NY Area Deadheads: FYI

https://store.dead.net/special-edition-shops/giants-stadium/giants-stadium-1987-1989-1991-boxed-set.html

This year's GD Boxset is all Giants Stadium shows!  one from 1987, two from 1989, two from 1991.

I know we have a few Heads here, so if you were a late-era Deadhead in NY, these are your shows,

Bit pricey, but I'm guessing worth it (I ordered it).

Enjoy!

giantsstadium_box_cover_1.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, CTM said:

Noodle dancing hippo

My freshman college roommate showed in 1984 up with two milk cases of dead bootleg tapes. All the way from the 70’s tapes his parents made to ones he later did himself. Saw about 20+ shows together.  We were at a 1987 show, least till we weren’t, then we were again. Still one of my favorites to listen to when nothing matters. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Crusher said:

My freshman college roommate showed in 1983 up with two milk cases of dead bootleg tapes. All the way from the 70’s tapes his parents made to ones he later did himself. Saw about 20+ shows together.  Still one of my favorites to listen to when nothing matters. 

Freaken 10+ years of busting my balls and you're a fan of too?

Side note to NY area dead fans : DSO is playing the aforenentioned 89 Giants Dead Show in Asbury next weekend.

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, CTM said:

Freaken 10+ years of busting my balls and you're a fan of too?

Side note to NY area dead fans : DSO is playing the aforenentioned 89 Giants Dead Show in Asbury next weekend.

I broke your balls for noodle dancing and taping phish shows with a little cassette micro-corder. Nothing to with TGD. I’ve never seen a phish show. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Just saw this show I saw in 91 on the big screen last night, what a show. ......If you haven't seen DSO they are pretty good at what they do they are at the Pony 8/10/19...duplicating another great GS show 7/9/89......I was skeptical at first. Beggars can't be choosers. Seen over 350...JGB/GD/RH shows they are pretty good, second to the movie.Message_1564750560679.thumb.jpg.33c2febaf71d54bcf523e554a6b1dd74.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Just saw this show I saw in 91 on the big screen last night, what a show. 

You did the Night at the Movies too?  My wife (the real Head) and I went too. 

It was indeed a great show, really enjoyed it.  Apparently, that show will be on DVD/Blue-Ray in the Box Set.

Sadly, I'm both younger and a late-comer to the Dead, so I never saw the real deal live myself.  Was busy doing Metallica and similar shows circa 1988-1995 when I coulda been at Dead Shows.  But I'mm be damned if I didn't get the bug hard in my middle years, and I'm going to make up for what I missed by buying and listening to every live show I can get my grubby hands on now :)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Apache 51 said:

Just saw this show I saw in 91 on the big screen last night, what a show. ......If you haven't seen DSO they are pretty good at what they do they are at the Pony 8/10/19...duplicating another great GS show 7/9/89......I was skeptical at first. Beggars can't be choosers. Seen over 350...JGB/GD/RH shows they are pretty good, second to the movie.Message_1564750560679.thumb.jpg.33c2febaf71d54bcf523e554a6b1dd74.jpg

I think I mentioned them before but JRAD is the best thing going in the dead cover scene imo. Just a random video, most people seem to post the full shows these days. They typically go deep but rage as well. They are playing Philly in Sept highly recommend to any dead fan

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Like 87, 89, 91 shows those Dicks picks etc. are pricy 300 400$, crazy. Yes, was only $21 for my wife and I. My friends brothers were ten years older so I was listening at 10 and to my first show at age 13, in 1978. Good times, good times, War.

fullsizeoutput_72f.jpeg.3a66076a85a3d8e7c008920995d7decf.jpeg

Here is what I figure, whatever minimal success I've had professionally in my life, I don't get to take the cash with me when I drop inevitably drop dead at 50 of a massive heart attack.

I may as well enjoy it while I'm here, and subscribing to Dave's Picks every year (4 full shows for ~$100 every year) and buying the annual Box Set, that makes me (and my wife) happy, and they get a ton of listens all day long at work and on weekends while hanging out.  It's worth it.  

With that said, the Dave's Picks I missed.....going for those $300/per to $700/per on the secondary market......well, guess those I'll never get to hear, lol!

Life isn't about things I've come to realize, it's about experiences and loved ones.  Same reason these days I never miss a D&C show, and try to sit as up front as I can.  It's just money, and it worth trading for some joy. No way of knowing how long we still have Bob and Micky and Bill at this point. :)

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

How old are you two?   Millennials and a bit gen x have moved to this experiences thing versus the boomers who wanted more things. 

Back part of Gen x, but yeah I almost responded that millenials figured it out pretty quickly 

I was at one of the '91 shows with my brother and his friends. 

My brother: Hey Allen, give my brother some acid!

Allen: I only have seven hits!

Allen relinquished. Steve Miller opened up. I was feeling pretty good by the time I walked thru the gate on the floor and Steve Miller was playing Living In The USA. Something I'll never forget. That and having an actual traveling Dead Head's armpit cross paths with my eye. I thought I might die. 

• Haha 2

On 8/2/2019 at 10:45 PM, batman10023 said:

How old are you two?   Millennials and a bit gen x have moved to this experiences thing versus the boomers who wanted more things. 

Yes, I haven't been about "things" since I was in middle school in the mid-90s. My wife and I spend almost all of our income which isn't reserved for general living and our newborn on experiences - live shows, travel, fine dining, hiking, etc.

• Upvote 1

On 8/1/2019 at 8:36 PM, The Crusher said:

My freshman college roommate showed in 1984 up with two milk cases of dead bootleg tapes. All the way from the 70’s tapes his parents made to ones he later did himself. Saw about 20+ shows together.  We were at a 1987 show, least till we weren’t, then we were again. Still one of my favorites to listen to when nothing matters. 

I didn't get into the Dead till High School in the early '00s, so obviously I missed Jerry and most of the true GD shows, but back then there was a website which had like thousands of songs and live shows for free download, and I listened to everything. I also loved following along on the Annotated Lyrics website. I am blanking on both sites right now but I'll try to find them a bit later and post them if anyone is interested (and also, if they're even still around).

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Free songs: https://archive.org/details/GratefulDead

Also, let it be known that the Dead fully embrace the above site and have no problem sharing their music with the world for free.

Annotated Lyrics: http://artsites.ucsc.edu/GDead/agdl/

Thats a great site.....I have a ton of tapes, mostly soundboards. The tape is obsolete now.

Would like to see just bob, and phil for an  hour 1/2 that would suffice. Not into Phish, Rat dog, Lesh& Friends. etc. seen them all at least once. The Other Ones.... wasn't to bad.

8 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

Thats a great site.....I have a ton of tapes, mostly soundboards. The tape is obsolete now.

Would like to see just bob, and phil for an  hour 1/2 that would suffice. Not into Phish, Rat dog, Lesh& Friends. etc. seen them all at least once. The Other Ones.... wasn't to bad.

I live less than 10 mins away from the Capitol Theater in Westchester and am so upset that I missed John Mayer playing with the Dead last year. My wife's cousin was getting married that weekend and I couldn't go. I love Mayer's non mainstream stuff anyway, and it would have been cool to see him play with them.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, greenwichjetfan said:

I live less than 10 mins away from the Capitol Theater in Westchester and am so upset that I missed John Mayer playing with the Dead last year. My wife's cousin was getting married that weekend and I couldn't go. I love Mayer's non mainstream stuff anyway, and it would have been cool to see him play with them.

I think he has been exceptional playing the role he does in Dead & Company.  Seen them 5 times so far, can't wait to see them again (I hope).