Polite is a bust

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

He inherited $80 mil in cap space and then went 24-40, finishing in last place three out of four years. The talent on the roster is so destitute that it’s going to take two to three years to simply become competitive. Regarding Darnold, you’ll recall Maccagnan’s actual plan was to give Kirk Cousins $124 million in cash to prop up his horrid roster, and Kirk Cousins said “no.” If the Giants took Darnold in the draft, the Jets would be sitting here with Josh Allen and little else. 

You're wrong about this.  I learned from @SAR I that Macc was just CJ's puppet the whole time.  CJ was the one who wanted Kirk Cousins.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

NYSF Magazine
WOW! 3 possible sacks in a row for Polite! Hewitt also in on the pressure #JetsCamp #Jets
Blogger / Podcaster
  •  
  •  
  •  

NYSF Magazine
Wow...Polite just went around Eric Smith untouched for another would be sack. Great first step off the line, Smith had no shot #JetsCamp #Jets
Blogger / Podcaster
  •  
  • Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, Bruce Harper said:
NYSF Magazine
WOW! 3 possible sacks in a row for Polite! Hewitt also in on the pressure #JetsCamp #Jets
Blogger / Podcaster
  •  
  •  
  •  

NYSF Magazine
Wow...Polite just went around Eric Smith untouched for another would be sack. Great first step off the line, Smith had no shot #JetsCamp #Jets
Blogger / Podcaster
  •  

I’ll be the last guy to make a Polite is a bust comment. If you look in the Draft day thread, I was calling for the Jets to take him, and actually predicted the spot where we would take him (3rd round pick) during the second round.

I still think he’s going to be a good player for us, but  I have to be honest. I don’t like that he’s been playing with, and making these “sacks” against 2nd and 3rd string players. In fact I’ve noticed from the tweets from camp almost every play he’s made has come when lined up against Eric Smith.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

I’ll be the last guy to make a Polite is a bust comment. If you look in the Draft day thread, I was calling for the Jets to take him, and actually predicted the spot where we would take him (3rd round pick) during the second round.

I still think he’s going to be a good player for us, but  I have to be honest. I don’t like that he’s been playing with, and making these “sacks” against 2nd and 3rd string players. In fact I’ve noticed from the tweets from camp almost every play he’s made has come when lined up against Eric Smith.

Eh.  I wouldn't make too much of it.  You can only beat who they put in front of you.  If he keeps beating up Smith he will get to move on to the next guy.  Good news is that Smith was supposedly a guy with quick feet, susceptible to bull rushes and counters, while Polite was primarily a speed rusher (now with questioned speed).  

• Sympathy 2

12 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

don’t like that he’s been playing with, and making these “sacks” against 2nd and 3rd string players. In fact I’ve noticed from the tweets from camp almost every play he’s made has come when lined up against Eric Smith.

What do you expect though? He’s a 3rd round rookie who has never been on an NFL field, never had an NFL training camp. He’s where he needs to be. playing against guys that have the same experience level as him. He’s getting his feet wet. Quinnen is a different story. Quinnen is a #3 overall pick who has drawn comparisons to the best DT in football. It’s okay for QW to be in there with the 2nd teamers and eventually the 1st(as seen today) as early as he can.

Polite playing with the 2nd and 3rds isn’t an indictment on him or how he looks but more of just how they want to start him out. QW’s been with the 2nd team all of camp except today because Leo and Steve McClendon are absent. Otherwise he’d probably still be with the 2nd team despite how good he has looked.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

On 8/2/2019 at 10:58 PM, Jet hustle said:

Nathan shepherd used to work at Walmart.

Once and future? 

On 8/2/2019 at 10:09 PM, T0mShane said:

This Danielle Hunter?

danielle.PNG

The scariest thing about those numbers is that 252 lbs is 14th percentile.  When Polite got to 258 he was allowed to use it as an excuse for being slow and apparently it excused being horrible in interviews.  What percentile is 235 lbs?

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

Doesnt sound like too many of the rookies are getting 1st team reps.  Even Q. Will has been getting limited 1st team reps from what I've read.  They dont have the same amount of practices to get ready for week 1 and I think they're still in install mode so that has to play a factor.  Either way, would you rather hear he cant beat Eric Smith?  lol

He's a 3rd round draft pick.  He was never going to be an instant starter.  In general, pass rushers struggle their rookie season unless they're the top 3/5 pick types.  I wouldnt expect much more than some situational pass rusher moments from Polite this season.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2

Just now, JiF said:

He's a 3rd round draft pick.  He was never going to be an instant starter.  In general, pass rushers struggle their rookie season unless they're the top 3/5 pick types.  I wouldnt expect much more than some situational pass rusher moments from Polite this season.  

His tape was 1st round grade.  Shouldn't he be showing something early on based on his play against SEC O-Linemen?  Usually "projects" are a reverse situation:  They don't show a ton on tape but have the measurables that can translate. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I thought it was about a UF player being a bust.

Lots of those to talk about.  That's what happens when you put as many into the league as the Gators do.  Just a numbers game, ya know?

How many guys were drafted out of your alma mater this year? 

3 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

His tape was 1st round grade.  Shouldn't he be showing something early on based on his play against SEC O-Linemen?  Usually "projects" are a reverse situation:  They don't show a ton on tape but have the measurables that can translate. 

Well, that's kind of the whole thingy we're talking about now if you've been paying attention.  He's making plays.  They just reported he got 3 sacks in a row today and has been showing out lately.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

This is my only concern with him. He was projected middle to late 1st round in a lot of mocks before the combine.

We all know the story of why he fell to the third. My concern with him is which guy is he? The 1st round SEC guy, or the combine disaster guy?

We need him to become the former. Obviously nobody wants the latter of those options, but I don’t even think somewhere in the middle really helps us much either since we are so desperate for a pass rush off the edge.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

He can only make plays against the guys he's playing against.  But I agree it would be nice if he saw some action against/with the number ones.  Wouldn't be shocked to see him get some soon.

I'm not trying to say he's going to be a star or even a rotation guy.  Just making the point that it was beyond idiotic for the OP to decide he's a bust after a week of practices.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, JiF said:

I'm not following,  He can only beat the guy in front of him.  Are you saying he should be lining up vs. Beachum and beating him on the reg because he had 1st round tape?

I'm saying that him beating a UPS Driver doesn't tell me much about what he's capable of.  Eric Smith, a former Right Tackle at Virginia and 2017 UDFA who is already with his 3rd different team in the AFC East, is probably a lot worse than the OL he faced in the SEC.  It matters who is in front of you when evaluating a player.  Otherwise we'd get excited if we heard that Polite beat a High School kid on a swim move at some NFL charity camp.

If he gets on the 2nd Team defense and starts making plays (I.E. faces guys that might actually make an NFL roster) that will pique my interest. 

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

What do you expect though? He’s a 3rd round rookie who has never been on an NFL field, never had an NFL training camp. He’s where he needs to be. playing against guys that have the same experience level as him. He’s getting his feet wet. Quinnen is a different story. Quinnen is a #3 overall pick who has drawn comparisons to the best DT in football. It’s okay for QW to be in there with the 2nd teamers and eventually the 1st(as seen today) as early as he can.

Polite playing with the 2nd and 3rds isn’t an indictment on him or how he looks but more of just how they want to start him out. QW’s been with the 2nd team all of camp except today because Leo and Steve McClendon are absent. Otherwise he’d probably still be with the 2nd team despite how good he has looked.

No sense being reasonable in this thread!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, 14 in Green said:

This is my only concern with him. He was projected middle to late 1st round in a lot of mocks before the combine.

We all know the story of why he fell to the third. My concern with him is which guy is he? The 1st round SEC guy, or the combine disaster guy?

We need him to become the former. Obviously nobody wants the latter of those options, but I don’t even think somewhere in the middle really helps us much either.

It's the 3rd week of his professional career.  I believe he's just now getting down to the weight he wanted to be at.  He probably just figured out where the cafeteria is.  Polite might end up being a bust but acting like we can make that determination right now is simply ridiculous, no offense.

11 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I'm saying that him beating a UPS Driver doesn't tell me much about what he's capable of.  Eric Smith, a former Right Tackle at Virginia and 2017 UDFA who is already with his 3rd different team in the AFC East, is probably a lot worse than the OL he faced in the SEC.  It matters who is in front of you when evaluating a player.  Otherwise we'd get excited if we heard that Polite beat a High School kid on a swim move at some NFL charity camp.

If he gets on the 2nd Team defense and starts making plays (I.E. faces guys that might actually make an NFL roster) that will pique my interest. 

Right on, dog.  You do you!  When/if he does start to pique your interest, hit a brother up!  It will be cool.  We can do like a virtual high five or something.  And if he doesnt?  Well, I say we damn him to hell and find Big Macc and fire him again! 

I will be very happy if Polite turns out to be a good pick (or even solid pick for that matter).  Certainly there may be medical/fitness reasons which would explain a slow start.

But with that said....

Pass rushers who are eventually going to make a big impression in this league are very often making those impressions/ making an impact from day one of training camp... Like... Well like John Abraham or like Quinnen Williams for example.

On the other hand I have frequently seen this pattern: "it's way too early to talk about this (Kick, ban, ridicule)", "it's way too early",  "It's too early", "it's still to early...", "haven't we discussed this to death already?"

• The Boar Hunter
  • Hackenberg
  • Geno Smith
  • (Amongst many, many, many others)

So yes it is probably too early to cut him and eviscerate Macc some more, but no, it is not too early to take notice of a slow start.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

But the whole premise of this thread was the OP declaring him a bust.  Does not seem as if anyone is arguing that he will be a stud because he can beat Eric Smith.  He also beat Edoga for one of his sacks yesterday.  But to label him anything, stud or bust, after less than two weeks of TC practices is insane.  He could still be a bust; or he could be a player.  Don't know.

As a Jet fan I am rooting for him to succeed (even if he is a Gator).

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

52 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I’m glad he fell it benefitted the jets