Daniel Jones Update

1 minute ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

Says no one. Daniel Jones has a long long way to go to show that he can even start, much less assume Eli Manning's role. He was seriously over-drafted. Not his fault, but it sets him up with enormous expectations, which he will very likely fail.

Betting on a QB to bust—any QB—is the easiest money in Vegas.

• Upvote 2

I think in a Pat Schurmer designed offense, and a coachable Daniel Jones the Giants offense can look like the Case Keenum Vikings season, but better as long as they surround him with weapons, and Barkley is a big time weapon, but they need to go out, and get him a legit #1.

If the Giants panic, and fire Schurmer after this season then all bets are off for Jones, if a defensive coach comes in like Bowles, and Ryan he will bust no doubt.

I might be in the minority but I didn't pile on the Giants when they made this pick.  Did i think they reached for him at 6?  yes absolutely.  However personally I didn't care.  I more focused on my own team.  In fact I want to thank the Giants because they passed on Sam.  If Jones somehow works out for them that's perfectly fine I don't really care.  Honestly I don't hate the Giants.  I hate the Patriots because they have gotten way with  a lot of cheating/shady behavior.  Beating them is much more important to me 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Keep laughing-DG is going to get the last laugh. I believe the three best young QBs in the NFL  Mahomes,  Josh Allen, and Daniel Jones (Gettleman endorsement). 

Daniel Jones:

Overall stats: 11-of-13 passing with 3 touchdowns

7-on-7 red-zone stats: 2-of-4 passing with 2 touchdowns

Shortly after the coaches pulled the plug on the first-team offense’s drive, Jones followed up his nice rollout completion with arguably his best throw of the summer.

Paul Perkins ran an extended wheel-route deep down the sideline and Jones stepped up in the pocket and rifled the ball approximately 50 yards downfield to the running back for a touchdown. It was a beautiful pass and yet another example of Jones’ arm-talent on the deep ball, which has been evident and better than expected ever since his arrival at this spring’s rookie camp.

jimmy fallon no GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

I learned the hard way from getting caught up in Petty-mania that you cannot judge backup QBs in training camp.  They are playing with and against 2nd stringers.  The Giants will continue to plant quotes and stories about how amazing he is to take the heat off of Gettleman, all the while standing firm that there is no QB competition.  The thing that stands out to me is that 1st round QBs start at some point in their rookie years.  Almost always.  The only exceptions I can think of in the last 15 years or so are Rodgers (behind Favre), Jake Locker (sucked a**) and Brady Quinn (sucked a**).  Mahomes did start only 1 game in his rookie year.

it used to be more normal for QBs to sit and learn their first year, but now with the way rookie contracts and salary caps work, it's almost essential to get every snap possible out of a great young QB before they start cashing $2MM game checks every week.  You get 4 years plus the not-so-cheap-anymore 5th year option.  Giving up a full season is not a luxury anymore.  All the PR puff pieces in the world don't change that reality.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I learned the hard way from getting caught up in Petty-mania that you cannot judge backup QBs in training camp.  They are playing with and against 2nd stringers.  The Giants will continue to plant quotes and stories about how amazing he is to take the heat off of Gettleman, all the while standing firm that there is no QB competition.  The thing that stands out to me is that 1st round QBs start at some point in their rookie years.  Almost always.  The only exceptions I can think of in the last 15 years or so are Rodgers (behind Favre), Jake Locker (sucked a**) and Brady Quinn (sucked a**).  Mahomes did start only 1 game in his rookie year.

it used to be more normal for QBs to sit and learn their first year, but now with the way rookie contracts and salary caps work, it's almost essential to get every snap possible out of a great young QB before they start cashing $2MM game checks every week.  You get 4 years plus the not-so-cheap-anymore 5th year option.  Giving up a full season is not a luxury anymore.  All the PR puff pieces in the world don't change that reality.

The Giants know what they are doing. They have a plan and are executing it to perfection. No need to put added pressure on Jones right now. 

2 minutes ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

The Giants know what they are doing. They have a plan and are executing it to perfection. No need to put added pressure on Jones right now. 

Maybe.  They do have a plan.  But if it doesn't work out, their fans will be calling for heads louder than we did for Idzik's.  The combination of eschewing a QB to take Barkley, combined with the feel of an overdraft of Jones this year isn't going to give Gettleman a lot of leeway with the fans.  If Jones isn't starting and playing well by next season, it's going to blow up in his face. 

The "We didn't sign Odell to trade him" quote doesn't help inspire confidence either.  Ironically, I think that ultimately was a solid move by him as it netted them the picks in exchange for about $16MM in dead cap this year.  Combine with the Vernon trade they are in a jam this year, but will be fine next year. 

Still...as we know, it all starts and ends with the QB.  Get it right and you're a hero.  Get it wrong and nothing else you do will matter.  Jones, fairly or not, will probably be measured against Darnold and Haskins for different reasons.  And Gettleman will be handcuffed to that comparison for better or worse.

Guys, as long as it's about football and stays relevant to the thread title, it's fine.  Objections noted but just stop reading it if it bothers you.  By the time the first pre-season game rolls around next weekend, this will be long gone from the 1st page.

43 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

My favorite reaction to the Daniel Jones pick. The idiot in the LT jersey is my brother. The guy cackling at him is his best friend, who is an Eagles fan. ?

That’s hilarious. The Philly fan had me rolling. Haha. He even throughout a nice loud ”Gettlemen!!!!”

50 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

My favorite reaction to the Daniel Jones pick. The idiot in the LT jersey is my brother. The guy cackling at him is his best friend, who is an Eagles fan. ?

OMG this is the funniest post in a long time.  Thanks for posting!!!!!  Love that relentless Eagles fan.  That's the way to do it!

15 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I think in a Pat Schurmer designed offense, and a coachable Daniel Jones the Giants offense can look like the Case Keenum Vikings season, but better as long as they surround him with weapons, and Barkley is a big time weapon, but they need to go out, and get him a legit #1.

If the Giants panic, and fire Schurmer after this season then all bets are off for Jones, if a defensive coach comes in like Bowles, and Ryan he will bust no doubt.

Sure, if he gets a number 1 WR and a very good OL, a good TE and barkley, etc. He just might not look like the raw clueless rookie that he is.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:
MaAIgBaS_bigger.jpg

From Inside Training Camp: Eli Manning is the #Giants starter and when Daniel Jones has to play, he‘ll be ready. ... but Jones has been even better than the team imagined, thus far

This reminds of the quote from the Bills after they drafted and had EJ Manual in camp. The HC , Maroon,said "He's the most NFL ready QB I have ever seen". He just retired. I don't know if Jones is that bad but......

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:
MaAIgBaS_bigger.jpg

From Inside Training Camp: Eli Manning is the #Giants starter and when Daniel Jones has to play, he‘ll be ready. ... but Jones has been even better than the team imagined, thus far

This is how schefter gets inside info on trades. In exchange for real info he helps teams spread nonsense like this to calm down the fanbase. 

• WTF? 1