WayneChrebet80

Daniel Jones Update

22 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

If I have to listen to this sh*t all season, I'm gonna get myself banned.

It’s becoming a bit unbearable and I have a threshold for trolls. This damn mosquito keeps trying to convince us the Giants made the right decision. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

In my professional opinion, Daniel Jones will be an average QB.  

He, honestly, probably will be decent.  I actually thought that he was one kid from this recent class that could be a stud. 

That being said, I don't go on a Jets forum and tell Jets fans that I can't wait to see him shred our team in his first pre-season action.  I also don't tell Jets fans that Darnold looked like a rookie tonight and that Daniel Jones, against our awful backups, looked like a seasoned vet.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

I thought he was seriously underrated by the pundits in the draft in the sense that when you watch the tape on him, he always made the right decisions, and that of course translates really well to the NFL (unlike the crazy stuff Kyler did in college).

Pretty good accuracy as well.  But, his arm strength is mediocre at best, and he did stare down his receivers.  Both of those things will be pretty harsh on him for a few years I think.

We shall see.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, New York Mick said:

Can we change WC80’s name? It’s disrespectful to the real Chrebet.  

And to me. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Hackenberg wasn’t drafted by Dave Gettleman, and wasn’t groomed by David Cutcliffe. What we saw today from Jones was very impressive. 

Cutcliffe was such a great developer that Jones completed less than 60 % of his throws for just 6.4 YPA over his 3 years.  Such genius, amazing development. 

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Hael said:

Pretty good accuracy as well.  But, his arm strength is mediocre at best,

No, Jones has a solid NFL arm.  Saw him complete a 45 yard pass in college running to his opposite side and leaning back from the tackler in addition.  That ended the argument about Jones' arm strength.

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

And to me. 

I'm confused... How is disrespecting Wayne Chrebet any issue to a guy who's username honors Lam Jones? :mellow:

• Haha 1

Let the games begin!

Pat Shurmur: “Slow your roll” about a Giants quarterback controversy

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 9, 2019, 5:14 AM EDT

Giants coach Pat Shurmur doesn’t want to hear about a quarterback controversy.

After rookie Daniel Jones put on a show in Thursday night’s preseason opener, Shurmur was asked what he would say to fans who think it’s time for Jones to replace Eli Manning.

“I think, ‘Slow your roll,’” Shurmur said.

Manning went three-and-out on his only series, while Jones went 5-for-5 including a touchdown pass on his only series. Shurmur said it’s too soon to anoint Jones.

“This is just his first go around,” Shurmur said of Jones. “I think he did a good job. As I mentioned, all along he has done nothing to disappoint us, and certainly when you take the team down the field and score a touchdown, that’s a good start. It’s something good to build on. We have a lot of time left before we start playing games. Nothing at this point has changed.”

Shurmur said Jones made some mistakes that the coaching staff noticed but fans and the media wouldn’t.

“He didn’t motion the tight end across on the first play,” Shurmur said. “Those types of things. Things that we see. As I mentioned, to the naked eye, you possibly didn’t see.”

One preseason game is too soon to make any proclamations, but suffice to say that if Jones and Manning look in the next two preseason games like they looked in the first one, it’s going to be awfully hard for Shurmur to slow down fans’ desire to move on from Manning and see Jones as the Week One starter.

Dan Jones way outplayed Sammy last night. Sammy threw a real head scratcher on that pass to Enunwa. Pretty I'll advised and outright DUMB pass to throw. Meanwhile, Jones played quite well. I'm impressed.

• Downvote 1

9 hours ago, nico002 said:

Lmao jones did nothing but hit his first read- watch it again. Zero pressure, first read open, highly scripted, never had to even look in another direction. Literally showed no skill... any quarterback in the NFL could have done that....

The slant to Tate was into a relatively tight window, the throw to Latimer involved working through a progression, and the TD pass was perfectly placed.

He did a good job working with the Giants' 1s against the Jets 2s. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

The slant to Tate was into a relatively tight window, the throw to Latimer involved working through a progression, and the TD pass was perfectly placed.

He did a good job working with the Giants' 1s against the Jets 2s. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that.

Yup. Gints are not stupid. They trotted him out in the safest possible circumstances and the kid did well. I want to see him under pressure with a decent secondary. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Doggin94it said:

You cant acknowledge that when you are a red headed stepchild fan.  You have to trash, jones, mayfield, gettleman etc.  Anyone who in anyway is connected w/ sam darnold needs to be ridiculed at every turn.

Sadly, 90% of jet fans are red headed stepchildren.

• Upvote 1

Jones was fine. Maybe he’ll be the one who bucks the trend of improving accuracy in the pros. The Jets second team is also very bad so keep that in mind.

Darnold’s first pass wasn’t good. You just can’t have that. Telegraphed and should have been picked/possible 6 the other way. He settled in and looked fine after that. Giants weren’t bringing much. 

Not much else to take away. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Hackenberg wasn’t drafted by Dave Gettleman, and wasn’t groomed by David Cutcliffe. What we saw today from Jones was very impressive. 

My point was that in Hackenberg's first series in his first preseason game, he lit it up, marching down the field for a TD.  People got excited and thought maybe he was the real deal.  We never saw anything very good from him ever past that first drive.

Jones isn't Hack, but you can't say how someone is going to turn out just because of their first drive.

• Upvote 4

I, for one, hope he's great. If the Giants keep sucking, the rivalry turns to crap. Same reason I want the Pats to do well after Brady: I want to beat them at their best, not their worst. 

I mean, you guys can't tell me you wouldn't like to beat a Brady-led Pats team more than a Pats team with a scrub at QB. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PCP63 said:

I, for one, hope he's great. If the Giants keep sucking, the rivalry turns to crap. Same reason I want the Pats to do well after Brady: I want to beat them at their best, not their worst. 

I mean, you guys can't tell me you wouldn't like to beat a Brady-led Pats team more than a Pats team with a scrub at QB. 

This is how I think, the way I was taught to think.

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

Canton

Kid has everything it takes and he will get stronger. Proto type.

What you had to like was the decision making, the accuracy being able to throw on the run. What we saw from Sam on some occasions not all last season. If Jones plays in 2019 unless he is a phenomenon it won't be this smooth. But right now it looks like a great draft pick. 

13 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

Yup.  Not to mention, the Giants are the only team that got in the way of an undefeated Pats season and 2 more Super Bowls.  I can't hate on the Giants.  

8 Super Bowls by the Pats would have been intolerable.

Agreed.  I could care less if Daniel Jones becomes good or not, doesn't affect me in the slightest.  let me put it this way if Darnold gives us 2 superbowls over the next 6-7 years then Jones could be a HOF for all I care lol

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, glenn31 said:

I'm confused... How is disrespecting Wayne Chrebet any issue to a guy who's username honors Lam Jones? :mellow:

LOL, nicely done.

But I was born in 1986.  You do the math.  :)

Who cares if Jones shat on our crappy secondary

Sam and Trevor Siemian both looked good last night

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Excited to see Jones next week 

Isn’t there a giants messageboard you can post on or is it so dead over there you don’t bother?

3 hours ago, DetroitRed said:

Does anyone know if Jets had any starters on the field ? That is such a huge factor vs a starting offense.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Our secondary is hideous.  Geno Smith would look decent facing our starters

1 hour ago, WayneChrebet80 said:

Excited to see Jones next week 

Who cares? 

1 minute ago, Philc1 said:

Our secondary is hideous.  Geno Smith would look decent facing our starters

Jones reminded me of Geno last night.  If you look at each of his passes, the ball is out in like 1.5 - 2 seconds.  he throws to his first read each time.  staring down receivers, etc.   guess what?  Geno excelled at that too!  but when read #1 wasn't open, and Geno had to use that peanut of a brain he has, that's when he got into trouble!

10 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

Jones reminded me of Geno last night.  If you look at each of his passes, the ball is out in like 1.5 - 2 seconds.  he throws to his first read each time.  staring down receivers, etc.   guess what?  Geno excelled at that too!  but when read #1 wasn't open, and Geno had to use that peanut of a brain he has, that's when he got into trouble!

Like Mike Tyson said "Everyone has a plan until he gets punched in the mouth".

So back to Geno...

• Upvote 2
  • Like 1