Polite is a bust

2 hours ago, Freemanm said:

Thank GOD we have you....no sense even letting him play in his first ever pro pre-season game.

Perhaps we could get a 7th rounder from someone REALLY desperate.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Very surprised to hear the world's fattest 230 lb linebacker is having trouble getting the edge against third string camp-body OLmen. I thought for sure we were getting that wrecking ball player I saw on youtube absolutely dominating Prairie View A&M

Holy sh*t. 

Even for you. 

This is reprehensible. 

• WTF? 1

19 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

Holy sh*t. 

Even for you. 

This is reprehensible. 

--One year of college production

--Played at a reported, undersized 230 pounds

--Showed up to the Combine fat

--Made excuses for said fat

--Blamed mysterious, unnamed advisor for fat

--Runs a 4.84/40 at Combine

--Jumps a Bill Wennington-esque 31" at the Combine

--His position coach implied he was an unserious douche

--Showed up to his Pro Day--a full month later--even fatter

--Ran a glacial 5.01/40 at Pro Day

--Blames poor 40 on mysterious hamstring injury incurred, allegedly, five weeks earlier

--Despite league-wide bloodlust need for pass rushers, drops to the bottom of the third round

--Goes through two full weeks of camp entirely incapable of rushing the passer, even in drills, despite going against second- and third-team tackles.

--Gets passed over in camp for reps by superstuds Frank Luvu and Harvey Langi 

Other than some YouTube highlights, what's the positive case for Polite? That he was drafted by Mike Maccagnan (who also drafted similarly unathletic pass rushers Dylan Donahue and Lorenzo Mauldin)?

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 2
  • Sympathy 2

18 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

--Blames poor 40 on mysterious hamstring injury incurred, allegedly, five weeks earlier

--Despite league-wide bloodlust need for pass rushers, drops to the bottom of the third round

--Goes through two full weeks of camp entirely incapable of rushing the passer, even in drills, despite going against second- and third-team tackles.

Other than some YouTube highlights, what's the positive case for Polite? That he was drafted by Mike Maccagnan (who also drafted similarly unathletic pass rushers Dylan Donahue and Lorenzo Mauldin)?

If only there was some way too predict that a player would not transition to the NFL. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 3

12 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

He “dropped” to the FOURTH pick of the 3rd round.

Even though he “failed to meet Gator standards,” (which means he’s not Tim Tebow) he still managed to tally 17.5 TFL, 11 sacks, and 6 FFs while starting just 5 of 13 games played as a junior. 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Greenseed4 said:

He “dropped” to the FOURTH pick of the 3rd round.

Even though he “failed to meet Gator standards,” (which means he’s not Tim Tebow) he still managed to tally 17.5 TFL, 11 sacks, and 6 FFs while starting just 5 of 13 games played as a junior. 

JiF actually graduated from UF but you’re up in here talking about “Gator standards”?????

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

David Montgomery (RB), Terry McLaurin (WR) and David Long (CB) will all be guys we’ll be crying about in two years 

It's Darrell Henderson that we are going to regret not drafting over Polite, not the scrubs you mentioned minus Long.  McLaurin has bust written all over him and Montgomery is meh.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCJet said:

Danielle Hunter, a former 3rd round pick started 1 game as a rookie and played as a situational pass rusher, finishing with 6 sack.

He's had 12, 7 and 14 sacks in each of the last 3 seasons as a starter.  So is situational pass rusher bad as a rookie?

So is the lesson that we should draft pass rushers that have a girl's name?

10 minutes ago, RobR said:

It's Darrell Henderson that we are going to regret not drafting over Polite, not the scrubs you mentioned minus Long.  McLaurin has bust written all over him and Montgomery is meh.

I love Montgomery as a player and the Bears think he’s already a feature back: 

https://wgntv.com/2019/08/01/david-montgomery-earns-high-praise-quickly-in-bears-training-camp/amp/

“He has some of the best vision that I’ve seen in a long time,” said Nagy of Montgomery. “He feels where the defenders are before they show up, so that’s good.”

Really, it’s great for the team’s third-round pick, who is expected to see a healthy amount of playing time in the Bears’ backfield with Tarik Cohen and Mike Davis. His body of work at Iowa State, where he rushed for 2,925 yards and had a knack for breaking multiple tackles on his way to big runs, has been complemented by his early work in OTAs and training camp.

“The signs he’s shown are definitely very promising,” said Cohen of Montgomery. “He’s a strong runner, and he can also cut. His legs are very strong. He led the NCAA in broken tackles. So I’m ready to see him ball.””

• Thumb Down 1

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I love Montgomery as a player and the Bears think he’s already a feature back: 

https://wgntv.com/2019/08/01/david-montgomery-earns-high-praise-quickly-in-bears-training-camp/amp/

“He has some of the best vision that I’ve seen in a long time,” said Nagy of Montgomery. “He feels where the defenders are before they show up, so that’s good.”

Really, it’s great for the team’s third-round pick, who is expected to see a healthy amount of playing time in the Bears’ backfield with Tarik Cohen and Mike Davis. His body of work at Iowa State, where he rushed for 2,925 yards and had a knack for breaking multiple tackles on his way to big runs, has been complemented by his early work in OTAs and training camp.

“The signs he’s shown are definitely very promising,” said Cohen of Montgomery. “He’s a strong runner, and he can also cut. His legs are very strong. He led the NCAA in broken tackles. So I’m ready to see him ball.””

We'll see. I see Montgomery as a plugger type of player  and McClaurin has no hands. What you posted is no different than the fluff pieces we get here as Jets fans. Henderson should have been the pick and if Gurley comes up limp this year you'll see why.

I would ask what KRL thinks over Costello. 

I have no idea about Costello, but the limited time I spent at camp I have seen:

-Reporters not watching practice for stretches at a time

-Reporters missing practice and sending tweets making it look like they were there

Who knows what will happen with Polite. But I will need to see it with my own eyes before I believe anything. The main stream guys haven't earned my confidence unfortunately.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 4

1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I would ask what KRL thinks over Costello. 

I have no idea about Costello, but the limited time I spent at camp I have seen:

-Reporters not watching practice for stretches at a time

-Reporters missing practice and sending tweets making it look like they were there

Who knows what will happen with Polite. But I will need to see it with my own eyes before I believe anything. The main stream guys haven't earned my confidence unfortunately.

you'd think they'd be excited to do their jobs. Jobs that other people would kill to get. I hope the ones who fit the bolded get fired. They suck and I'll bet I can guess at least one.  

• Sympathy 2

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You answered your own question.

This is a classic “Maccagnan”.  A “Maccagnan” is the type of draft pick that is removed entirely from the NFL in Under 365 days from selection and earns the title of “Maccagnan” since it occurs around 90% of the time.

I swear I would have rather had Elmer Fudd as GM.

After being cut all his picks should be branded with a tattoo of an image of Maccagnan intently watching Hackenberg work out...for stealing money.

Who would even hire that guy as just the lowliest Scout today?

Then when I finally learned that he was about to be FIRED in Houston and was then almost immediately Upped to GM of the NYJ.  I think that made the Top 3 in Jet fandom misery for me.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

7 hours ago, BCJet said:

Danielle Hunter, a former 3rd round pick started 1 game as a rookie and played as a situational pass rusher, finishing with 6 sack.

He's had 12, 7 and 14 sacks in each of the last 3 seasons as a starter.  So is situational pass rusher bad as a rookie?

On a team that won 4 games last year with a horrid defense yes.

This coaching staff could give two sh*ts where you were drafted. Right now we have no clue what will become of Polite because Gregg Williams is already testing his fortitude by making him run with the 3s. 

There's new bosses in Florham Park & everyone earns their keep here. I actually posted before camp you probably won't see much of Polite except in situational pass rushes that will increase maybe in the 2nd half of the season. Can we let these guys learn how to adapt to the NFL? 

Everyone here would have cut Quincy Enunwa based on his 1st year. 

10 hours ago, Larz said:

All I was expecting from him was situational pass rusher, 25 reps a game 

lets give these guys more than 10 practices before getting hysterical, ok?

he is probably getting held a lot more and has to learn how to deal with it

I agree the kid has every single red flag he could have and that includes being drafted by Mike “ rush what?” Mac. But honestly I find it hard to believe anyone expected him to come in and blow camp up right away. Hopefully he gets motivated by getting pushed around by 2nd and 3rd stringers and decides to prove himself . I think the physical gifts are there but mentally he’s proved to be miles and miles away.  You are certainly playing the odds on the house side calling him a bust. Up to him to prove  you wrong. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Larz said:

Lets give these guys more than 10 practices before getting hysterical, ok?

This.  And I was no fan whatsoever of his pick (I wanted the guy the Pats got, badly).

But lets at least see the kid play before being so definitively declarative.

39 minutes ago, Ohhthepain said:

Hows Chase Winovich been doing?

Sometimes the Internet gifts you with so much more than the answer you were looking for.

https://www.patriots.com/news/winovich-making-the-most-out-of-each-day

The third-round pick hasn’t been getting a ton of reps during training camp. However, each day Winovich has stayed after practice to get additional work in. Today, getting work in with Brady was something new.

“I just happened to be there,” Winovich said of working with Brady. “We already had, kind of, a relationship."

Thank you, Internet!  You rock!

• Haha 2