Ryan Kalil coming out of retirement!

16 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

How is it $8 million less to spend next year. 

There is no cap or dead money ramifications. 

So unless you are saying because we spent a dollars this year we won’t have that exact dollar to spend next year and $$ are limited, it’s not true. 

We can spend whatever we want to next year up to the cap.

The Johnson’s have never been shy about spending money, they aren’t going to tell Douglas next year his pool of $$ is $8 million less NEXT year because of what he spent this year.

They have unlimited funds limited only by the cap (and future considerations).

That $8 million would have rolled over to the cap next year and could’ve been used on a longer term contract.

But I like the move because I love the idea of trying to win now, every year.

• Sympathy 1

On 8/1/2019 at 9:02 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

Not really true. Spending $8MM this year means there’s $8MM less to spend next year.

Still a worthwhile pickup. He’s not crazy expensive and it’ll be good to have a reliable center again (assuming he still is).

Fair point but haven't the Jets been a perennial UNDER spender and doesn't that factor into the 3-year average used to compute Cap compliance?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Who they could have had at a lower pick doesnt mean Adams isnt untouchable.  Theres absolutely no logic to it.  Im sorry fans of the Jets have no clue how valuable Adams is.  But he is.  And its more than his play.  More Jet fantasy cries, he'll command a big contract.  Only here do we sweat out what the asking price a couple of years down the road for someone who I'm guessing will be worth it.  Its like we wish he wasnt as good as he is so we dont have to pay him.  So no, his energy, his play and his popularity say he isnt expendable.  That someone in your eyes is replaceable, I'll bet Douglas and Gase thankfully dont agree.  And even those that hate the kid for some odd reason, Mahomes, need to remember, he's played all of two seasons.  

Douglas didnt draft Darnold.  I guess hes expendable too?  After Darnold was taken Allen was taken after woods.  See, he could easily be replaced. Only if the million Mahomes fans who all wanted him with the 6th pick, sure, got their man. then we wouldnt need him either.  

Don’t compare the QB to a SS.  I won’t even entertain a discussion after that.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, GREENBEAN said:

Ya have to wonder just how Douglas pulled this off. Was he calling the guy and pestering him to come out of retirement for the last few weeks or something?  lol  WTF?  

How ever it happened it really does say something about Douglas' ability to get things done that no one would think realistic. This is really insane news. Even if its just as insurance behind Harrison it's a great move. GREAT MOVE!!! 

Kalil said he was a “big” Sam Darnold fan — not surprising considering Kalil himself went to USC. But Darnold’s presence with the Jets is a big reason Kalil believed this opportunity was worth taking.

https://theathletic.com/1111418/2019/08/01/breaking-down-what-the-addition-of-ryan-kalil-means-for-the-jets/

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 3

10 hours ago, Lith said:

Intersting little fact (to me at least)

Back in 2007 draft, when we moved up to get Revis, we sent our 2nd to the Panthers; which they used to take Ryan Kalil.  Hopefully Kalil's career will end better than Darrelle's did.

God damn, way to put his age in perspective lol

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Center was the scariest weakness on the team before this move. CB is scary but you can scheme your way around Daryl Roberts.

If Sam Darnold gets hurt because they didn't address the offensive line, you can scheme your way to the unemployment line.

Joe Douglas starting to moves out of nowhere. The question is could you have seen Mike McCoffee pull this off?

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

16 hours ago, Stark said:

Me... Looking at Calendar... it's not April 1st..... so not April Fools...

Me... looking at the tweets and still thinking someone is F*çking with me

Will be interesting if he's still got it. If the neck and shoulder are healed then this could be very good.

He played 16 games last season.  I think he is good on the injury front.  The question is at 34 what is he going to give you?  I think he will be fine for the next two years but only time will tell..... 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Maxman said:

Center was the scariest weakness on the team before this move. CB is scary but you can scheme your way around Daryl Roberts.

If Sam Darnold gets hurt because they didn't address the offensive line, you can scheme your way to the unemployment line.

Could you imagine if we go and get Trent Williams all in one weekend ?!? 

The left side of the line ?. Williams, KO, Kalil

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

Agreed its a absolute miracle Sam didnt get killed last season between Long snapping the ball almost over his head constantly and running for his life on most plays. It really shows how talented and Versatile Sam is. Adding Osemele and Kalil provides veteran leadership and upgrades.  Harrison becomes good depth just in case and maybe can learn more from Kalil.  I expect douglas to focus more on the oline next offseason given his backround and the importance of keeping Sam as safe as possible

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, HelenOfTroy said:

Kalil said he was a “big” Sam Darnold fan — not surprising considering Kalil himself went to USC. But Darnold’s presence with the Jets is a big reason Kalil believed this opportunity was worth taking.

https://theathletic.com/1111418/2019/08/01/breaking-down-what-the-addition-of-ryan-kalil-means-for-the-jets/

I bet that has a lot to do with it actually.  We are only scratching the surface of the Darnold effect. If he has the season we are all hoping for we will attract the upper tier of offensive FA's in the future.  Gone will be the days of consistently being used to get other teams to pay more for the players we want. 

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Jets723 said:

Agreed its a absolute miracle Sam didnt get killed last season between Long snapping the ball almost over his head constantly and running for his life on most plays. It really shows how talented and Versatile Sam is. Adding Osemele and Kalil provides veteran leadership and upgrades.  Harrison becomes good depth just in case and maybe can learn more from Kalil.  I expect douglas to focus more on the oline next offseason given his backround and the importance of keeping Sam as safe as possible

Right.  I honestly think we are about to enter the days of the Jets being known for their offensive line. Big athletic bruisers with an attitude are on their way. This signing is a fantastic bridge to help protect Sam in the mean time.  Go get them beefcakes JD!!!! 

• Upvote 2