.

Now Gase has his upgrade at center, which should make running his offense a little bit easier than it was. Maybe Kalil will only be around one season. Maybe the Jets will have to find their center of the future next offseason. But the Jets obviously didn't make this move with the future in mind.

They brought in Kalil because they expect him to help them win right now.

Tags: Brandon Shell, Brian Winters, Kelvin Beachum, Le'Veon Bell, Sam Darnold, Ralph Vacchiano
  • Sympathy 1

ima rpeet mesef... 200.gif

this move reeks of vet leadfership for young QB, automatic full upgrade from below average to at least average with hx of above average,  as long as possible physically-- 

with overtones of on the field OL coach

200.gif

and future finishing position in the NYJ org chart for scouting /admin/coaching with JD.........

We Got This GIF by swerk

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Got to disagree with you.  I think they are convinced that if they stay healthy they can make the playoffs.  Sam is blowing them away with his progress and they want to shore up an area of weakness while increasing the depth of the O line by making a starter a back up that provides depth at two positions.  I dont know if they go after Trent Williams but I wouldnt be surprized to see them make a couple other low cost pick ups to deepen the roster.  The Jets starters overall arent bad -if they dont get hit with injuries they should be in the playoff mix at the end of the year. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Fixed

The same draft we took Adams 6 overall the Bears selected someone I was super high on as a 3rd-4th round Safety ready to step in start, AND was probably the best punt returner in the draft something the Jets were desperate for at the time.

That 4th round Safety is Eddie Jackson, was ranked not to far behind Adams in the top 100 voted by their peers, so yes Adams the player is easily replaceable.  

Joe Douglas did not draft Adams, and WHEN Adams starts his contract noise (rightfully so IMO will have no issue with Adams playing the business man like Revis did the owners have been playing it for 75+ years pluck them) Douglas may not want to hand over 12-15 mill per year with like 45 million guaranteed to a SS who can be replaced by a 3rd round pick if your GM is competent.

Now to all you guys who will make the valid argument Adams will be worth the money because his leader of men attribute is something you can’t replace.  To that I will argue that if Darnold like I, and most of the NFL becomes a top QB, and the unquestioned leader on the TEAM both Offense and Defense, all the greats have both units fall in line, then Adams leadership qualities is not really valuable to the Jets so why pay for it if you don’t need it?

Who they could have had at a lower pick doesnt mean Adams isnt untouchable.  Theres absolutely no logic to it.  Im sorry fans of the Jets have no clue how valuable Adams is.  But he is.  And its more than his play.  More Jet fantasy cries, he'll command a big contract.  Only here do we sweat out what the asking price a couple of years down the road for someone who I'm guessing will be worth it.  Its like we wish he wasnt as good as he is so we dont have to pay him.  So no, his energy, his play and his popularity say he isnt expendable.  That someone in your eyes is replaceable, I'll bet Douglas and Gase thankfully dont agree.  And even those that hate the kid for some odd reason, Mahomes, need to remember, he's played all of two seasons.  

Douglas didnt draft Darnold.  I guess hes expendable too?  After Darnold was taken Allen was taken after woods.  See, he could easily be replaced. Only if the million Mahomes fans who all wanted him with the 6th pick, sure, got their man. then we wouldnt need him either.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

43 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The future is now.

And next year, and the year after that.  With Sam Darnold the window seems open until....it isn't.  This is a smart, smart signing.  Every team has question marks and weaknesses.  The Jets are no different.  But there are SIGNIFICANTLY fewer of them now than in the past 5 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Pure nonsense because who they could have had at a lower pick doesnt mean Adams isnt untouchable.  Theres absolutely no logic to it.  Im sorry fans of the Jets have no clue how valuable Adams is.  But he is.  And its more than his play.  More Jet fantasy cries, he'll command a big contract.  Only here do we sweat out what the asking price a couple of years down the road for someone who I'm guessing will be worth it.  Its like we wish he wasnt as good as he is so we dont have to pay him.  So no, his energy, his play and his popularity say he isnt expendable.  That someone in your eyes is replaceable, I'll bet Douglas and Gase thankfully dont agree

Douglas didnt draft Darnold.  I guess hes expendable too?  Only if the million Mahomes fans who all wanted him with the 6th pick, sure, got their man. then we wouldnt need him either.  

show me one 4th q play where Adams tilted the outcome.

please.

11 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The future is now.

And next year, and the year after that.  With Sam Darnold the window seems open until....it isn't.  This is a smart, smart signing.  Every team has question marks and weaknesses.  The Jets are no different.  But there are SIGNIFICANTLY fewer of them now than in the past 5 years.

Exactly.  Sam just turned 22.  We are set up incredibly well.  Douglas looks like he knows what he is doing based on where he has been preparing for this role. It’s also clear he is gonna focus on the oline which will obviously benefit Sam.  Obviously there are question marks but that’s the case for most teams.  But between having a good young QB, a improved oline, some terrific young players on defense, and some new offensive weapons, jets are bound to take a big leap this year

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1